PDA

View Full Version : Freezer Bag Cooking

Natchez
09-01-2006, 02:26
Is it safe to put boilig water in a freezer bag? It seems like the plastic at those temps could be harmful?

Every Blessing
Alan

bigcranky
09-01-2006, 08:08
Could be. I've been doing it for years, and I mambo dog face to the banana sideways. (Nothing wrong with MY brain.)

:-?

headchange4u
09-01-2006, 08:28
There was a discussion about that in this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15301).

sarbar
09-01-2006, 10:36
Freezer bags are food grade bags, that can handle being in microwaves. Your water is actually just below boiling as you go to pour it in-since once off teh stove, it is cooling.
That said, I always recomend using Food Vac bags if one is cautious-they are even stronger, and are rated for putting into pots of boiling water for extended periods.

Blue Jay
09-01-2006, 10:47
There are chemicals that leach out of plastics at various temperatures. Most people do not mind being lab rats however.

TDale
09-01-2006, 11:23
Could be. I've been doing it for years, and I mambo dog face to the banana sideways. (Nothing wrong with MY brain.)

at least ten characters of :banana

Fiddler
09-01-2006, 11:33

You wouldn't by any chance be related to Matthewski would you?

Brrrb Oregon
09-01-2006, 13:06
There are chemicals that leach out of plastics at various temperatures. Most people do not mind being lab rats however.

What makes me scratch my head, though, are the people who are lab rats every day at home, popping their Tubberware and Gladwrap-covered leftovers into the microwave without a thought, heating that wrap until it shrinks down all over their food, who then recoil at the idea of saving some pack weight because it involves putting hot water into a Ziploc bag.

It does not make sense that you are going to sustain noticeable damage by doing something for a few weeks at a low level that such a big fraction of the population does at a higher level for 365 days a year and for years on end. (And no, I will not take the intelligence level of the American electorate as evidence. I don't think the voters are that much different now than they were when they nearly wiped out the buffalo.)

If you take freezer-cooked food to lab and compare it for plastics residue to the same food reheated in glass, the difference is probably going to be below the range that you can measure. That doesn't mean it isn't there. It does mean that you should't fear a chronic accumulation from that source, if you control your long-term exposure.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-01-2006, 13:33
Brrrb Oregon,

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that.

sarbar
09-01-2006, 16:07
My buddy Mtnwker showed up for our 6 day hike last month with what appeared to be a freaking pillowcase full of food .. lol! Both mine and my friend Rainy's Ursacks were swallowed by that bag.
Of course he wasn't hungry ever :p Nooooo, more like I was eyeing that bag by day 5. :D

sarbar
09-02-2006, 18:47
My buddy Mtnwker showed up for our 6 day hike last month with what appeared to be a freaking pillowcase full of food .. lol! Both mine and my friend Rainy's Ursacks were swallowed by that bag.
Of course he wasn't hungry ever :p Nooooo, more like I was eyeing that bag by day 5. :D
Now that is just weird...the above was posted to another thread..weird???

Blue Jay
09-03-2006, 00:01
What makes me scratch my head, though, are the people who are lab rats every day at home, popping their Tubberware and Gladwrap-covered leftovers into the microwave without a thought, heating that wrap until it shrinks down all over their food, who then recoil at the idea of saving some pack weight because it involves putting hot water into a Ziploc bag.

If you take freezer-cooked food to lab and compare it for plastics residue to the same food reheated in glass, the difference is probably going to be below the range that you can measure. That doesn't mean it isn't there. It does mean that you should't fear a chronic accumulation from that source, if you control your long-term exposure.

This is exactly correct, and explained much better than I did.