PDA

View Full Version : Stephenson's Warmlite

illusionistG
08-27-2006, 21:51
Any one out there have any comments or experiences with their products? I'm interested in their sleeping bags system
Thanks

www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com)

Tinker
08-27-2006, 22:11
Any one out there have any comments or experiences with their products? I'm interested in their sleeping bags system
Thanks

www.warmlite.com (http://www.warmlite.com)

I have a Warmlite triple bag purchased back in 1986 or 87. I use it quite rarely lately (actually, since about 1997, when I got lighter down bags). If you are looking for a seriously warm bag for winter use, this may be the best on the market. I used mine in an open front shelter at about 4,000 ft. in New Hampshire at about -20 degrees, with spindrift blowing into the open side of the shelter, and was very warm with the exception of my nose, which was the only thing exposed to the air. When I got up to cook breakfast, my fingers froze to my Whisperlite stove. To get them off, I blew warm breath onto them.
The only thing I've had a problem with is the air mattress. I've been through two valves (Stephenson replaced them - after warranty expired, for a price), and the fabric was too lightly coated, so some air was lost through it. They completely coated my mattress on the outside with a special coating which fixed that problem. Other than the weight and cost, the design is innovative and effective in minimizing heat loss with the use of a vapor barrier, and the mattress is extremely comfortable, better than my bed at home. Though I haven't used it for several years, I can't see selling it. I might just do some more winter camping this year.:D

illusionistG
08-28-2006, 10:50
Tinker...thanks for the input. I plan to do some late fall/early winter hiking in the Whites this year once I get my official blessing from Uncle Sammy to retire. I came across Stephenson's on the web, and their design does read as a good winter cold bag. I was hoping their bag product line would be a little lighter in weight. Maybe we'll cross paths in the Whites.

Creaky
08-28-2006, 13:34
I've had a Stephenson Triple for years, with an open cell mat. The bag is fantastic in the winter. I'd definitely go for the down/air mat now, though. The foam one is tough to pack, though it's very comfortable and warm enough. Given other high quality options, I'd only buy the Stephenson if I was going to be doing a lot of winter camping. For that, I think it's the best.

I still think Stephenson Warmlite tents are the best available. Light, quick to set up, and very roomy. I've used mine in many locations and virtually all weathers. I've never envied anyone using something else.

illusionistG
08-28-2006, 13:42
I think I'll check the tents out. I have a Shire "Squall" (and happy with it), but am always looking for new recommended lines.

BTW...has anyone ever visited their location? I noticed they're in Gilford, NH. I might drive by next time up, and get a tour.

waterboy99
08-28-2006, 13:45
We have two Stephenson tents, a 2R and 3R. I can't imagine what could ever cause us to use any other tents now. I tried the DAM sleeping pad but found them to hard to inflate on a daily basis. Stephenson took them back with no problems.

MOWGLI
08-28-2006, 16:37
I used a Stephenson Warmlite tent on my JMT hike. Excellent product - but very pricey (mine was borrowed). The tent I carried fit two folks + backpacks very comfortably. Weighed about 3 pounds. I highly recommend their tents.

Rambler
08-29-2006, 19:39
Tinker, your report is almost exactly what I would have to say. I had the valve repaired twice, now do not use it. I put a large thermarest into the pocket. You have to see the loft on this bag to believe it. The hood closes tightly. Spent a night in Hermit Lake shelter with the temps at -19 and the winds howling. (Urine froze up in the bottle had to go outside...otherwise peaceful night!) Have spent other sub-zero nights under the stars. Great winter bag. I use other options, like quilts, in the summer now to save the Warmlite for winter. I think I've had it since about 1980.

Rambler
08-29-2006, 19:42
Forgot to add that to fit it into your pack, you can divide it into two smaller pieces rather than one big bulky one.

wildyorkie
08-30-2006, 21:57
Warmlite tents are the only backpacking tents in which both the inner tent body and the fly are made from non-breathable sil-nylon fabric. I wonder if the tent would be more comfortable if an eVent-like material were substitued for the inner tent material.

Tinker
08-31-2006, 07:26
I think I'll check the tents out. I have a Shire "Squall" (and happy with it), but am always looking for new recommended lines.

BTW...has anyone ever visited their location? I noticed they're in Gilford, NH. I might drive by next time up, and get a tour.

I was there a couple of times in the mid 80's. It's worth a stop. I haven't met Jack's son, the owner of the business now, but his father seemed to be a decent fellow. He just insisted that you saw things his way. Then you could disagree, but you were wrong. :p

Tinker
08-31-2006, 07:31
Warmlite tents are the only backpacking tents in which both the inner tent body and the fly are made from non-breathable sil-nylon fabric. I wonder if the tent would be more comfortable if an eVent-like material were substitued for the inner tent material.

The tents are designed to draw dry (or drier) air in through the bottom vent(s) and, through a chimney effect, exhaust the warmer, moist air out the top vent. Using a porous fabric for the inner tent body would hamper this effect, and allow moisture to condense on the inside of the outer tent where, unlike a tent with a separate fly, you wouldn't be able to wipe it off. Jack knew what he was doing when he designed the tent, but like any tent, it allows moisture buildup inside in still, damp conditions.

Tinker
08-31-2006, 07:36
I've had a Stephenson Triple for years, with an open cell mat. The bag is fantastic in the winter. I'd definitely go for the down/air mat now, though. The foam one is tough to pack, though it's very comfortable and warm enough. Given other high quality options, I'd only buy the Stephenson if I was going to be doing a lot of winter camping. For that, I think it's the best.

I still think Stephenson Warmlite tents are the best available. Light, quick to set up, and very roomy. I've used mine in many locations and virtually all weathers. I've never envied anyone using something else.

The down air mats were not recommended by Jack for winter use when I bought my bag in 1987. The valves (made of vinyl) were prone to stiffening up in the cold and not sealing well. Also, in my personal experience, I've found that when you sit up on the pad, you push the air to the ends and end up feeling a little bit too much cold from the snow beneath your tent.
A small square of closed cell foam would help, and double as a camp sit pad as well. As for the valve, if you heat it up with your hands, or, as the catalogue says, push it up under your jacket to warm, it usually seals well, but sometimes leaks a little during the night.

MOWGLI
08-31-2006, 09:02

Yes, but you can vent them very effectively with the side flaps. To me - this is a non-issue.

wildyorkie
08-31-2006, 14:31
"Using a porous fabric for the inner tent body would hamper this effect, and allow moisture to condense on the inside of the outer tent where, unlike a tent with a separate fly, you wouldn't be able to wipe it off."

Why wouldn't the flow of air between the inner and outer tent vent the moisture?

MOWGLI
08-31-2006, 14:38
Why wouldn't the flow of air between the inner and outer tent vent the moisture?

There is no air flow between the two tent walls.

wildyorkie
08-31-2006, 14:58
"There is no air flow between the two tent walls."

Whoa. I'm trying to conceptualize this, because this is so different from the way other tents are made. In a typical tent, you have a fly which has ann opening at the bottom where the air enters and vents towards the top. So are you saying that there's no opening anywhere between the inner and outer fabric for air to circulate on a Warmlite?

wildyorkie
08-31-2006, 15:09
"There is no air flow between the two tent walls." Additional comment: It would seem to me that for warm weather camping, especially where the tent is exposed to the sun, that it would make sense to vent the air between the inner and out fabric, because otherwise the air trapped between the fabric would heat up like the air inside a locked car on a hot day. By venting the hot air, you'd have a cooler, nore comfortable tent.

mrc237
09-02-2006, 14:58
They're naturalists, their old site had many more ''natural'' photos.

illusionistG
09-02-2006, 15:03
You should see their catalog !!!!!!! O NAT-U-RAL...

MOWGLI
09-02-2006, 15:05
Whoa. I'm trying to conceptualize this, because this is so different from the way other tents are made. In a typical tent, you have a fly which has ann opening at the bottom where the air enters and vents towards the top. So are you saying that there's no opening anywhere between the inner and outer fabric for air to circulate on a Warmlite?

Yes, that is correct. The tent is more like a single wall tent. There is no external rain fly. It's a horse of a different color.

Tinker
09-10-2006, 00:52
I don't have an url handy, but you can see some of my gear at Webshots. Use search word tinkerdan.

Tinker
09-11-2006, 15:50
I don't have an url handy, but you can see some of my gear at Webshots. Use search word tinkerdan.

Here ya go.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/353116950iShRKx

There's other stuff here, too.

eric_plano
09-11-2006, 17:04
I opened that here at work before anyone said anything about 'natural' photos. :o I don't think anyone saw it but I jumped lol.