PDA

View Full Version : Can you put the Hubba rainfly up first then the tent?

Michele
08-31-2006, 15:20
I was out in the rain the other day and was experimenting w/just using my rainfly/pole set up of my Hubba. The next morning I was thinking about it some more and wondered if anyone has or does put the rainfly up first and then the tent, in an attempt to keep the tent totally dry in rainy conditions? In my head I can't think of why this would not work, but thought I'd ask all of the experts here. Thanks!!

Ewker
08-31-2006, 15:24
Not saying you can't but how are you going to fasten the top of the tent to the poles. There isn't a lot of room under there

Tabasco
08-31-2006, 15:38
I've done that with my Hubba Hubba. Don't have a Hubba though, so I can't comment, should be the same I would think

rswanson
08-31-2006, 17:38
I've got an REI Quarter Dome. The rain fly attaches to the tent body with velcro tabs so they're 'mated' and you're setting both up at the same time. The tent interior stays dry in the rain as you slide the poles into the sleeves under the fly. Maybe the Hubba has something similar?

rswanson
08-31-2006, 17:42
Ah, never mind. I see that the pole set up won't allow that and the body is entirely mesh so I guess that's not an option.

Michele
09-01-2006, 09:18
Not saying you can't but how are you going to fasten the top of the tent to the poles. There isn't a lot of room under there

Well, seeing the only two attachment points for the rain fly (besides at the ends on the 4 corners) is that "cross-bar", I figured I'd be able to just slip the clips along the roof portion of the tent on the pole. I was thinking I could clip them on from the bottom and then just rotate them. Does this sound feasible (or better yet...am I making any sense)? I think I'll try it this weekend. I was just curious if anyone else did this.

Almost There
09-01-2006, 09:43
Too Much Work!!! Just get a little wet!

LostInSpace
09-01-2006, 17:49
I don’t have a Hubba, but I use the following technique with my MH Skyledge 2 when it's pouring down buckets. The Skyledge canopy connects to the poles only with clips; there are no pole sleeves. I can’t take this approach with my other double wall tents because they have pole sleeves.
Spread out the Tyvek footprint.
Put four stakes in the ground about 6 inches out diagonally from each corner of the footprint. The footprint helps me locate where I should put the stakes.
Spread out the rainfly and hook it over the four stakes. (Leave the canopy in the stuff sack at this point.)
Assemble the poles, put them under the rainfly, and from outside the rainfly connect the poles to the rainfly. This will raise the rainfly and the stakes will hold the corners in place.
Get under the rainfly with the still folded canopy.
Unfold the canopy and clip it to the poles starting at the top. This is actually pretty easy because without the floor of the canopy connected at the corners, there is not much tension on the canopy. It also makes it easier to insert the cross strut at the top.
Get out from under the rainfly.
Connect the four corners of the canopy floor to the poles.
Adjust the stakes as necessary.When breaking camp in the rain, do the reverse. The key is to keep the stakes in the rainfly loops so the rainfly will remain standing when I undo the corners of the canopy. Once I got the technique down and practiced it a couple of times, I could do it pretty quickly. Aslo, using four hooked stakes works better than straight "Y" of "V" stakes because with the hooks, the loops are less likely to pop off.

This technique may or may not work for you with the Hubba.

Waltzing Matilda
09-07-2006, 13:54
The hubba can be put up rain fly first but requires a bit of practice to be worthwhile. Knock Knock, one of the guys I hiked with this year figured out how to and did practice so he could put it up fast in the rain. I'm not sure if he did continue to do it that way the whole time though. I however found it fast enough to just put mine up the standard way even if it was raining. I can get him to explain how if you still need.
Waltzing Matilda