PDA

View Full Version : 2007 flip-flop

Omarwannahike
08-30-2006, 18:25
Hello all,

I am thinking of starting in Rockfish Gap on May 1st, then go down to Spring.

Has anyone any comments on this plan (so far), better place to start, etc, etc? Personal experiences with a similar hike?

Much appreciated,

max patch
08-30-2006, 19:51
Is this the first section of a thru and when you reach Springer you'll flip back Rockfish and head north? Or is Rockfish to Springer what you will be hiking?

If you are doing a thru, FWIW I started May 1 at Springer and finished the first week in October with no problems.

Omarwannahike
09-06-2006, 17:08
We (3) are lokoing to start at Rockfish in May, go North, then come down again.

We dont have a lot of hiking experience, but we want to do it.

Any suggestions... flatter walk to start, etc, are very welcomed.

Thanks,

max patch
09-06-2006, 17:36
Well, like I said I started 5/1 and finished the first week in October with no problems.

You would be surprised how many peoples first overnight backpacking trip is when they start their thru hike.

If I was starting on 5/1 I would start at Springer and head north. If it looked like I wouldn't finish in time I would jump up to Katahdin and hike south. One location to do this would be Delaware Water Gap although you have more options that just this one.

The ATC has a section on alternative routes on their website. Check out the following link for more info:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.848729/k.6FA1/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

trlhiker
09-10-2006, 14:37
My suggestion is to do a week long trip to see if the three of you are compatable and actually enjoy backpacking day after day in all weather first before planning a thru hike.

Omarwannahike
09-10-2006, 15:58
Planned two weeks in March/April around DWG/White mountains.
Gives me the rest of April to send mail drops or not.

Thanks for the advice.

SawnieRobertson
09-10-2006, 16:53
Hello all,

I am thinking of starting in Rockfish Gap on May 1st, then go down to Spring.

Has anyone any comments on this plan (so far), better place to start, etc, etc? Personal experiences with a similar hike?

Much appreciated,

It depends, of course, on your daily miles average, but you are maybe find it getting a little warm down South. Read Ponderer's journal from 2004. He started in Shenandoah NP, but he began much earlier. It worked though.--Kinnickinic

Omarwannahike
09-10-2006, 17:45
Will take a look at it, thanks.