PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Contrail

Franco
09-03-2006, 00:15
Hi everyone,
It is my pleasure to present the latest and greatest from Henry Shires, the new TarpTent Contrail.
Here is the preview
http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html
Henry will be away for a couple of weeks , so likely he will not reply during that time.
Franco

mrc237
09-03-2006, 09:00
Looks like Henry out did himself!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-03-2006, 09:40
Looks like the old Kelty one-stick (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39199066) with a front entry and no fly. I've heard that model has stablity problems in wind. Any idea how this tent does in the wind?

Edited to add - I knew something about the Contrail looked really familiar - the Six Moons Gatewood cape (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45#) without the hood and with a front entry, bug net and a floor.

workboot
09-03-2006, 10:35
How soon before these are in stock ? Anyone know?

Just Jeff
09-03-2006, 12:27
The GC and One-Stick look very similar. The Contrail has more in common with HS's other products than with those two, IMO.

hshires
09-03-2006, 13:08
Looks like the old Kelty one-stick (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39199066) with a front entry and no fly. I've heard that model has stablity problems in wind. Any idea how this tent does in the wind?

Edited to add - I knew something about the Contrail looked really familiar - the Six Moons Gatewood cape (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45#) without the hood and with a front entry, bug net and a floor.

I haven't tested the Kelty stick thing so I can't say how it performs for sure but it definitely has some weird asymmetric tensioning which is always asking for wind trouble. The Contrail has much, much better symmetries and wind performance in my opinion is quite good. If you get in a really big blow, you can drop the rear struts, guy out the side pullouts, and the thing is near bomber.

As for the Gatewood comparison, look carefully again at the Contrail and you'll see that the design is really quite different. The front end of the Contrail is supported by two swept "wings" and a top-down view reveals that it's a true stretched pyramid. You can download the instructions on our FAQ page and see the top-down diagram to see what I mean.

-H

hshires
09-03-2006, 13:09
How soon before these are in stock ? Anyone know?

Sept 15th.

-H

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-03-2006, 13:27
I haven't tested the Kelty stick thing so I can't say how it performs for sure but it definitely has some weird asymmetric tensioning which is always asking for wind trouble. The Contrail has much, much better symmetries and wind performance in my opinion is quite good. If you get in a really big blow, you can drop the rear struts, guy out the side pullouts, and the thing is near bomber.

As for the Gatewood comparison, look carefully again at the Contrail and you'll see that the design is really quite different. The front end of the Contrail is supported by two swept "wings" and a top-down view reveals that it's a true stretched pyramid. You can download the instructions on our FAQ page and see the top-down diagram to see what I mean.

-HThanks for addressing the concerns and giving more info about the design differences between the GC and the C. Good to see you here. I thought you had abandoned this site.

hshires
09-03-2006, 14:55
That off center/tilted support pole on the contrail looks really clumsy annd awkward.

How so? You can set it vertically and leave it that way if you like--works either way just fine--but offsetting it like that gives you a much wider space for getting in and out. The idea is to set the Contrail up with the pole oriented vertically then offset it. Takes all of about 2 seconds. It's a nice feature if you give some thought to practical use.

-H

Big Dawg
09-03-2006, 15:52
How so? You can set it vertically and leave it that way if you like--works either way just fine--but offsetting it like that gives you a much wider space for getting in and out. The idea is to set the Contrail up with the pole oriented vertically then offset it. Takes all of about 2 seconds. It's a nice feature if you give some thought to practical use.

-H

Makes sense! Sweet design Henry!!

workboot
09-03-2006, 20:40
Sept 15th.

-H

Thank you.

GlazeDog
09-04-2006, 10:40
Henry--
I was wondering why would the Contrail be preferable to the Virga? Based on specs and weight I think the Virga is slightly better in both respects. The only thing I can see is the foot venting. How is the
venting with that foot vent open compared to other modells?

Thanks--
GlazeDog

hikerjohnd
09-04-2006, 11:27
Henry--
I was wondering why would the Contrail be preferable to the Virga? Based on specs and weight I think the Virga is slightly better in both respects. The only thing I can see is the foot venting. How is the
venting with that foot vent open compared to other modells?

Thanks--
GlazeDog
Good question - I was wondering same thing...

Earth Dweller
09-05-2006, 01:20
That's interesting...After comparing the Virga and Contrail, I arrived at the opposite conclusion. The Contrail offers roughly the same amount of floor space and the same peak height, yet it weighs about 5 ounces less than the Virga. Moreover, judging from the photographs, the struts at the foot of the Contrail would appear to offer considerably more usable space than the Virga's arched pole.

Natchez
09-05-2006, 02:37
Henry

Great tent! I think this may be the one I end up with! I have never slept in a single wall tent but they must be fine for AT conditions! I love your tent designs! This looks I deal for a light 1 person shelter that my son could sleep with me in on occasion. I think this is a great tent! It offers full bug protection correct? The Virga while a great looking tent did not fully keep out say a very determined ant correct? I love your tents now I just have to save.

Every Blessing
Rev. Alan Hughes

Natchez
09-05-2006, 02:39
oops " Single walls must be fine for AT conditions"? a question not a declaration

Franco
09-05-2006, 07:27
A couple of points. The Contrail is indeed lighter than the Virga 2, the confusion derives from the fact that the Contrail is listed "standard" with the floor (24.5 oz), 6 oz extra with the Virga (24+6).
Also, as correctly pointed out by Earth Dweller, there is more usable space at the narrow end of the Contrail. As for the adult plus 1 child accommodation, I might be able to post some shots this week-end , so that you can judge for yourselves. The same goes for the " strong wind" set up, not shown by Henry so far.
As for the ants invasion, that goes back to the original Virga when the front mesh door was tucked in not zipped up. In case you have missed this, the Contrail has a curved zip, not straight down the middle (with inevitable small gap at the end) as in the Virga 2 (also a possible entry point for small insects). This has never been a problem here in Australia because our bull ants are much bigger than that gap......
Franco

Smile
09-05-2006, 07:32
thanks for the update, how about condensation compared to previous HS models?

Beachwalker
09-05-2006, 07:35
The original Virga only had the "tucked in" door for a short time. The door design was eventually an extended floor with a full zipper.

-- BW

Smile
09-05-2006, 07:37
A welcome design change IMHO!

Footslogger
09-05-2006, 08:31
Henry makes quality tents so I am certain this one won't be any exception.

That said ...I like the side-entry style more and for that reason I think that the Rainbow is tops (so far anway).

'Slogger

Big Dawg
09-05-2006, 11:04
Henry makes quality tents so I am certain this one won't be any exception.

That said ...I like the side-entry style more and for that reason I think that the Rainbow is tops (so far anway).

'Slogger

Agree!!!!!

Mammoth
09-05-2006, 22:31
I just noticed the absence of the front guyline. That's really smart, I'm always running into the front line on my Squall II, but that's really just because I'm clumsy. That's a spectacular design, I can't wait to see some reviews.

Franco
09-06-2006, 07:11
Smile, I will be able to answer your condensation question in a few weeks. I have a week in the bush coming up, a friend will use the Rainbow and I will sleep in the Contrail, however I will spend a few nights in it in my backyard first. On paper and from what I have discussed with Henry, it should be as good as it gets with a single layer silnylon shelter. In some situations, no matter what, you will get condensation even without sleeping inside, but because of its size it should be fairly easy to avoid brushing against the walls.
The Rainbow is to me a fantastic tool to entice traditional tent users to a lighter but still very practical set up. I migrated from Bibler and Black Diamond to it and am very happy with it. Apart from the test faze for the Contrail , Henry has been using the Rainbows also, and he has a choice of shelters.....
The point that Mammoth makes is not trivial at all, in fact that was one of the first "features" Henry mentioned after making the first prototype.
The front entrance bit will be something different for me also, I did not like that in my Sierra, so I am not sure how I will feel about it.
Hopefully the Contrail will arrive by this week end so that I can take some other pictures of it.
Franco

GlazeDog
09-07-2006, 19:46
Been away a couple days and look what I've missed.
I see that the weight is lighter for the Contrail vs. the Virga2 as the floor is included. Not a benefit to me as I usually would sleep in the shelters and would use a Tyvek strip there anyways. The tyvek would have dual use with the floorless models by TarpTent for my usual mode of operation .
Also the Virga2 is still more roomy based on specs atleast as the foot end is not the area I usually end up brushing against--It is the head end where I get in and out, sit up to slip on a fleece or down jacket, etc. The Contrail is a traditional A-frame design while the Vriga2 has a strut that makes more usuable space. See photos at TarpTent website--as well as specs page for visual on old A-frame vs. new strut model Virgas. The old a frame is more simialr to Contrail as far as roof slope.

Until next time--

GlazeDog

hshires
09-16-2006, 17:28
Been away a couple days and look what I've missed.
I see that the weight is lighter for the Contrail vs. the Virga2 as the floor is included. Not a benefit to me as I usually would sleep in the shelters and would use a Tyvek strip there anyways. The tyvek would have dual use with the floorless models by TarpTent for my usual mode of operation .
Also the Virga2 is still more roomy based on specs atleast as the foot end is not the area I usually end up brushing against--It is the head end where I get in and out, sit up to slip on a fleece or down jacket, etc. The Contrail is a traditional A-frame design while the Vriga2 has a strut that makes more usuable space. See photos at TarpTent website--as well as specs page for visual on old A-frame vs. new strut model Virgas. The old a frame is more simialr to Contrail as far as roof slope.

Until next time--

GlazeDog

I have just posted an update to the Contrail page ( http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html ) to show additional setup options for major storms--something you can't really do in the Virga/Virga 2-- as well as a link to a comparison page to see the relative volume differences between the Virga, Virga 2, and Contrail. It is true that the Virga 2 has slightly more headroom but it's not dramatic and it certainly doesn't feel much different when sitting inside. The upside is much more footroom, move around room, elbow room up front and especially roll around room since the floor is so much further from the walls. Almost no chance of a bag touching a wall in the Contrail--not true in the Virga or Virga 2.

-H

Rick Bayley
09-22-2006, 20:18
Hi Henry, I'm thinking about snapping up a Rainbow, but notice the sewn-in floor version has been out of stock on your website for several weeks now - do you know when you'll have more stock in?

I read on another forum that you wiil be incorporating the 'seamless' floor of the Contrail in to the Rainbow pretty soon, will this this change be present in the new batch of Rainbows when they finally arrive?

I've been looking at getting a new Tarpent for a while now, ever since my Squall got stolen from a bus in Argentina a couple of years ago. I like the look of the Contrail, but am a bit worried the struts at the back might easily sink in to soft ground, especdally in the prevailing damp and soggy weather conditions here in the UK.

hshires
09-22-2006, 20:39
Hi Henry, I'm thinking about snapping up a Rainbow, but notice the sewn-in floor version has been out of stock on your website for several weeks now - do you know when you'll have more stock in?

I read on another forum that you wiil be incorporating the 'seamless' floor of the Contrail in to the Rainbow pretty soon, will this this change be present in the new batch of Rainbows when they finally arrive?

I've been looking at getting a new Tarpent for a while now, ever since my Squall got stolen from a bus in Argentina a couple of years ago. I like the look of the Contrail, but am a bit worried the struts at the back might easily sink in to soft ground, especdally in the prevailing damp and soggy weather conditions here in the UK.

Yes, next batch of batch of Rainbows (due here in 2 days) will have the seamless floors. The Rainbows will be "in stock" on Monday or Tuesday.

-H

hshires
09-22-2006, 20:47
I like the look of the Contrail, but am a bit worried the struts at the back might easily sink in to soft ground, especdally in the prevailing damp and soggy weather conditions here in the UK.

The solution to that potential problem is a thin, flat rock or piece of sheet plastic/metal under each strut. You just need to spread the load a little bit to keep the struts from sinking very far. Same goes for our thin, front pole. A trekking pole base (or basket) is much wider and sinks less.

-H

MedicineMan
09-23-2006, 03:30
its now time to turn your genius to the needs of the hammocker! show us what magic you can conjure for the hanging crowd. I know the tentors are your bread and butter but even you would admit that to hang is to be closer to the glory :)

hshires
09-23-2006, 14:13
i...I know the tentors are your bread and butter but even you would admit that to hang is to be closer to the glory :)

Closer to the glory of full cold air envelopment ;-)

Thanks for the nudge though. I'll see if I can figure out something for you tree dwellers. I do hear that they can do wonderful things with gene therapy these days ...

-H

Rick Bayley
09-24-2006, 09:03
Thanks for that Henry. I always think the bath tub floor is really important. In my experience any fool can hide under a plastic sheet and not get wet in the rain, the challenge is to repel water pooling on the surface and coming in from the side.

Yes. it does seem odd that after millions of years of evolution the hammockers have still not come down from the trees. Do you really think gene therapy is the answer? Maybe a copy of Origin Of Species ordered in cheap from Amazon would do the trick?

Are all hammockers Creationists? We need to know!?

Natchez
09-24-2006, 18:11
Thanks for that Henry. I always think the bath tub floor is really important. In my experience any fool can hide under a plastic sheet and not get wet in the rain, the challenge is to repel water pooling on the surface and coming in from the side.

Yes. it does seem odd that after millions of years of evolution the hammockers have still not come down from the trees. Do you really think gene therapy is the answer? Maybe a copy of Origin Of Species ordered in cheap from Amazon would do the trick?

Are all hammockers Creationists? We need to know!?

This one is. Hoowever, I still want one of those Contrails or Rainbows.

vaporjourney
10-10-2006, 21:00
by looking at the pics of the Contrail, it appears that it will require quite a bit of open space to be pitched properly, especially toward the head-end. I currently have a Rainbow and was thinking of replacing it because I felt limited in site selection because it was so wide and needed even more width to be pitched taut. Does anyone have experience with both the Rainbow and Contrail and compare the necessary space needed in a tent site? It looks like toward the foot end that the lines go nearly straight down to secure the tent, but near the head you have to stretch it quite far to get a good pitch. Perhaps the Contrail won't help me in increasing site selection in limited areas? Even if thats the case, it still sheds half a pound...

Franco
10-13-2006, 01:41
Hi Vp
You are correct the Contrail is wider and than the Rainbow.
See
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Contrail/Contrail-Rainbow-Emu.jpg
Franco

LostInSpace
04-12-2007, 13:31
The solution to that potential problem is a thin, flat rock or piece of sheet plastic/metal under each strut. You just need to spread the load a little bit to keep the struts from sinking very far. Same goes for our thin, front pole. A trekking pole base (or basket) is much wider and sinks less.

-H

Another possible solution is to carry a 1/2" plastic plumbing "T" fitting (about 0.4 oz.). Insert the strut or pole into middle of the "T". The strut or pole will not slip off this support. A little circle of CCF would also work, as it gives a little to prevent slipping, but not so much that it folds up.

Smile
04-12-2007, 13:59
How about just making the struts with a wide end?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-12-2007, 17:09
Closer to the glory of full cold air envelopment ;-)

Thanks for the nudge though. I'll see if I can figure out something for you tree dwellers. I do hear that they can do wonderful things with gene therapy these days ...Henry, I will refain from biting you on the toes with my pointy little dino teeth if you will design a tarptent for hammockers. :D

Franco
05-08-2007, 19:43
There are lots of pictures and suggestions in the Contrail thread at your favorite punching bag forum, Practical Backpacking. You will need so sign up, mention my name as a reference so that I can get closer to Sarbar, the boil in the bag queen.
Franco
(this message is not intended for the female Dino)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-08-2007, 20:53
How about posting some of those photos over here for those of us who have no use for Bernie's ways?

Appalachian Tater
05-08-2007, 21:06
How about posting some of those photos over here for those of us who have no use for Bernie's ways?

I must admit, even though they rejected my registration twice, I downloaded the PodCast with Henry Shires, and enjoyed it. Haven't been back and probably won't be. If you're going to reject someone's registration, you should at least tell them why instead of just deleting it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-08-2007, 21:10
:eek: Who could reject the Tater? :-? Don't answer that. :D

Franco
05-12-2007, 19:26
Hi FD
That thread has many comments and pictures from others also, so I think that for anyone interested on the Contrail. it's worth a look. I prefer to post pictures within the thread anyway.
Franco

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2007, 20:15
Alas, I guess I will pass on the pics then. That site is a nightmare to navigate unless you sign up and there is no way I am giving out the sort of info he wants for the registration.

LostInSpace
05-13-2007, 00:02
FD, you have it right! Why provide information that provides the potential for identity theft. Perhaps if Bernie posted a billion dollar bond to cover any damages to subscribers ... however, he is only concenred about himself, not anyone else.