PDA

View Full Version : Cottage industries...

GNR
08-29-2006, 15:00
How many of us either use or have seen folks on the trail using cottage industry gear? What gear have you seen? By that I mean, gear that is not mass produced, nor home-made themselves. I guess I mean packs from Ron Bell at Mountain Laurel Designs, or tents from Moonbow. Maybe some Gossamer Gear stuff like carbon poles or some of their packs. You know, cottage industry stuff(I know this is as clear as mud, now). Thanks.

SGT Rock
08-29-2006, 15:17
I have a Moonbow pack, a MatCat Tarp, a couple of JRB quilts, and an Ion Stove.

mn-backpacker
08-29-2006, 15:46
The only two that come to mind are my TarpTent and AGG Cook pot. Other than that it's all bigger names or homemade.

Smile
08-29-2006, 15:57
I think Gossamer Gear has awesome stuff, and great customer service too!

DawnTreader
08-29-2006, 16:03
I use a ula pack, bunches of stuff from the jacks (Just Jeff's gear hammock and pack cover rule).. bunches of dancing light gear, antigravity gear cookset, rocks ion stove and some gossamer gear.

Note on Gossamer gear: The carbon lighttrek poles really screwed me.. one broke the 2nd day of the trip, and the other's tip broke off and the foam handle ripped. just not a practical piece of gear.
I'm all about the cottage industry

DawnTreader
08-29-2006, 16:03
forgot about my McCat Standard tarp!

Tabasco
08-29-2006, 16:08
Just got my ULA pack a couple weeks ago. Taking it out for a spin this weekend. In 3 years of section hikes, I have always seen at least one ULA pack out on the trail. Trying to find the money to blow on a Hennessy hammock Ultralite Explorer.

Smile
08-29-2006, 16:18
Note on Gossamer gear: The carbon lighttrek poles really screwed me.. one broke the 2nd day of the trip, and the other's tip broke off and the foam handle ripped. just not a practical piece of gear. Wow, that's not cool...thanks for the heads up!

Skidsteer
08-29-2006, 16:26
H2O Amigo from ULA, Speer Hammock, Frog Sac(Mountain Crossings/Speer joint effort), Anti-Gravity Gear 3-cup pot.

There's lots of stuff I'd give a try if money were no object.

Just Jeff
08-29-2006, 17:06
JRB quilts, tarp, Weather Shield, tarp tensioners, Python Skins, gear hammock pack cover; MacCat tarp; Speer PeaPod; Patrick's KAQ, CT's Packa. I guess Big Agnes, Crazy Creek and Hennessy Hammock don't count?

I haven't noticed any cottage gear on others, but I usually hike alone or in small groups and try to stay away from places with lots of folks. When I hike with a group they usually like to check out my gear b/c they haven't seen cottage gear before. "You mean you hike with stuff that's not from REI?"

Lots of other gear I'd like to try out...cottage gear is like an addiction! That and WB...

Two Speed
08-29-2006, 18:32
Regularly use

Six Moon Designs Lunar
Etowah Outfitters pack covers & stuff sacks*
Anti-Gravity Gear cookset

Transitioning to a SMD Essence and am considering a Brasslite or a Sgt Rock Ion to replace my Trangia if I can't get a beer can stove to work the way I want. Could be snobbery on my part, but my general take is the cottage industry stuff works better and is usually lighter than the comparable gear made by the big guys. Just seems better designed and better craftmanship.

REI seems to be suffering from the "me too" syndrome with their "fast and light" gear, and some of it ain't all that light IMHO.

*Yeah, I know, I need to learn how to sew my own stuff sacks.

Cedar Tree
08-29-2006, 18:53
I have a Moonbow pack, a MatCat Tarp, a couple of JRB quilts, and an Ion Stove.

Is that all you use Rock? I'm hurt :o

Thanks Just Jeff for the mention. Hope yours is working out ok. Good Luck in School. I'm educated way beyond my intelligence, so I know about school.

As for cottage industry folk, I've said it before but it is worth repeating. The help and friendship I've experienced from my fellow cottage industry peers has been overwhelming. It is such a great group of people. I won't name names here, because I would surely leave someone out. Here is a link to most.

http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page630.html

Cedar Tree

map man
08-29-2006, 19:02
I use a Henry Shires Tarptent and a LuxuryLite Modular Frame Pack. I've had great luck with both.

totally Boagus
08-29-2006, 19:28
Dancing Light Gear made some great gear until they closed up shop last month.
I have two of their tarps and a few water bags .... great gear and service
R.I.P.

bigcranky
08-29-2006, 19:40
We have a Tarptent, a Six Moons Designs Starlite pack, Dancing Light stuff sacks and pack covers, a couple of Equinox tarps in different sizes, a Brasslite stove, and a bunch of lightweight guylines and tighteners from Backpackinglight and Gossamer Gear.

On the trail, I've seen a lot of Tarptents, but not much else in terms of cottage gear.

Lilred
08-30-2006, 17:27
I have a ULA pack and a Squall from Tarptent.

highway
08-30-2006, 18:15
Lets see...
Moonbow gearskin
Hennessey hammock
Luxury Lite hiking staff
McHale ultra light pack
Railrider clothing
Speer SPE so I can sleep in my hammock in colder weather
36"x36" heavyweight silk bandana I dyed myself to a pleasing olive color:D

It seems most of what I use comes from cottage industry folks, but that is where the newest, most imaginative innovations seem to be. Now if I could just perfect a good windscreen for an alcohol stove. Anyopnew have a good idea?

ppereira007
08-30-2006, 18:16
2 hs tarptents
1 MacCat
1 kickass quilt
1 luxurylite pack
1 luxurylite cot
1 brasslite stove
2 minibull stoves
1 ula p2
1 ursack
think that's it:-?
and yes i love cottage industry gear.

the goat
08-30-2006, 19:01
Dancing Light Gear made some great gear until they closed up shop last month.
I have two of their tarps and a few water bags .... great gear and service
R.I.P.

true true, great gear & service. i've got some various mosquito-twarting gear from them.

Boagus, say hello to "The 'Burg" for me!!

Old Hillwalker
08-30-2006, 19:45
Any of Jack Stephenson's stuff qualifies.

SGT Rock
08-30-2006, 23:35
Is that all you use Rock? I'm hurt :o

Thanks Just Jeff for the mention. Hope yours is working out ok. Good Luck in School. I'm educated way beyond my intelligence, so I know about school.

As for cottage industry folk, I've said it before but it is worth repeating. The help and friendship I've experienced from my fellow cottage industry peers has been overwhelming. It is such a great group of people. I won't name names here, because I would surely leave someone out. Here is a link to most.

http://www.thepacka.com/index_files/Page630.html

Cedar Tree

Damn you are right Cedar Tree. The Packa is one of my favorite pieces. I'm sorry I forgot that was even cottage industry gear it is so well made.

DAmn straight - the Packa too.

DawnTreader
08-31-2006, 03:05
Cedar Tree,
The packa would be mine.. however I like my JJgear hammock too much to ditch the pack cover....now, if you could make me a packa that could double as a gear hammock, I'd bite !!!!!

Just Jeff
08-31-2006, 10:42
Just sew a few grosgrain loops on the outside of the Packa on the corner of the pack cover part.

I wouldn't want to rely on my raingear as a gear hammock, though...what if you have to pee in the middle of the night while it's raining? Guess it's not a problem if you're in camp alone, though.

Pacific Tortuga
09-01-2006, 15:38
I'm not really a fan of the so called "cottage gear". I like to be able to try on a pack or see something in person before I buy. With "cottage gear", if something doesn't work out, that means that I get burned on shipping both ways; assuming that the "cottage gear" maker accepts returns. Some [most?] don't.

Anything that I can buy in person at rei/ems or the like is not "cottage gear".

I feel you have to trust some "Made in the USA" products and with camping gear its not such a crap shoot. With so many on line giving their testimonial's about quality,service and warrenties few get burned anymore. Give them a try it feels great wearing or using something that is not an import.

bigcranky
09-01-2006, 15:50
While I agree with the P. Torgtuga, let me add that the main reason I look to the cottage gear manufacturers is for the products that they offer. Many (most) of them are long-distance hikers, and they design and build gear that is specifically made for lightweight LD hiking. I shop at REI, too, and there's nothing there that compares with a Henry Shires Tarptent, or a Six Moons Designs Starlite or Essence pack. The major manufacturers have to overbuild their products so they won't be destroyed in use by people who don't have the skills and experience to use ultralight ("delicate") gear properly. (Why do you think they keep pushing 'bombproof' gear on you at the outfitter stores? Are you going backpacking, or to a war zone? Sgt Rock, you can't answer this question.;) )

Sure, I may need to return an item that doesn't fit properly, but every single cottage gear manufacturer that I've dealt with cheerfully takes returns, and cheerfully repairs their products if I have any problems. And the shipping thing applies to the big-box retailers, too -- I don't live near an REI, so if I don't like a product, I have to pay shipping both ways.

SGT Rock
09-01-2006, 17:10
You can go to events like Trail Days, a lot of the cottage gear people set up there and give you plenty a chance to see, feel, touch, and sometimes even use their gear before you buy it.

Add to that, some of the cottage guys work hard to get carried by outfitters. Ettowah Outfitters owner does a lot of leg work up and down the trail to get his products in the smaller stores along the trail.

Alligator
09-01-2006, 17:46
Some of these folks set up at the Gatherings also.

Just Jeff
09-01-2006, 20:26
Aside from custom gear, what cottage gear maker doesn't accept returns?

SGT Rock
09-02-2006, 03:05
Another thing, some of us cottage guys even put the plans for our stuff on the net, so you can buid your own for free without even paying us. So you get a chance to test drive and keep it for free. :D

Just give me some credit if you build my stove and like it ;)

Just Jeff
09-02-2006, 04:54
Rock, I bet every person who makes your stove (or most other cottage gear products) and posts how good it is in the forums motivates two more folks to buy the real thing. Not only is it good for people who like to build their own, it spreads the word to people without the time or desire who just want to buy it. Everybody wins.

I also like the threads on why people buy cottage gear instead of gear from the big companies. I do it b/c that's where the innovative products come from. I like going to REI but I rarely see anything worth buying unless it's 50% off at the members' sales. And not only is cottage gear often better, but I also like to reward people with the initiative to make and market something on their own like that. It feels good to give my money to another hiker instead of a corporate wonk. :p

stumpknocker
09-02-2006, 06:51
It feels good to give my money to another hiker instead of a corporate wonk. :p

I do buy directly from another hiker that's made something if I like what I see, but I also try to buy from the outfitters that are near the Trail before I buy from the larger companies.

They help hikers all the time.

I make buying from the "large corporations" my last choice......although I do buy REI brand shirts for winter because I like those shirts best.

I guess Gossamer Gear was the last "cottage industry" that I bought some stuff from. :)

Cedar Tree
09-02-2006, 11:19
Aside from custom gear, what cottage gear maker doesn't accept returns?

I will accept custom returns. I've never had to, but I always tell the people that want customs they can return it if they are unsatistified. I think customization is a huge reason to buy from cottage industries. I've been selling lots of customs lately too, I guess the eVent Packas have been hot. Still have 1 eVent packa left by the way. Customer service is very important to me, so I make exchanges or repairs to Packa owners no matter how long you've owned it or how heavily used it is. I've also repaired many packas that were damaged due to heavy use or misuse, like big holes ripped in the packcover. With Cedar Tree Industry, you always get personalized service, because there is only one person employed here.

Cedar Tree
Owner and only employee
www.thepacka.com

peanuts
09-02-2006, 11:25
Cedar Tree,

When its raining, how do you remove the backpack w/o getting wet yourself?

Cedar Tree
09-02-2006, 12:03
Cedar Tree,
When its raining, how do you remove the backpack w/o getting wet yourself?

Well, ya don't. I've never been in a situation where it was raining really hard and I needed to remove my pack. I have been in situations where it was raining lightly, and I just try to hurry and remove the Packa and pack, put the packa on me, and cover the pack with my groundcloth. But there is some exposure time for both you and your pack. I believe Sgt. Rock has stated he can remove his pack with out removing his packa. I think he slips it out the bottom somehow. I haven't done it. Can any of you Packa owners answer Peanut's question? Thanks

CT

SGT Rock
09-02-2006, 14:24
Pull your arms in the sleeves and then your arms are inside the body with you, then undo your pack from your hip-belt and shoulders. Let it slip out the bottom. You may have to unzip the top some to do this, but then just do it leaning forward.

My packing system has redundant levels of water resistance, so if it lays on the ground a few seconds with out the pack cover on it while I get my tarp up, it won't get my bag or clothing wet.

peanuts
09-02-2006, 15:31
Thank you CT and SGT.
So SGT you do the womans removing bra while still clothed thing....cool..did not think of that!:rolleyes:
My items in the pack are very well protected from getting wet..:D

Once again, thank you!!!

SGT Rock
09-02-2006, 15:58
Thank you CT and SGT.
So SGT you do the womans removing bra while still clothed thing....cool..did not think of that!
My items in the pack are very well protected from getting wet..

Once again, thank you!!!

Well I guess. I have never worn a bra LOL ;)

I probably got the idea from watching though :D

Just wait until my wife reads this :eek:

Old Hillwalker
09-02-2006, 18:42
Peter Limmer and Sons custom boots must qualify a Cottage Industry since there are only three guys working in an old green barn. "Limmer Boots since 1919" They are likely to be America's oldest custom bootmaker.