PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

ishi
09-01-2006, 07:51
Hi,
I am planning a 2007 thru hike and am going to be able to depart after January, my question is what is the earliest time to hit the trail. Thanks Tim

StarLyte
09-01-2006, 08:05
Well this should get a million responses. They're not all awake yet ;)

A lot depends on how well you hike in the snow and cold temps.

Warren Doyle (http://www.warrendoyle.com/) has excellent ideas on his website. Jack Tarlin is most knowledgeable, etc...there are many thru hikers that are not even on this site (stubborn old farts).

Thru hikers/Sectioners that have hiked several times are your best resources--Weathercarrot, Stumpknocker, MrsGorp, RockDancer, Sly, Liteshoe, Hammock Hanger etc.. People living close to the AT are too (Lone Wolf, Skyline, Janet Hensley, you Mainers).

Access Trailjournals.com as a resource too. ATC. Attend hikers events: Gathering, Rucks.

If I were thru hiking, there is NO doubt that I would start mid-March only so that I leave room for zero days and doing side trails, and in the event of illness, gear problems. (also, I have asthma so I might need more time).......however, I think I would like to SOBO.

Good luck to you.

SGT Rock
09-01-2006, 08:07
I deleted your repeat of this thread in this forum for you.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze.

Lone Wolf
09-01-2006, 08:33
Hi,
I am planning a 2007 thru hike and am going to be able to depart after January, my question is what is the earliest time to hit the trail. Thanks Tim
Last week of March/first week of April is ideal.

speedy
09-01-2006, 10:28
I've kind of always wondered about this one too. Like I know when everybody leaves that wants "nice" weather, but where do you start running into serious problems? My wintertime knowledge is mostly limited to the very southern sections of the trail. For me I don't see any problems with GA or TN in January. It's not like we have spruce traps down here. I'm just wondering if someone didn't want below say -10 deg at night on a consistent basis what would be the earliest they could leave, and where would they hit these temps if they were moving ~15-20 mi a day? Also is there anything technical or legal that would stop someone? 0 deg in GSMNP without a tent comes to mind, but I can't imagine them being that strict in 0 deg weather. :D speedy

SGT Rock
09-01-2006, 10:36
Well folks have been known to get chased out of the mountains of GA and Tennessee by weather even in March. And there was a problem I think in 96 where the snow was so bad in April or May up around Mt Rogers that some hikers were stranded. So the general wisdom is if you leave before St Patrick's day be prepared for the greater possibility to have to get off the trail for weather a few days.

I think last year Baltimore Jack had a great post about this, I hope he mentions that again, I cannot seem to find it right now.

Gray Blazer
09-01-2006, 10:45
I know it was about 10-15 degrees for 4 nights in a row last March (23-26) in NC Nantahalas. I know because I was out there freezing my FL Crackerhead AZZ off! March 5, 2005 the snow was so deep on Roan you need Snowshoes. Middle of April, the year before that, I had a good snowball fight with one of my Grandsons at Carver's Gap. The year before that I was seeing the buds come out in shirtsleeve weather in mid-march on Cheoh Bald. Be prepared for anything.

HIKER7s
09-01-2006, 10:55
Last week of March/first week of April is ideal.

I agree with LW. "I" wouldnt recommend going any earlier unless youve had experience backpacking in the cold and snow. If you do go earlier than towards the end o March you may not see snow however you may. The odds are you will if you leave earlier.

There are some who go earlier fully aware of what they may get into. If you have never reviewed hiker journals or forums on the subject of what they experienced in the first month of the trail, it would be a great resource for you. Try to get into a journals site where you can compare several years where hikers started at the time you want to start.

Then prepare

Heater
09-01-2006, 11:39
Well folks have been known to get chased out of the mountains of GA and Tennessee by weather even in March. And there was a problem I think in 96 where the snow was so bad in April or May up around Mt Rogers that some hikers were stranded. So the general wisdom is if you leave before St Patrick's day be prepared for the greater possibility to have to get off the trail for weather a few days.

I think last year Baltimore Jack had a great post about this, I hope he mentions that again, I cannot seem to find it right now.

Yeah. it got down to the single digit in march this year. I am bringing a bag and liner to 15 degrees. Will layer in the bag if needed.

I will be experimenting with my new HH Explorer ultralight this winter to see how it works out. (how low can I go) :D

ishi
09-01-2006, 20:22
Thanks for all the great advice. I think this site has more useful info. than all the books and other sites combine. I will probably try for mid Febuary and be prepared for the worst.
Tim

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2006, 20:32
Ishi:

First off, Jack Tarlin's opinion is not "most valuable." It's just another opinion.

As other folks have told you, you can pretty much leave whenever you wish.

As recently as ten years ago, it was rare to start a Northbound thru-hike before 1 March. Now a lot of folks do. The idea, usually, is that this will help them "beat the crowd." However, as more and more folks start earlier each year, all it means is that the "crowd", i.e. the main pack of Northbounders is simply on the Trail earlier each season. If you want to "beat the crowd," you should either hike Southbound, or simply avoid staying at shelters.

For any number of reasons, the vast majority of NOBO's still start between 10 March and 10 April, with absolute "peak" jumpoff time being from the 15th of March to 1 April.

One can certainly start earlier, as long as you realize that you'll have a much greater chance of encountering rough weather; you'll have many abbreviated and shortened hiking days; you'll probably end up spending more time, and more importantly for some, more money, in towns, if you start before the tenth of March.

This will certaunly be the case with a February start, but if you want the Trail pretty much to yourself, or more likely, you have to finish early, like being done in August to get back to school, work, etc., a February start will probably be fine, assuming of course, you're prepared to see some weather.

Personally, I think the best time to start a Northbound thru-hike is in late March or early April, but that's just me.

fiddlehead
09-01-2006, 21:51
about 10 years ago, i took 2 buddies down to springer in Feb. it was about 65 deg. the day they started. About 2 weeks later, they got involved with a cold spell that had them spending a lot of their money on a hotel room for close to a week. Unless you have winter gear, you may not find it pleasurable to be walking, camping, eating, sh1tting, sleeping in snow. up to you of course.
folks have started in Oct already, so, it's never too early (literally)

ishi
09-02-2006, 07:32
I am planning on taking a Marmot 7-15 Degree bag / Bibler winter bivy / coolmax cocoon / Therma rest pro 4 / Eurka tent= under nine pounds so that SHOULD do it. I lost my job after 23 years ( plant shutdown ) and have been planning this trip for a long time but can't get out before January.
One reason I was thinking about an early start is I could finish early and then walk back to Harpers Ferry then take US 70 straight west home to Ohio. That would extend the trip three months and get to enjoy the fall. At least thats what I am thinking, there is so much planning going into the trip I want to take advantage of it while I have the chance and an already out there. I do realize it does not always work the way we planned, might step on the trail and break a leg the second step. Maybe the first.;-)

Topcat
09-02-2006, 08:51
ishi,
You should check out some of the trail journals of people who left Jan 1 on trailjournals.com. JAWS and Hydro from last year come to mind. It may give you an idea of the challenges you will face on such an excursion.

StarLyte
09-02-2006, 08:58
Jack writes:
"First off, Jack Tarlin's opinion is not "most valuable." It's just another opinion."
---Don't believe that crap. His opinion is valuable. He must be having a shy day.

As I mentioned before, my suggestion to you is to meet some of the hikers on this list. Inspiration.

Come to the Gathering.

www.ALDHA.org

Sly
09-02-2006, 09:34
As long as you're prepared (clothes, gear, downtime), enjoy your early start, nothing is prettier than a fresh covering of snow.