PDA

View Full Version : Mohawk Trail in Conn.

hawkeye
04-10-2003, 11:39
Has anyone done the Mohawk Trail loop? I was looking at the Ma./Conn. guide and read about the trail.

MadRiver
04-14-2003, 08:18
Although I haven't finalized my plans as of yet, I'm doing an overnight trip this coming weekend ((4/18-4/19) and I might do the Mohawk trail. If anyone else has some information they would be willing to share, I too would be interested.

ganj
04-14-2003, 21:03
While passing through CT, my buddy and I hiked up the road to a coffee shop. Afterwards instead of hiking back via the road, we took a .1 mile blue blaze along the Mohawk Trail back to the AT. FYI, the coffee was the best I think I have ever had.

hawkeye
04-15-2003, 09:39
I'm leaving from kent,Ct on Tue 22nd north to Saturday morning,back tracking to Falls valley. I'm staying on the AT instead of doing the Mohawk. My last day of work is this Friday after 25 years of Military sevice! Now only 5 more years to I do the whole AT!

Deb
05-11-2005, 16:47
The Mohawk Trail is a 24 mile section of the old AT. I hiked it this week from south (Cornwall Bridge) to north (Falls Village). Information was hard to come by, as the current Connecticut Walk Book is sold out, but I did set out with some general information from an old Walk Book (1970) and a topo map.

The blazing was excellent; I had no trouble following the trail. It was so cool to walk through places like Dark Entry Ravine (waterfalls, an old sluiceway), Cathedral Pines, and over Mohawk Mt, Sedgwick Ledges and Yelping Hill. There are old AT remnants along the trail: survey markers and laid-up springs.

There are several lean-tos: two on Mohawk Mt. (dirt floors), a falling-down one on Red Mt. and a newer one (1988) at Pine Knoll.
Dean's Ravine is beautiful, lots of water cascading through the gorge. The lean-to there is gone, but the camping site was perfect: towering pines and rushing water.

I didn't met any one on the trail the whole time. But I couldn't help but think of those legendary walkers like Earl Shaffer and Dorothy Laker, who once came this way.

SavageLlama
05-11-2005, 21:23
The Mohawk Trail is really nice. The Cathedral Pines section is amazing and you can still the see drastic remnants of the hurricane that blew through years ago. The forest floor all around is littered with fallen trees.

Some other info on the relocation of this CT section of the AT and subsequent establishment of the Mohawk Trail is in this thread.. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5378&highlight=mohawk+trail

zephyr1034
05-12-2005, 01:33
The blazing was excellent; I had no trouble following the trail. It was so cool to walk through places like Dark Entry Ravine (waterfalls, an old sluiceway), Cathedral Pines, and over Mohawk Mt, Sedgwick Ledges and Yelping Hill. There are old AT remnants along the trail: survey markers and laid-up springs.
================================================== ===========

Can someone clarify the status of Dudleytown once and for all?

This post says you can go into it on the Mohawk Trail, a blue blazed section of the old AT. The Dark Entry Ravine that you mention is part of Dudleytown.

Other sources on the internet state clearly that Dudleytown has been made off-limits by its owners for some time.

Which is it?

Deb
05-12-2005, 08:09
The AT once entered the east side of Rt. 7 further south than the Mohawk Trail does now. It was relocated at the land owner's request because of the Dudleytown thing.
The trail head parking for the MT has signs stating the trail is temporarily closed Oct 22-Nov.1 (Halloween week). The trail runs through private property all the way to Coltsfoot Mt. To leave the trail to "explore" would be trespassing, and not a cool thing to do.

dfiske
05-12-2005, 10:20
My understanding is that the trail goes through a small
part of the town limits of what was Dudleytown, but
not what was the center of the town. So technically
if you hike the trail, you set foot in Dudleytown, but
you won't see anything of it. Not that much to see,
I guess, except old foundations, but those aren't hard
to come by in the woods of New England, so there's
nothing especially unique about Dudleytown.

People have gotten trespassing tickets for straying
from the trail. Local landowners reportedly watch
for trespassers like hawks.

SavageLlama
05-12-2005, 20:37
Can someone clarify the status of Dudleytown once and for all?The AT and the Mohawk Trail no longer go near Dudleytown. So it would be a side trip for anyone looking for it, but I wouldn't recommend it. The owners have fenced it off and posted dozens of No Trespassing signs. The town even took down the road sign, making it hard to find. I've heard it was because satanic cults were going there for rituals. (there are all kinds of rumors about stuff like this but who knows what's true anymore)

I tried to hike by Dudleytown about six years ago and the owner came out with a shotgun.. and wasn't very friendly.

In any case, Dudleytown is basically just some only some old foundations that are barely noticeable. Not really worth the extra effort of tracking down.

2XL
05-16-2005, 08:08
Is the Connecticut Walk book the best source of info for tjhe Mohawk Trail?
It is really hard to find info for this trail, even on the net.

Deb
05-16-2005, 08:36
2XL,
I sent you a personal message with info. Hope it helps.