PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Hagas Loop

Shutterbug
08-30-2006, 21:20
Yesterday, I hiked the Gulf Hagas Loop Trail. I hiked the loop counterclockwise. The first half is just a walk through the Maine woods, no different than hiking the AT in the same area.

The return portion of the loop is along the rim of Gulf Hagas. On the "Rim Trail" one passes a series of water falls and rapids. The trail itself is difficult when it is wet, like yesterday. Although I was careful, I fell four times. One of the falls was hard enough to knock the wind out of me. I am a little sore today, but have no broken bones.

Anyway, I satisfied my curiosity about the Gulf Hagas loop. A picture album is available at:

http://www.davemcclung.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=47

Shutterbug

DawnTreader
08-30-2006, 22:31
nice work.. had to pass by gulf hagas due to lack of food.. but had originally planned to hike the loop... I will be back someday

asphalt commando
08-31-2006, 10:31
Nice pictures. Did the "100" in 2000, and had always regretted that I did not hike the gulf trail. Now I know why...great shots....Thanks

stumpknocker
08-31-2006, 10:43
The trail itself is difficult when it is wet, like yesterday. Although I was careful, I fell four times. One of the falls was hard enough to knock the wind out of me. I am a little sore today, but have no broken bones.
Shutterbug

Yeah, I agree......those rocks are slick even when they're not wet. I took a good fall there too on the wet rocks. :)

It's well worth the time to take that walk.

Nice photos. Good to see some leaves starting to chang colors.

DawnTreader
08-31-2006, 11:30
Stumpknocker,
I met you in Maine this year, are you and Mrs. Gorp done hiking for the time being?

stumpknocker
08-31-2006, 11:44
Stumpknocker,
I met you in Maine this year, are you and Mrs. Gorp done hiking for the time being?

Hello there.......Mrs Gorp is walking now (I think) and I'll be back at Glencliff, NH walking south to Catawba, Va starting in about a week.

Been giving my plantar fasciitis in my right foot a rest.

I'm anxious to get started again. :)