PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find A Shuttle (SNP)

adh24
08-29-2006, 08:15
Having trouble finding a shuttle for my hike this October in SNP. I've been going down the list of shuttle services off the ATC's web site. I'm down to one more person that I still have to contact and the cab service that runs out of Front Royal. I was trying to avoid the cab service just based on their costs. Although I have nothing to compare them against. On the shuttle list it states their rate is $1 / mile. Is that a fair estimate amongst other shuttlers in the area or is the cab service over priced?

Here's my situation: Two hikers, We would be arriving in Front Royal Monday, Oct. 16th. In the afternoon. We will be parking our car at the northern end of the park at Rt. 522. Looking for someone to shuttle us to our starting point at Skyland. Any feed back would be appreciated.

MOWGLI
08-29-2006, 08:18
On the shuttle list it states their rate is $1 / mile. Is that a fair estimate amongst other shuttlers in the area or is the cab service over priced?

Yes - that is pretty standard. Especially considering the current price of gas.

adh24
08-29-2006, 08:38
Ok just so I know, didn't want to have to pay more than I have to. Thanks

littledragon
08-29-2006, 09:01
When are you planning to be there?

Gray Blazer
08-29-2006, 12:50
I should have posted this under cheap hiker trash.....is there anyone else out there or am I the only one who leaves the car in one spot, hikes in for two, three, four days and then turns around and hikes back to my own car? My AT miles would be doubled if I shuttled, but, it's just not worth the effort or the money. I don't mind seeing the same scenery twice and it may even be better weather the second time. HYOH

sparky2000
08-29-2006, 12:55
I don't think that the shuttles are still one dollar/mile. They have been allowed to go up with the price increase (1.75/ for Dela. Water Gap). In fact they are the one's who would probably shuttle you.

d2m
08-29-2006, 13:07
try mike evans . mike runs the terripan station hostle. i know he runs shuttles in the area , but i'm not sure if he runs them so late in the season.

long haul

adh24
08-29-2006, 15:18
Tried Mike never heard back from him. I talked to skyline, I guess Mike is working for SNP and he believes the job is take up a lot of his time.

Lone Wolf
08-29-2006, 15:20
Park and hitch. Simple.

Creek Dancer
08-29-2006, 15:28
I should have posted this under cheap hiker trash.....is there anyone else out there or am I the only one who leaves the car in one spot, hikes in for two, three, four days and then turns around and hikes back to my own car? My AT miles would be doubled if I shuttled, but, it's just not worth the effort or the money. I don't mind seeing the same scenery twice and it may even be better weather the second time. HYOH

Hiking the same trail more than once is like listening to a favorite song over and over. :banana

Gray Blazer
08-29-2006, 18:46
Hiking the same trail more than once is like listening to a favorite song over and over. :banana

That's good, right?

Programbo
08-29-2006, 20:38
If it was 2 people coming from 2 areas you could take 2 cars and park one at the end of the hike and then both get in the other car and drive to the start..Then when you get to the end just take the second car back to the start ....How much do you figure this shuttle will cost you if you take the one you`ve found?...I still have 2 weeks vacation to burn up before the end of the year and even if I break even after buying gas and food it might be worth it to get a free trip down to SNP