PDA

View Full Version : New Tripoli site in PA questions

Kyler
08-28-2006, 11:02
Has anyone been to the New Tripoli campsite in PA recently? The map shows a spring, is there any chance that there is running water at this point in the summer? Also, I have the guidebook/maps for PA, but there is nothing in there about bear regulations. Is there any bear activity in this area?

emerald
08-28-2006, 13:17
This portion of the A.T. is managed not by BMECC as originally stated, but rather by Allentown Hiking Club. Allentown Hiking Club can be contacted at the following email address [email protected].

Someone else may respond to your question who has been to the spring you mention within the last few days. I live west of there, but I can tell you we had heavy rain last night.

emerald
08-28-2006, 13:35
According to ALDHA's Online Companion, there's a tap at Blue Mountain Summit, where the A.T. crosses PA 309, 1.8 miles south of the blue-blazed trail to New Tripoli Campsite.

Kyler
08-28-2006, 22:12
This portion of the A.T. is managed by BMECC. You can email them by clicking here (http://www.bmecc.org/contact_us.htm). They may be your best source of information.

Someone else may respond to your question who has been to the spring you mention within the last few days. I live west of there, but I can tell you we had heavy rain last night.

Thanks for the info. I'm about an hour or so south of there, and it's been raining on and off here since Wednesday night.

fiddlehead
08-29-2006, 01:12
As with this shelter and others in this area, i always found that if the spring is dry, follow it downhill and eventually you will find it running again. Sometimes, in a dry season and in August, you must go halfway down the mtn or even more, but the spring is usually eventually flowing.
Sounds like there's been rain nearby lately. You won't die of thirst out there, it's PA and you can always walk all the way down the mtn and there will be a stream or house or whatever.
As to the bear question, yes there can be bears on any part of the trail in PA, but this state has a legal hunting season for bears which means they are usually afraid of humans. Consider yourself lucky if you get a glimpse of one.

emerald
08-29-2006, 01:33
Before someone calls to my attention my erroneous message I posted, I'll correct it myself. The A.T. between PA 309 and Bake Oven Knob Road is in fact managed by Allentown Hiking Club. I apologize for any inconvenience that may have resulted.

darkage
10-26-2011, 22:05
Anyone know about the water at new tripoli here in late October?