PDA

View Full Version : Getting BO smell out of a Back Pack..Help!!!

nutlub
08-30-2006, 09:57
What’s up ya'll,

I recently purchased a back pack online from REI. The pack is great and appears new but there is this awful BO smell coming from the straps.

My theory is that the smelliest, funkiest hiker must have tried it on in the store.

Anyway, do any of you guys/gals have advice for me on getting the stick out of the pack straps? I tried washing it in the sick with dishwashing liquid and that did not work at all

....Help!!!

the goat
08-30-2006, 10:01
take it on a long trip and cover it with your own funk.

Footslogger
08-30-2006, 10:15
When our packs get a tad randy we fill the bathtub and soak them over night in a mild Lysol solution. First step though is to just drown them in the plain water and repeatedly squeeze the shoulder straps to get out the dried salt ...dump the tub, refill and then add the Lysol.

'Slogger

Toolshed
08-30-2006, 10:26
Return it.

orangebug
08-30-2006, 10:30
Spray it with RESOLVE.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2006, 10:31
Try FABREEZE.

Smile
08-30-2006, 10:36
Eeww. Return it. ;-)

jazilla
08-30-2006, 10:52
Try going to a car wash and spraying it down. That water pressure will get the funk out of any small place.

jlb2012
08-30-2006, 10:53
take it to the car wash and pressure wash it (no wax)

HIKER7s
08-30-2006, 10:55
What’s up ya'll,

I recently purchased a back pack online from REI. The pack is great and appears new but there is this awful BO smell coming from the straps.

My theory is that the smelliest, funkiest hiker must have tried it on in the store.

Anyway, do any of you guys/gals have advice for me on getting the stick out of the pack straps? I tried washing it in the sick with dishwashing liquid and that did not work at all

....Help!!!

Well first off, if its not your OWN hikercheese, return it. IF IT IS, heres what I do.

I am gonna probably get flamed for hurting the pack for this but every summer (it gets alot o use all year) I take the empty backpack and put in in my pool right after I add the chlorine thru my filter (I use liquid chlorine). I usually do this right before I am doing a task in the yard, ex: cutting the grass.

After I am done cleaning up from the task (no more than two hours) I get the backpack out of the pool, rinse it off well and hang her up for a day or three outdoors.

Nice smell and I havent experienced any breakdown of materials in the 5 years Ive had this backpack:banana

HIKER7s
08-30-2006, 10:57
OH before I do this I also remove the metal internal framing, it probably dont matter though being SS

RITBlake
08-30-2006, 12:20
I would definitely return it. REI has a pretty liberal return policy especially if you are a member.

One time I bought an electric shaver at Target. I got it home, opened it up and found someone else's hair clippings already in the hair catcher. It was pretty disgusting.

I brought it back to target and not only did I get my money back but they gave me a 25 dollar Target gift card.

Creek Dancer
08-30-2006, 12:25
I guess I would return it to REI. No spray will get the smell out forever. The pool idea is pretty cool. Good luck.

TOW
08-30-2006, 12:26
Submerge pack in bath tub with water covering the whole thing, then dump a small bottle of dawn in the water and agitate the backpack for 10-15 minutes, let soak for 8 hours, drain water and submerge again and drain to get remaining soap out, should be good for another 2,000 miles........

Ender
08-30-2006, 14:20
Try using a product called OdoBan ( http://www.odoban.com/OdoBanRetail/Products.html ). It's made to get pet (and other) odors out of, well, anything. It works really well. I've used it before to get cat urine smell out of clothing, with perfect results. And cat urine is the worst.

Or, you could just return it and get a brand new backpack.

StarLyte
08-30-2006, 14:24
Hey.....don't be tacky and return a piece of clothing to a merchant that has your odor in it.......just find something to get rid of smell.

Dawn liquid isn't a bad idea. ;)

However, by all means if it's someone elses SCHTINK.....take it back ASAP !!! I wish you luck, cause if I were the clerk...I'd say......get real.

...just being honest....sorry

Skyline
08-30-2006, 15:09
How great could REI be if one of their people didn't notice the hikerfunk and put it back "in stock," and another of their people actually sold it to you? Were they both wearing clothespins on their snouts?

I know they call their customers "members" and they give small "dividend" checks based on purchases, but I have had plenty of trouble over the years dealing with REI the company and some of their less-than-knowledgeable staff. Except for REI's great waterproof/windproof matches, and their Easton tent stakes with pull-loops, I won't buy anything else from them.

(Ducking . . . )

Lilred
08-30-2006, 17:18
What’s up ya'll,

....Help!!!

I think some of these online stores are using this venue to ditch stuff they can't otherwise sell in stores. My husband has gotten two items from Sam Ash online that were definately used. I've stopped buying online unless it is from an individual. Send it back.

dloome
08-30-2006, 23:46
BAKING SODA. It fixes everything. Or even better, those effervesecent (sp?) tablets used to clean dentures will take the smell out of anything. Drop a few in a small bucket and soak the straps, it will work.

River Runner
08-31-2006, 00:58
Use pet odor remover. Works great to get BO odor out of my hiking shirts.

fiddlehead
08-31-2006, 05:46
it's not like you havent heard enough different solutions to your problem here. BUt i will give you one more: Vinegar and water. it takes cat piss smell out of carpets. spray it on and wait. simple

sirbingo
08-31-2006, 09:39
Yikes! That must be some funky BO! :eek:

I second the vinegar and water idea...good luck and let us know how it turns out.

:clap

dirt
08-31-2006, 14:22
Mcnett's Mirazyme will remove it no doubt. That stuff removes some of the worst smells ever, even skunk.

http://www.rei.com/product/47553035.htm

Skyline
08-31-2006, 14:36
A friend once had his bivy skunked WHILE HE WAS INSIDE because he through a boot at a moving object that kept clawing at the screening. He didn't see the white stripe til it was too late. Surprisingly, only the bivy took a direct skunk hit.

He was about to give up on the bivy after a week of trying this and that. We visited Rusty at Hard Time Hollow the next weekend, and got some unusual advice. He said to bury it in a shallow grave for a week and then dig it up. The smell should be gone, he said. Damn if it didn't work! Guess when an old mountain man speaks, you ought to listen.

Will it work on B.O.? I dunno, but it worked on skunk. Let us know...

Smile
09-01-2006, 15:07
So, do you still have that stinky pack or did you return it?

nutlub
09-02-2006, 09:46
I'm keeping it and yes, it's still stinky....but that’s cuz I haven't had a chance to soak it yet.

I'm just waiting for a sunny day in which to dry it out...its been cloudy for 2 weeks straight here in NYC!!
:mad:

Ender
09-02-2006, 15:46
I'm just waiting for a sunny day in which to dry it out...its been cloudy for 2 weeks straight here in NYC!! :mad:

Tell me about it.

As far as soaking, if you use OdoBan or Mirazyme, you shouldn't have to soak the entire pack, just spray it down and let it hang in your shower for the afternoon. Should be more than enough.

But, if you are going to soak it, I think it's going to be at least a little sunny on Monday.

Spock
09-03-2006, 00:51
NutLub,
Only one thing will work for the shoulder strap funk: Myrazime by McNett.

It works on football pads and wet suits, and it's the only thing that cleaned up my backpack shoulder straps. Please believe, I have tried everything already posted in the forum. We're talking AT thruhike funk here, understand? Myrazime.

blindeye
09-03-2006, 10:57
why keep it? return it to rei !!!