PDA

View Full Version : update DavidNH (snickers) 5 months and still going...! some comments..

DavidNH
08-28-2006, 19:22
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to tshare this with everyone .. that I am still progressing up the AT.

I started on the Approach trail to Springer Mountain in Georgia back on March 21 2006. As of August 26 (have taken 2 zero days so now it is 8/28) I am in Gorham, NH. I have finished the Whites and am ready for the Mahoosics and the forecast looks good for rest of the week. I have 298 miles left to Mt. Katahdin and hope/plan to get there by end of September. Unlike many, I want to not rush..I want to enjoy Maine to the fullest! In fact, when I got to New England I reduced my mileage to 15 or less mpd and did only 5-10 miles per day through most of the whites.

On this trip I have found:

Pennsylvania was perhaps my biggest test. 4 days of near solid rain after Port Clinton. Eastern PA I walked over Rediculously rocky trail that destroyed a pair of boots. Less than stunning scenery. And the state covers 240 miles of trail.

I have experimented with light weight gear (ie alcohol stove, sneaker foot wear, tarp tent etc) but now I am back to the gear I started with.. ie warmer bag, whisper lite stove, self supporting all weather 4 lb tent, boots (new pair.. vasque breeze). I just find that this works better for me. I am carrying a 40-45+ lb load (but never over 50) and yes its heavy.. but I can carry it and I find that the pack is always heavy regardless of weight..it always seems to gain weight during course of day even as food and water is consumed. Go figure. Anyway, better to have a few extra pounds and some comfort. Besides.. all the ultra lite folks seem to always hike so fast.. If someone would hike light AND slow then I'd be more impressed.

I keep a slow but steady pace, always looking around and stopping when I want to take pictures or snack.

I will absolutely summit Katahdin, barring injury or a very early winter. At this point I am convinced. That is a long way to come from all my nervousness and self doubt at the start of the trip.

My trail name...chosen by me... is Snickers. I love eating snicker bars on the trail.

The weather has mostly cooperated. Wonderful in the south in spring when in rained buckets in New England and now getting nice and cool and dry here in New England!

Some may have trouble believing this.. but it really is possible to thru hike the AT with out drinking Beer. I don't drink, never have, and after what I have seen on the trail, never will drink! Ditto for smoking ciggarettes.

David (Snickers).

PS A special thanks to Roland who gave Bama and I a ride into Gorham this past Saturday!!

PPS Don't let anyone in any way deminish how great an accomplishment thru hiking this trail is...regardless if it is done in 4 months, 6 or 7 months. It is really hard. Even if your pack is heavy or you slack it is still hard.

By the way.. I want it known that I have not and will not be doing any slack packing ...except perhaps for going up Katahdin which I think most everyone slack packs!

Lone Wolf
08-28-2006, 19:26
Good for you. You're doing it your way. I'm a heavyweighter/low mileager too. Keep on truckin!:)

icemanat95
08-28-2006, 19:48
Good for you. I had been wondering how you were doing.

I've lightened up my gear a bit since I thru-hiked, but I would still be considered a heavyweight hiker by today's standards.

Ewker
08-28-2006, 23:04
Snickers, good luck on the rest of your trip. I met Bama in the Smokies back in April.

Smile
08-28-2006, 23:41
Way to go Snickers! Keep up the good hike, looking forward to reading your post after you summit the BigK.

peace sent your way!

TOW
08-29-2006, 11:26
right on snickers!

Ender
08-29-2006, 11:47
Congrats. Hope you're having a great time out there.

Gray Blazer
08-29-2006, 18:58
Good for you. You're doing it your way. I'm a heavyweighter/low mileager too. Keep on truckin!:)

HEY!! HEY!! Im way heavier and slower than you and/or anybody else at this website!:rolleyes:

mweinstone
08-29-2006, 19:23
good luck im gonna follow your progress reports and post your pics!

Cheesewhiz
08-29-2006, 20:57
Way to go Snickers, I was just wondering about you the other day. I have not sen your enteries lately. I am now sitting in glencliff and will hit the whites thurs. Right now I have a pretty bad sinus infection that I need to mend before I hit the elevation again. Keep on keepin' on!!!

tiptoe
08-29-2006, 21:05
Good to hear you're still on the trail, Snickers. Must have been those great meals at Bascom Lodge that gave you the energy to continue.

Rendezvous01
08-29-2006, 21:45
Go Snickers!
You hike like me. Don't hurry, don't worry. I agree with your implication that many ultra-lighters seem to be in a rush, but to each his own.
Glad to know that you've been putting all that info you gleaned from WB this past winter to good use this summer.
Looking forward to reading that you have completed your journey. May your last state be the best.

Best wishes,
Ron

Teatime
08-30-2006, 01:41
You mean there's another thru-hiker besides MS? :eek: Seriously, I enjoyed your post. On my first section hike (Springer, including approach trail, to Dicks Creek Gap) I wore Bean Cresta Hikers and was carrying about 40 lbs. I was only doing between 7-10 miles/day with a few longer. Of the 4 section hikes I've done so far, that was the most memorable and fun. Lately, I've been trying to go lighter and faster, but find I'm enjoying it less. Who know's, maybe I'll even go back to an external frame pack and wooden walking staff.;)
Congratulations on your progress and best wishes for the rest of your hike.

Teatime
08-30-2006, 01:47
Without prying, I see you and I are close to the same age. I would love to do a thru-hike but my situation is such that I can't at this time. You know, child in school, bills, baseball practices, work, etc. How did you manage it? Don't get me wrong, I love watching my 7-year old son play the greatest game ever invented as much as I like hiking, maybe more. However, if I'm gonna thru-hike, I don't want to wait until I can barely walk.

LongIslandBob
08-30-2006, 17:07
YOU GO David/Snickers! I remember reading all your anxious posts before starting and I'm glad it has all come together for you. And you're hiking YOUR hike, which is the way to do it. Keep on going... the best part is yet to come!

jgop_151
09-05-2006, 01:15
Dave from Concord!

Not sure if you'll remember me, but my friend and I James (Rocky) started the trail with you the same day. We were the two younger guys with shaved heads hiking together from Portland, ME .Flew on the same flight with you out of Boston, and stayed with you at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega. Good to hear you're still hiking! I wonder about alot of the folks we started with. I actually have a picture of you and Red Barren having lunch at the Hawk Mountain shelter. I can email it to you if you would like. Rocky and I summited Katahdin on July 20. We hiked faster than most because we were on a fairly tight budget. Nonetheless, it was an amazing hike, and I hope to get to do it again someday when I have more money and can take it slower. Do you know if Red Barren, or any of the other folks we started with have finished or are still going? Good luck to you on the last leg of your journey, and congratulations on making it this far!

Justin (Bullwinkle)