PDA

View Full Version : Another spring snow storm

thestin
04-10-2003, 08:47
Snow is now falling across the high country of North Carolina.
Could be snow across much of the trail today from Georgia through NC and Tennessee. Some heavy wet snow is possible at elevations above 4ooo feet.

Bonepile
04-10-2003, 11:38
What a diiference from 2 years ago this day. I was starting my thru-hike on this day 2 years ago. I was on the approach trail to Springerand the Temperature was at a record 85 degrees. I had to buy sunscreen the day before I left and I needed it that day. I wish I was there right now.

thestin
04-10-2003, 12:55
As of noon, heavy snow is falling across much of western North Carolina. Reports of 6 to 7 inches of snow already above 400 feet. Thunder and lightning also being reported. Some of the higher elevations may end up with one to two feet of snow.
Looks like the Smokies are also getting plastered with heavy wet snow.

thestin
04-10-2003, 12:55
that should be 4000 feet, not 400 feet!

thestin
04-10-2003, 16:08
A foot of snow is on the ground on the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville at an elevation of 5000 feet. More snow on the way for tonight!

steve hiker
04-10-2003, 16:29
I'm jealous.

CeeJay
04-11-2003, 11:30
Beesknees and Relentless here. We are stuck in Gatlinburg waiting out the rain and snow. I guess they closed the road to Newfound Gap, so we decided to stay another day. Things should be better by tomorrow. The rivers are really high and moving fast. I'm glad we got into Gatlinburg when we did 4/8, but I am anxious to get going again. It has rained every day but one since we left Fontana Dam April 4th.

MedicineMan
04-11-2003, 23:23
8 inches yesterday at my house near Little Rock Knob and the Roan...wonder how much is on top of Roan?

Youngblood
04-11-2003, 23:29
Originally posted by CeeJay
Beesknees and Relentless here. We are stuck in Gatlinburg waiting out the rain and snow. I guess they closed the road to Newfound Gap, so we decided to stay another day. Things should be better by tomorrow. The rivers are really high and moving fast. I'm glad we got into Gatlinburg when we did 4/8, but I am anxious to get going again. It has rained every day but one since we left Fontana Dam April 4th.

I think you're going to be in for a treat. In 2000 I also waited out a snow storm in Gatlinburg. When the storm cleared and the road reopened I returned to the trail and had 100+ mile visibility. These storms clear out the haze that limit the visibilty to less than 20 miles. The views from the Smokys will amaze you.