PDA

View Full Version : Essential resupply points

vaporjourney
08-30-2006, 11:29
I'm trying to compile a list of the towns where the resupply options are very limited, and thus having a box shipped to you is encouraged. Here are the cities i have written down on my list so far. Feel free to add more, or tell me that some of these towns are actually fine to resupply for food in.

Fontana Dam
Port Clinton, PA
Bear Mtn, NY
Delaware Water Gap
Harpers Ferry, WV
Glencliff, NH

Footslogger
08-30-2006, 11:37
Things change a bit from year to year but in preparing for my thru in 2003 I identified 3 places for an actual "food maildrop"

Harpers Ferry, WV
Bear Mountain, NY
Glencliff, NH

In retrospect those WERE (at least in 2003) the right places to send food. I was able to re-supply without a hassle everywhere else.

'Slogger

Skyline
08-30-2006, 11:52
There is, or at least WAS, an excellent compilation of resupply data and tactics by Baltimore Jack right here on WB. On the left side of the opening WB page, under Appalachian Trail Articles, by clicking on "AT Resupply," you should be taken to it. For some reason it's not working today.

jlb2012
08-30-2006, 12:59
There is, or at least WAS, an excellent compilation of resupply data and tactics by Baltimore Jack right here on WB. On the left side of the opening WB page, under Appalachian Trail Articles, by clicking on "AT Resupply," you should be taken to it. For some reason it's not working today.

I had no problem accessing the resupply articles (IE 6.0).

Skyline
08-30-2006, 13:34
I had no problem accessing the resupply articles (IE 6.0).

OK, you have to click on the triangle, not the words "AT Resupply"--then you get a sub-menu to select which part of the very excellent article you want to view.

Might be a good idea for ATTroll to let WB users know this is how to view the articles. It is not self-explanatory--I only figured it out by accident.

Anyway, this should certainly provide more info and thought about AT Resupply than most of us ever dreamed existed.

MOWGLI
08-30-2006, 13:48
I'm trying to compile a list of the towns where the resupply options are very limited, and thus having a box shipped to you is encouraged. Here are the cities i have written down on my list so far. Feel free to add more, or tell me that some of these towns are actually fine to resupply for food in.

Fontana Dam
Port Clinton, PA
Bear Mtn, NY
Delaware Water Gap
Harpers Ferry, WV
Glencliff, NH

If you stay at the Hike Inn near Fontana Dam you can get a ride into Robbinsville for pizza and to the Ingles Supermarket there in town. Lots of hikers choose this stop.

I got a ride from a Ridgerunner in Port Clinton to the local supermarket. You can always hitch. It's not all that far.

At DWG I got a ride from a Ridgerunner into East Stroudsburg where a bunch of us had dinner and then went to the Super Wally World for re-supply. Good times.

The remaining three choices all are pretty good places for a drop. Glencliff is also a great place to mail yourself some winter gear in prep for the White Mountains. The weather can get pretty sketchy there at all times of the year - including July & August.

mweinstone
08-30-2006, 19:27
but not a must have anywhere. the AT can still be walked without the post office being involved. just a thaught.

Lone Wolf
08-30-2006, 19:32
What pray tell, did Earl do? My God he musta suffered greatly!:eek:

Appalachian Tater
09-07-2006, 01:06
There's a fast & cheap city bus from Harper's Ferry to a shopping center with a Walmart in Martinsburg, the next town over.

I had no maildrops. The only place one would have been nice was at Fontana Dam Village, but I wouldn't recommend staying there anyway.

Uncle Silly
09-07-2006, 17:59
No need for a maildrop at Bear Mountain (NY), either. A nice fellow gave me & 4 other hikers a ride to the grocery store from the Graymoor Friary. I don't know if this is real common at the Friary, but there are plenty of road crossings in the area to hitch from.