PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker Needing Words of Wisdom

BoyJame
09-01-2006, 12:07
Hi. I am a new hiker and have fallen in love with the AT. I live within a 8-10 minute drive of the AT in central PA. I have gone on a handful of day hikes (well not really day hikes but 2-4 hour hikes). I don't have any gear except for a pair of hiking boots. I want to work my way up. I may never do a thru hike but hopefully over the years I can manage to section hike my way to the whole thing.

I need suggestions on good day hikes in PA or MD and maybe even a 2 day hike suggestion. I'd also like any feedback on anything else to get started. I'm not necessarily in a rush to go on longer hikes but by 2007, I would like to do a 3 day hike or longer.

Thanks all! I've really enjoyed reading all about your adventures on the AT. :)

bigcranky
09-01-2006, 12:13
Congratulations. Be careful, though -- the AT can become something of an obsession. Just ask anybody around this site. Also, realize that many of us are insanely jealous that you live only 10 minutes from the Trail.

Here on Whiteblaze you can find a ton of information about gear and technique for hiking the AT. Just poke around a bit and ask lots of questions. For now, just keep doing those hikes, and enjoy them. As the weather gets cooler, you'll want to add a small daypack so you can carry some extra clothes and some food, and maybe add some of the 'ten essentials' (google it, or search the site). You also might want to join a local hiking or trail club, which will have regular dayhikes and backpacking trips where you can learn firsthand from the other members.

Welcome, and happy trails.

TOW
09-01-2006, 17:12
Here's my first words of wisdom, change your trail name right now! BoyJame? I usually charge for this service, but for you being a beginner and all, I'll trail name you for free. All you got to do is come down here to Damascus and buy Lone Wolf a case of beer and when he gets good and sloshed him and I will be both in the spirit to pick you apart and really trail name you.......

Let's see, where is my right handed Leki walking stick? I'll need it to really whack you on your left shoulder so that I can knight you as well........

Sly
09-01-2006, 17:54
There's lot of good hiking in PA and MD. It's probably best if you go to the ATC store and get yourself some maps and a guidebook.

http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=65&compid=1&pcatid=45

general
09-01-2006, 18:20
get some way to play music directly into your ears. it gets to your brain quicker that way.

Amigi'sLastStand
09-01-2006, 18:55
Welcome to the addiction.

1) New name needed
2) Buy yourself a day pack, a bladder hydration system or some Nalgene bottles, a stove, first aid kit, compass, small knife, etc. and do a short 4-6 hour hike. You can buy some food, and spend some time on the trail. Cook yourself a meal while out so you get the gist of that part of overnight hiking.
3) Read WB for all of the good advice there is here. Pay attention to a guy named SGTRock. His advice is very good and accurate.
4) Dont eat the yellow snow
5) Steaming dirt isnt steaming dirt
6) And always be thankful and respectful of the Trail

Welcome to Whiteblaze, we are all addicted hikers so you may have found a home if you cant shake the habit.

Farr Away
09-01-2006, 19:47
I'm going to go out on a limb here, and (partially) disagree with Amigi! :eek:
Part of the reason I'm out on a limb is 'cause I'm also a newbie backpacker.

When I started a couple months ago, I bought a pack and a hammock. The rest of my gear I 'dirtbagged', including making a cat stove and copying SGTRock's lemonade jar. About a month later, I added a hydration system and a Leatherman micra. Etc., etc.

When I was first starting, the money for gear was adding up way faster than I was comfortable with, so I started with the two items I figured I needed and improvised the rest. Now, of course, I've got the gear-making bug! (Sleeping bag that would take up less space in my pack was my last project; my next projects are snakeskins, JustJeff's packcover, and pouches for my waistbelt.)

I also second checking out SGTRock's advice (http://www.hikinghq.net/). Learned a lot.

Just Jeff
09-01-2006, 20:07
First words of wisdom - search this forum for more words of wisdom. There's actually a thread called "Words of Wisdom". Newbies ask the same questions each season, so there's probably already a thread that answers any question you can think of. But most people here like talking about this stuff anyway - whether it's gear or where to hike or funny stories - so never be afraid to ask a question here.

Next - Go light...but only as light as you feel comfortable with. Spend the money on the best sleeping bag you can afford - that'll have the biggest payoff. (Better yet, make your own.) No reason to carry a 4 lbs bag unless it's around zero. Next important is pack and shelter. No reason for a 5 lbs solo tent, either. Most of the rest is just details.

Next - look at making your own gear. Sewing is very simple (even if you're a guy). You can make a good quality quilt for $100 that'll keep you as warm as a $250 bag. And stuff sacks are about $1 and 10 minutes, plus you get to customize them for size, shape and color - why pay $15 in the store? It's just a bag for crying out loud! If you're interested in this, just ask - plenty of help here. Biggest downside - after your first project you won't be able to sleep b/c the designs will be swimming in your head at night.

Last - after each overnight trip, put your gear into three piles. What you used every day, what you never used, and what you used once or twice.
Take only the first pile (except for emergency gear, first aid, etc). Once you get your whole overnight pack to the teens or lower for a trip or two, start adding back in whatever luxuries you still want to take...by then you'll know the difference between "need" and "want".

ed bell
09-01-2006, 20:31
Hi. I am a new hiker and have fallen in love with the AT. I live within a 8-10 minute drive of the AT in central PA. I would recommend getting very familliar with your local road atlas and AT Trail Maps. Since you are so close to the trail, you will be able to "hike home" so to speak on longer treks. Map skills will open up all sorts of options for you. Find the closest road access points other than your closest access. Branch out from there.:sun

BoyJame
09-01-2006, 21:45
I never said BoyJame was my trail name. I simply used it for this forum. I don't think I've experienced the AT enough to have a trail name. But thanks for the offer. I think more time on the trail will bring about the right trail name.

ed bell
09-01-2006, 21:56
I never said BoyJame was my trail name. I simply used it for this forum. I don't think I've experienced the AT enough to have a trail name. But thanks for the offer. I think more time on the trail will bring about the right trail name.Don't worry bout it. Just some people giving advice about things that don't matter. I mean hell, do you think he is the ONLY Wanderer? And what the hell is an amigi, anyway?;) Welcome to Whiteblaze.:welcome

speedy
09-01-2006, 21:57
First off, no matter how much I gripe about overcrowding, I'm always glad to have new people on the trail. (weird I know) If you can live with "boyjame" than so can I. I don't reccommend "creating" a trail name. It's one of those things that should just happen along the way. There's nothing wrong with using your real name on the trail. I did it for years before "speedy" finally stuck.

I agree with most of Amigi's advice. I think the general idea of what he was saying is do as much overnight type stuff as you can on a day hike. As long as it's not freezing cold, there's nothing wrong with alcohol stoves and they're a great way to get started. If you're really handy and have the tools/time, check out Sgt Rock's original Ion Stove. (http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/ion_stove1.html) I've made most every alcohol stove on here, (litterally dozens) and that is my favorite by far. If you just want to buy one, I definitely recommend the MSR pocketrocket (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=6075762&parent_category_rn=4500453&vcat=REI_SEARCH). It's on sale there through Monday. 1 small cannister is around $2.50 and will last you about 45 mins of boil time. It's an ounce or two heavier than the alcohol stoves will be, but infinitely more flexible.

If you're like me and have more time than money, forums like this can be a great place to pick up slightly used gear.

One thing definitely worth investing in if you haven't done so already is trekking poles. Those are the only thing I will not go backpacking without. I personally use these (http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek-Trekking-Poles.html) and think they're worth every last penny, but I do realize the price is really steep. If you think you're gonna keep hiking those are definitly worth it. If you aren't sure, ones from walmart or target or the like will get you by til you're ready to make such a large financial commitment. (Lest you think of me as some hiking spend thrift, I have less than $400 in everything I take regularly, clothing and shoes included. Meaning those were roughly 1/4 of my total cost.)

Making gear is an option. Sewing really isn't that hard after your first few projects. You can check thrift stores and local sewing shops for used machines for cheap. Ebay usually has some Viking/Husqvarna Classica machines for ~$30 shipped that'll pay for itself in no time. You can get the instructions online and build a G4 backpack for less than $30.

As for the maps, I haven't searched for PA maps for obvious reasons, but if there's half as many as GA, you should be able to find plenty online. If you become a donating member here, ($10) you can download a 90 page word doc with tons of info. (not to mention a custom avatar and that warm fuzzy feeling that you did the right thing) Here's a link to ALDHA's pdf booklet (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm). Mapdanas (http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/index.php?cPath=1)are great too.

Two more links worth checking out are Sarbar's website (http://freezerbagcooking.com/) (the only way to "cook" on the trail) and this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39) (especially sgt. rock's first post). As always, HYOH. :D speedy

fiddlehead
09-01-2006, 22:15
Just go for a walk. Raingear is about all you need for a day hike. The trail is well marked. Trekking poles are not necessary. Take all advice with a grain of salt and go out and hike and meet other hikers. YOu can make almost all of your own gear, or find it in thrift shops. Hiking is one of the cheapest hobbies (or lifestyles, depending on how much you like it) out there.
The snakes won't bite, the water is usually safe (as long as it's coming out of the ground), you won't get lost (especially in PA), the bears will leave you alone. have fun.

TOW
09-01-2006, 22:49

I knew I should not have eaten that yellow snow up in Vermont, but all the other hikers I was with was a doing it. Then after that we came upon this bridge and they all decided to jump off the thing, but not me, I was too smart for that..........

TOW
09-01-2006, 22:54
Don't worry bout it. Just some people giving advice about things that don't matter. I mean hell, do you think he is the ONLY Wanderer? And what the hell is an amigi, anyway?;) Welcome to Whiteblaze.:welcomeListen to Ed, and by the way I am "The Only Wanderer," there are no others.....I'm curious, what is an Amigi anyway?

ed bell
09-01-2006, 23:12
... by the way I am "The Only Wanderer," there are no others..... He is right about that!:)

Amigi'sLastStand
09-01-2006, 23:13
Don't worry bout it. Just some people giving advice about things that don't matter. I mean hell, do you think he is the ONLY Wanderer? And what the hell is an amigi, anyway?;) Welcome to Whiteblaze.:welcome
What the hell is an ed bell? Is it related to the tabasco or chili pepper? Like green bell or red bell?:rolleyes: :D

Just get out and practice. Hiking is seriously addictive BJ. Good ideas on making your own gear, also. Most of us do it, and more than just a way to save money....it's....more natural ( cant come up with words ). And like Jeff said, just search this site. If it has to do with hiking, it's here somewhere.

ed bell
09-02-2006, 00:06
What the hell is an ed bell? Is it related to the tabasco or chili pepper? Like green bell or red bell?:rolleyes: :D
Actually, you are real close to how I got my ID here. Caller ID (when I had a landline phone) used to display ED BELL when I called people. Our backpacking group was a large, loose knit, dedicated bunch who always traded phone #'s to keep each other up to date with the latest backpacking plans. I called someone in the group about an upcoming trip, and he remarked "who the hell is ED BELL?" It stuck. There you go. Still scratchin my head about an amigi. Don't worry though, I'm not gonna tell you to find a new name.;)

Tha Wookie
09-02-2006, 00:10
"After face to face with bear, check for stinky britches"

StarLyte
09-02-2006, 00:32
Actually, you are real close to how I got my ID here. Caller ID (when I had a landline phone) used to display ED BELL when I called people. Our backpacking group was a large, loose knit, dedicated bunch who always traded phone #'s to keep each other up to date with the latest backpacking plans. I called someone in the group about an upcoming trip, and he remarked "who the hell is ED BELL?" It stuck. There you go. Still scratchin my head about an amigi. Don't worry though, I'm not gonna tell you to find a new name.;)

You have got to be kidding!!?? That's insane Ed! ha ha ha

BoyJame - welcome to a beautiful world......and it gets better. Just put on your hiking boots and take a walk, if only for a day......breath in the air, and listen to the dew falling on the leaves.....the bark cracking off the trees, and the rustlings of small creatures in the leaves........stop every so often and absorb your surroundings......love it..... respect it.....and come back to it as often as you can.......keep it our little secret too.

ed bell
09-02-2006, 00:37
You have got to be kidding!!?? That's insane Ed! ha ha haNo joke. My name is Eric.:sunI kinda like Ed, though.

Big Dawg
09-02-2006, 06:55
:welcome to WhiteBlaze, BoyJame!

Lobo
09-02-2006, 08:51
Go to Park City in Lancaster to the Eastern Mountain Sports store and buy the Appalachian Trail in Pennsylvania map, sections 7 & 8, Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap. This section covers 34 miles and has 3 shelters. While you are there, you can talk to Moleman, a thru-hiker who finished this year.

Or you could probably get maps at Wildware Backcountry in Harrisburg, 564-8008 or Wildware Outfitters in Mechanisburg, 591-0532.

Also you can download information about the section of the Trail that you want to hike from the ALDHA site from the Applachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion.

BoyJame
09-02-2006, 11:20
Thanks for all the incredible feedback. It's a lot to take in. I have been searching this site and others to try and absorb as much info. as possible. I know I am hooked and will be for a lifetime so I am not in a rush to do long or extended hikes just yet. Money is an issue so I will have to take my time.

I did get maps of PA and the trail guide for PA. That has been part of what fascinates me. I love maps. My wife calls me crazy cuz I can stare at a map for what seems like hours. And I have been on 4-5 semi-day hikes. The smell, fresh air, wild life, and serenity have been amazing. And to think that the few miles I have hiked in PA are nothing comapared to the Smokies, or Shenendoah, or the Whites. The weird thing is, I grew up in New England and never really heard much about the AT.

But what really strikes me is how are so many people (estimated 2-3000 people annually start a thru hike even though only 20% finish) able to do a thru hike? What do these people do for a living that they cam take 6 months off? I would love to do that but there's no feasible way to do so.

ed bell
09-02-2006, 11:50
I did get maps of PA and the trail guide for PA. That has been part of what fascinates me. I love maps. My wife calls me crazy cuz I can stare at a map for what seems like hours. And I have been on 4-5 semi-day hikes. The smell, fresh air, wild life, and serenity have been amazing. And to think that the few miles I have hiked in PA are nothing comapared to the Smokies, or Shenendoah, or the Whites. The weird thing is, I grew up in New England and never really heard much about the AT.

Well, loving maps is a great way to get started. They will help with all sorts of planning for hikes of any distance. Good luck to you.:sun

sliderule
09-02-2006, 13:13
Welcome to the addiction.

1) New name needed
2) Buy yourself a day pack, a bladder hydration system or some Nalgene bottles, a stove, first aid kit, compass, small knife, etc. and do a short 4-6 hour hike. You can buy some food, and spend some time on the trail. Cook yourself a meal while out so you get the gist of that part of overnight hiking.
3) Read WB for all of the good advice there is here. Pay attention to a guy named SGTRock. His advice is very good and accurate.
5) Steaming dirt isnt steaming dirt
6) And always be thankful and respectful of the Trail

Welcome to Whiteblaze, we are all addicted hikers so you may have found a home if you cant shake the habit.

And one more thing, BJ. Don't attempt to buy or sell anything on Whiteblaze without first checking with Amigi. He is very sensitive about who buys and sells here and for what price. And if you are looking for gear at a great price, ask Amigi to pick it up for you at his local Army/Navy store.

Trillium
09-02-2006, 20:38
But what really strikes me is how are so many people (estimated 2-3000 people annually start a thru hike even though only 20% finish) able to do a thru hike? What do these people do for a living that they cam take 6 months off? I would love to do that but there's no feasible way to do so.I have been wondering this myself. I have also recently been bitten by the AT bug and would LOVE to be able to do a long hike but that may only happen if I win the lottery. guess that means I'll have to start buying tickets. :-?