PDA

View Full Version : What size stuff sack for a week's food?

stringbean
09-01-2006, 02:42
Quick question, what size stuff sack should I get for a week's worth of food (2 lbs a day, top ramen, lipton noodles, jar of peanut butter, power bars, etc) and a small cook kit? The last time I went on a backpacking trip was when I was 11 with my dad and uncle. We did 26 miles on the AT and we brought things like steaks and potatos; way too heavy. I've since become an avid dayhiker and although I have been doing my homework, this is one answer I haven't found. Rather than go trial and error I was hoping someone might have some insight for me.

fiddlehead
09-01-2006, 03:19
theres another forum on this right now. heres the link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17089
17" X 8" was my answer on there. It would be the same for a weeks worth although i must say if that week were at the end of a thru, i would need more room than that. Appetites grow. I'd just add a plastic food bag from the supermarket for the extra food for a day or two.

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 08:36
I agree with Fiddlehead. A stuff sack that size should hold a weeks worth of food.

'Slogger

ARambler
09-01-2006, 09:45
Be careful. The last stuff sack I bought quoted the length of the stuff sack completely open. Therefore, a 8X17 sack would only be 13" long when closed (mine has a circular flat bottom.)

I calculate 8X17 is 850 cu in. This seems a little tight, but close. The overflow plastic bag and taking the cook kit out will help. From my experience and other posts, it takes an hour to get 6 days worth of food packed in a 700 cu in bear container. I don't see a problem with an over sized food bag. You don't need the compression like on a clothes bag.

Rambler

Kevin A. Boyce
09-01-2006, 10:14
While I was up in Alaska recently, I used a Equinox Silnylon 8x18inch bag for almost a weeks worth of food and snacks. Plus my 2qt pot, MSR Whisperlite Int stove, cozy and scented stuffs... It was full at the begining of the hike, a lot less at the end of course, but felt that if needed, I could add a few more items with no major problems. I still had enough room to cinch it down very well and hang it if needed, luckily on the trail there were bear boxes I was able to use, and I never needed to use the bear poles that were also there.

One key thing that has always worked well for me, is to repackage your food. This is not always practical or efficient, but when I do, I seem to 'find' more room in my food bag for stuff.

And I also go with Fiddlehead's comment about using an extra shopping bag if needed. I generally carry one or two for garbage and the like, so it is cheap insurance to have one.

general
09-01-2006, 18:36
take the ammount of food you wish to take with you to the store. if they wanna sell you a stuffsack, then they should let you stuff a couple of them to test em' out.

nutlub
09-02-2006, 09:42
We did 26 miles on the AT and we brought things like steaks and potatos.

haha! My dad and I did that sort of stuff too! :D

Anyway, back to you question. I say take a big stuff sack....7x18.

:cool:

Sly
09-02-2006, 10:55
I don't use a food stuff sack, but 2.5 gallon zip lock bags. On the CDT I had 3, one for breakfast, lunch/snacks and dinner, plus I carry things like bagels, bread and potato chips separate. If, and when, I had to bear bag (Yellowstone/Glacier otherwise I always slept with my food) I'd use my sleeping bag stuff sack. I also separated certain food items in smaller zip locks. I like the fact I could see through them, they were separate and kept the lunch/snack bag on the top of my pack.

I have one slide with all my food bags, bagels, potato chips, containers of Kool aid etc piled high in front of my tent during a 9 day stretch.. Ridiculous!