PDA

View Full Version : after dog's been skunked, how to get rid of smell?

1Pint
08-28-2006, 01:06
Does tomato juice really work to get out the skunk smell? Will regular dog shampoo work? Help!

Thanks,
Laura

Brrrb Oregon
08-28-2006, 02:43
I was trying to find out if anyone else had tried my friend's remedy of Dawn dish soap, which I have never used myself.

That idea, and then some.....Massengill douche? Yes, it is there. Sounds more gentle than Dawn.

Good luck!
http://www.ehow.com/tips_3017_6.html

1Pint
08-28-2006, 06:00
Thanks for the link!

Touch of Grey
08-28-2006, 06:51
My vet recommends Hydrogen Peroxide and soap for cleaning a skunked animal. So far as I know Tomatoe juice is one of those myths that just does not seem to pan out for most people.

I used to own a carpet cleaning business and while it does not directly relate to smelly dogs the science is still there. Basically it works on the principle of acids and bases it takes a stronger acid to remove a weaker one the same is true for bases. The addition of enzymes recently has added greatly to the advances in cleaning up pet smells such as urine (like people basically urine is sterile until it reaches the oxygen environment and then the reactions begin whereby the results are the formation of ammonias) and such in homes.

Again my vet recommends Hydrogen Peroxide baths. It has worked for me and others I work with who have had the same problem over the last several years.

TOG

Amigi'sLastStand
08-28-2006, 07:26
That product you see on TV "Urine Gone" works great. I have never used it personally, but our maintence ppl in my housing complex swear but it for skunk spray. We have more skunks than squirels here in the spring and fall and they spray ppls dogs all the time. Its cheap, so give it a shot.

Newb
08-28-2006, 08:09
Won't Hydrogen Peroxide turn your pooch into a bleached blonde?

Dances with Mice
08-28-2006, 08:22
Does tomato juice really work to get out the skunk smell? Will regular dog shampoo work? Help! Two options:

From an article in Chemical & Engineering News, here's a recipe of common items (http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/)you may already have. The article includes a FAQ and an explanation of the chemistry involved.

The second option is to get another dog.

Touch of Grey
08-28-2006, 09:25
From an article in Chemical & Engineering News, here's a recipe of common items (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eskunkremedy/home/)you may already have. The article includes a FAQ and an explanation of the chemistry involved. (Thanks DWM for this link)

As the above mentioned article states the percentage of solution and the time on body is minimal so the bleaching should also be minimal.

If I had a choice it would be to have a clean dog albeit possibly bleached. The alternative is something I would prefer not to live with (smelly dog or dead dog).

The bigger question besides getting another dog is will the dog have learned a lesson about dealing with skunks. Many do not. Spring and Fall are busy seasons for skunks (mating, etc.). Thus they are more active beginning about now in the north and farther south later as the weather changes. You cannot control what or where a skunk will do. You can if you have trained your dog properly control what it does.

TOG

Smile
08-28-2006, 10:46
The hydro.perox. works pretty well, have had this experience with two dogs. Short hair - cleans up, smells better in a week or two. Longer hair dogs, such as my border collie, takes about a month. Be aware that anywhere your dog lies even after bathing - such as on your bed or in your house - the stink can transfer there and others may notice it for weeks!

hope you get your pooch cleaned! ;-)

berninbush
08-28-2006, 11:20
Short hair - cleans up, smells better in a week or two. Longer hair dogs, such as my border collie, takes about a month.

Hmm, would shaving the dog help? Not pretty, but it might be worth it.

I dunno if Dawn is effective or not for this, but it should be safe. The commercials show them using it to clean endangered birds encased in an oil spill. Couldn't hurt to try.

rhjanes
08-28-2006, 11:26
We just let the vet do it.....They have the stuff in their bag's of tricks that will remove the smell, you don't have to deal with it....etc. Cost wasn't bad.

emerald
08-28-2006, 12:50
It might take more like 2 pints of tomato juice to make 1/2Pint smell like something other than a polecat 1Pint.;)

1Pint
08-28-2006, 13:53
It might take more like 2 pints of tomato juice to make 1/2Pint smell like something other than a polecat 1Pint.;)

Actually, my dog Half-Pint (how'd you guess?) was safely in the house when my roommate's dog Mattie got sprayed. Poor thing is locked in the garage today awaiting her fate (absolutely hates baths) when we all get home tonight.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We'll put on the rubber gloves and swimsuits and give it a go. Let y'all know what works.

emerald
08-28-2006, 14:05
I won't inquire as to how Mattie got her name.;) Good luck!

1Pint
08-28-2006, 14:25
I won't inquire as to how Mattie got her name.;) Good luck!

Just to keep things clean, I'll volunteer that Mattie (I'm told) is short for Matilda due to the dog being a mutt with some German Shepard mix.

hikerzim
08-28-2006, 14:29
My best friend (sam the dog) got hit by the local skunk. I tried the tomato Juice and it did reduce the smell somewhat, but he was still ripe. I gave him another the next night and it still did not help much... We did use some pet shampoo that did seem to help, but I do not know its name. After awhile you get used to the smell, hey, it even started to smell okay after awhile! :o I would check with your local vet...

emerald
08-28-2006, 14:32
I was thinking she didn't get brushed often.:) Guess I was wrong on the origins of that name too.:o

SteveJ
08-28-2006, 23:53
mythbusters did an episode on removing skunk odor - don't believe it was on dogs, tho....

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2004/09/mythbusters_solar_death_ray_sk.html

Removing skunk odor with...:

Tomato juice: plausible
Beer (MGD): busted
Douche: busted
Hydrogen peroxide + baking soda + liquid dish soap: confirmed
Commercial skunk remover: confirmed (not as good as custom mix above)

Smile
08-29-2006, 04:05
Wow, missed that episode of mythbusters!
Thanks for posting that SJ. I had never heard of the beer myth/option before.

HIKER7s
08-29-2006, 07:10
after dog's been skunked, how to get rid of smell?

GET THE SKUNK
KEEP IT IN A SHIELDED LIVE TRAP (IT WONT SPRAY IF IT IS COVERED UP (MOST O THE TIME ANYWAY)
GET EVERYONE WHO LIVES WITH THE DOG IN THE SAME ROOM, MAYBE EVEN YOUR SHED

EVERYBODY START HOLLERING AND CARRYING ON LET THEY SKUNK SEE YOU ALL

SPSSSSSSSSSSS-THERE YOU GO ...YOU WONT BE ABLE TO TELL THE DOG STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!

SteveJ
08-29-2006, 20:51
Wow, missed that episode of mythbusters!
Thanks for posting that SJ. I had never heard of the beer myth/option before.

you're welcome! I have an 11 - yr old who's goal in life since he was 4 is to be a scientist who invents drugs to help sick people.... We watch every science / analytically oriented show there is! Mythbusters is one of his favorites - we haven't missed an episode!

1Pint
08-29-2006, 21:21
mythbusters did an episode on removing skunk odor - don't believe it was on dogs, tho....

Removing skunk odor with...:
[LIST]
Tomato juice: plausible
Beer (MGD): busted

Now what idiot would even contemplate wasting perfectly good beer on cleaning something?? Glad that was proven to be a myth! Although, now that I reread your post, I notice it was MGD... never mind my earlier comments... clean away. ;-)

I'm happy to report that 1 application of dishwashing soap worked perfectly. Sadly, I'm sure we'll be doing it again as she didn't get the connection between the stink and the skunk. I think there's a family of them in the woods around the house 'cause we can smell a hint of Pepe several nights every week.

HIKER7s
08-30-2006, 07:49
Now what idiot would even contemplate wasting perfectly good beer on cleaning something??

I thought the same thing however how about an old can of Schimts, and old or new can of Coors or the old reliable not good for anything except cool commercials and headaches- BUD.

NEVER however would I use St Pauli Girl, Molsen, Fosters, Labatts or Red Hook

There is one out there I like and WOULD use it also to wash or scour things with and thats Pete's Wicked- what a bite it has

Critterman
08-30-2006, 08:35
Call your Vet and get a product called " Skunk Off ". Comes as a shampoo and a liquid. Get the liquid and satuate the dog with it and the odor will be gone. I have used it a number of times and nothing works better. Some pharmacies also care it.

1Pint
08-31-2006, 22:38
I thought the same thing however how about an old can of Schimts, and old or new can of Coors or the old reliable not good for anything except cool commercials and headaches- BUD.

NEVER however would I use St Pauli Girl, Molsen, Fosters, Labatts or Red Hook

There is one out there I like and WOULD use it also to wash or scour things with and thats Pete's Wicked- what a bite it has

Continuing the list of never to be used for anything less than savoring....
Guinness, Blue Moon, Left Hand Sawtooth, Old Speckled Hen, Fat Tire Amber Ale, Unibroue Tres Pistoles....

Forget the pool tournament - anyone up for a 2170-mile beer tour? Maybe those go together like PB & jelly. Okay, pool tournaement and a beer tour.

Cleveland area's got a chain bar (The Winking Lizard) that does an annual 100-beer sampling beer tour. You get the list and as you sample each one, they mark it off. I bet we could put together an awesome sampling list for the trip. Last one to Katahdin with all the beers sampled wins. Yes, last. I have absolutely no chance of being first, so why would I make that the goal?!

Smile
08-31-2006, 23:57
to be a scientist who invents drugs to help sick people

Now THERE is noble idea! :) - unlike what the drug companies goals are today. Sounds like a terrific kid!

Twofiddy
09-02-2006, 20:49
If you get the soap they use for life jackets and neopreen wetsuits, Stink Off, Sink the Stink, Neoprene Seat Cover Soap etc, use the whole bottle in a 25 gallon tub or some other kind of small container that the dog fits in and soak the dog in it.

MAKE ABSOLOUTLY CERTAIN THAT THE DOG DOES NOT EAT ANY OF THE SOAP.

That will get rid of 90% of the smell.

Repeat it again, and a third time if necessary.

Some K9 sites on the internet have a soap that is similar.

Creepy Uncle
09-03-2006, 00:22
A Handful of non-diluted Dr. Bronners has always worked well enough for me.

and she's peppermint fresh