PDA

View Full Version : Rope storage

vaporjourney
08-29-2006, 13:44
How do you guys store your 50' (is this too much?) of rope for bear bagging? I had been leaving it in about a footlong loop, and wrapping the end of the rope around itself and keeping it in my side pocket. Well it turned into a complete mess last trip and I realized I need a new system. I'm thinking rubber band around the heap of rope, and then stashed in a tiny silnylon stuff sack? I'm sure someone can recommend something better. I especially think a specialized stuff sack just for the rope would be essential when I get a new pack (ULA catalyst) without side pockets to organize in.

jlb2012
08-29-2006, 13:46
I butterfly the rope - makes it much less likely to get tangled

Just Jeff
08-29-2006, 14:12
Daisy chain it.

Footslogger
08-29-2006, 14:21
I carry a 50' length of Dyneema line and carry it in a small narrow silnylon pouch that I also use as my "toss bag" for getting the line over tree branches.

'Slogger

BigToe
08-29-2006, 14:33
I carry my 50' of TripTease line (1.44 oz) wound up on a cut-out hourglass shaped piece of Walmart sleeping pad foam (.04 oz) along with a 4mm carabiner (.10 oz) in the small cotton pouch (.13 oz).

I got tired of searching for the right size stick or rock to tie to and now just plop a small rock in the cotton bag, clip the carabiner to it, and chuck it over a branch. The carabiner adds flexibility in setup so I can go with the conventional method, PCT, 2 tree, etc.

FurTrappers
08-29-2006, 15:19
Here's what I use....

I made a small silnylon bag with a loop sewed into the inside bottom. I turned the bag inside out and tied one end of about 60' of "Lime Line" to this loop. I then turned the bag back around and started coiling the remaining line into the bag through the open top. When I got to the other end of the cord I tied a small lightweight caribiner to it and tucked this into the bag, then closed it with a string and toggle. When I'm ready to use it, I open the bag, pull out the biner and cord, turn the bag inside out and put a small stone into it, closing the top again with the toggle. Its easy to throw the bag, with cord attached to the bottom, over a branch. Then just grab the bag and pull it until the biner is hanging in front of you. Clip your foodbag to the biner and pull it up into the air, tying it off when its high enough. In the morning, or if your like me, about an hour later after I've forgotten something, just reverse the whole thing. The cord never seems to get tangled in the bag during storage, at least for me!

Hope this helps!
Fur....

veteran
08-29-2006, 15:43
I butterfly the rope - makes it much less likely to get tangled

I do it that way also.

The butterfly Coil:

Spock
08-29-2006, 15:45
butterfly or converse wrapped around forearm, secured with a twist, stuffed into cordura sack that also acts as throw-bag.

jlb2012
08-29-2006, 16:05
for a throw weight I use a water bottle (aka 1 liter soda bottle) with 2-3 inches of water left in it - tie the rope onto the neck of the bottle with a constrictor knot and toss with a bit of a wrist snap - a good accurate throw

LostInSpace
08-29-2006, 17:11
I carry a 50' length of Dyneema line and carry it in a small narrow silnylon pouch that I also use as my "toss bag" for getting the line over tree branches.'Slogger

i do exactly what 'Slogger does.

Tinkergnome
08-29-2006, 18:51
Fold it in forths, tie a slipknot in the looped end and crochet it all the way down. takes a few min to do this but it keeps it untangled and is easy to get to.

mweinstone
08-29-2006, 19:08
worst thread responses since ,...............since really bad responses to some other good question.to the guys who use your water botle i say ,.. good thirst to you sirs. to the dudes with butterflys and twist ties and little bags and to the worryers of knots and the lookers for rocks.........stop! just stop it all of you. whew! gimmy a minute,.........................okay.............. ........three words........ball of string.ball of string, its a ball of string for minnisota smiths sake! for minnisota crying out loud would you stop trying to build a better mouse trap and hike.? just do your inventing in bed with a woman if you ever get one.stop . ball of string. got it. ? find a rock. okay? are we clear? now get out of here and go hang that food! and find a date!

Skidsteer
08-29-2006, 19:16
I just throw my date over the tree branch. Sure she gets tangled up from time to time but gravity is inevitable.

Just Jeff
08-29-2006, 19:20
The artistry is in tying the knots on her, Skids...

fiddlehead
08-29-2006, 21:56
worst thread responses since ,...............since really bad responses to some other good question.to the guys who use your water botle i say ,.. good thirst to you sirs. to the dudes with butterflys and twist ties and little bags and to the worryers of knots and the lookers for rocks.........stop! just stop it all of you. whew! gimmy a minute,.........................okay.............. ........three words........ball of string.ball of string, its a ball of string for minnisota smiths sake! for minnisota crying out loud would you stop trying to build a better mouse trap and hike.? just do your inventing in bed with a woman if you ever get one.stop . ball of string. got it. ? find a rock. okay? are we clear? now get out of here and go hang that food! and find a date!

for once, i agree with Mweinstone! (almost!)
but, i wouldn't use the string to hang up my food, just sleep with your food, the string is for hanging out wet gear to dry. (tyvek, raingear, shorts, pack cover,........)

FurTrappers
08-29-2006, 23:43
[QUOTE=mweinstone]
just do your inventing in bed with a woman if you ever get one.[QUOTE]

I had a woman, but now she's another guys problem! I'll just stick to bare banging, errr, bear bagging!!!

Fur....

The Solemates
08-30-2006, 08:54
My opinion is that you do not need to carry any rope, at least not on the AT.