PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Homemade Pot Lid

LostInSpace
08-27-2006, 21:50
I was not satisfied with various homemade pot lids that I made from oven liner pans or flashing, so I designed an alternate solution. The following steps will produce a fairly tight-fitting, lightweight lid.

Cut a circle of closed cell foam so that it fits snugly inside the pot. Quarter inch CCF works best, but is tougher to find than the thicker CCF.
Cut a circle of CCF, oven liner pan, or flashing so that it is the diameter of the outside of the pot.
Coat the CCF from step one with silicone and glue it to the piece from step two.
Cut a small circle of CCF and glue it with silicone to the center of the piece from step two. This will make a lightweight knob that you can grab without burning your fingers.
I only use my pots to boil water. However, if you cook in the pot and get food on this lid, you should be able to clean it up easily because the CCF is pretty impervious. I don’t think that steam should have an adverse effect on the CCF, although extended use of this lid might cause the CCF to shrink. Time will tell.