PDA

View Full Version : Anybody who never intends to hike the whole AT but still loves this website?

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 10:26
For whatever reasons, I never intend to hike the whole AT. I still admire those of you who do, and, who knows, maybe some day I will hike the whole darn thing. Is there anybody out there who loves the AT, but, for any reason, does not intend to Thru-hike the whole thing at least for now? I'm not trolling or trying to stir the pot. I don't intend to make people with health reasons feel bad that they can never hike the whole thing. I just love the AT and this website. Anybody else?:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-31-2006, 10:35
Due to a permanent injury to my right leg (paralyzed vastus lateralis) there is some question that I will be able to hike certain sections that require climbing. I still intend to give it my best shot and to hike every inch I can.

Ewker
08-31-2006, 10:44
I want to hike it but it will be at least 10 yrs before I can. What keeps me motivated is to see folks in their 60's and 70's thru-hiking the AT

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 10:45
Fro, I know you love the AT and this website.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-31-2006, 10:47
Now that I'm healthier again, I have lost interest in thruing the AT, but am determined to thru the FT first and then the PCT once my finances catch back up. I've cooled on WB some, but this is still a great website.

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 10:48
Ewker, I know we'll get together someday. I won't be able to do the Suothern Get Together we talked about earlier (in September). I hope you'll be able to get out to the 2nd Annual Rocky Bald Hiker Feed. Looks right now it will probably be the 1st week in April.

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 10:49
Amigi, maybe you and I can thru it someday together. JJ

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 19:59
Well, I knew there weren't many of us. I think there may be some more. They may be afraid to come out of the woodwork. WB is supposed to be a Community of AT Enthusiasts. It seems to me to be a community of mostly elitist thru-hikers and section hikers trying to impress the thrubees and get a trophy under their belt. I can't help it. That's my opinion. I'm certainly enthusiastic about hiking on the AT. I'm sorry I'm just not enthusiastic about thru-hiking it right now. Maybe later. Maybe not. Although I'm not a part of the elite group of former, future and present thru-hikers, please accept me as part of the fringe of the community, ready to help with my limited knowlege and experience. You can think of me as the black sheep of the WhiteBlaze family. Good at a lot of things, expert at nothing. I do have some nice, framed in barn wood, photos of the AT in GA, NC and TN. I have been on the AT in a lot of other states. I just don't have those pics digitalized yet. They are for sale and when I figure it out, I'll have a website where people who truly love the trail could, if they wanted , purchase an authentic Appalachian Style framed pic of the AT. I love you guys and I've loved the AT ever since my Dad took me and my brother up to camp on Blood Mountain when I was 9.

speedy
08-31-2006, 20:17
You aren't alone on here. Me and a friend have this conversation almost every time we go (he's a member, but I'll let him expose himself). Even though there's parts I've done multiple times and enjoyed it, I do tend to look at most things as challenges. I think he'd be content to never leave GA whereas I'm hopping to do a tripple crown someday. :D speedy

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 20:20
I knew it. BTW, love your avatar.

WalkinHome
08-31-2006, 20:45
Hi Gray Blazer,

Why all the angst? I am confused by your post alluding to an inferiority complex due to your not caring about doing an AT thru hike. IMHO your broad generalizations are unfair and unfounded. Are there elitists out there? Sure. Are there fair minded, concerned and selfless types out there also? Sure and everything in between. The AT and WB community are a cross section of humanity which brings with it all of the attendant virtues and flaws. IMHO this is life. Most of the members of the Maine AT Club barely acknowledge there is an AT beyond the Maine/New Hampshire border LOL. That does not automatically categorize them as anything other than an AT supporter. It does not make them good, bad or indifferent. Their focus and attentions just happen to be on Maine. There are many negative and confrontational words in your post that I think does the AT/WB community a disservice. Just my two cents, excuse the soapbox, sleep now. Be safe.

Sly
08-31-2006, 20:45
WB is supposed to be a Community of AT Enthusiasts. It seems to me to be a community of mostly elitist thru-hikers and section hikers trying to impress the thrubees and get a trophy under their belt. I can't help it. That's my opinion.
Thrubees?

Thru- and section hikers are elite by virtue of their hikes, but hardly elistist as most are willing to share in their experience to help wannabes.

toddhiker
08-31-2006, 21:07
Due to two knee (ACL) reconstructions and my job as a financial consultant, I can't do the whole thing. Just parts of it and other hikes. (Will do the Foothills Trail in March)

However, I've read more great, HELPFUL advice on this site than I recall! I've sensed very little "elitest" attitudes. I acknowledge there is some, but those folks are the minority - and even they are helpful most of the time. Most are willing to help each other, which we need more of in all aspects of society!

Keep hikin', making stoves :D :D , and pushing the envelope...even the fanatics!!!!

toddhiker

FanaticFringer
08-31-2006, 21:19
Hi Gray Blazer,

Why all the angst? I am confused by your post alluding to an inferiority complex due to your not caring about doing an AT thru hike. IMHO your broad generalizations are unfair and unfounded. Are there elitists out there? Sure. Are there fair minded, concerned and selfless types out there also? Sure and everything in between. The AT and WB community are a cross section of humanity which brings with it all of the attendant virtues and flaws. IMHO this is life. Most of the members of the Maine AT Club barely acknowledge there is an AT beyond the Maine/New Hampshire border LOL. That does not automatically categorize them as anything other than an AT supporter. It does not make them good, bad or indifferent. Their focus and attentions just happen to be on Maine. There are many negative and confrontational words in your post that I think does the AT/WB community a disservice. Just my two cents, excuse the soapbox, sleep now. Be safe.

I do believe your post is the one with many negative and confrontational words. You really need to take a chill pill.:rolleyes:

dixicritter
08-31-2006, 21:27
Well I'm with y'all. :D I'm not going to thru hike... ever. Not my thing, even if my health would let me. The most I do is day hikes currently.

Oh and I suppose I support WB ;) :D

FanaticFringer
08-31-2006, 21:46
I dont ever plan to hike the whole thing. In sections over a long period of time is not out of the question though. If I did a thru I would be a bag of bones at the end and my hard earned muscle I have killed for over many, many years would be eatin up:eek:

The Old Fhart
08-31-2006, 21:58
Gray Blazer-"It seems to me to be a community of mostly elitist thru-hikers and section hikers trying to impress the thrubees and get a trophy under their belt."That is not correct. All you have to do is read the articles section to see how these seasoned hikers with many miles have gone out of their way to provide information to others who may be planning to do anything from a day hike to something a little, or a lot longer.

You constantly see threads about someone wanting info on shuttles, resupply, what gear to use, what stove might fit their needs, and on and on. The WhiteBlaxe community goes out of their way to help these people.

There is a big difference between having knowledge based on experience and being an elitist. Sure there is a spectrum from the helpers down to the negative types you perceive dominate this site, but you are wrong. Walkin' Home just pointed that out quite nicely and only the fanatical fringe would misconstrue what he said.;)

It is also interesting that after painting everyone who has hiked the trail as elitist and being self-centered you conclude your post with a sales pitch for photos you've taken on the trail. I believe there is another section in the forums for people who want to buy and sell stuff.:D .

StarLyte
08-31-2006, 22:09
Now that I'm healthier again, I have lost interest in thruing the AT, but am determined to thru the FT first and then the PCT once my finances catch back up. I've cooled on WB some, but this is still a great website.

Hey Amigi-
I've been wanting to thru the FT....I was supposed to start this Dec. 31 but felt I should wait another year; I didn't want to hike by myself---thought I did, but I don't.

Maybe we'll talk about it - form an FT hike group or something, or whatever-just a thought. I have a few friends who want to rendezvous with me on certain parts.....talk about it on another thread....;)

vf457l
08-31-2006, 22:28
Since I am unable to take off of work for 6 months straight until I retire in 19 or so years I will not be able to thru hike the entire trail now. I do plan on section hiking the entire trail until then since I may be able to take a month off every now and then. Hopefully, God willing, when I retire I will still be in shape and healthy enough to thru hike the entire trail. I have been camping since I was 10 and I love being in the outdoors wether it be fishing, hunting, car camping with my family or the Boy Scouts or backpacking a small loop trail here in Jersey. I find all the posts on this site informative and they relate to any camping trip, not just the AT. Reading about other peoples thru hikes gets me all excited and tingly inside thinking that someday I will thru hike the trail. Until then will still visit this site and be part of the hiking community taking my weekends and week long trips.

Disney
08-31-2006, 22:42
I'm in the same boat. It'll be quite some time before I can attempt another thru. I will try though, come hell or high water, I'll keep trying till they put me in the ground.

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 22:46
That is not correct. All you have to do is read the articles section to see how these seasoned hikers with many miles have gone out of their way to provide information to others who may be planning to do anything from a day hike to something a little, or a lot longer.

You constantly see threads about someone wanting info on shuttles, resupply, what gear to use, what stove might fit their needs, and on and on. The WhiteBlaxe community goes out of their way to help these people.

There is a big difference between having knowledge based on experience and being an elitist. Sure there is a spectrum from the helpers down to the negative types you perceive dominate this site, but you are wrong. Walkin' Home just pointed that out quite nicely and only the fanatical fringe would misconstrue what he said.;)

It is also interesting that after painting everyone who has hiked the trail as elitist and being self-centered you conclude your post with a sales pitch for photos you've taken on the trail. I believe there is another section in the forums for people who want to buy and sell stuff.:D .

I love this website and if you'll read my post carefully, you'll see that I did not "paint everyone who has hiked the trail as elitist and self-centered". And I have learned from everyone and I will continue to learn. Thankyou all.

As for the photos, I'm sorry I mentioned them. You can have one for free if you'd like. I haven't sold any yet but have given quite a few away.

ed bell
08-31-2006, 22:47
I'm in the same boat. I think there are quite a few of us in that boat. We're gonna need a bigger boat.:)

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 22:47
By the way, OF. Your photo gallery on WB is the best, no $**T. The NH sunrises and Presidentials are my favorites!

SNAKEDOCTOR
08-31-2006, 22:49
No need to make a big deal about thru hiking the thing. Enjoy the time you have in in the woods, see the sights, explore the side trails, stop and smell the the Moutain Laurel. Salute the thru hikers when you meet them and go enjoy your own thing. For me hiking is not a competitive sport. I hike to get away from those things.

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 22:50
No need to make a big deal about thru hiking the thing. Enjoy the time you have in in the woods, see the sights, explore the side trails, stop and smell the the Moutain Laurel. Salute the thru hikers when you meet them and go enjoy your own thing. For me hiking is not a competitive sport.

Amen, Brother!:sun

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 23:12
Well I'm with y'all. :D I'm not going to thru hike... ever. Not my thing, even if my health would let me. The most I do is day hikes currently.

Oh and I suppose I support WB ;) :D

Thanks, DC. When I said most were elitist, I should have said a lot. I tried to choose my words carefully and not be negative. I don't think I was doing a disservice to the AT and WB community. Just like WALKINHOME I'm entitled to my opinion. And in my own little way, I have tried to contribute to the AT and this website and Thru-hikers and will continue to do so in the future.

dixicritter
08-31-2006, 23:29
No worries GB. I was just trying to lighten the mood a little. :)

Y'all know I don't hike that much. LOL

Gray Blazer
08-31-2006, 23:34
No worries GB. I was just trying to lighten the mood a little. :)

Y'all know I don't hike that much. LOL

In my book you know you're way cool! God bless you and your family.:sun

RockyTrail
08-31-2006, 23:42
If I ever thru it will be years in the future, I dunno.
I like just to get out there, knock out some miles, breathe the air, take a break, eat some food, move along and generally enjoy the amazing world we live in. And if I meet some nice folks along they way, why that's extra gravy! Ain't it great?:sun
Enjoy your hike, no matter what your destination!

Amigi'sLastStand
09-01-2006, 00:08
Hey Amigi-
I've been wanting to thru the FT....I was supposed to start this Dec. 31 but felt I should wait another year; I didn't want to hike by myself---thought I did, but I don't.

Maybe we'll talk about it - form an FT hike group or something, or whatever-just a thought. I have a few friends who want to rendezvous with me on certain parts.....talk about it on another thread....;)
That is a definite angel. And no, I dont wanna thru the FT solo either. I dont hike fast enough, and while it doesnt have the falling dangers of other trails, it has plenty of its own. You can go 150 miles and not see another soul unless you resupply. We should talk about this for next year. Email me when you're ready.

Green Bean
09-01-2006, 01:35
I love the site! and I love to hike! and someday hopefully I complete a Thru hike. ~GB

SGT Rock
09-01-2006, 03:50
Actually I prefer it where all who come here are equal from the newbie that hasn't even seen the AT to the 8 time thru-hiker. And add all in between plus the service providers, trail angels, and family members of hikers that just want to come learn about the trail and the community of people that surround it. A few years back when I joined another website, I felt the vibe on that board was your experience did not fully count unless you had thru-hiked and I hated it. I may have spent more time living continuously in a tent, or spent more total days living in the woods than a thru-hiker, but I was regularly reminded that I didn't know what it was to do X until I thru-hiked even when it was something as simple as how to make an alcohol stove: "you don't really know how well that stove is going to do until you thru-hike with one"

Sort of pissed me off. Lets face it, section hikers can change gear every week or weekend, they are not stuck using the same stuff every hike and trying to make it work. Plus many have probably accumulated as much time as some thru-hikers that never hike before and suddenly get the urge to thru-hike a trail and only do that and then decide they are an expert on backpacking. I met two southbound thru-hikers near the end of their hike that had little to no fire making skills. Seems a little less than expert to me LOL.

And a section hiker that hikes the same section 3 or 4 times probably knows it better than a guy that thru-hiked it once. I had that conversation (in fun of course) with a thru last year. She actually said that I didn't know what it is like to have to get through this certain section we talking about up north (I think it was north) because she was a thru-hiker and had already done that section - I told her that this was my third time doing the area that included that part up there and probably new it better than she did. It was all done in fun, and she was a great person - but that is part of my point with this, section hikers have great things to share to make thru-hikers experience better too.

Thru-hikers and potential thru-hikers ought to listen to section hikers on things and not dismiss them out of hand as I have seen them sometimes do. We can all learn from each other. Thru-hiking is just a big hike. It only makes you special if you think it does.

It is a great thing to be comfortable being a section hiker. Seems like the majority of thru-hike attempts end up in failure because people that start it have not accepted the fact that thru-hiking is not for them. Kudos for being comfortable in your own hiking boots.

d'shadow
09-01-2006, 06:16
While i love the idea of hiking the whole trail, frankly, I'm not sure I could make it. Love to hike, always have, only limited by having to work full time for a living and very little money left for fancy gear with which to hike. I fully support anyone who has the physical and financial ability to become a thru-hiker, more power to all of you who make it!:sun

Gray Blazer
09-01-2006, 13:46
Hi Gray Blazer,

Why all the angst?

Undoubtedly it is because after 30 something years of drinking coffee every morning I have suddenly quit cold turkey. I do not agree that the AT is a cross section of humanity. I, myself, have never seen African Americans, Hispanics and not too many women on the AT. However, it may be true about WB.:sun

littlelaurel59
09-01-2006, 13:57
I love to hike, or simply to "be" in the natural world. My favorite summer job was as a hiking leader at a camp in the NC mountains.

Work and family responsibilities prevent me from being out as much as I would like.

I understand why people have the dream and make the committment to achieve their goal. That said, I have no great desire to thru the AT. I have achieved enough personal goals to satisfy my soul. If I had the chance to take 4-5 months off for outdoor pursuits, I would probably head out west and/or overseas. There are lots of mountains I haven't seen.

Still, I enjoy WB. I have learned some things, and enjoy reading of others' experiences when I can't experience them myself.

Sly
09-01-2006, 14:13
Thru-hikers and potential thru-hikers ought to listen to section hikers on things and not dismiss them out of hand as I have seen them sometimes do. We can all learn from each other. Thru-hiking is just a big hike. It only makes you special if you think it does.

LOL.. reminds of a conversation I had at Trailfest '98 with a "thru-hiker" that hiked into town (270 mi). I told her that I started in '97 and had to bail after a 1000 miles because of an injury and planned on finishing later that year.

"Oh, you're just a section hiker!"

otterman
09-01-2006, 14:36
I'd like to finish the AT section by section, but I doubt that I'll ever thru hike. Who cares. I'm having fun doing sections and that is what is important. Whiteblaze is a great place for any hiker as far as I'm concerned.

Brrrb Oregon
09-01-2006, 14:44
My twins are seven. I don't see myself doing any thru-hikes until they can either do it with me or take care of themselves while I'm gone.

If we ever do a thruhike at that point, I think it will be the PCT. My husband and I would like to hike in the Northeast and the Appalachians at some point, though. I've been enjoying having this chance to have a contact with the hikers back East and getting some sense of what trail conditions are like. For instance, it was interesting to hear someone write about not needing sunscreen "when things leaf out." Our forests are almost entirely evergreen, with a deciduous understory. Of course....but I never thought about that.

My sense just from the greater numbers who attempt the AT is that solitude is a good deal harder to come by back there, and leaving no trace even more important. As much as Mt. Hood is being loved to death here, I can't imagine the difficulties you have on your popular trails. I think that hikers (or would-be hikers) are a much more visible sector of the population here, though. You can't throw a rock in Portland without hitting a Subaru.

LIhikers
09-01-2006, 15:56
I'll probably never do a thru hike if my present plan works out. My wife and I started section hiking the AT at Harper's Ferry and have been working our way north. Presently we're up to the road just south of Upper Goose Pond Cabin in MA. Our plan is to finish the northern half of the trail by the time I retire in about 13 years, that should be no problem, and then go back to Harper's Ferry and do the southern half of the trail as one journey.

If I should become unemployed, for some reason, at the right time of year I plan to grab my pack and attempt a traditional thru hike. The direction would be dictated by what month it is when I lose my job. I love the job I have now and wouldn't quit it to do a thru hike.

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 16:04
This thread kinda reminds me of the Lance Armstrong's book ..."It's Not About the Bike"

A "Section" goal is of no less significance than a "Thru" goal, especially to the the person hiking it.

I will always feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to stop the world (at least in my mind) and get off for 6 months. But I truly admire the committment and sticktoitiveness (sp??) of the section hiker who has to get ready over and over again each time he/she starts their hike.

'Slogger

woodsy
09-01-2006, 20:01
This site is for AT enthusiasts, so whether you thru, section, weekend or day it doesn't matter, we all have an interest in getting out and enjoying what the trail has to offer. There is something for everyone out there who is interested in hiking, exploring, getting away from it all etc....

moondoggy
09-01-2006, 20:28
Heck, I haven't hike in years (last time was in the Marines a long long time ago)......and I love this site' I was kinda kicking around the idea of a couple day tripson the AT....asked one question and got some really good information.....(Thanks again StarLyte) then I asked another, same thing...
I review each days threads at least twice a day now.....

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2006, 21:15
Fanatic Fringer:

Just so you know....

R.e. your above post #14....

Walkin Home, among other things, is a decorated veteran; a very accomplished hiker; a former thru-hiker; a noted Trail Angel who has helped
hundreds of hikers over the years; and most of all, an extremely dedicated volunteeer for the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, for whom he has donated countless hours, including editing their state Guidebook/Map set, which is the finest by far of all the state guidebooks.

Of all people, he doesn't need to take a "chill pill."

There are very few people out there who either care about the Trail, or know the Trail better than he does.

ed bell
09-01-2006, 21:26
This site is for AT enthusiasts, so whether you thru, section, weekend or day it doesn't matter, we all have an interest in getting out and enjoying what the trail has to offer. There is something for everyone out there who is interested in hiking, exploring, getting away from it all etc....Nice post woodsy. Thats what it's about. There is about everything you would ever want to know about spending some time on the AT on this site. Hell, there are hikers/backpackers here that can help with extreme conditions, obscure locations, or even bushwhacking. Great resource with helpful members. It really is my favorite board on the web.:sun

Sly
09-01-2006, 23:26
It really is my favorite board on the web.:sun

It's my Homepage!

Gray Blazer
09-02-2006, 00:13
Fanatic Fringer:

Just so you know....

R.e. your above post #14....

Walkin Home, among other things, is a decorated veteran; a very accomplished hiker; a former thru-hiker; a noted Trail Angel who has helped
hundreds of hikers over the years; and most of all, an extremely dedicated volunteeer for the Maine Appalachian Trail Club, for whom he has donated countless hours, including editing their state Guidebook/Map set, which is the finest by far of all the state guidebooks.

Of all people, he doesn't need to take a "chill pill."

There are very few people out there who either care about the Trail, or know the Trail better than he does.

To Walkin' Home.....You're a better man than I am, Gungha Din.

Gray Blazer
09-02-2006, 00:18
This site is for AT enthusiasts, so whether you thru, section, weekend or day it doesn't matter, we all have an interest in getting out and enjoying what the trail has to offer. There is something for everyone out there who is interested in hiking, exploring, getting away from it all etc....

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Mountain Man
09-02-2006, 00:18
Actually I prefer it where all who come here are equal from the newbie that hasn't even seen the AT to the 8 time thru-hiker. And add all in between plus the service providers, trail angels, and family members of hikers that just want to come learn about the trail and the community of people that surround it. A few years back when I joined another website, I felt the vibe on that board was your experience did not fully count unless you had thru-hiked and I hated it. I may have spent more time living continuously in a tent, or spent more total days living in the woods than a thru-hiker, but I was regularly reminded that I didn't know what it was to do X until I thru-hiked even when it was something as simple as how to make an alcohol stove: "you don't really know how well that stove is going to do until you thru-hike with one"

Sort of pissed me off. Lets face it, section hikers can change gear every week or weekend, they are not stuck using the same stuff every hike and trying to make it work. Plus many have probably accumulated as much time as some thru-hikers that never hike before and suddenly get the urge to thru-hike a trail and only do that and then decide they are an expert on backpacking. I met two southbound thru-hikers near the end of their hike that had little to no fire making skills. Seems a little less than expert to me LOL.

And a section hiker that hikes the same section 3 or 4 times probably knows it better than a guy that thru-hiked it once. I had that conversation (in fun of course) with a thru last year. She actually said that I didn't know what it is like to have to get through this certain section we talking about up north (I think it was north) because she was a thru-hiker and had already done that section - I told her that this was my third time doing the area that included that part up there and probably new it better than she did. It was all done in fun, and she was a great person - but that is part of my point with this, section hikers have great things to share to make thru-hikers experience better too.

It is a great thing to be comfortable being a section hiker. Seems like the majority of thru-hike attempts end up in failure because people that start it have not accepted the fact that thru-hiking is not for them. Kudos for being comfortable in your own hiking boots.

I agree 100% Sgt. Rock, And you can take it another step more and look at the trail maintainer who has worked a section or sections of trail for years and hiked in several miles to get to it over and over again. After a while it becomes like your own backyard. You know every turn in the trail every hill,certain trees,rocks. You become very very familuar with it. Or the club member thats led hikes over the same sections for years.
My guess is that no one knows a paticular section of trail better than the club members of the maintaining clubs up and down the "AT". I doubt that they are very few on this site that knows the Georgia section any better than I do, but yet I know alot of Georgia club members that knows it way better than I do that has spent a life time of maintaining the trail here.
I can remember a lot about the section of trail going up to the top of Katahdin but I could only imagine how well the person who maintains it has nearly every rock branded in his mind. Once you've spent thousands of hours working on the trail well you get the picture. :)
I've got a lot of respect for the thru hikers that have hiked the trail and I hope to join the ranks with them next year, but if I wanted to know something about a certain section of trail, I'd ask the one that maintains it because I'd be positive they could tell me what I needed to know.

Tin Man
09-02-2006, 09:04
My brother and I joke that we are on the 40 year plan. Having started sections in 2001 in CT and going north 50 miles each year (starting Hanover this year), we should finish New England by the time we retire. If we continue doing 50 miles a year, we would finish in our 80's - not likely! We debate the merits of doing a thru-hike at that time or just starting in CT and heading South to complete the rest of trail in one long section. When my brother talks about doing a nobo thru, I remind him that we will be battling all the crowds, heat in the mid-section, bugs, etc. In other words we would have to do all the things we purposely avoid when we section in the Fall. Sobo is appealing to me, I just have to convince my brother that summitting Katahdin at the end of a thru is not what it is all about. (Plus, he has summitted it 7 times already when he lived in Maine.)

I am just not sure how important a thru is to me. I admire those who do it and wish I had done it before I had responsibilities, but right now finishing the trail is what motivates me, not whether I can do it all at once.

NICKTHEGREEK
09-03-2006, 19:01
No intentions whatsoever to thru-hike, I love sections of the AT, but simply have no desire for an end to end.