PDA

View Full Version : WhiteBlaze hiker feed coming up real soon

attroll
08-28-2006, 13:14
This is just a reminder about the WhiteBlaze hiker feed and get together coming up on 16 and 17 September.

We are getting all the goodies together now. For those that have not read about it you can view it here. WhiteBlaze hiker feed (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=204523#post204523) So far we have The Scribe and Legs helping us out with it. Everyone is welcome to come and help.

It look like we will have plenty of food fore the 16th and for breakfast on the 17th. Come help us eat all this food we are putting on.

TJ aka Teej
08-28-2006, 18:38
Looks like I'll try to hike in, Rick. See you there!

Jack Tarlin
08-28-2006, 19:06
Troll:

As it gets closer to the event, please post here regularly with a description of what people have committed to bringing, and more importantly, list the items that you still need. That'll make it easier for folks who want to bring something useful.

A final comment....it's great that folks have always "pitched" in with soda, chips, ice, fruit, etc., but the reality is that events like this usually get paid for primarily by a handful of individuals, in this case Mr. and Mrs. AT Troll and Steve Longley.

While I hope everyone who shows up brings something along that the hikers and other guests will enjoy, the fact remains that the best way to help support this event is to either leave something nice in the donation box if you're coming, or perhaps you can send Troll or Steve a small check if you're not.

Every dime collected goes to the event.

Thanx!!

ferryman
09-01-2006, 19:59
September is finally here and so are the droves of thru-hikers reaching the Kennbec River. The temps are cool in the evening but the days warm up beautifully into the seventies. On Day 105 on the Kennebec Ferry, we are on a roll, looking forward to a great old fashioned hiker celebration and gathering right here on the banks of the river on Saturday September 16. We got the place, a big ol' tent (30x50), lots of firewood, hot showers and hiker laundry, resupply store and lots of space to set up 60+ tents. Heck, we even got a microbrewery one mile up the road putting out some fine tasting homemade brew. Still putting a list of activites together including: whitewater rafting, gentle canoe rides, horseshoes, washer boards, music system and whatever we can come up with between eating tasty burgers and hot dogs. It ain't fancy, it's just country living. C'mon and join us for a real honest to goodness righteous time and remember it's on... rain or (moon)shine. Welcome class of 2006 and former thru-hikers from many years past. We'll be waiting for ya'll! Your Hosts, Steve and Sue

boarstone
09-03-2006, 09:07
I'm disappointed I can't make it on the 16th as I am doing shuttles/food drops that weekend, if I can make it for Sunday I'll be there! :(

Smile
09-03-2006, 16:46
Sure wish I was up that neck of the woods to meet everybody and help out. Hope you all have a terrific feed, Maybe next time :)

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2006, 14:44
Troll:

Could you perhaps get in touch with Steve, and then get back to us here with a list of things you guys still might need. And if you post that list again, say next Wednesday or Thursday, it'll help out folks who are planning to attend who want to help out with last-minute extras.

Off the top of my head, remembering last year, if people wanna bring some fun additions, side dishes or desserts are always good. For example, if anyone wants to bring along salad mixings, dressing, and a great big tin foil pan, this would be a nice treat for salad-starved hikers. Chips, dips, and salsa will also be popular. And cakes and pies are always welcome, likewise muffins, coffee cake, donuts, etc., that we can put out at breakfast. Extra juice and milk wouldn't hurt either, as it always runs out, and maybe more coffee. If everyone that arrives brings just one or two things, it'll go a long way, as well as making things a lot easier for Troll and Steve.

Anyway, Troll let us know what's going on and what you might need, even if it's something unusual like an extra grill, propane tank, or whatever.

Likewise, if anyone has access to deals on things like cups, plates, cutlery, paper goods, etc. in quantity let Troll know as we go thru a lot of this.

attroll
09-06-2006, 01:01
Troll:

Could you perhaps get in touch with Steve, and then get back to us here with a list of things you guys still might need. And if you post that list again, say next Wednesday or Thursday, it'll help out folks who are planning to attend who want to help out with last-minute extras.

Off the top of my head, remembering last year, if people wanna bring some fun additions, side dishes or desserts are always good. For example, if anyone wants to bring along salad mixings, dressing, and a great big tin foil pan, this would be a nice treat for salad-starved hikers. Chips, dips, and salsa will also be popular. And cakes and pies are always welcome, likewise muffins, coffee cake, donuts, etc., that we can put out at breakfast. Extra juice and milk wouldn't hurt either, as it always runs out, and maybe more coffee. If everyone that arrives brings just one or two things, it'll go a long way, as well as making things a lot easier for Troll and Steve.

Anyway, Troll let us know what's going on and what you might need, even if it's something unusual like an extra grill, propane tank, or whatever.

Likewise, if anyone has access to deals on things like cups, plates, cutlery, paper goods, etc. in quantity let Troll know as we go thru a lot of this.
The only thing I am tasking Steve with is supply the space and he has assured me of that.

This is what we have on our list so far for items coming and accounted for. We don't need any help with anything on this list it looks to be all set. But as Jack mentioned here are some other things that we do not have on the list that might be nice. Cakes, pies, muffins, coffee cake, donuts. If you can think of anything else let me know and bring it.

If you want to bring Veggies then we can use some help with that. We have had Vegetarians at every hiker feed we have held so far.

Here is what we have so far and the users that are bringing it:

225 hamburgers or more (attroll)
225 hamburger buns or more (attroll)
Hot dogs 100 or more (Legs)
Hot dogs buns 100 or more (Legs)
1 bushel of corn (attroll)
1 bushel of apples (attroll)
75 veggie burger (attroll)
10 cases Soda (attroll) can use some help on this
10 bags of Chips (attroll)
Ketchup (attroll)
Mustard (attroll)
onions (attroll)
pickles (attroll)
relish (attroll)
butter (attroll)
a couple of shakers of salt (attroll)
a couple of shakers of pepper (attroll)
Ratatoullie (The Scribe)
Pot of Chili (The Scribe)
300 plates, maybe more (Legs)
Utensils (Legs)
Coffee maker (The Scribe)
Coffee (The Scribe)
3 heads lettuce at least (walkin' wally)
150 cups (walkin' wally) (unsure on this amount right now), probably more
Veggies can use some help on this

Breakfast
16 dozen Eggs (attroll)
maybe biscuits and gravy for breakfast (The Scribe)
10 Gallons of Orange Juice (attroll)
Pancake batter (attroll)
Syrup (walkin' wally)<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

TJ aka Teej
09-06-2006, 06:41
I plan on being at Katahdin the night of the 15th. Maybe I'll bring some bring a hiker or three :D

attroll
09-06-2006, 13:54
I plan on being at Katahdin the night of the 15th. Maybe I'll bring some bring a hiker or three :D
Cool, bring as many as you can.

Sly
09-06-2006, 19:46
Wow, lots of food, you guys should have a blast, wish it wasn't so far away

Hey, I propose when Sgt Rock finally gets stateside we have a southern Whiteblaze feed in his honor. I'd be more than willing to make the arrangements... say next Spring at Big Creek, end of the BMT, end of April (he'll be home by then right?).

PS- Just called, the offices are closed (says they take reservations 5 months in advance) and the internet site only takes reservations for the rest of the season (10/31)

We have nearly three months to kick this around before we can actually make reservations. From what I see, the group site holds 25, then there's the tent site (12), Mnt Moma's, Standing Bear, Davenport Gap Shelter... should be more than enough...

I'll need a co-coodinator since I'll be hiking, but I'll be able to make it a couple days in advance.

Thoughts??

Alligator
09-06-2006, 21:39
Wow, lots of food, you guys should have a blast, wish it wasn't so far away

Hey, I propose when Sgt Rock finally gets stateside we have a southern Whiteblaze feed in his honor. I'd be more than willing to make the arrangements... say next Spring at Big Creek, end of the BMT, end of April (he'll be home by then right?).

PS- Just called, the offices are closed (says they take reservations 5 months in advance) and the internet site only takes reservations for the rest of the season (10/31)

We have nearly three months to kick this around before we can actually make reservations. From what I see, the group site holds 25, then there's the tent site (12), Mnt Moma's, Standing Bear, Davenport Gap Shelter... should be more than enough...

I'll need a co-coodinator since I'll be hiking, but I'll be able to make it a couple days in advance.

Thoughts??Great idea. He might be hiking? If not, a new thread would help. I am going to have my arms full in Jan-April or else I'd offer to coordinate.

TJ aka Teej
09-07-2006, 11:55
The front page 'Hiker Feed' notice links back to an old thread - why not this one?
I'm heading up to Monson tonight, hiking and climbing for a few days, ending up at Baxter Sunday and Monday. I'll spread the word about the feed!

attroll
09-07-2006, 12:04
The front page 'Hiker Feed' notice links back to an old thread - why not this one?
I'm heading up to Monson tonight, hiking and climbing for a few days, ending up at Baxter Sunday and Monday. I'll spread the word about the feed!I correct that. Thank you TJ.

attroll
09-11-2006, 01:41
Only four more days until the hiker feed.
If anyone else would like to help or suggest anything else then let me know.
Here are is the final list of what we will have on hand and your hosts that will be supplying it under the WhiteBlaze banner.

======================================

225 hamburgers or more (attroll)
225 hamburger buns or more (attroll)
Hot dogs 160 (Legs)
Hot dogs buns 160 (Legs)
1 bushel of corn (attroll)
1 bushel of apples (attroll)
75 veggie burger (attroll)
10 cases Soda (attroll) can use some help on this
10 bags of Chips (attroll)
Ketchup (attroll)
Mustard (attroll)
onions (attroll)
pickles (attroll)
relish (attroll)
butter (attroll)
a couple of shakers of salt (attroll)
a couple of shakers of pepper (attroll)
Ratatouille (The Scribe)
Pot of Chili (The Scribe)
Veggie stir fry (attroll)
400 plates, maybe more (Legs)
Utensils (Legs)
2 Coffee makers (The Scribe)
Coffee (The Scribe)
3 heads lettuce at least (walkin' wally)
400 cups (Legs)
Veggies

Breakfast
16 dozen Eggs (attroll)
Biscuits and gravy for breakfast (The Scribe)
10 Gallons of Orange Juice (attroll)
7 boxes of Pancake batter (attroll)
8 bottles of Syrup (walkin' wally)

Jack Tarlin
09-11-2006, 13:47
Won't be able to make it as I'm too busy shutting things down here in Hanover before heading South for four weeks of hiking before the ALDHA Gathering.

To everyone who's going to Caratunk, have a GREAT weekend, and hope to see you all soon.

pipesmoke
09-11-2006, 15:29
Meanderthal and I are planning to be there. We're bringing soda, pasta salad, american copped suey, and breads (oatmeal and bananna). Also have a grill on board. See you Sat. AM.

arla
09-14-2006, 17:09
as much i would love to come i am stuck in benning vermont i made to gorum and re hurt my foot. I now need a ride home to north ga or anywhere close by the 28th of sept. for my niese 8th B-day. I figure this is a shot in the dark but it dont hurt to try. much love bluebird and jazzmen GA to VA 05 NJ to NH 06

mweinstone
09-14-2006, 18:11
sorry no.....cant,,,.....wont cause cant and dont . no.

ferryman
09-14-2006, 20:34
Since last Sunday, over 60 hikers have crossed the Kennebec River going both north and south. The word is out on the trail and we have passed notices to Maine trail towns outta Stratton, Monson, Andover and even Millinocket to get hikers on down to The Forks for a good old feed. We are expecting good weather with lots of food available to celebrate the class of 2006. We will surely miss the presence of Balt Jack, but the show must go on as does the ferry service with our 19th year (17,600 safe crossing) and nothing can stop us now. It's a good bet that those who make it to the Whiteblaze gathering will remember the food fest for many years to come. Kinda like memories of hiking the whole Appalachian Trail with some wholesome trail magic thrown in! Git in your rig and pick up all AT thru-hikers on your way to The Forks, Maine, Now!! See you here, Steve Longley:banana

attroll
09-15-2006, 12:48
I am in the proccess of packing up the truck now and getting all the goods loaded for the hiker feed. We should be leaving the house here at about 5 or so. I look forward to the feed and hope to see some of you there. I

attroll
09-15-2006, 12:49
I am in the process of packing up the truck now and getting all the goods loaded for the hiker feed. We should be leaving the house here at about 5 or so. I look forward to the feed and hope to see some of you there. I want to thank the following people ahead of time for helping out with the food.
The Scribe and his wife.
Legs and his wife.
Walkin' Wally.
and Steve for letting us use his place.

Gray Blazer
09-15-2006, 13:45
Wish I could make it. Have a good time.

Cheesewhiz
09-16-2006, 09:22
Anybody shooting through andover to head to the feed, I would like to attend if I can get a ride to there and back from andover

attroll
09-17-2006, 18:32
Sorry you were not able to make it to the hiker feed Cheesewhiz. We had a good time and plenty of food. We did not have as big of a turn out as we usually do, but we had plenty of food and a good time.

boarstone
09-17-2006, 18:43
Okay Attroll: By tomorrow we all wanna' hear about it.....:banana