PDA

View Full Version : walking to fast

mweinstone
09-01-2006, 00:02
and getting blisters. even running down hills. not stopping to dry feet .am i alone or do you have trouble at the start of a long distance hike? do you ever loose hiking days because you walked someone elses pace or just overdid your own? isnt the hardest thing slowing down? help!

sliderule
09-01-2006, 13:29
"Walking to fast" or "walking too fast?" Two entirely different concepts!!!

Mouse
09-01-2006, 14:04
I started slow but saw all too many go too far and end up with anything from shin splints to stress fractures.

Conductor
09-01-2006, 14:58
Didn't lose any hiking days over walking too fast, but did lose some nice trail time.

I hiked with people and alone this past season. Seemed like I was either walking too fast or even too slow, so the point is you have to give up a little if you hike with someone. Meaning hiking within sight all day long.

IMHO, I miss a lot when I hike fast with someone. I get a whole lot more out of the day if I just poke along. But it makes for a long day on a thru hike.

Lone Wolf
09-01-2006, 15:00
If I'm gonna fast, I ain't walking nowhere.

Moon Monster
09-01-2006, 16:13
I've tried dozens of iterations of method and technology to prevent blisters in the first days of a new hike. Nothing ever works 100% for me.

But, blisters may slow me down, but they would never put my entire hike in jeopardy as long as I'm treating them from infection and from deepening into the skin.

However, it's the other types of injuries from pushing too hard too early that could put a hiker off trail (e.g., pulled or torn ligaments, tendons and muscles). The risk of those should dictate speed.

mweinstone
09-01-2006, 16:40
and thats smart wolverene.now,....i agree that slow, is great but takes too long.but im gonna do slow this next attempt. and just exstend the day a little. and learn how to hike at night and dusk.i really belive in slow. ive just never gotten unaddicted to fast. and fast has so many complications for me. i meet more people and want to hike there own hike. witch is wrong.but i need to get into a + 20 rythum. its what i remember most from my youth in PA. we allways did 22-25. and we carryied 50's and 60's.so my goal is to carry my 27 at 27 a day. im up to 18 on good days. i did one 18 in 67 days this last woosified attempt.basicly im a woos.