PDA

View Full Version : Platypus does not use 1/4 inch diameter hose.

Earl Grey
09-01-2006, 21:47
The hydration hose platypus uses is NOT the diameter of katadyn water filter hoses so you cannot connect the two with quick connect fittings. The water filter uses 1/4 inch inside diameter hosing and the platypus uses something different. I was about to cut the hose to attach the quick fitting then I noticed the hose looked bigger and sure enough it was. As it is now I have to take the bladder out of the pack to fill and then put back in. I wish I would have known this before buying the platypus because it will be a hassle to have to do that every single time I need to get water. Are there any bladders that use a 1/4 inch hose?

Alligator
09-01-2006, 21:53
Platupus makes a screw-on adapter that fits into the end of the filter hose. I have one for my Pur Hiker which is now marketed as the Katadyn Hiker.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=61558&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Earl Grey
09-01-2006, 22:05
Platupus makes a screw-on adapter that fits into the end of the filter hose. I have one for my Pur Hiker which is now marketed as the Katadyn Hiker.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=61558&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Yes I saw that BUT since you have to invert the bladder to drink from it I would still have to pull the whole thing out to connect this fitting. With the way I wanted to do it I wouldnt ever have to take it out of the pack at all.

Alligator
09-01-2006, 22:10
What was the plan for the quick connect, a T in the bladder line?

speedy
09-01-2006, 22:16
That's odd, I just took a calliper to my plat hose and it's exactly 1/4"ID. Anyway, I have a katadyn mini filter that didn't fit it and didn't want to keep digging my bladder out each time as well, so here's what I did. Go to (insert homecenter of choice here) with your filter and plat hose. Find some clear tubing that will adapt from one to the other. It may take several different sizes, but you should be able to shove on inside the other til you find some combination that you can make fit. If the fit isn't very snug, you can use some sandpaper to scuff up the tubing and some 5 min epoxy to hold the pieces together. Hope this helps. :D speedy

edit: Alligator, I can't believe you'd while I was typing. How rude! :) The quick connect is so you can just slip the bite-valve off the hose and plug your filter into the end without having to take the bladder out of the bag. Not to mention you don't have to hold the bladder and pump wile you're pumping.

Alligator
09-01-2006, 22:50
That's odd, I just took a calliper to my plat hose and it's exactly 1/4"ID. Anyway, I have a katadyn mini filter that didn't fit it and didn't want to keep digging my bladder out each time as well, so here's what I did. Go to (insert homecenter of choice here) with your filter and plat hose. Find some clear tubing that will adapt from one to the other. It may take several different sizes, but you should be able to shove on inside the other til you find some combination that you can make fit. If the fit isn't very snug, you can use some sandpaper to scuff up the tubing and some 5 min epoxy to hold the pieces together. Hope this helps. :D speedy

edit: Alligator, I can't believe you'd while I was typing. How rude! :) The quick connect is so you can just slip the bite-valve off the hose and plug your filter into the end without having to take the bladder out of the bag. Not to mention you don't have to hold the bladder and pump wile you're pumping.I get what it's for Speedy, what I completely missed was that he was going to use two with one on the bite valve:o .

BTW, I disconnected my bite valve and the platypus hose fits right on the out nipple on my Hiker. The outside diameter looks a wee bit smaller on the filter but I don't have a caliper.

speedy
09-01-2006, 23:18
I get what it's for Speedy, what I completely missed was that he was going to use two with one on the bite valve:o .

sry, my bad. :o Misread it I guess. :D speedy

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 23:22
[quote=blackmath]The hydration hose platypus uses is NOT the diameter of katadyn water filter hoses so you cannot connect the two with quick connect fittings. The water filter uses 1/4 inch inside diameter hosing and the platypus uses something different.
=================================

How true !! I have never been a big fan of the Platy hoses and bite valves and wanted to substitute my Camelback hose/bit valve and found that it wouldn't slip on very easily. I heated the blue Camelback hose under hot water and was able to get it onto the Platy cap, but not without a lot of twisting and pushing.

'Slogger

Alligator
09-01-2006, 23:50
sry, my bad. :o Misread it I guess. :D speedyIt's all right, I think you solved a problem I was having on my wort chiller:) .

ed bell
09-02-2006, 00:33
It's all right, I think you solved a problem I was having on my wort chiller:) .mmmmmm homebrew:D

Earl Grey
09-02-2006, 22:26
I think im just gonna get something else that uses a 1/4 inch hose and just use the platy as a camp filler. I was looking at the camelbak unbottle as a possible solution. Anyone have this?

Earl Grey
09-06-2006, 17:29
I sent off an email to the Camelbak staff asking about their unbottle product diamter hose. I asked if it was 1/4 inch and he said it was but when I looked at it in the store it didnt look the same as the water filter.

Thank you for contacting CamelBak. The Unbottle uses standard Camelbak tubing. The inside diameter measures 1/4''. If you need further assistance, please let me know.

This was the reply. Im hesitant to buy one and it not work.

hikerjohnd
09-06-2006, 17:49
Get a quick connect similar to this one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12314&catid=member&imageuser=4507). The company makes a variety of sizes and options - finding a dealer is, however, proving to be a bit more of a challenge.

Earl Grey
09-06-2006, 18:13
Get a quick connect similar to this one (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12314&catid=member&imageuser=4507). The company makes a variety of sizes and options - finding a dealer is, however, proving to be a bit more of a challenge.

Thats exactly what came with the water filter. Those exact same quick connects. Theyre made by a company called Colder http://www.colder.com/asp_Main/Default.asp

In that picture, are those quick connects from a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter?

hikerjohnd
09-06-2006, 18:44
In that picture, are those quick connects from a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter?

No - I bought a Hiker (before the Pro model came out) and needed a way to fill my bladder without removing it from my pack. After a bit of shopping around I came across that coupling - but I can not for the life of me remember where it came from. I'd love to get a couple more and have contacted CPC about it, but they have been less than helpful. If that quick connect came with your filter, maybe Katadyn can supply more...

hikerjohnd
09-06-2006, 18:47
This (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1425632) may work with a platty tube...

Earl Grey
09-06-2006, 19:24
I decided just to go ahead and get a camelbak omega 100oz bladder. This tube does use the 1/4inch diameter so everything is good now.

Platypus engineers if youre listening whyd you make me waste $20 on a non-compliant product? Now your bladder is going to be regulated to a camp reservoir.

SouthMark
09-07-2006, 09:18
I have a Sweetwater filter and its hose fits nicely inside my Platypus hose with the bite valve removed to fill without removing it from my pack.

greentick
09-07-2006, 09:30
I decided just to go ahead and get a camelbak omega 100oz bladder. This tube does use the 1/4inch diameter so everything is good now....

I didn't cut any part of the tube for my camelback. I have that same 100oz bladder. I just twist the mouth piece of and plug in one of the disconnects. I figure if the tube starts getting lax (hasn't yet) I would just trim off 1/4" and go from there. But I rigged the fittings on the filter a bit different too. That way when I am filtering for my group they can just take off the bite valve and we are hooked up. With the hiker pro filter you can count your pumps to know how much you are putting into the bladder.

Earl Grey
09-07-2006, 10:17
I didn't cut any part of the tube for my camelback. I have that same 100oz bladder. I just twist the mouth piece of and plug in one of the disconnects. I figure if the tube starts getting lax (hasn't yet) I would just trim off 1/4" and go from there. But I rigged the fittings on the filter a bit different too. That way when I am filtering for my group they can just take off the bite valve and we are hooked up. With the hiker pro filter you can count your pumps to know how much you are putting into the bladder.

I just cut the camelbak hose about 4 inches from the bite valve. Then I connected the quick connect fittings to each end of the cut tubing. Then you can just disconnect them and connect the white fitting straight into it. I thought about doing it your way but that bite valve is hard to get back on sometimes especially if your hands are wet. Also you can just put that 4 inches of tubing in your pocket while youre filling. At camp you can disconnect the tubing again and push on the bladder to force water out if needed.