PDA

View Full Version : Day Hikes in the Smokies

RLC_FLA
08-29-2006, 19:47
Were going to to be staying Gatlinburg the 1st week in October. Can anyone recommend some good day hikes. We'll have an inexperienced hiker with us so nothing too strenuous 8-10 mi max loop.

Thanks,

RLC_FLA

GA>ME 89

springerfever
08-29-2006, 19:54
definately check out the Cades Cove area....magnificent, particularly with the fall colors........

A hike from Newfound gap up to Charlie's Bunion would be a great trip although maybe a little long .

Honestly, there are so many great trails in the Smokies, you really can't go wrong. On a clear day the little hike up to Clingmans dome would be a good choice or out to Andrews Bald from the CD parking lot.

Gray Blazer
08-29-2006, 20:08
Alum Caves Bluff is a nice one and close to Gatlinburg. In Cade's Cove, hike to the Abrams Falls. Very Pretty.

sliderule
08-29-2006, 20:24
Albright Grove is an easy drive from Gatlinburg and an easy hike, if you are interested in big trees. If you can shuttle a car or don't object to an easy hitch, Newfound Gap to Charlies Bunion the down Dry Sluice Gap/Grassy Branch/Kephart Prong is a good hike, essentially all downhill after the first 2.5 miles or so. Charlies Bunion is arguably the most spectacular site in the park. Cosby Campground to the Mt. Cammerer fire tower is another good choice. There are some good views on the AT west of Clingmans Dome a mile or so; combine that with Andrews Bald for a decent trip.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-29-2006, 20:36
Abrams Falls is a moderately strenuous 5 mile hike (round trip). There are a number of trails off the Roaring Fork Motor Trail which is near Gatlinburg - Rainbow Falls trail to the falls comes immediately to mind at about 6 miles (round trip). Trillium Gap Trail is nearby and goes to Grotto Falls (about 3 miles round trip). From Elkmont, take the Little River trail to Cucumber Gap Trail to make a 5 mile loop that is not too strenuous.

Here is a link to a PDF map of the Smokies with trail miles included. (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/trails2005.pdf)

humunuku
08-29-2006, 20:39
rainbow falls is a good hike (and the water fall has had a big flow lately), but its all uphill 'til the falls. Charlies bunion is good, and pretty flat (for the smokies). Cades cove could be annoying due to traffic, the "loop" is a way too popular auto-tour route.
The smokies are good, I'm glad their in my backyard

vaporjourney
08-30-2006, 10:41
I live in Asheville, and have just started going to the smokies for 3 day trips lately. so far i've been to Cataloochie, Cosby, and Big Creek. Cosby is by far my favorite hike of the 3. None of these has had any good views at all. I'm skeptical of going to Cades Cove because i know that is the most highly traffic'ed area of the park. Also I was thinking of making a Smokemont loop up to Charles Bunion (this view seems like a must), but making loops can be a pain in this park, and I don't wanna hitch. Still, everyone should try to go to this park. Oh so many trails.

sliderule
08-30-2006, 11:00
I live in Asheville.

Mt. Sterling is close and has a great view for the fire tower on a clear day. You can avoid much of the climb by taking the Mt. Sterling Trail from the gravel road that runs from Big Creek to Cataloochee.

The Solemates
08-30-2006, 12:11
As is Mt Cammerer, the best lookout in the Smokies.

MOWGLI
08-30-2006, 12:20
Were going to to be staying Gatlinburg the 1st week in October. Can anyone recommend some good day hikes. We'll have an inexperienced hiker with us so nothing too strenuous 8-10 mi max loop.

Thanks,

RLC_FLA

GA>ME 89

There are about 900 miles of trails in the park. I suggest you pick up a guide to the park and enjoy. So many trails - so little time. FWIW, the Albright Grove Loop would be at the top of my list.

Doctari
08-30-2006, 14:59
A good about 5 mile trip (I'm not sure of the miles) is: park at the Elkmont campground trailhead(s), Take Jakes Creek, to Cucumber trail (go L), to little river trail (go L). Some good views along the Cucumber trail & good fisihing in the little river trail. I believe that when you get to the little river trail, you only have about 1 mile to go back to your car, so if you havn't hiked enough, go Right & add what miles you want.

For a beginner overnight if you want, just take the Little river trail to the campsite about 4 or 5 miles up stream. I don't remember the number of the campsite, but it is a "reservations required" one. The little river trail is mostly flat with a slight incline, probably in the about 4 miles you will climb 200 ft, if that much.

Campsite: flat, large (about 10 tent size) plenty of water avalable, right on the Little River, so great water noise for sleeping. Easy access means it may be crowded on weekends. FYI: I seem to remember about 3 hammock sites there, not sure as I wasn't a hanger then.

Doctari.

rockrat
08-30-2006, 17:54
The chimneys. Its about two or three miles up to probably the best view in the park. You can always go hardcore and go up the trail on you right just past the bridges. Its not maintained anymore because the park service got sick of rescueing people. Its a mile maybe mile and a half and straight up with laurel bushwacking. Its probably my favorite hike in the park next to the Boulevard up Leconte.