PDA

View Full Version : how much of the AT is above treeline in the whites

neo
09-01-2006, 21:12
how much of the AT is above treeline between gorham and kinsmans notch:cool: neo

fiddlehead
09-01-2006, 21:35
Well, this if from memory: travelling SOBO:
from Madison hut to just past Eisenhower which is the longest stretch and has lake of the crowds in the middle as well as mt. washington. (called the presidential range) The trail may dip into the trees a few times in the next 10 miles or so but basically it's above treeline. You have Edmonds Col (spring), Mt. Washington (store,PO, water, movies, road) and Lake of the Crowds (huge hotel with a dungeon which i believe is no longer available for thru-hikers unless you book it in advance)
then you have the lafayette stretch (franconia ridge) which is much shorter. (i'm guessing it's about 5 miles above treeline???)
Mt. Moosilauke is also above treeline but actually there is Krumholz up there so it's probably technically not.
Of course on a good day, these places will be spetacular. But good days are the rarity up there and i've seen ryme ice in August as well as white outs. (and of course the wind, lots of wind)
have fun.

hiker33
09-01-2006, 21:36
The two main areas are Franconia Ridge, from above Liberty Springs Campsite to Mount Garfield, and the Presidentials, from north of Mizpah Hut to Mount Madison. Other summits have smaller areas above treeline such as the Kinsmans, South Twin, and Mount Guyot. From Pinkham Notch to Gorham there's very little area above treeline.

These open areas make for magnificent views. I've been in North Carolina for almost 9 years and I still miss day hiking in the Whites on weekends.

ed bell
09-01-2006, 21:42
how much of the AT is above treeline between gorham and kinsmans notch:cool: neoDo you get a bit anxious when the hammocking prospects look bleak?;) Hope you have a great trip neo.:cool:

neo
09-01-2006, 22:17
Do you get a bit anxious when the hammocking prospects look bleak?;) Hope you have a great trip neo.:cool:

:D hammocking thru the whites challenge:cool: neo

ed bell
09-01-2006, 22:20
:D hammocking thru the whites challenge:cool: neoActually, I never doubted ya neo.:)

Sly
09-01-2006, 22:23
I think there's 26 miles of above treeline hiking through the Whites.

fiddlehead
09-03-2006, 03:03
Is it all contiguous?

If not, what are the longest stretches of above treeline?

presidentials and franconia in that order.