PDA

View Full Version : how many days to hike from gorham to kinsman notch

neo
09-01-2006, 10:59
i have averaged 20 to 25 miles a day most of the 1700 miles i have hiked on the AT.I will be hiking from gorham to kinsman notch aprox.91 miles is 7 to 8 days enough time to do it,that would be 13 to 11 miles per day.:cool: neo

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 11:11
From my experience I think your estimate of 8 days is close but iIf it was me I would allow 9 - 10 days. Despite your mileage averages on the rest of the AT you will most likely not be able to accomplish more than 10 -12 miles a day unless you are willing to hike excessively long days and stealth camp rather than hiking from Hut to Hut.

Besides ...the Whites are majestic. Why rush through them, unless you have a deadline you didn't mention in your post.

'Slogger

neo
09-01-2006, 11:19
From my experience I think your estimate of 8 days is close but iIf it was me I would allow 9 - 10 days. Despite your mileage averages on the rest of the AT you will most likely not be able to accomplish more than 10 -12 miles a day unless you are willing to hike excessively long days and stealth camp rather than hiking from Hut to Hut.

Besides ...the Whites are majestic. Why rush through them, unless you have a deadline you didn't mention in your post.

'Slogger

i only have 8 days to do it,then i got to catch a bus from lincoln nh to manchester vt,i will then fill in the gap from manchester vt to dalton ma
i have 5 days to do this,i will stealth all the way,no huts:cool: neo

The Old Fhart
09-01-2006, 12:15
Neo-"i have averaged 20 to 25 miles a day most of the 1700 miles i have hiked on the AT.I will be hiking from gorham to kinsman notch aprox.91 miles is 7 to 8 days enough time to do it,that would be 13 to 11 miles per day."
Neo, I met you going northbound somewhere between Pearisburg and Damascus as I was doing a section south in 2001. That day I believe you were doing about 30 miles. We also met you at a picnic area in Shenandoah when we were were doing trail magic in 2002 (we let you use a cell phone to make a call) and you were doing a big day then as well.

Based on what I saw I'd say you can do it without any problem as long as the weather cooperates. You will be carrying more gear than when we saw you down south so that will slow you down some. If you aren't carrying a radio to get the weather, stop and check it at the huts, they get updated every morning about 7ish. Good luck.

Sly
09-01-2006, 12:38
It seemed to me 11-13 miles a day through the Whites was a good day for the average *in-shape* thru-hiker used to doing 15-20. If you can't make Kinsman Notch you could always bail at Franconia Notch.

Make sure to take some vitamin I with you, your knees will most likely need it.

MOWGLI
09-01-2006, 12:55
When I walked over Moosilauke in 2000 (from the hostel in Glencliff) I thought I was doing great. I hit Kinsman Notch, and saw the sign that said shelter in about 6 miles. I looked at my watch - which said 4 PM. No problem - right?

I arrived at the shelter as the sun was setting around 8:45. That was one TOUGH stretch! I also took the hardest fall of the hike that afternoon. I stepped on a log waterbar. Next thing I knew I was seeing birdies circling around my head as I lay flat in the middle of the trail.

Funny thing is - somewhere between Kinsman Notch and Eliza Brook Shelter - I met a group of Boy Scouts. When I told them where I was going - the leader said (with a look of horror on his face) "YOU'LL NEVER MAKE IT. WE LEFT THERE THIS MORNING." It was 7 PM. That was all the motivation I needed.

neo
09-01-2006, 14:49
Neo, I met you going northbound somewhere between Pearisburg and Damascus as I was doing a section south in 2001. That day I believe you were doing about 30 miles. We also met you at a picnic area in Shenandoah when we were were doing trail magic in 2002 (we let you use a cell phone to make a call) and you were doing a big day then as well.

Based on what I saw I'd say you can do it without any problem as long as the weather cooperates. You will be carrying more gear than when we saw you down south so that will slow you down some. If you aren't carrying a radio to get the weather, stop and check it at the huts, they get updated every morning about 7ish. Good luck.

:) no,i was talking to model t on my cell phone and i let you guys talk on my cell phone to say hi to model t,i met you,walking home and weather carrot
in may 2002,you guys are great,thanks again for your trail magic,i did a 30 miler that day also:cool: neo

neo
09-01-2006, 14:51
:) no,i was talking to model t on my cell phone and i let you guys talk on my cell phone to say hi to model t,i met you,walking home and weather carrot
in may 2002,you guys are great,thanks again for your trail magic,i did a 30 miler that day also:cool: neo

i have my cast weather program on my cell phone with forcast live dopplar radar,it rocks:cool: neo

neo
09-01-2006, 14:52
It seemed to me 11-13 miles a day through the Whites was a good day for the average *in-shape* thru-hiker used to doing 15-20. If you can't make Kinsman Notch you could always bail at Franconia Notch.

i am locked and loaded with vitamin I,:cool: NEO

neo
09-01-2006, 14:57

:D i came to hike,not bail:cool: neo

neo
09-01-2006, 15:02
i have 8 days to hike from gorham to kinsman notch,going to try to do it in 6 days.maybe 5 days this is my plan.
1. i will start every morning at 6:30am
2.i will stealth hammock camp,no huts,no camp sites
3.i will night hike only if below 5000 ft.
4.being the real neo,and working to matrix works wonders.:cool: neo

ps.the guy in the movie is a fake:cool: neo

emerald
09-01-2006, 16:45
i came to hike, not bail.

I like your attitude. Go for it, neo.:cool: :rolleyes: :) ;)

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 16:49
============================

You GO Neo !!

Kinda reminds me of a line in the old movie "They Live"

" ...I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick a$$ ...and I'm all out of bubblegum !! "

'Slogger

speedy
09-01-2006, 17:22

Awesome quote! Definitly going in my sig. :D speedy

Sly
09-01-2006, 17:30

Yeah I realize that.

There are a number of reasons why you may not be able to make it to Kinsman Notch, just offering an alternative. It's always wise to have options.

neo
09-01-2006, 22:16
i am going with my jetboil/camo cozy

http://www.jetboil.com/

and my 9x9 guide gear camo tarp
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

sportsmans guide hammock/no netting
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=259631

:D hammock thru the whites challenge:cool: neo

Tin Man
09-01-2006, 23:39
Neo Rocks! :cool:

I am planning a couple of 12-13 mile days along with a couple of shorter days from Hanover to Kinsman this year and 7-8 mile days from Kinsman to Crawford next year. Gotta stop and smell the roses. ;)

illusionistG
09-01-2006, 23:42
If weather is good you should be able to make it in 8-10 days.
Day 1: Gorham - Carter Hut area (
Day 2: Carter Hut area - Osgood tentsite
Day 3:

illusionistG
09-01-2006, 23:49
Oops...sorry Here is a dry run schedule......

Day 1: Gorham - Carter Hut area
Day 3: Osgood - Lake of the Clouds
Day 4: Lake of the Clouds - Zealand Area (or try to get to Galehead tentsite)
Day 5: Zealand area - Liberty Springs
Day 6: Liberty Springs - Kinsman Pond tentsite
Day 7: Kinsman Pond Tentsite - Kinsman Notch
**this schedule allows a day of flexability if weather turns for the worse

Weather on Mt. Washington yesterday was 38F

Kinsman Notch and the ascent up Madison will take time due to the steepness and rocks.
Best of luck
<!-- / message -->

neo
09-05-2006, 11:48
Oops...sorry Here is a dry run schedule......

Day 1: Gorham - Carter Hut area
Day 3: Osgood - Lake of the Clouds
Day 4: Lake of the Clouds - Zealand Area (or try to get to Galehead tentsite)
Day 5: Zealand area - Liberty Springs
Day 6: Liberty Springs - Kinsman Pond tentsite
Day 7: Kinsman Pond Tentsite - Kinsman Notch
**this schedule allows a day of flexability if weather turns for the worse

Weather on Mt. Washington yesterday was 38F

Kinsman Notch and the ascent up Madison will take time due to the steepness and rocks.
Best of luck
<!-- / message -->

sounds like a good plan to me:cool: neo

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2006, 15:21
I'd add a day at least to this.....Gorham to Carter on your first day out would be a healthy 13 miles and change; also Carter to Osgood is only around 11 miles, but it's a VERY solid 11, especially the climb outta Pinkham to Osgood.

Keep in mind other camping possibilities off the A.T. such as Grey Knob, Crag Camp, and especially, the Perch.

Sly
09-05-2006, 17:24
I'd add a day at least to this.....Gorham to Carter on your first day out would be a healthy 13 miles and change; also Carter to Osgood is only around 11 miles, but it's a VERY solid 11, especially the climb outta Pinkham to Osgood.

Keep in mind other camping possibilities off the A.T. such as Grey Knob, Crag Camp, and especially, the Perch.

14.8 acording to the Companion. I also thought I saw a 17 mile day in there and a 5 or 7. The Whites is tough, especially if you plan on camping to stay consistant.

Peaks
09-05-2006, 19:46
A general rule of thumb for the Whites is to take your average daily mileage and then divide by two.

I've been mostly northbound, but I'd have to say that Route 2 to Carter is a very long day. Likewise, Lakes to Zealand is another very long day, as is Zealand to Liberty Springs, and Kinsman Pond to Kinsman Notch.

Like Jack says, allow at least one additional day. Possibly more. (and hope for good weather.)

Sly
09-05-2006, 21:46
Like Jack says, allow at least one additional day. Possibly more. (and hope for good weather.)

He came to hike, not bail. Of course attitudes like that get people killed.

ARambler
09-06-2006, 00:09
I like the proposed schedule. As Jack says, get an early start going from Rt 2 to Carter. This sounds like a mail drop is requred at the AMC Lodge in Pinkham. Do you really want 7 days of food on your knees coming off Wildcat??

Pushing from Osgood to the tent sites at Mizpah will make the rest of the schedule a snap.

If you are trying to do this in late September, Good Luck. You will need lots of extra cloths, a headlamp, and maybe a bucket for bailing.
Rambler