PDA

View Full Version : In defense of men

Lilred
08-30-2006, 18:28
I'm sorry, but I have just got to comment on the threads that have been closed. I've hiked just over 500 miles of the AT and I would like to tell of a couple of instances that I have experienced.

First, at Justus Creek. I met a guy who went out of his way to help me set up my tent, hang my food bag, and generally watched out for me and another gal the rest of the section I was hiking. What a gentleman! We still remain in contact.

Secondly, while hiking in the Smokies, another female hiker and I had to tent outside a shelter while 14 guys were safely locked away inside, behind the chain link fence. Two guys gave up their spots in the shelter and slept outside, cowboy style, with us in case some unfriendly wildlife showed up. Again, pure gentlemen.

I have had nothing but great experiences from the men I have met on the trail and am always impressed with how solo women hikers are looked out for. THAT is the norm on the AT, as far as I have experienced. Just wanted to put that on record. Thanks Guys!!

Would love to hear from other women who have had similar, gentlemanly, experiences.

Skidsteer
08-30-2006, 18:50
Great idea for a positive thread Lilredmg.

Programbo
08-30-2006, 18:59
I'm sorry, but I have just got to comment on the threads that have been closed.

Speaking of that why exactly were some of those threads closed?..I had been following one and then noticed it just vanished...I didn`t see anything wrong with the replies for the first 2-3 pages..Is it required to delete an entire thread if someone makes an objectionable reply?

gumball
08-30-2006, 19:50
I don't know about the threads being closed, but I hike with gentlemenly gentlemen all the time. Are there people who creep me out? Sure...but not all of them are men, and there are certainly fewer on the trail than in everyday life.

This was not a personal experience, but my husband and two of our hiking friends who are male, went to VA last year. I know they met a young woman who they hiked with for quite awhile and with whom they corresponded for some time after that--I don't know whether or not she needed anyone to "watch over her", but I think our husbands dad-ed her right up the trail. There are lots of good men out there.

dixicritter
08-30-2006, 20:14
Speaking of that why exactly were some of those threads closed?..I had been following one and then noticed it just vanished...I didn`t see anything wrong with the replies for the first 2-3 pages..Is it required to delete an entire thread if someone makes an objectionable reply?

No threads have vanished. There were two threads both are still in this forum both are closed to new posts as was decided by all admin based on troll activity. If you have something to add to this thread topic then please do so, otherwise please drop it. Thank you.

Gray Blazer
08-30-2006, 20:21
Thanks, MG. I don't do things for women because of what I might get out of it, I do it because it's the right thing to do. I can understand if some women are creeped out by men. If a woman on the trail seems creeped out, I don't take it personally. Most of the women I've met on the AT could probably beat my butt! (Amigi, I know what your'e thinking. Don't even say it!)

Programbo
08-30-2006, 21:15
No threads have vanished. There were two threads both are still in this forum both are closed to new posts as was decided by all admin based on troll activity. If you have something to add to this thread topic then please do so, otherwise please drop it. Thank you.

I beg your pardon?..I was replying to what the original poster said in this thread..She stated she wanted to add something to closed threads and I simply asked if it was necessary to close or remove the entire thread instead of simply deleting the offending "troll" posts you mention as I was curious how this particular board worked as opposed to other boards I`ve used or run..If the before mentioned threads haven`t "vanished" then why do they no longer show up either in the forum or in the list of posts I`ve made?...I don`t mean to cause trouble but these questions naturally came up from the original posters wording.

Skidsteer
08-30-2006, 21:20
.If the before mentioned threads haven`t "vanished" then why do they no longer show up either in the forum or in the list of posts I`ve made.[/color]

Vanished thread. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16948)
Another vanished thread. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17000)

dixicritter
08-30-2006, 21:45
Thank you Skidster.

As to the topic of this thread...

Most of the male hikers I've met have been nothing but gentlemen to me.

blackbishop351
08-30-2006, 22:07
Most of the male hikers I've met have been nothing but gentlemen to me.

On the other hand, some of the "offensive" ones may have just been scared s#$%less of your husband, Dixie! :D

Programbo
08-30-2006, 22:17
Thank you Skidster....As to the topic of this thread...Most of the male hikers I've met have been nothing but gentlemen to me.

I shall say thank you also even though neither of the links you provided led to the specific threads I was speaking of :p

But to get back on topic..I haven`t done any long distance hiking in a looooong time...Back in the day (What does that mean anyway?...LOL) female hikers were few and far between but we always went out of our way to be polite and gentlemanly I guess mainly because you could just appreciate how out of place or uncomfortable a lone female hiker must feel being out there so you wanted to try and help her feel as at ease as you could

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2006, 22:24
I'm glad Bishop went and said it cuz I was thinking exactly the same thing!!

Amigi'sLastStand
08-30-2006, 23:01
I'm glad Bishop went and said it cuz I was thinking exactly the same thing!!
Ditto. As I read this, I'm thinking, "Ok, bet DC never had a bad experience."

I think frieden has had some good experiences. She was treated like gold by Grayblaze and me. Then again she can probably beat GB up, so....:p

dixicritter
08-30-2006, 23:07
LOL... Y'all make him sound all scary and stuff. He's gonna love that. ;)

Ewker
08-30-2006, 23:20
anyone want to mess with Sgt Rock

SGT Rock
08-31-2006, 00:04
I ain't that rough looking am I?

As to men. There are some damn idiots out there that make us all look like dirtbags. I've been around enough of them to know. But on the other hand a real gentlemen sticks up for a ladies honor, and once I posed as a woman's husband so a guy would quit hitting on her (not on the trail). It was pretty darn funny to see the look on the guys face when she said "That is so rude to ask me for my phone number in front of my husband like that!" I didn't realize she was using me for that for about 1/2 a second then I played along with her.

It has been my experience that the majority of backpackers (including the men) are the sort of people that stick up for each other and watch out for each other. A hiker is usually the kind of person that would help you make a meal if you were hypothermia or would give you some food or water to make it to the next point if you were running low. They are normally the kind of person that would stop what they are doing and go the shortest route to help if they found you in trouble. And they are the kind of person that also respects your space and privacy because they are also living without any.

Now the sort of person that would pretend to be a woman on this board when they are really a man just to manipulate you all is the sort of person that I was talking about that makes us all look bad. That sort of person finds pleasure in creating strife - he did so in his original ID and then when he saw an opportunity to do it (his other ID was in "time out") he went for it and created a huge fight. He/she probably sat back, patted himself on the back for how clever he was, and got the rest of you to worry more about fighting than agreeing. That is the sort of person that has issues on the trail and then blames others around him instead of seeing that it is him the creates the problems himself - and if you knew who he was, you would know exactly what I am talking about. And other hikers did take HIM to task when he said that stuff here on the board.

Those threads skidster put links up for were the other threads I was thinking you were referring to programbo. We ended up closing those two because the "truth" about the situation is probably never going to really be out, but others want to hope it would. And at the same time the thread was turning into a **** magnet that I saw start leaking out to other threads by some posters. I wanted to head it off before it got too hot. I am all for the rational discussion of the issue, but saying things like "keep your legs closed and this won't happen" don't really help a lot, and a couple of trolls egging things on damn sure only made it worse. We are currently discussing a new rule about how to deal with folks that create user IDs just to manipulate people.

Programbo, if you are talking about some other threads I am totally unaware of them. What were they?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-31-2006, 07:52
I moderate on some BBs that have nothing to do with hiking. As SgtRock says, once a snowball starts rolling downhill, it is just going to get bigger and collect more scat. It is better to close it - especially if trolls are fanning the flames. If it isn't closed, then the moderators end up having to monitor it closely and I'm pretty sure SgtRock, ATTrol, DixieCritter, and the rest have far better things to do.

About the topic of this thread - It has been many years since I have had problems on the trail. The people - both genders - have mostly gone out of there way to be helpful and kept an eye on us as we hiked since I resumed hiking after the accident. Before that, they were willing to share their knowledge and tips (and we were willing to leave copious amounts of my special gorp at shelters :D)

I hiked alone or with children for years and rarely had any problems. What problems I did have I was able to handle.

I put a serious hurting on the only fellow that ever attempted a physical assault. He did not look like he belonged in the woods - he was carrying a pack that wouldn't have been able to hold the items needed for a day hike, he was wearing steel-toed boots and cotton everything. Polyester knits and nylon were around even way back then. I notified the authorities of what had happened and the likely presence of an injured man on the trail. It turned out I had injured his foot, knee and groin - he had jumped bond in another state and had five prior convictions for rape.

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 07:59
I put a serious hurting on the only fellow that ever attempted a physical assault. He did not look like he belonged in the woods - he was carrying a pack that wouldn't have been able to hold the items needed for a day hike, he was wearing steel-toed boots and cotton everything. Polyester knits and nylon were around even way back then. I notified the authorities of what had happened and the likely presence of an injured man on the trail. It turned out I had injured his foot, knee and groin - he had jumped bond in another state and had five prior convictions for rape.

You Go, Girl!!:banana

Two Speed
08-31-2006, 08:12
. . . I put a serious hurting on the only fellow that ever attempted a physical assault. . .I'm gonna second GB on this one. You go, girl!

mrc237
08-31-2006, 08:24
I have a Mother, Wife, 2 Daughters, 3 Grandaughters in my life. I try to remember all of them when I'm around female hikers.

D'Artagnan
08-31-2006, 08:44
It may sound hokie or quaint in this day and age, but I try to treat the ladies I encounter on the trail in the same manner I would my grandmother, mom, or sister. I don't go overboard and try to insinuate my way into doing something I know they are perfectly capable of doing themselves, but should they obviously need help, I would be more than willing to lend a hand. As far as that goes, I would do the same for any of the guys who needed help.

I was recently with some friends in West Virginia riding ATV's on the Hatfield-McCoy Trail System. One evening, we all got cleaned up (hosed of the mud) and drove into town for dinner. When we approached the truck, I just naturally opened the door for one of the other guy's wives. She looked at me and said that she couldn't remember the last time anyone opened a door for her. I just did it from instinct. Just like walking on the street next to my girlfriend, I always take the side nearest traffic. I don't know, it's just the way I was raised. Not all of us men have ulterior motives. Some of us still know what chivalry is and practice it. I hope some day that my sons (when I have them) will know how to treat a lady, too. Thanks for the thread, MG!

TOW
08-31-2006, 09:09
I have hiked with more than a few women that I have met along the trail. And most of those women befriended me instead of me befriending them.

Sgt. Rock reminds me of the time when I first started hiking. I had met Tammy and Sherry, two very beautiful young ladies that were doing a two week hike. We were hiking in the Smokies together.

I had just came back on the trail from Gatlinburg and was headed to Icewater Springs Shelter when I ran into them. This was early September and the Huckleberries were out and ripe for the picking. I stopped to see what they were eating and we hit it off from the very start.

I think they felt like they needed to keep an eye on me because I was out there with all the wrong gear and it was obvious that I did not even have a clue as to what this hiking was all about.

For fat ole ugly me to be flattered by a couple of very lovely young lasses just made my day.

We hiked together for awhile and they decided to push ahead and meet me at the shelter to reserve a spot for the three of us.

When I came into the shelter area they had set their tents up out front. Sherry came right up to me with fear in her eyes and said "I hope you don't mind, but I told them drunks in there that my husband would be here any moment. They have been hitting on us ever since we got here."

At first I was shocked, then I got angry. I decided this problem needed squashed immediately and told the girls to stay where they were at, dropped my pack and walked up into the shelter and invited any trouble that anyone of these guys were willing to dish out.

Needless to say, they became very apologetic and offered us their food that night of which I never turned down. I even let them wait on me by serving up their breakfast to me the next morning.

After they departed the next morning I thought "Wanderer you could just as easily have gotten killed."

I love people and I love you women. I am a man and have had more fantasies than you could shake a stick at about all the women I have encountered out there on the trail. But I also know what being preyed upon is all about. I experienced it alot as a child, that's another story that does not need to be discussed here.

It is our duty as human beings to watch out for each other when we are out there on the trail, male or female.

Toolshed
08-31-2006, 09:21
Lil'RedMg,
I appreciate your comments, but I don't know if I really like the thread title "In Defense of Men"
It might lead one to beleive that for some reason we need to be defended, as in we must be a bunch of louses, and this just perpetuates the myth. as in "I know what you all think, but in defense of them...."

I beleive that if there were a thread titled "in Defense of Woman", there would probably be numerous rants (similiar to this :D ) with calls to remove the thread.

I do beleive there are creepy men as well as creepy woman and those scumbags of each sex can equally mask their intentions. Just as you have run into good people on your trip, I hope to do the same on my next trip :)

D'Artagnan
08-31-2006, 09:47
... At first I was shocked, then I got angry. I decided this problem needed squashed immediately and told the girls to stay where they were at, dropped my pack and walked up into the shelter and invited any trouble that anyone of these guys were willing to dish out....

I suspected you were a stand-up guy who would take care of what needed taking care of, no matter the odds. This just confirms it.

I'm hoping to head back to Damascus in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll run into you. Keep 'em straight up there.

rtfi
08-31-2006, 10:21
Not sure where I picked this up, but when I come across a woman (or women) hiking I make sure I don’t ask them where they are headed for the night. This is a natural question since we might be headed to the same shelter, but could also imply that I would alter my plans to be near them. I instead say something like, “I’m off to the Brink Road Shelter, maybe I’ll see you there later.” As others have suggested above, it is the little things like this that men can do that make women feel safe hiking.

Just Jeff
08-31-2006, 10:28
Dealing with women on the trail is easy. Be friendly. If it looks like they're uncomfortable with you, leave. Simple.

I earned the trust of two young women on the Foothills Trail this way...they were probably 18 or 19. They came upon me looking at a big Cottonmouth and we stood there for a while, then they hiked on. I met them again down by the river and stuck around chatting for a bit, but then it looked like they were uneasy...so I said goodbye and hiked on. The next time I happened to run into them, they were MUCH more friendly. Nothing else had changed...I guess they just realized that I wasn't looking for anything. We even talked about camping together that night but I ended up going for my first 25 mile day instead.

If they had needed help (besides lightening their enormous packs :p ) I would have stuck around, but as it was I had no reason to.

Just Jeff
08-31-2006, 10:30
Not sure where I picked this up, but when I come across a woman (or women) hiking I make sure I don’t ask them where they are headed for the night.

Good point. I often bring up my wife and kids...that puts women more at ease whether I'm on the trail or in the city. And for some reason I get more attention in bars with my ring on than I ever did when I was "looking." Not fair.

TOW
08-31-2006, 10:37
I suspected you were a stand-up guy who would take care of what needed taking care of, no matter the odds. This just confirms it.

I'm hoping to head back to Damascus in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll run into you. Keep 'em straight up there.I'll be here, I'm working at Cowboys now in the evening stocking shelves......

Nightwalker
08-31-2006, 10:39
Wooooow. Gettin' cold in here.

Not sure things are changing for the better, but with my freedom lovin' attitude, y'all won't have to worry about me for very long...

TOW
08-31-2006, 10:45
I do beleive there are creepy men as well as creepy woman and those scumbags of each sex can equally mask their intentions. Just as you have run into good people on your trip, I hope to do the same on my next trip :)
This reminds of the time back in '01 after I had passed north of Mt Rogers when I was standing on the trail after looking into a grove for a place to pitch my tent by this stream.

I spied two young girls hiking from the south with no tops on! I stood there until they came right up to me just a gawking at what laid before my eyes!

All at once one of the young ladies screamed at me saying "What the **** are you looking at you pervert?!"

I replied "It is very obvious but it is not me who is the pervert here my dear lady."

They hurried past me. But I could not believe what that girl said to me. I mean she and her friend were topless? Should I have looked the other way? I think not, I am a man you know.......

Alligator
08-31-2006, 10:53
I always look folks straight in the eye Wanderer. It sets them more at ease. Of course, in situations such as you describe, my peripheral vision works just fine too:o ...

TIDE-HSV
08-31-2006, 10:57
absolutely hilarious. I guess if they had been bottomless also, then you would have been double the pervert...:confused:

Ewker
08-31-2006, 10:58
some guys have all the luck

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 10:59
This reminds of the time back in '01 after I had passed north of Mt Rogers when I was standing on the trail after looking into a grove for a place to pitch my tent by this stream.

I spied two young girls hiking from the south with no tops on! I stood there until they came right up to me just a gawking at what laid before my eyes!

All at once one of the young ladies screamed at me saying "What the **** are you looking at you pervert?!"

I replied "It is very obvious but it is not me who is the pervert here my dear lady."

They hurried past me. But I could not believe what that girl said to me. I mean she and her friend were topless? Should I have looked the other way? I think not, I am a man you know.......

Larry, I need to go hiking with you.Whoops......I just blew my cover. (I am a man, too).

bigcranky
08-31-2006, 11:25
We ran into those same two young ladies back in '01. It had to be the same two, but they were on the Pine Mountain Trail in the afternoon. Big packs, no tops, and it looked very um, uncomfortable. We had some explaining to do to our 11 year old daughter who was hiking with us.

I just wish there had been a big troop of Boy Scouts behind us..... <g>

MOWGLI
08-31-2006, 13:12

You short, fat, balding guys probably get profiled as perverts all the time. How unfair. :rolleyes:

max patch
08-31-2006, 13:27

On my thru when I was hiking thru the SNP I came across 2 young ladies out for the day who were having a picnic on a grassy spot maybe 10 feet off the trail. Both topless. I guess they were working on their tans?

Time To Fly 97
08-31-2006, 13:41
In Europe, sunbathing topless is normal. Not a big deal at all. The US is pretty uptight in comparison, IMHO.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Ewker
08-31-2006, 13:46
I have no problem with women wanting to hike nude :banana

ok, I am a DOM

Footslogger
08-31-2006, 13:48
Did you ever hear about the hunter who hiked into the woods and came upon a woman lying naked on a blanket ?? He asked her if she was game and she replied ...YES and he shot her !!

Sorry ...all this talk of topless women reminded me of that old joke.

'Slogger

Smile
08-31-2006, 13:56
Wow, has this thread ever gone off track.....!

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 13:58
Smile, I think your'e right.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-31-2006, 13:59
Lilred starts this thread in defense of us, then it devolves into naked chicks hiking topless..... Think about it.

Creek Dancer
08-31-2006, 14:02
Wow, has this thread ever gone off track.....!

LOL. Yeah, I know. The thread starts off by defending men and then it slowly turns to men talking about nekkid women. You guys crack me up.

I've never met a man on the trail that I thought was a threat. That's not to say everyone out there is an angel - I've just never had a problem. Then again, I am careful about my personal safety so maybe that's why.

I just love this dancin' banana!:banana Is this the official whiteblaze boggie?

Smile
08-31-2006, 14:04
Yeah, that kinda defeats the point of the thread :-)

You're kinda showing your horns a bit guys - on a thread meant to say how safe male hikers are. Everybody's human, but it's definately gone a different direction.

Probably good stories for a "You won't believe what I saw" thread though! :-)

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 14:11
Lilred starts this thread in defense of us, then it devolves into naked chicks hiking topless..... Think about it.

I'm trying not to. It's hard.:rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 14:13

Yeah, like the time I ran into the Swedish Bikini Backpacking Team on Tray Mountain. Whoops......sorry ladies........ at least they had their tops on.:o

SGT Rock
08-31-2006, 14:47
Well I have been approached with great caution before by fully clothed women. I guess a guy in a Hawaiian flower silk shirt on the trail must be a psycho.

I swear I am harmless though. Only one woman out there I want to spend the night with in a tent.

TOW
08-31-2006, 15:08
We ran into those same two young ladies back in '01. It had to be the same two, but they were on the Pine Mountain Trail in the afternoon. Big packs, no tops, and it looked very um, uncomfortable. We had some explaining to do to our 11 year old daughter who was hiking with us.

I just wish there had been a big troop of Boy Scouts behind us..... <G>they sure did have some big packs.........might have been them.......

TOW
08-31-2006, 15:11
Yeah, that kinda defeats the point of the thread :-)

You're kinda showing your horns a bit guys - on a thread meant to say how safe male hikers are. Everybody's human, but it's definately gone a different direction.

I'm sorry I got everybody off track, I'll be a good boy now..............

SGT Rock
08-31-2006, 15:13
Yes, you know us men. We get to thinking about all the things we are not supposed to. The good thing is that even though we think them, we can still be gentlemen.

In defense of women, they still put up with us. Gotta love that.

TOW
08-31-2006, 15:21
In defense of women, they still put up with us. Gotta love that.

This reminds me of the time back in '02 when I was having a good ole argument with Imelda. If you recall in another thread, this is the lady that L. Wolf had claimed he ran into hiking naked in the woods on hike naked day around here who he politely referred to as a dyke who just so happens to be my better half..............

But anyway, well, well, okay. I know I promised I'd be a good boy, so I guess I had better quit being reminded.............

TOW
08-31-2006, 15:24
absolutely hilarious. I guess if they had been bottomless also, then you would have been double the pervert...:confused:that would have been hard on my eyes....one eye up and one eye down..........i'd have been left cross eyed..........

generoll
08-31-2006, 17:03
speaking of thread creep, let me tell my tail of unforseen events. i used to volunteer as a youth leader for our church when i was in south florida. Palm Beach county to be exact. once upon a time i thought that it would be a good idea to get the kids involved in volunteering so we decided to so a beach clean up. lots of stuff gets washed up from boats offshore as well as left by beachgoers. i was bringing up the rear and keeping everyone moving and each of my kids had a large trash bag. as we were walking down the beach i happened to look ahead and notice a rather strange phenomena. as the boys walked past these two ladies lying on lounge chairs they all did an about face and began to walk backwards. when i got closer i discovered why. the dear ladies were sunbathing topless. some of my kids chose not to come on that particular event and after the story got around i was inundated with requests for another beach cleanup.

Lilred
08-31-2006, 17:12
LOL you guys crack me up. If a woman is going to show off her ummm, girls, I would worry about y'all if you didn't try to get an eyeful.

Time To Fly 97
08-31-2006, 17:21
LOL you guys crack me up. If a woman is going to show off her ummm, girls, I would worry about y'all if you didn't try to get an eyeful.

This is my point. If a woman wants to bare breasts, it shouldn't be big deal. Only in America do men spaz out on this, because our government tells us this is bad. Men who don't know any better simply don't know how to act - and just gawk away...which is rude.

My feeling is that this is a very natural thing and men should act like gentlemen in the presence of a lady, bare breasted or not.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Smile
08-31-2006, 17:46
Well I've gotta hand it to all you guys on here, you are all very honest with us, and that's always appreciated!

My feeling is that this is a very natural thing and men should act like gentlemen in the presence of a lady, bare breasted or not.

Well said TTF97

:-)

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2006, 18:02
Having hiked quite a ways with him nine years ago, I can assure you that
T2F is ever the gentleman, and this has nothing to do with whether or not there are bared bosoms in the equation.

Of course, on those occasions, he was still a real gentleman, but of course, this was many years ago.

I'm sure nothing has changed.

Just Jeff
08-31-2006, 18:50
Only in America do men spaz out on this, because our government tells us this is bad.

I lived in downtown Vicenza, Italy, for three months and there was a billboard across the street in the plaza with a topless lady wrapping her arms around a man...you could see most of one whole breast including the nipple. I saw it every time I looked out my window. And they played lots of American songs on the radio, but they beeped out words of violence and most mention of guns.

Only in America are violence and guns (not in the responsible 2nd Amendment sense, either) more acceptable than sex, love and the human body.

TIDE-HSV
08-31-2006, 19:33
clearly remember the first topless lady I saw in public (not counting strip bars). I was sitting at a sidewalk cafe' in central Copenhagen on the Stroeget, their pedestrian walkway that cuts right through the middle of the city. She was sitting at the cafe' across the way, gorgeous blonde, perky, uh, "jugs." I was sitting with my wife, MIL and two daughters, so I had to strain the peripheral vision and fill in with imagination. None of my "ladies" noticed. This was, BTW, in the 70s...

TOW
09-01-2006, 08:45
You short, fat, balding guys probably get profiled as perverts all the time. How unfair. :rolleyes:especially us unmarried ones that dip copenhagen...........

TOW
09-01-2006, 08:51
LOL you guys crack me up. If a woman is going to show off her ummm, girls, I would worry about y'all if you didn't try to get an eyeful.Thankyou my dear lady for defending me! Finally a woman who knows a mans weak points............!

TOW
09-01-2006, 08:52
This is my point. If a woman wants to bare breasts, it shouldn't be big deal. Only in America do men spaz out on this, because our government tells us this is bad. Men who don't know any better simply don't know how to act - and just gawk away...which is rude.

Happy hiking!

TTF
Look pal, speak for yourself..............

Just Jeff
09-01-2006, 10:09
Look pal, speak for yourself..............

Uh...he was. That's why he said, "My feeling is that..."

TOW
09-01-2006, 12:00
TTF, JJ just opened my eyes up, I apologize......I was just joking anyway, like being a smart elick you know.....I never have been a smart elick before so I thought I would give it a shot to see how it would come out......not too good I can see.........I'm really an inteligent("that's short for not too smart") person, a real legend in my own mind................oh well........

Time To Fly 97
09-01-2006, 13:03
I figured as much. No worries.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Just Jeff
09-01-2006, 14:07
Don't stop the smarta$$ comments just over this...it adds humor as long as it's in fun. I wasn't trying to bring the party to a screeching halt there!

TOW
09-01-2006, 17:03
Don't stop the smarta$$ comments just over this...it adds humor as long as it's in fun. I wasn't trying to bring the party to a screeching halt there!You were picking on me and you know it! I am going to have low self esteem for the rest of the night and the only thing that will bring me out of this is that you come here to Damascus and apologize publicly that you insulted what little intelligence poor ole fat Wanderer ever had...........or maybe you can send me a years supply of buffet tickets at Shoney's?

LilRed, please I need you baby...........I need that defense right now!

Dixie Critter? How about you, I need you to jump on the band wagon here, Just Jeff is picking on me and I am going to get fatter because of it if he does not stop! Sorry Sgt Rock, I need to use your wife for my greatness for a moment. Hope you don't mind?

You just wait Just Jeff, I bet that ain't really your name, it is Jeff Just isn't it?

You better hope Gypsy don't get on here pal, she defends me from Lone Wolf beating me up all the time! He picks on me all the time too, he says because I'm fat, wear glasses and I'm bald headed and he has observed me eating my boogers! Can you believe that? Me, eat my boogers? I know for a fact that I only do that when I am in my room with the doors locked! In fact I do a few other things there as well when the doors are locked, like, well never mind. Lone Wolf has never seen me do this, I don't care what he ever tells you.

Gypsy? You on here girl! Jeff Just is warming up for the kill on me here..............yaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... .................

dixicritter
09-01-2006, 17:47
Are we having fun yet? LOL

Don't y'all start misbehavin' in here, I've already made folks mad for doin' my job 'round here and y'all go stirrin' the pot causin' trouble. Shame on you. ;)

TOW
09-01-2006, 17:50
You see what I mean Jeff Just? I got 'em all on my side, in fact they think I am their angel. When LilRed first wrote this, ut was me she was thinking about...............

ed bell
09-01-2006, 17:58
Are we having fun yet? LOL

Don't y'all start misbehavin' in here, I've already made folks mad for doin' my job 'round here and y'all go stirrin' the pot causin' trouble. Shame on you. ;) The DC will put the smackdown on youse guys if'n ya step outta line!;) I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nice job holding down the homefront dixicritter. You have been doing a fine job with your moderating duties.

Cedar Tree
09-01-2006, 19:41
I am hoping this thread has deteriated to telling of topless girl hiker encounters.

I am telling this from memory so I can't remember specific shelters or states.
On my hike, late one evening about dusk, up north somewhere, I encountered a young couple, male/female on the trail heading sobo.
They were searching for the shelter, and felt they had missed the turn off.
I said I didn't think I had missed any shelters and continued on. I got to the next shelter soon and after a while they showed up too. We had a good evening of conversation. The next morning, I was up first and began eating breakfast and packing up. They got up too and he grabbed their water jugs and headed down to the creek about .2 away. Thats when the show began. As soon as he left, she came out of her sleeping bag in panties and a loose tank top. And before I continue let me say she was about 22 and had an awesome body. She began stretching and doing yoga type moves, where in my opinion she was obviously exposing herself, much to my enjoyment. I just sat and watched her perfomance. After about 15 minutes, he came back, she stopped, and I hiked on, but I can still see her in my mind now.

Think I'll run see what the wife's doing.
CT

Just Jeff
09-01-2006, 20:16
TOW, just don't try to eat my boogers and we'll get along just fine...

TOW
09-01-2006, 22:38
TOW, just don't try to eat my boogers and we'll get along just fine...Who me? I would never do such a disgusting thing......Though I was a kissing a girl one time out on the trail, I mean we was like really slobbering all over each others face and I got kinda near her nose, never mind............

I know. I ain't right........................

Gray Blazer
09-01-2006, 23:05
Who me? I would never do such a disgusting thing......Though I was a kissing a girl one time out on the trail, I mean we was like really slobbering all over each others face and I got kinda near her nose, never mind............

I know. I ain't right........................

Hey, Are you really Larry the cable guy?

Just Jeff
09-02-2006, 00:45
That girl on the trail? Covered in moles...

TOW
09-02-2006, 08:58
Hey, Are you really Larry the cable guy?No. But I should be, I think he has stolen every cottonpickin thing out of my brain before I had a chance to speak it................some guys have all the luck.........

TOW
09-02-2006, 09:01
That girl on the trail? Covered in moles...don't you start on Imelda pal....................moles? let me tell ya all right now, the one i speak of hiked the whole trail back in 1702 is what she told me. or was that 2002? crap, i don't know.................

saimyoji
09-02-2006, 21:30
Breast Fest anyone?? Gotta move to Brattleboro Vt. :D

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NAKED_TOWN?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-09-02-17-19-37

Gray Blazer
09-02-2006, 21:49

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NAKED_TOWN?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-09-02-17-19-37

Better move there before winter. I would protest our country's reliance on oil, but, if I rode nude on a bicycle through town it would probably have a very negative effect (most likely sickening) on everyone.:eek:

bfitz
09-03-2006, 02:05
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........boooobies............... ...

TOW
09-03-2006, 08:50

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/N/NAKED_TOWN?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-09-02-17-19-37see what them girls on the trail started????