PDA

View Full Version : Another Shoe Question

Bravo
08-30-2006, 23:47
Please no opinions. Accomplished thru hikers only.

I'm becoming very fond of hiking in shoes. I'm still in test phase so I haven't decided on exactly what shoe I'm wearing yet("07thru.)

For the 2,000+ mile shoe wearers. What shoe did you wear and how many pairs. Did your feet really get bigger and did you have to change sizes? Should you buy ahead and ship or plan to buy new shoes along the way? If you ship at what how many miles until you need a bigger size?

Thanks for your advice.

fiddlehead
08-31-2006, 00:56
Montrail Vitesse. they last me about 1500 miles per pair.
I buy them 2 sizes too big.
My feet got about 1 1/2 sizes bigger when i took up hiking seriously.
Since i haven't done a thru now in almost 4 years, they are almost back to their original size although i doubt they ever will because i still jog. (although not as much)
I learned the hard way and wouldn't accept the fact that it was my feet that got bigger and that was what was causing the pain. Once i got new shoes that fit, the pain went away. however buying them even bigger than fitting keeps blisters away as well. (for me anyway) good luck and have fun.

Nean
08-31-2006, 01:10
I buy whats on sale at the shoe stores along the way. :o I like them a half size too big when hiking as my feet will grow a full size over the course of a hike. Everyone is different,
of course ;) so when and how much is what you find out along the way. I can were a pair of running shoes for 8-900miles but most would be better changed every 500+-YMMV;)

DawnTreader
08-31-2006, 03:00
Please no opinions. Accomplished thru hikers only

ehhh ehhhmm
Many Section Hikers have way lots more AT miles than a one shot "accomplished thru".. Many are long distance hikers and have to deal with things like shoe resupply and swollen feet. Most have not finished the trail.. Lots have spent tons and tons more time on the trail then you will in 07'.. you should seek out the opinions of experienced people, not just the thru "gods"....The attitude begins...

fiddlehead
08-31-2006, 05:35
ehhh ehhhmm
Many Section Hikers have way lots more AT miles than a one shot "accomplished thru".. Many are long distance hikers and have to deal with things like shoe resupply and swollen feet. Most have not finished the trail.. Lots have spent tons and tons more time on the trail then you will in 07'.. you should seek out the opinions of experienced people, not just the thru "gods"....The attitude begins...
I don't think it's swollen feet that we're talking about when your feet grow from a thru. On a section hike, it may never happen that your feet grow bigger. That is probably why he asked the original question and wanted thru-hikers to answer it. It is my opinion that ones feet grow bigger because of the fact that you are suddenly 20-40 lbs heavier than normal and your feet are now being used harder than they ever have in the past and you do this day in and day out. (unless you have been an accomplished ultra-runner or have thru-hiked the past few years) I believe bone mass actually increases during a day in day out hike not unlike a woman being pregnant. Your bones grow, your feet don't swell up and just stay that way.
I don't believe he is in any way downplaying section hikers vs. thru-hikers. Just trying to find out in advance what may happen to him. anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Bravo
08-31-2006, 09:49
I don't believe he is in any way downplaying section hikers vs. thru-hikers. Just trying to find out in advance what may happen to him. anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Thank you. This is true. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I also wouldn't dare say someone is a hiking God just because of a thru(a busted watch is right twice a day.) No disrespect but you and I both know there's probably someone sitting at home who walks 5 miles on a paved trail every 3rd Saturday that could say "I love xyz shoe and they've lasted me 1500 miles at least. Oh boy they're the best and you should wear them too." That kind of stuff is what I wanted to avoid.

Please excuse the attitude. I don't think I have one. I'm just looking for accurate info. If you've got accurate info by all means lay it on me. Thanks.

DawnTreader
08-31-2006, 11:26
good points.. sorry about the outlash.. I had a late night last night :)

Blissful
08-31-2006, 19:27
Wow, if only all threads were like this, understanding, forgiving, apologizing, supporting. I mean many are, but this one is exemplary. :)

On the other side - I only hope my boots will be big enough for my thru as I bought two pair already. Now I'm nervous. Sigh.

DawnTreader
08-31-2006, 20:27
btw.. my feet grew only 1/2 size on a 300 mile section through maine, making my original footwear (montrail mt. mist) unberable.. not to mention the gortex issue.. I learned the hard way, gortex in trail runners=bad news. I switched to Merrill Messa Ventillator.. They really did the trick for me the rest of the way..

mweinstone
08-31-2006, 23:43
iv had 6 pairs of asolo 520gx. never wore anything else.onepair goes a thousand miles.and iv failed to thru 3 times.

vaporjourney
09-01-2006, 08:03
Another: what exactly happens to the shoes to let you know that you need replacements? Perhaps they no longer fit and cause pain, you can tell soles are worn b/c rocks suddenly hurt your feet, the shoes are falling apart at the seems, etc?

highway
09-01-2006, 08:20
Consider sandals, but only those designed specifically for walking/running along mountainous trails.

Try Tevas (Wraptors in my case but there are others) Tevas are preferred by those requiring a softer feel on the soles of their feet. Chacos is also a great choice and are for those requiring a harder feel for the soles of their feet. But both work well and you have less of a bother from foot enlargement over time under a pack. Wearing them, you really want not stub your toes as you might think you might and it will instead make you become considerably more nimblefooted than you would be wearing more substantial footwear. And besides, we have worn sandals for considerably longer than we have worn shoes. But you still have to break them in to conform to your particular foot contour and after you do, you will have almost the same as an extremely expensive pair of custom orthotics cushioning you underneath each of your steps. Your feet will love you for the choice.

Sadly, few make the change.

Bravo
09-01-2006, 08:40
Consider sandals, but only those designed specifically for walking/running along mountainous trails.

Do you still wear socks?

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 08:56
Another: what exactly happens to the shoes to let you know that you need replacements? Perhaps they no longer fit and cause pain, you can tell soles are worn b/c rocks suddenly hurt your feet, the shoes are falling apart at the seems, etc?
==============================

You hit the nail square on the head. When the shoes start to fall apart (soles delaminate, uppers shread) and/or the soles soften to the point where you start to feel rocks on the bottoms of your feet.

In response to the original poster ...when I transitioned to trail shoes from boots I tried several brands/styles. I narrowed it down to Montrails and New Balance. The

Nean
09-01-2006, 08:59

I think you about covered it. Even my 39.95 specials get a minimum 500miles, and there is no break in period. Most times a shoe will still look ok from the outside but the soul has broke down.

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 09:01
==============================

You hit the nail square on the head. When the shoes start to fall apart (soles delaminate, uppers shread) and/or the soles soften to the point where you start to feel rocks on the bottoms of your feet.

In response to the original poster ...when I transitioned to trail shoes from boots I tried several brands/styles. I narrowed it down to Montrails and New Balance. The NB's were lighter and dried quickly but were not as durable as the Montrails. Through trial and error I ended up with the Montrail "Java". I went through 2 pair of them during my thru in 2003. One pair developed a crack in the sole when I got to Bear Mtn, NY. I contacted Montrail and they agreed to replace the shoe if I sent them the damaged ones. Within a week they had mailed a new pair to my home.

I still hike in the Montrail Java today although they are getting harder and harder to find.

'Slogger

Bravo
So did you all pick up new shoes along the way or did you already buy/break in and have them shipped?

Nean
Do you still wear socks?
In winter you do!!:eek: :D

By the way, I meant sole, not soul.:o :)

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 09:03
I personally bought several pair in advance of my hike. The brand/style I like were not easy to find along the trail. I was a bit concerned about foot elongation during my hike and I did experience some "swelling" from time to time. But I found that by using a good foot bed in the shoe the amount of elongation was kept to a minimum.

'Slogger

Nean
09-01-2006, 09:04
So did you all pick up new shoes along the way or did you already buy/break in and have them shipped?
If you buy shoes in advance you risk out growing them before you get em out on the trail.:(

Bravo
09-01-2006, 09:04
using a good foot bed in the shoe
'Slogger

What's a foot bed?

Nean
09-01-2006, 09:07
What's a foot bed?
Its a little bed w/ 5 pillows!:D

Bravo
09-01-2006, 09:08
So are the pillows down or synthetic? LOL

highway
09-01-2006, 09:11
Do you still wear socks?
Yes, I still wear socks. They keep the skin moist so the heels dont crack over time, which is probably the biggest drawback. I wear smartwool ones and if wet and I'm moving they still keep my feet warm. In July I saw no other foot prints (other than elk, goats, mule deer) ahead of me on the CDT from Blue lake northward out of New Mexico in the southern San Juans of Colorado, so i was the first to walk across many, many sheets of ice & snow from the remaining snow pack of winter. I got there wearing Tevas and I crossed the ice and snow wearing them, too. I felt no need for shoes and certainly not heavy boots! This is the extremelymountainous area of the Rockys which makes a long loop to the west (northbound) then circles back to the east at about lake City, Colorado. Many CDT thruhikers elect not to go along this section because of the height (much near 13,000 ft), its ruggedness, and snow pack, well into summer, and take the "Creede cutoff" instead.

But once on top of it all it is the most beautiful part of the world I have ever seen. But, I digress:cool:

Nean
09-01-2006, 09:12
haha:D No really............down.:D The footbed is the inside bottom of the shoe. Many like insoles like Superfeet, or custom molded ones.;)

Bravo
09-01-2006, 09:13
haha:D No really............down.:D The footbed is the inside bottom of the shoe. Many like insoles like Superfeet, or custom molded ones.;)

Yeah. I thought it was insoles. Just never heard the term footbed before.

highway
09-01-2006, 09:17
Shoes have insoles, sandals mostly dont. With a shoe the insole is a thin piece of cheap foam. But with a quality sandal, the footbed oviates the need of the cheap insole. I am surprised it wasn't obvious:sun

Nean
09-01-2006, 09:18
and take the "Creede cutoff" instead.

But once on top of it all it is the most beautiful part of the world I have ever seen. But, I digress:cool:

Thats actually the "Creede shortcut" but some book writing speed hiker didn't want to feel like he was taking every shortcut he could find, so he could brag on how fast he did the trail, and thus we have cutoffs so it doesn't sound like SHORTCUT!

Nean
09-01-2006, 09:20
My bad. I thought a shoe had a footbed w/ an insole (it doesn't have to be cheap or foam;) ) on top.

highway
09-01-2006, 09:28
Nope, its "cutoff".
But the CDT is not a continuous footpath like the AT is. In places there is no trail at all. There may not be a visible indication you are actually on it at all for miles and even then it may just be a branch or stick in the air propped up by rocks. Often one just follows rock cairns, when there are any and often times they are a long way apart. So much individual license is permitted for those few who venture to do it, not like the purists of the well marked AT where a visible marking is always in sight. A map and compass is seldom used on the AT and is a luxury for only some. On the CDT it is a necessity and is used constantly. Those who do take the "cutoff" usually do so because of a general reluctance to posthole so far away from anything

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 10:18
What's a foot bed?
==================================

Shoes/boots all come with a thin foam "insole", generally with the manufacturers name on it. They are nothing more than a advertising/cosmetic covering for the bottom of the shoe/boot.

No 2 feet are the same and often the right and left foot vary for an individual hiker. A footbed is an aftermarket device that adjusts for high/low spots with respect to the hikers foot visa vis the shoe/boot. All footwear is designed to fit a "range" of sizes and foot variations. What a footbed does is fine tune the shoe/boot to your individual foot.

Some folks don't need them but most do. One example of a quality footbed is something called "Super Feet"

'Slogger

Alligator
09-01-2006, 10:51
Nope, its "cutoff".
But the CDT is not a continuous footpath like the AT is. In places there is no trail at all. There may not be a visible indication you are actually on it at all for miles and even then it may just be a branch or stick in the air propped up by rocks. Often one just follows rock cairns, when there are any and often times they are a long way apart. So much individual license is permitted for those few who venture to do it, not like the purists of the well marked AT where a visible marking is always in sight. A map and compass is seldom used on the AT and is a luxury for only some. On the CDT it is a necessity and is used constantly. Those who do take the "cutoff" usually do so because of a general reluctance to posthole so far away from anythingHave you thruhiked/completed the CDT?

highway
09-01-2006, 12:14
Have you thruhiked/completed the CDT?
NO. I have been section hiking it, though, for years

vaporjourney
09-01-2006, 12:58
I like the idea of not buying shoes ahead of time, just in case your feet swell/stretch on the trail. however...isn't it hard to find good trail running shoes in these small towns without a good outfitter? Sure I know there are good outfitters in Hot Springs, Demascus, etc...but I would assume that less than 1/4 of the towns have a good outfitter with good shoes like montrail's. Am I wrong?

Alligator
09-01-2006, 13:03
NO. I have been section hiking it, though, for yearsOK, just trying to put your lecture to Nean into perspective.

Nean
09-02-2006, 00:51
OK, just trying to put your lecture to Nean into perspective.

Thanks Alligator;)
I must admit highway made me smile.:)
Maybe if Creede was your destination, it would be a cutoff.:-?

Truth be told, it's a short cut, by any name, you wish to call it.:eek:

P.S. Thanks to 'Slogger too

Jack Tarlin
09-02-2006, 13:33
As a general rule, buying extra shoes ahead of time and breaking them in, often doesn't work out.

Even if on assumes that their feet will grow in the course of a long hike, the pre-bought shoes often don't fit right, and the hiker is left with a shoe or boot that has been purchased, worn, and broken in, i.e. a shoe that is unreturnable, that he has no use for.

For most folks, it makes more sense to buy replacement shoes en route, as you need them. Breaking in new shoes while hiking can be chancy; people need to pay attention to their feet, watch for hot spots, etc. It is very possible that one will experience blisters or other problems immediately after getting new shoes, but hopefuly these problems will be minimal and short-lived.

The key thing is to buy the right shoe and to make sure it's properly fitted at the point of purchase; do not, repeat DO NOT purchase shoes on-line.

In my experience, the best boot-fitters on the Trail are Winton Porter in Neels Gap; Wayne Crosby at Bluff Mountain Outfiters in Hot Springs; Dave Patrick or Tom Davenport at Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus; Laura Wright at the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry; also the folks at the Mountain Goat in Manchester Center, VT are excellent.