PDA

View Full Version : Is Lowe Alpine good backpacks?

Hana_Hanger
08-28-2006, 13:40
I am running out of time and having trouble fitting everything including a bear canister for the JMT hike coming up in Sept/Oct. With cold weather gear and extra food ...because no resupply places are open.

I did not purchase a huge backpack, and my Mountainsmith Ghost and my Jansport Alpine 49 are both about 3000+ cc and are not large enough.
All of my other packs are day or fanny ones, and all the combos I have tried nothing is working out.

I HATE to spend anymore money and noticed Sierra Trading is having a lot of the Lowe Alpine for very low costs. I know about LowePro camera bags....is this the same Company by chance?

Anyone having used these packs please let me know if you have had any trouble with them holding up. My pack varies between 34 and 38 pounds this includes food and water for 5 days. I hate things on the outside of the pack other than camp shoes and say a CCF pad. So I would need to put that darn bear canister in the pack also.

TwoForty
08-28-2006, 13:47
I think they are good quality packs, but their designs don't suit me. They aren't too light or heavy, for the most part.
I like my Ophir for the most part. It is 4 lbs 3 oz and 3600ci. I could *barely* for a Garcia in it.

Hana_Hanger
08-28-2006, 14:44
Thank you TwoForty I am still looking and trying to figure out how I can take less of course...but with possible snow and not accustom to cold any longer there is just no way.
Just Bearly...huh? I think I will need to find a pack that is 3800 to 4000ci then.
Thanks for the help :)

bigcranky
08-28-2006, 15:12
Lowe makes good packs. They were one of the first companies to make a woman-specific pack, the Sirocco, which as fair as I know is still available. That was my wife's first internal-frame pack, and the first pack that truly fit her properly. The pack is traditional construction, which means it's somewhat heavy for the volume, but it has the volume and the frame for larger loads.

Toolshed
08-28-2006, 21:36
Love my 1994 Lowe Alpine Contour IV, it isi getting old but ut us still sturdy and rugged and virtually no signs of wear with easily several thousands miles on it.

Hana_Hanger
08-28-2006, 21:45
Wonderful ...Thanks for the comments everyone!

I have to adjust to no hammock might as well adjust to a larger pack too :)
My only worry is I will NOW what to bring all those Luxury items.

Blissful
08-28-2006, 21:55
I have the Lowes Alpamayo I got from Sierra several years back. My hubby got it for me. It never fit me right, though, and it's very heavy. But it's very durable and with lots of space. However it's too heavy for a thru at over 7 lbs so I may be looking at the Gregory Deva. I did like the lumbar support on it which the Gregory also seems to have.

Blissful
08-28-2006, 21:57
Love my 1994 Lowe Alpine Contour IV, it isi getting old but ut us still sturdy and rugged and virtually no signs of wear with easily several thousands miles on it.

Ny hubby had his for sixteen years. The coating is almost worn off but he just loved his. But it's time for a new pack - or so I tell him. :)

Hana_Hanger
08-28-2006, 22:02
Well there is no doubt then they are well made and will last.
I just hated to spend a lot of money for a pack I may use only once maybe twice.
Thanks I am looking right now to see what they have left under $100 if possible.
I just did not want to get the pack and have it fall apart on me in the middle of no where :0) Dental floss and duck tape I always carry...but would hate to have to use it :D

Blissful
08-28-2006, 22:07
Well there is no doubt then they are well made and will last.
I just hated to spend a lot of money for a pack I may use only once maybe twice.
Thanks I am looking right now to see what they have left under $100 if possible.
I just did not want to get the pack and have it fall apart on me in the middle of no where :0) Dental floss and duck tape I always carry...but would hate to have to use it :D

Wow, I'd sell you mine. No way will that thing fall apart, he he :) Except I still need a backpack for a trip in mid Sept and not sure when I'll get my new one.

Pacific Tortuga
08-28-2006, 22:28
How about renting one from REI once you get to Cal ? You may never need a bag that big again... I like Lowe Alpine, they are strong and heavy.

homebrew
08-29-2006, 08:11
:sun I used a Lowe Alpine Contour III for my 2006 thru-hike. Its a little heavy at about 6.5 pounds. But it is very durable and could take allot of everyday trail abuse. After 2.174.2 miles the wear spots showed up on the hip belt and where the shoulder harness comes in contact with the pack but nothing ever broke and my pack weight was 40-43 pounds with a full load and (5-6 days of food). Mine came with an adjustable torso fit-perfect for my 6"5" frame. 4300 cu. in. pack. Cut all the unnesseary straps off or trim them down to a user friendly length. Get a food bag and forget about the "bear canster" unless you are going to hike grizzly country.
I purchased mine at a REI scratch and dent sale and haggled the price down to $70 it was a brand new pack (display modle from 04 or 05').

icemanat95
08-29-2006, 08:33
Let's put some things into perspective here.

In 1995, the most popular brand of backpacks was Dana Designs, there were a lot of Gregory's and Kelty's and Camp Trails as well. Dana Designs packs are known for two things....toughness and comfort under load....OK three things, they cost an arm and a leg. By today's standards they are very heavy, but by the standards of the time, they weren't out of line.

Don't get hung up on the weight of the pack...it's not going to make or break your hike.

TwoForty
08-29-2006, 10:52
Get a food bag and forget about the "bear canster" unless you are going to hike grizzly country.

I highly recommend ignoring that. First of all, bear cansiters are required for parts (if not all) of the JMT. Whether you need it or not, you may be violating a rule.
I wouldn't venture out there without a bear can unless I was extremely confident in my bear bagging abilities and cooking habits (cooking away from camp, etc).
Getting fined, possibly killing a bear, and surely cutting your trip short/going hungry aren't worth it.