PDA

View Full Version : Hiking and Biking in Wyoming

chomp
08-29-2006, 11:55
VSA and I spent a week out in Wyoming. We spent our first 4 days backpacking around the Tetons, which was just amazing. We were stalked by a brown bear, saw tons of wildlife (moose, marmots, pikas, etc...), blown away by the wildflowers and even saw a few nice mountain views.

The next three days, we camped just outside of Jackson and spent our days mtn biking. There are some fantastic mtn bike trails in Jackson, all with awesome views. Our last day, we had a midnight flight, so we took a quick 9 mile jaunt in the Wind River Range to Photographer Point before heading to the airport.

Here are the photos:

http://gallery.backcountry.net/chomp-wyoming06

Chomp

sourwood
08-29-2006, 12:39
Chomp,

You should consider riding the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route sometime. 2500 miles through the Rockies from the Canadian to Mexican border. It crosses the CDT trail many times. I considered riding this route to be a cross between bike touring and backpacking. The scenery was magnificent! You can get more info at this web site:

www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm?pg=more

Julie

kyhipo
08-29-2006, 12:57
very lovely photos!I like that area of wy alot very scenic,I lived their as a kid and always remember the grizzlys along the snake river,thanks for the photos.ky

gr8fulyankee
08-29-2006, 13:36
Hey I am going to be in Cheyenne for Dead Bird Day. Can you suggest any good 1-2 day hikes in that general area?
Oh I wont have a car so I have to rely on my brothers good(ha) nature to drive me to a trail head and pick me back up, so distance from Cheyenne is an issue.

Footslogger
08-29-2006, 13:38
Sure can ...just west of Laramie is the Snow Range in the Medicine Bow. Dozens of trails ranging from half day loops to 2 nighters. We live in Laramie and that is our playground, when we're not back east on the AT.

Let me know if you want specifics ...

'Slogger

jgreene
08-29-2006, 14:03
Great shots, I did a similar trip only spent more time in Wind River than Tetons, but did make it up to Solitude Lake. Didn't see andy bears, but did disturb a momma moose and baby though.

gr8fulyankee
08-29-2006, 16:48
Sure can ...just west of Laramie is the Snow Range in the Medicine Bow. Dozens of trails ranging from half day loops to 2 nighters. We live in Laramie and that is our playground, when we're not back east on the AT.

Let me know if you want specifics ...

'Slogger
hey yeah that would be cool. I actually just looked at my flight info of when I arrive and leave and I only have one full day that I can hike. So anything that is along those lines for trails, I would be really grateful for!

Footslogger
08-29-2006, 17:01
hey yeah that would be cool. I actually just looked at my flight info of when I arrive and leave and I only have one full day that I can hike. So anything that is along those lines for trails, I would be really grateful for!
============================

Well ...given the amount of time you have and considering that you'll be out in Cheyenne, I would suggest spending the day hiking near Vedavoo Rocks. It's right off of I-80 about 35 minutes west of Cheyenne. There is a trail surrounding the rocks and you can get in a little "bouldering" too. If you want to be a little more adventurous the my next suggestion would be to drive on into Laramie and get off the interstate on Route 130. Take Route 130 west toward Centenial and head on up into the Snowy's. Park at the Lake Marie parking lot and do the Medicine Bow Peak Loop. It will take you about 5 hours and you'll hit 12,100 feet elevation at the summit. The views up there are breathtaking.

'Slogger

gr8fulyankee
08-30-2006, 09:42
The views up there are breathtaking.

Thanks Footslogger,
Given that I am a smoker they probably will be breathtaking in more way that one! :D Sounds like a nice hike!