PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals on the trail

spittinpigeon
09-03-2006, 11:34
I'm a sobo this year in MA at the moment, trailname Beater. In 99', I did a section from MA to VA, and when there was a turn indicated by the blazes, the top blaze was set to the right or left indicating which way the trail was turning respectively.
So far, from ME to MA, 99% of the double blazes have been stacked directly on top of each other. Which doesn't bother me so much when the trail is easy to see. But many of these people blaze the trail insanely, and every slight turn has a turn signal UNTIL the trail meets a crossroad of trails, and then you can't see a blaze for a quarter mile.
Coming down Stratton Mt. I saw blazes indicating a turn, however the trail turned to the right, and the blazes turned to the left. It was the same mistake going northbound. They finally learn how to do it right, and they do it wrong. Then 300 feet later, there's another double blaze, and it's just straight up and down.
I found it so ridiculous, I just had to take pics. :-?
Southbound
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/spittinpigeon/Picture124.jpg
Northbound
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/spittinpigeon/Picture125.jpg
300 feet later
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/spittinpigeon/Picture127.jpg

saimyoji
09-03-2006, 11:54
Based on what I've read in books, on maps, etc...stacked blazes not off-set can also indicate a point of interest, difficult trail, or some other hazard. Was there anything like this in that area? Does sound like someone wasn't paying attention, though. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
09-03-2006, 12:34
Seriously... when other than in a snow storm or in deep leaves is the Appalachian Trail difficult to follow?

Smile
09-03-2006, 12:34
A few flat rock areas.....example: NOBO is no better in GA coming down off of Blood Mtn - wondering when somebody will go up there and spray paint a huge ARROW telling hikers to take a sharp left coming down the rocks.

MD/PA at road crossings is ridiculously marked. No 'turn' warning, you come across a road with a wide DER road with some sort of hand painted white marks on it with a well worn trail going into the woods, and the trail is actually a hundred yards down - no warning, no blazes to be seen till you wander in each direction down the road - several places like this.

I'm thankful that it's marked at all, thanks to the trail maintainers and clubs, it's just that there is room for improvement in some areas.

hope the trail is a wonderful time for you - even if the blazes aren't all what you'd expect!
:-)

Kerosene
09-03-2006, 14:43
I swear that blaze painters have different psyches. One of these days I'll write down my thoughts about what a maintainer's blazing style says about them.

Mr. Clean
09-03-2006, 16:10
To me, there should only be double blazes at trail intersections, or where the trail does something funky like taking a 90 degree angle. A double blaze tells me "hey, something different is about to happen."

DawnTreader
09-03-2006, 16:17
Yo Beater.... It's The Dude... How You Doin'... Would appreciate any news of Coppertop, Buddah, Warrgeyaghi and Duncan (Grit)..
Hope all is well apart from the crazy blazes..
Keep on keepin' on....Sorry to hear about your Mac' n cheese shirt...Peace
The Dude

spittinpigeon
09-03-2006, 16:27
Yo Beater.... It's The Dude... How You Doin'... Would appreciate any news of Coppertop, Buddah, Warrgeyaghi and Duncan (Grit)..
Hope all is well apart from the crazy blazes..
Keep on keepin' on....Sorry to hear about your Mac' n cheese shirt...Peace
The Dude

They were all about a half a day, or a day behind me. I'm taking a few days at home right now, since Dalton Ma was as close to home as I'll ever get. Buddah apparently injured his leg, but he may be back on the trail as I write this. Found my Mac n' Cheese shirt BTW. :) Coppertop is now Hubcap since he found a VW hubcap and strapped it to his pack.
Great to hear from ya Dude.

Gray Blazer
09-03-2006, 16:27
Old Fhart, Walkin Home, where's the indignaton? Whoops, this guy is a Thru-hiker.....never mind.

emerald
09-03-2006, 18:24
One of these days I'll write down my thoughts about what a maintainer's blazing style says about them.

What would you think about a guy (or gal) who paints offset double blazes?;)

springerfever
09-03-2006, 20:43
Seems I read somewhere there is a term for one blaze offset above another to denote a major change in trail direction. I believe it was called a GARVEY, named so for its originator Ed Garvey, of early thru-hiker fame. Anybody else heard of this term, or have I just totally lost it.

emerald
09-03-2006, 21:10
Seems I read somewhere there is a term for one blaze offset above another to denote a major change in trail direction. I believe it was called a GARVEY, named so for its originator Ed Garvey, of early thru-hiker fame. Anybody else heard of this term, or have I just totally lost it.

No, sir. You have most definately not lost it. I am familiar with the term. That's why I mentioned offset double-blazes. I was hoping to get a rise out of someone. I don't know whether Ed was the first person to think of the offset double-blaze, but he certainly was an advocate.

The blaze on the top was to be offset in the direction the trail turned. Double-blazes at least as far as I am aware are to be painted only one directly above the other per ATC's policy unless that policy has changed from earlier times.

Maybe it was the at The Gathering, I happened to be sitting near Dave Sherman, Ed Garvey and Dennis Shaffer. Dave said, "Hey, Ed," extending his index fingers, one offset above the other. Ed responded, something to this effect: "Now, Dave, don't get me started." I told them I knew where there were some fine offset double-blazes on the A.T., having painted them myself. Dennis mentioned to me that was contrary to ATC policy. We all had a good laugh.

emerald
09-03-2006, 21:14
ten characters

DawnTreader
09-04-2006, 15:52
Beater
He strapped the hubcap to his back??? ***, I always sensed that kid was out there.. hahaha... did you get a new digicam yet?? did you ever get to an outfitter for a new pack??
It sucked ending in Gorham.. I should have planned for a thru.. I feel like I should be walkin' south with all yall.. anyway, I'm going next year!!! Sobo of course.. Peace man..
The Dude

Tin Man
09-04-2006, 19:46
I don't think I have been sidetracked for more than two minutes because of confusing blazes.

Teatime
09-05-2006, 03:07
This official ATC blaze description.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.795023/k.9C09/Follow_the_Blazes.htm

I'm a sobo this year in MA at the moment, trailname Beater. In 99', I did a section from MA to VA, and when there was a turn indicated by the blazes, the top blaze was set to the right or left indicating which way the trail was turning respectively.
So far, from ME to MA, 99% of the double blazes have been stacked directly on top of each other. Which doesn't bother me so much when the trail is easy to see. But many of these people blaze the trail insanely, and every slight turn has a turn signal UNTIL the trail meets a crossroad of trails, and then you can't see a blaze for a quarter mile.
Coming down Stratton Mt. I saw blazes indicating a turn, however the trail turned to the right, and the blazes turned to the left. It was the same mistake going northbound. They finally learn how to do it right, and they do it wrong. Then 300 feet later, there's another double blaze, and it's just straight up and down.
I found it so ridiculous, I just had to take pics. :-?
Southbound
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/spittinpigeon/Picture124.jpg
Northbound
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/spittinpigeon/Picture125.jpg
300 feet later
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/spittinpigeon/Picture127.jpg

RITBlake
09-05-2006, 09:27
Different trail clubs handle trail maintenance and trail blazing differently?

shocking.

Despite being a Yankee fan, MOWGLI is right. The AT is super easy to follow. The only time you have to even pay somewhat close attention to where you are walking is at road crossings and trail intersections.

max patch
09-05-2006, 10:23
I don't think I have been sidetracked for more than two minutes because of confusing blazes.

Back in the 80s I hiked from Springer to Neels. Somewhere in that section the AT made a 90 degree left hand turn and either the old AT or a game trail continued straight ahead. A hiker missed the turn (I can see how it would be easy to do) and continued straight ahead. He got lost when the trail eventually petered out.

I heard someone yelling for help. I remembered the intersection and went back and hiked it. I came across the lost hiker. To make matters worse while he was looking for the way back he took off his pack so he could bushwack easier. He lost it. He eventually found it after a short search.

I learned 2 things that day. I started to carry a whistle (the hikers vocie was just about gone) and I made a mental note to always take my pack with me (or leave it at a shelter) when gathering water or hiking to an overlook.

MOWGLI
09-05-2006, 10:35
Despite being a Yankee fan, MOWGLI is right. The AT is super easy to follow. The only time you have to even pay somewhat close attention to where you are walking is at road crossings and trail intersections.

There's a left handed compliment.... :sun

Hiking in fog, mist & rain above treeline can also be an adventure. Especially if the fog obscures the cairns. As TOF pointed out on another thread - the AT is often dual designated in the White Mountain National Forest - so you need to pay close attention to signage in that area.

Of course, a new hiker who is unaccustomed to following trails could have problems along the way. But for someone who has hiked regularly for years - the AT should not be difficult to follow. The treadway is usually obvious in comparison to virtually every side & connecting trail.

Tin Man
09-05-2006, 12:21
Back in the 80s I hiked from Springer to Neels. Somewhere in that section the AT made a 90 degree left hand turn and either the old AT or a game trail continued straight ahead. A hiker missed the turn (I can see how it would be easy to do) and continued straight ahead. He got lost when the trail eventually petered out.

I heard someone yelling for help. I remembered the intersection and went back and hiked it. I came across the lost hiker. To make matters worse while he was looking for the way back he took off his pack so he could bushwack easier. He lost it. He eventually found it after a short search.

He got lost and you didn't. What does that say? You were paying attention and he wasn't. I am not being derogratory, but when you follow a trail and don't see any blazes then you know it is time to check out where you are. On the AT, that should not take more than a couple of minutes.

I learned 2 things that day. I started to carry a whistle (the hikers vocie was just about gone) and I made a mental note to always take my pack with me (or leave it at a shelter) when gathering water or hiking to an overlook.

Good advice.

spittinpigeon
09-05-2006, 14:32
Let me elaborate a little further since I'm not sure I got my point across fully. Picture this, a white blaze on almost every other tree, so you're thinking this area is well kept. Then, like I said you reach a trail crossing, or road crossing and there is absolutely nothing on any tree or any trail, and you're standing there like ***?
Or, the last blaze you see is a double blaze but it's not offset, and none of the converging trails are marked, and all are well worn. It's just like..."thanks for the turn signal, but at least offset it, or throw a white blaze up within view from the intersection."
If you're going to go nuts with the blazes when the trail is obvious, couldn't you just throw one up when it isn't obvious?
One of my pet peeves.:rolleyes:

spittinpigeon
09-05-2006, 14:34
Some day, I'm going to hike to a remote location, and "blaze" a diverging trail away from the AT, white blazed of course. The blazes and trail will eventually just peeter out and end in the middle of nowheres. :eek:

I've actually thought I had fallen victim to that a couple of times before, outside of Hanover, and around the Vt/MA line. I wouldn't put it past someone, especially the DOC.

MOWGLI
09-05-2006, 15:07
Or, the last blaze you see is a double blaze but it's not offset, and none of the converging trails are marked, and all are well worn.

Only VERY rarely are converging trails as well worn as the AT. The AT is almost always the most heavily used trail where ever it is found.

RITBlake
09-05-2006, 15:33
Or, the last blaze you see is a double blaze but it's not offset, and none of the converging trails are marked

I remember reading somewhere that a double blazed that is stacked in that fashion, is way for a trail crew to tell the hiker 'hey heads up, pay extra attention here because the trail might be a bit confusing'

For most road crossings on the AT it is possible to the beaten path on the other side of the road. If not, you'll have to GASP do a little exploring and find the trail. If you carry a wingfoot or databook you can consult that for mroe info.

emerald
09-05-2006, 15:44
There could be any number of reasons why the blaze you would have liked to see was missing. If you are interested in saving someone else the inconvenience you experienced, the proper course of action is to contact GMC. Your time would be better spent on that effort. Since I don't know precisely where you think the blazing could be improved, I can't tell you which GMC section has maintenance responsibility.

If you contact me via PM with a precise location, I will provide you with the contact information for someone who could address the issue you have raised. That individual would probably appreciate you calling this to his or her attention. You are likely not the only person to have had the experience you describe.

When The Long Trail was returned to Stratton Mountain in 1989, the blazing was in good condition. The Long Trail Patrol spent a couple of months working on the new trail that year and I am certain I would have asked those hiking there if they had any difficulty following it. Much can change in 17 years. Perhaps it's time to revisit whether the blazing at that location is still satisfactory.

PM me, we'll see if we can get your concern addressed.

emerald
09-05-2006, 16:47
GA coming down off of Blood Mtn - wondering when somebody will go up there and spray paint a huge ARROW telling hikers to take a sharp left coming down the rocks.

I hope someone will not be encouraged by your post to do as you suggest. That would be inappropriate marking of the A.T. and would look like **** (pick the four letter word of your choice). Such an act in my opinion would be vandalism.:mad:

An offset double-blaze indicating a left turn or a directional sign might be appropriate, but it would be up to GATC to make that decision and impliment it.;)

:-? I wonder if you emailed them to express your concern? I cut and pasted the following text from GATC's website:

Trails Supervisor ([email protected]) - To report problems & conditions on the A.T. in Georgia :) contact the GATC Trails Supervisor. The Appalachian Trail in Georgia is maintained by volunteer members of the GATC. These dedicated people put in many hours of trail maintence each year. They constantly monitor the trail for conditions and problems that may interfere with safe and pleasurable hiking. However, you the hiker, can help us by reporting problems that you observe as you walk the trail (blowdowns, weeds, shelter problems, etc...). Be specific as to location and description of the condition or problem.

MOWGLI
09-05-2006, 16:52
Finding the trail is half the fun - to me. Hiking trails shouldn't have neon signs, or blazes every 100', or signage everywhere. Some trails - like the BMT and JMT are hardly signed at all in certain areas.

Anyone feel similarly?

Sly
09-05-2006, 17:08
I hope someone will not be encouraged by your post to do as you suggest. That would be inappropriate marking of the A.T. and would look like **** (pick the four letter word of your choice). Such an act in my opinion would be vandalism.:mad:

An offset double-blaze indicating a left turn or a directional sign might be appropriate, but it would be up to GATC to make that decision and impliment it.;)

Yes it should be left up to the GATC, but arrows aren't unheard of as are offset double blazes. I've seen many people climb back to the trail just north of Blood Mnt and it should be better marked.

If you're going to mark the trail it should be consistent, but not so consistent you can see more than one blaze at a time. They should also be alternating south and north but not on any single tree or rock.

emerald
09-05-2006, 17:25
I've seen many people climb back to the trail just north of Blood Mnt and it should be better marked.

Smile and Sly seem to be in agreement. I hope they will express their opinion WRT this issue to GATC.

The more people walk in the wrong direction and retrace their steps, the more worn-in the wrong path becomes contributing further to the problem, no?

LostInSpace
09-05-2006, 17:35
Finding the trail is half the fun - to me. Hiking trails shouldn't have neon signs, or blazes every 100', or signage everywhere. Some trails - like the BMT and JMT are hardly signed at all in certain areas.

Anyone feel similarly?

Ditto! I would rather have no blazes and have to carry a map than have the trail so well marked that maps are not needed. That would provide some similarity to hiking in a true wilderness.

Tin Man
09-05-2006, 17:39
Let me elaborate a little further since I'm not sure I got my point across fully. Picture this, a white blaze on almost every other tree, so you're thinking this area is well kept. Then, like I said you reach a trail crossing, or road crossing and there is absolutely nothing on any tree or any trail, and you're standing there like ***?
Or, the last blaze you see is a double blaze but it's not offset, and none of the converging trails are marked, and all are well worn. It's just like..."thanks for the turn signal, but at least offset it, or throw a white blaze up within view from the intersection."
If you're going to go nuts with the blazes when the trail is obvious, couldn't you just throw one up when it isn't obvious?
One of my pet peeves.:rolleyes:

On these rare occassions, use your nose. Just follow the stink. ;) I mean you do have other senses, try to work it out. I hate those days I don't have to think at all.

Sly
09-05-2006, 17:41
Smile and Sly seem to be in agreement. I hope they will express their opinion WRT this issue to GATC.

The more people walk in the wrong direction and retrace their steps, the more worn-in the wrong path becomes contributing further to the problem, no?

I could probably figure it out but what's WRT?

If I'm not mistaken there actually may be an arrow (or perhaps a blaze) on this side of Blood Mnt but it's to the left of where it's natural to go straight.

Another method is to crib the trail with logs or more naturally rocks and stones.

max patch
09-05-2006, 17:45

Not on Blood, since you are walking on rock not soil.

Funny thing, I've hiked in GA about 30 years and I NEVER missed the left turn on Blood heading north toward Neels. Until last year. I remembered all the posts I've read over the years that this needed to be blazed better as I backtracked. Is one missed turn in 30 years (figuring Ive hiked Blood at least twice a year over this time) proof that additional blazing isn't needed? Or is it proof - considering my time on Blood over the years - that a painted 'turn signal" IS needed?

Sly
09-05-2006, 17:49
Funny thing, I've hiked in GA about 30 years and I NEVER missed the left turn on Blood heading north toward Neels

Why's that, what made you turn left? Generally it's normal to go straight without a marking.

emerald
09-05-2006, 17:52
Yes it should be left up to the GATC, but arrows aren't unheard of ...

If GATC thinks an arrow would be appropriate, who am I to question them? I've seen arrows on the A.T. before. It's just that I think in most cases these arrows were painted by some individual who thought he or she knew better than the trail club how the trail ought to be marked.:rolleyes:

I don't have a copy of the book co-authored by Bob Proudman anymore, but I don't recollect it suggesting that arrows be painted on rocks and I don't recall seeing anything like that in the USFS manual I once had either. Neatly painted blazes on rocks:) , arrows on rocks:( . Of course as soon as even the slightest amount of snow falls on them they're useless.:-?

emerald
09-05-2006, 17:56
what's WRT?

with respect to

He uses it regularly. It's one of those useless expressions used to boost character count.;)

It would have been better to simply type I hope they will express their opinion to GATC.

LostInSpace
09-05-2006, 18:11
What's the big deal with missing a turn? I've missed turns on trails that I've hiked half a dozen times. I was watching in the birds, or maybe butterflys, or looking at my feet, or blabbing at my partner ... or spacing out trying to ignore my partner, etc., etc. :D It didn't take that long to realize that I'd (or we'd) made a mistake. Just turn around and go back to get on track.

emerald
09-05-2006, 18:21
Another method is to crib the trail with logs or more naturally rocks and stones.

I'd be surprised if that would last one season. Someone would surely tear it apart and it would take a lot of labor to build as well as maintain.

2 ideas:

Two blazes near one another (6, 8, or 10 feet apart -- whatever seems appropriate) indicating a turn at the place where you suggested it would be natural to go straight.

A left-offset, possibly even counterclockwise-rotated double-blaze at the location people fail to make the turn. If there is a tree within sight of this spot where the double-blaze is painted, a blaze might be painted there.

emerald
09-05-2006, 18:33
What's the big deal with missing a turn? I've missed turns on trails that I've hiked half a dozen times. I was watching in the birds, or maybe butterflys, or looking at my feet, or blabbing at my partner ... or spacing out trying to ignore my partner, etc., etc. :D It didn't take that long to realize that I'd (or we'd) made a mistake. Just turn around and go back to get on track.

I'm not so sure missing a turn is a big deal, but if missed by many or the majority it strikes me as an indication that better marking may be in order.

saimyoji
09-05-2006, 19:57
I'm not so sure missing a turn is a big deal, but if missed by many or the majority it strikes me as an indication that better marking may be in order.

Well, the people who blaze the trail should be experienced hikers who are very familiar with the section they are blazing. I hiked some trails in PA's Promised Land SP not long ago and some of the trails were freshly blazed. The Einstein who blazed them did a great job. Got that blue paint all over the tree, the surrounding bushes/ferns and even on the duff/trail between blazed trees. :rolleyes:

I like blaze every now and again, but that was ridiculous. It was like they had asked the local cub scout troop to blaze it. Shameful. :mad:

max patch
09-05-2006, 20:14
Why's that, what made you turn left? Generally it's normal to go straight without a marking.

I don't know offhand, next time I'm there I'll see why I alway veer towards the left. First though, I'm going to head up to Addis Gap and see if the FS road is in fact gated. That one really has me curious. Real shame if it is.

Mountain Man
09-05-2006, 20:41
Yes it should be left up to the GATC, but arrows aren't unheard of as are offset double blazes. I've seen many people climb back to the trail just north of Blood Mnt and it should be better marked.

If you're going to mark the trail it should be consistent, but not so consistent you can see more than one blaze at a time. They should also be alternating south and north but not on any single tree or rock.

Sly, I know the spot yall talking about and although I've never missed it, it's probably because I've been through there so much. I could see how someone could miss the turn, but they probably won't go far at all untill they realize it. I'll talk to them about putting another blaze in there.
One of the things about Blood Mtn. is that it's in a Wilderness area and thus less blazing. Even though arrows aren't unheard of, maintainers aren't suppose to use arrows.

Lone Wolf
09-05-2006, 20:42
WHAAA! I missed a turn! WHAAA! Good Christ.:rolleyes:

Sly
09-05-2006, 20:48
Sly, I know the spot yall talking about and although I've never missed it, it's probably because I've been through there so much. I could see how someone could miss the turn, but they probably won't go far at all untill they realize it. I'll talk to them about putting another blaze in there.
One of the things about Blood Mtn. is that it's in a Wilderness area and thus less blazing. Even though arrows aren't unheard of, maintainers aren't suppose to use arrows.

I think it has to be marked somehow, I never missed it either but it's not natural to take a hard left at a slant on rock. You could probably put a traffic sign up and some would miss it..

saimyoji
09-05-2006, 22:01
"Go straight. If something gets in your way, turn."

??movie?? :-?

Smile
09-05-2006, 22:15
this year while I was out, there were about 8 hikers that day that came into Mtn. Crossings that had missed that turn coming down Blood Mtn. It was cold and foggy by the time they arrived at dusk. If I hadn't have read somebody warning about it here on WB, I would've missed it myself.

The GATC was not interested in changing this, I emailed them about it and was told "nobody has to mark the trail, you should see the other states". Poor attitude, but doesn't fix the problem there - what do the 'other states' have to do with this particular marking?. It's not like it's a good easy spot to take your time and get back on trail. No whining, just the facts :)

Another good reason to listen to some of the advice here on WB, I saw several posts about it, and jotted this down in my book.

Skidsteer
09-05-2006, 22:34
I had been up and over Blood Mtn. in all four seasons well before I knew there was such a thing as Whiteblaze. net. Never took a wrong turn even in snow.

Guess I was lucky.

Smile
09-05-2006, 22:51
Yup. I really don't want to sound like I was complaining, but I heard alot of stories that night at MC, guess it just kinda stuck that it was a bad place. I would have definately missed that turn in the fog!

I think it's great that there are clubs out there that do the maintaining, and the blazing, it's such a great trail, and maybe I should look at those "mis-marked" (IMO) blazes as great fodder for another trail story! After all, everybody needs some sort of adventure to share with others.

saimyoji
09-05-2006, 22:56
I think it's great that there are clubs out there that do the maintaining, and the blazing, it's such a great trail, and maybe I should look at those "mis-marked" (IMO) blazes as great fodder for another trail story! After all, everybody needs some sort of adventure to share with others.

Yeah, gotta agree here on both points. I'd hate to come home after a hike and say: "Man, nothing interesting/different happened." So far everyone of my hikes has been special in some way, even hikes over the same ground. ;)

Alligator
09-06-2006, 13:23
"Go straight. If something gets in your way, turn."

??movie?? :-?Better off dead. $10.00. WB wants its $10.00.

saimyoji
09-06-2006, 19:24
Better off dead. $10.00. WB wants its $10.00.

Actually I believe WB only wants $2.00, but 10 works just as well.

saimyoji
09-06-2006, 19:25
Actually I believe WB only wants $2.00, but 10 works just as well.

Nope, take it back. Took me a second longer to get your meaning than it took to click submit. :o

hikerjohnd
09-06-2006, 21:16
Seriously... when other than in a snow storm or in deep leaves is the Appalachian Trail difficult to follow?

Coming past Watuga lake last year, I followed the clearly marked and well traveled trail to the left just after it crossed a small stream (just a trickle of water really) There was a fallen tree about 50 feet past the water, but it looked recent enough that maintainers just had not had time to clear it. Well, I followed the trail for at least a mile if not more along power lines until the trail obviously ended. Since I did not have a better idea, I headed back to the last white blaze I saw - at the water. And then I saw it - a white blaze on a log about 12" off the ground.

No snow, no leaves - just poorly marked. The trail actually turned sharply to the right at the small stream - but some trail - maybe powerline access - went to the left and was much easier to follow.

spittinpigeon
09-07-2006, 20:47
Well, the people who blaze the trail should be experienced hikers who are very familiar with the section they are blazing. I hiked some trails in PA's Promised Land SP not long ago and some of the trails were freshly blazed. The Einstein who blazed them did a great job. Got that blue paint all over the tree, the surrounding bushes/ferns and even on the duff/trail between blazed trees. :rolleyes:

I like blaze every now and again, but that was ridiculous. It was like they had asked the local cub scout troop to blaze it. Shameful. :mad:

See, that's what I mean, I've seen sheer stupidity painted on the trees. If you're going to put blazes where they AREN'T needed for miles and miles, why not throw one up where it IS needed. You might as well just not put up blazes at all.
If you're doing it on purpose, just give me a heads up. Then I know what I'm dealing with, otherwise I think it's idiots blazing the trail. Perhaps it's the same people blazing the trail that don't read my post and jump down my throat. Or maybe they did read it, but just lack simple paragraph comprehension skills.

"Oh oh oh, hold on now, nobody's jumping down your throat"
Ok, then stop putting words in my mouth. This is the LAST place I want to get in a flame war.

saimyoji
09-07-2006, 22:14
You haven't posted your age, and you're relatively new here, so I can't assume anything about your age/experience....but by now you must be used to being surrounded by people of varying idiocy and dealing with them accordingly. The trail is no different. Take what comes your way, deal with and be happy that you had the chance to walk it. And if you have some spare time, maybe get involved and try to affect some change.

"No sniveling." :)

saimyoji
10-15-2006, 19:01
Hiked a short section of the trail from PA 309 north towards Bake Oven Knob yesterday. There were at least 4 places where the trail turned with no indication as to which way to go. However, it was pretty obvious after a short investigation. There are quite a few of those gamelands boundary markers that could fool the unwary, but here's a hint: the AT is marked with 2x6 whiteblazes; the gamelands boundary is marked by a non-uniform circular type white mark, apparantly spray painted on.

We could hear the hunters, and once I swore I saw the glint of a scope pointed in our direction. :eek: Good thing I was wearing blaze orange and my hiking partner HelloKitty pink! :D

emerald
10-15-2006, 20:26
You raise a good point. People hiking in Pennsylvania should be aware that Pennsylvania Game Lands boundaries are also marked with white paint. These markings are not as uniform in size as A.T. blazes, often roundish about 4 inches across. You will also see red metal ovals along these boundaries. I am not aware of any places where the A.T. runs along a boundary for any substantial distance although it crosses the boundaries fairly often in certain areas.

When in doubt, stop and use you head before proceeding. Always look for that next blaze to confirm you're still on the A.T. after a sharp turn. On well-blazed trail, you should see a blaze from the turn. Should you fail to find one in short order, stop. Sometimes, turning around, you will see a blaze. You may need to retrace your steps to the last place you saw a blaze to find the A.T.

I walked about 17 miles on the A.T. in Pennsylvania Friday through PGL and U.S. corridor, crossing many boundaries. The last 5.5 miles were in almost complete blackness with a poor headlamp, but I didn't get lost. The friendly white markers will take you where you desire to go.;) :)

I posted, but I wasn't the person who woke up this thread. Maybe it is better off dead. Just a thought.

LIhikers
10-16-2006, 08:11
As Shades of Gray says about the Pennsylvania Game Lands markings, be careful. My wife and I did a section of PA a few summers back and wound up following those "other" white blazes down a hillside. We didn't realize it until we were knee deep in brush. We had been lost in conversation and not paying attention to the AT blazes because the trail was so easy to follow. It only took as a few minutes to retrace our steps back up the hill to the AT but we felt quite foolish.