PDA

View Full Version : ALDHA Gathering 2006

Pages : [1] 2

Jack Tarlin
09-03-2006, 13:00
The 25th annual Gathering of the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association will be held in just under six weeks, in West Virginia. (see www.aldha.org for details).

Who's planning to attend?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-03-2006, 14:01
We had planned to attend, but it doesn't look like the male dino will out of PT in time. He really did some damage to his left hand with a table saw back in late July and has PT 3x a week. He also had a mild stroke within the past month. No permanent damage, praise God, but the docs are watching him pretty closely for any signs of another.

Wonder
09-03-2006, 14:08
I will be there! Can't wait to see everyone!!!

MOWGLI
09-03-2006, 14:15
Mi mi mi mi. (Warming up my voice) I'll be there.

SGT Rock
09-03-2006, 14:26
Damn, I wish I could be there.

SawnieRobertson
09-03-2006, 15:35
Well, I'll be there. And I wish that MOWGLI16 would be there for us to meet.
How about it, . . . mi,mi, mi, mi?--Kinnickinic

Big Dawg
09-03-2006, 15:47
I won't be able to make it. My wife and I are on the verge of an adotion! You guys have fun! :D

Mother Nature
09-03-2006, 16:24
Smokestack and I will be there. Our 1st Gathering.

Mother Nature

TJ aka Teej
09-03-2006, 19:00
I sure wish you could be over here for it too, Rock!
I sent in my registration ages ago, and plan to drive down early enough to get some hiking in before the Gather. Looking forward to the southern flavored meet-up, I've only been to the Hanover Gatherings.

Sly
09-03-2006, 20:13
<sorry triple post!>

Sly
09-03-2006, 20:14
<triple post>

Sly
09-03-2006, 20:14
I'll be there that Thursday and bringing my clubs. Looking for a fourth!

Sly
09-03-2006, 20:17
----- sorry, website's acting funny! ----

One Leg
09-03-2006, 21:00
I'm planning to attend... Any chance I could double up with someone at Pipestem? I don't take up much space!! I'm foldable!!!

eArThworm
09-03-2006, 22:41
I'll be there Thursday night. Doing registration table most of the day Friday. Y'all look for the "ALDHA Authors" workshop on Saturday (11:15-12:15, continued 3:30-5:30, in MUS 105), if you'd like to hear ALDHA's authors read from their trail books (and other members, like Baltimore Jack, Sly and Marsha reading in place of authors not able to be there). Nearly 30 excerpts will be read and some of the authors will have their books there for sale. I've had fun organizing this and I hope folks will have fun listening.

Tha Wookie
09-26-2006, 01:25
Looks like I might be going now.

leaning in that direction....

Have to hit the smokies up first.

Then it's off to hiker heaven (other than the trail, of course).

I am looking forward to seeing everyone!

dixicritter
09-27-2006, 11:21

We can try for next year's though. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-27-2006, 11:52
We may make it after all. The male dino is doing much better and PT is down to once a week.

fishinfred
09-27-2006, 18:10
I'll be there ! Where will all the WhiteBlazers be camping :confused: ?
First trip to Pipestem for me and I'm really looking forward to it !
SEE Y'ALL THERE!
:sun
PEACE!
Fishinfred

Skidsteer
09-27-2006, 18:22
We may make it after all. The male dino is doing much better and PT is down to once a week.

Good news, F.D.

Glad to hear he's doing better. :)

Stonewall
09-27-2006, 19:14
I will be attending :)

hopefulhiker
09-27-2006, 19:33
I wanted to go last year and couldn't but I am going to try to make it this year..

StarLyte
09-27-2006, 19:38

Oh good for Mr. Dino!!

I hope you are both able to attend.

StarLyte
09-27-2006, 19:42
I'll be there Thursday night. Doing registration table most of the day Friday. Y'all look for the "ALDHA Authors" workshop on Saturday (11:15-12:15, continued 3:30-5:30, in MUS 105), if you'd like to hear ALDHA's authors read from their trail books (and other members, like Baltimore Jack, Sly and Marsha reading in place of authors not able to be there). Nearly 30 excerpts will be read and some of the authors will have their books there for sale. I've had fun organizing this and I hope folks will have fun listening.

I am really looking forward to this eArThworm, you put a lot of work into it. I know it will be a success.

I'm bringing all the ALDHA volunteers working the registration desk a homemade spice cookie with the best butter cream icing. :banana

Marsha
"StarLyte"

StarLyte
09-27-2006, 19:44
I'll be there that Thursday and bringing my clubs. Looking for a fourth!

Sly-I'm bringing my clubs too-need the practice REAL BAD. Nice big open field there.

Lone Wolf
09-27-2006, 23:28
Paw Paw and Pirate are coming too. They be in Damasskiss now.

Blister
09-28-2006, 08:23
Hey LW, hope all is well. Give everyone down that way my love! Hopefully I will make it to the Gathering to end this monumental summer. I hope Paw Paw and the rest are in good health.

Lone Wolf
09-28-2006, 09:34
The 25th annual Gathering of the Appalachian Long-Distance Hiker's Association will be held in just under six weeks, in West Virginia. (see www.aldha.org for details).

Who's planning to attend?

Pirate and Paw Paw are here in Damascus. I talked them into attending so they'll be there.

Lone Wolf
09-28-2006, 09:35
I forgot I posted this info last night!:D The beer was flowing good.:)

MOWGLI
09-28-2006, 10:09
Pirate and Paw Paw are here in Damascus. I talked them into attending so they'll be there.

I met Paw Paw's daughter at Trail Days in '04 and she was worried about his health. He was having some issues then - and his daughter seemed real worried about him. Glad to hear he's up and around and will be at the Gathering.

Panzer1
09-28-2006, 20:34
Count me in.

I got Friday off from work and will be leaving Thursday evening after work and driving part way down. That way I won't have so far to drive on Friday. I may stop at the Doyle on Thursday night if anyone from WB is going to be there to party with. Otherwise I will stop in Carlisle, its more on the way. Hopefully I will be in Pipesteam by 3 PM Friday.
See you all there.

Panzer

mrc237
09-28-2006, 20:39
I'm planning a Doyle stop on the way down from NY on Thirsty Thursday.

Sly
09-28-2006, 20:50
I'm planning a Doyle stop on the way down from NY on Thirsty Thursday.

Lightening Bolt coming?

mrc237
09-28-2006, 21:45
LB's got a jajajaajaajaa job.

mrc237
09-28-2006, 21:45
BTW Sly, I'll bring the WRs!!!!!!!!!!

Alligator
09-28-2006, 22:15
Is there a schedule somewhere that I have missed seeing?

Sly
09-28-2006, 22:18
MrC I'm on my 1st today, what are WR's?

Alligator, let me see if I can post one....

Sly
09-28-2006, 22:24
Gathering schedule to date...

Sly
09-28-2006, 22:25
Not what I was intending but if you can unzip the file, that's it.

Alligator
09-28-2006, 22:40
MrC I'm on my 1st today, what are WR's?

Alligator, let me see if I can post one....Got it, thanks Sly.

Tha Wookie
09-29-2006, 00:11
ok now I'm 100% in, Ford willing.

If my buddy doesn't come, I *might* have room for 1 from Athens, GA. I plan on taking the scenic route, possibly camping out Thurs night previous somewhere en route.

I'm excited. I've always heard what a great event it is. ALDHA west was a great time last year.

Who else is coming? Gator... you gonna be there?

Alligator
09-29-2006, 00:17

If my buddy doesn't come, I *might* have room for 1 from Athens, GA. I plan on taking the scenic route, possibly camping out Thurs night previous somewhere en route.

I'm excited. I've always heard what a great event it is. ALDHA west was a great time last year.

Who else is coming? Gator... you gonna be there?Most certainly.

Ewker
09-29-2006, 00:29

thanks for posting that info. Now I get to see what I will be missing :mad:

Panzer1
10-01-2006, 21:52
Need some canopy advice.

Since it rainded so much at the last gathering I want to get a canopy for this one. How much should I expect to pay for a good one? Does anyone have a brand that they would recomend?

Panzer

Tinker
10-02-2006, 01:54
This year, due to scheduling conflicts, (and lack of money for too much time taken off to hike and do church related activities), I won't be able to go.

I'll miss it. :(

StarLyte
10-02-2006, 06:56
Need some canopy advice.

Since it rainded so much at the last gathering I want to get a canopy for this one. How much should I expect to pay for a good one? Does anyone have a brand that they would recomend?

Panzer

Panzer-I shopped around for one, and couldn't find anything unless it was a tie down canopy, and the first wind that comes along.....it will disappear into the field. I eventually found one at Sears, reduced, but it still cost a LOT of money. I'll have it for years though I'm sure. Just try all department stores.....and that franchise that begins with a man's name......

Keep in mind last year was at Dartmouth. Let's cross our fingers that it doesn't rain.

StarLyte
10-02-2006, 06:59

Who else is coming? Gator... you gonna be there?

All right Tha Wookie......I had to respond to your avatar. That is one of my all time favorite photos of the Weathercarrot.....and you of course.

I'm glad you're coming to the Gathering. It will be great.

Tha Wookie
10-02-2006, 10:14
All right Tha Wookie......I had to respond to your avatar. That is one of my all time favorite photos of the Weathercarrot.....and you of course.

I'm glad you're coming to the Gathering. It will be great.

Yeah, I thought I'd add to the confusion factor. For some reason people tend to get us mixed up.

To be confused with WC.... well that is a compliment!:D

eArThworm
10-02-2006, 12:40

Sly, THANK YOU for making the workshop schedule available!! The ALDHA AUTHORS workshop is on Sat. in MUS 105 and I hope a few of you will come. It now has a description that I sent in, instead of the one Stacey made up:

ALDHA Authors Celebrate the 25th Gathering
Linda Patton, “eArThworm”

Ed Garvey’s book, “Appalachian Hiker: Adventure of a Lifetime” was published in 1971. Jan Leitschuh’s “The Ordinary Adventurer”--an account of her Long Trail hike--will come out late in 2006. In the intervening 25 years, over 3 dozen members of our hiking community have penned more than 100 books.

Our talented ALDHA authors are celebrating the 25th Gathering with readings from their books. Following the readings, there will be an opportunity to chat with authors and purchase their literary works.

TJ aka Teej
10-02-2006, 14:43
Jan Leitschuh’s “The Ordinary Adventurer”--an account of her Long Trail hike--will come out late in 2006.All I want for Christmas is Liteshoe's LT book! TJ < been wicked good

RedneckRye
10-02-2006, 14:58
The latest update on the ALDHA site says there is info about the saturday cookout. I couldn't seem to locate anything about it.
Anyone know when the actual schedule listing what workshops are when will be posted??
Just based on what is already listed on the website, it seems things are a bit more organized than in the past. Two years ago there was no info as to the schedule until I got to Concord, not even the main evening programs. Also no one replied to my e-mail to ALDHA asking about the schedule. Made it sort of tough to decide if I wanted to stay thru sunday night and have to take an extra day off work.
Great work so far Stacy and Greg.
See all y'all there.

StarLyte
10-02-2006, 16:04
The latest update on the ALDHA site says there is info about the saturday cookout. I couldn't seem to locate anything about it.
Anyone know when the actual schedule listing what workshops are when will be posted??
Just based on what is already listed on the website, it seems things are a bit more organized than in the past. Two years ago there was no info as to the schedule until I got to Concord, not even the main evening programs. Also no one replied to my e-mail to ALDHA asking about the schedule. Made it sort of tough to decide if I wanted to stay thru sunday night and have to take an extra day off work.
Great work so far Stacy and Greg.
See all y'all there.

Hey there!
I have cut-n-pasted this from the Gathering's website (http://www.aldha.org/gather06/letter.htm):

" On Saturday, we can all share in BBQ and Bluegrass. You must have registered and picked up your registration packet prior to the BBQ to receive your discount ticket. Your discount ticket is worth $5.25.

All ALDHA is asking is that you pay $5 for the AYCE (please bring correct change), $10.25 without the discount registration ticket. We envision hikers filling up on good eats and sitting on the lawn listening to music. Let's make this happen."

Long feet
10-02-2006, 16:28
This is a reall doosey of a dumb question, but it is my first gathering. :confused: Will there be space to hang a hammock if I get there late on Friday night? I'm looking forward to the fun.

Jack Tarlin
10-02-2006, 16:30
LF---

There is an enormous area at the Folklife Center where everyone camps; basically, it's a great big grasy field.

If you go to the edges of it, you'll find a beautiful wooded area, with great places for hammocking.

Cedar Tree
10-02-2006, 17:30
ATTENTION WHITEBLAZERS-- commercial post alert

I will be at the Gathering in WV and I am having a BIG sale on new, old, and slightly defective Packas. Normally, my retail price on the Packa is $110.

At the Gathering only, my price will be $90 for the newest edition of the Packa, and $80 for the few (5) remaining old style Packas.

Plus, as an extra special Whiteblaze deal, if you give me the secret Whiteblaze handshake and password, or simply tell me you are a Whiteblaze member, I will reduce the price of any Packa $5 and donate $5 to Whiteblaze.net.

I will also have Packas available in breathable fabrics including eVent, Stormtech, and duravent (frogg toggs) at various prices.

Finally: Packa on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130032754512

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing everybody at the Gathering,
Cedar Tree

Panzer1
10-02-2006, 19:46
This is a reall doosey of a dumb question, but it is my first gathering. :confused: Will there be space to hang a hammock if I get there late on Friday night? I'm looking forward to the fun.

We never run out of space. Most people will be tent camping in the center of the big open grassy field. So if you hammock, you will be off to the far side all by yourself. That may be good, that may be bad. I would imagine it would be more fun camping in the center with everyone else. There will be several hundred tents in the field. If your arriving after dark, it may be a little harder to find 2 trees. Maybe you could tarp out Friday night with everyone else in the center and then find your trees on Saturday morning. Maybe you can find 2 poles close enough to hammock, I don't know. Or maybe you could use your car and a pole.

See you there..

Panzer

TJ aka Teej
10-02-2006, 21:47
Looks like I'll need to be in two places at once Gathering weekend... so I'll have to choose to stay up here, dagnabit. I sent in my registration back when I renewed months ago - so much for planning that far ahead! Have fun everyone! Anyway I can get a copy of WC's ALDHA DVD?

weathercarrot
10-02-2006, 22:34
Every ALDHA member will receive a copy, whether it's handed to them at the Gathering, or sent in the mail if they don't attend.

Panzer1
10-04-2006, 21:13
Ok, I ordered my canopy form campmor on Monday night and it was on the porch when I got home today (Wednesday). That was fast. 2 business days. It's heavy, weights 39 pounds though. So now let it rain at the Gathering. I will be dry under my new canopy. I just wish I had it last year at the gathering when we had all that rain. See you all next week.

Panzer

trailangelmary
10-05-2006, 11:58
The schedule looks awesome. And I was looking forward to seeing everyone there. However, it looks like I won't be able to make it. Unless I decide to drive down on Friday night when I get off work. But have to be back Monday morning for work. That is a lot of driving in two days.
I did get to see Baltimore Jack and Phatt Chap (Gary) yesterday as they stopped by on their way south. Jack is going to Tenn. to hike for a week before the Gathering. And Gary to visit some family.
I hope to see more of you as you stop in Duncannon on the way down. I will be working at the Rivi on Thursday evening making wings!
Starlyte, hope to see lots of pictures since I will miss it.
Love to all and be safe driving. Watch out for the other guy!

StarLyte
10-05-2006, 12:21
The schedule looks awesome. And I was looking forward to seeing everyone there. However, it looks like I won't be able to make it. Unless I decide to drive down on Friday night when I get off work. But have to be back Monday morning for work. That is a lot of driving in two days.
I did get to see Baltimore Jack and Phatt Chap (Gary) yesterday as they stopped by on their way south. Jack is going to Tenn. to hike for a week before the Gathering. And Gary to visit some family.
I hope to see more of you as you stop in Duncannon on the way down. I will be working at the Rivi on Thursday evening making wings!
Starlyte, hope to see lots of pictures since I will miss it.
Love to all and be safe driving. Watch out for the other guy!

Mary that really sucks that you can't make it.

I'm photographing AND video. They'll be put together on a DVD. I'll mail you one.

Jack got his ride after all. Cool.

Have fun at the Riv with everyone next Thursday night.

trailangelmary
10-05-2006, 12:25
Thanks Starlyte

peanuts
10-05-2006, 12:49
I won't be making it either. Before moving to GA, I could not get time off from work in Chicago to attend. Now lack of funds keep me from going to the Gathering:mad::mad: Maybe next year(yeh famous last words)....:datz

Sly
10-05-2006, 13:32
I won't be making it either. Before moving to GA, I could not get time off from work in Chicago to attend. Now lack of funds keep me from going to the Gathering:mad::mad: Maybe next year(yeh famous last words)....:datz

If I'm not mistaken it's going to be held in Gettysburg next year. Maybe we can do a re-enactment!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-05-2006, 14:00
Unless the male dino attempts to slice off another finger or other unforseen circumstances occur, the dinos will be frolicking at the gathering this year. Can we arrive on Thursday and set up camp? Also, can we drive to our campsite to unload or do we need to pack out to the campsite?

Sly
10-05-2006, 14:17
Unless the male dino attempts to slice off another finger or other unforseen circumstances occur, the dinos will be frolicking at the gathering this year. Can we arrive on Thursday and set up camp? Also, can we drive to our campsite to unload or do we need to pack out to the campsite?

The Folk Life center camping area is a big field. On Thursday you should have no problem pulling up near where you can camp. It's $5 per night if you come in earlier than Friday, payable to the FLC.

tiamalle
10-05-2006, 20:03
Damn, I wish I could be there.Sarg,You and yore crew of guys ease out some nite and pen up Osama Bin Hidding and set eez whiskers afar,send me the proper e-mail address and I'll send a hi]]bille post to em so at you can come to tha getherin.:o

Panzer1
10-05-2006, 20:28
I know there is a BBQ on saturday night. But does anyone know if the college has an all-u-can-eat breakfast in the cafeteria on saturday morning?? I think that their cafeteria was open the last time we were there.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
10-06-2006, 05:27
I thought the BBQ was Sat. lunchtime? And yes breakfast is AYCE each morning in the campus dining hall. Was last time anyway.

StarLyte
10-06-2006, 06:29
I thought the BBQ was Sat. lunchtime? And yes breakfast is AYCE each morning in the campus dining hall. Was last time anyway.

That's the way I read the schedule also LW.

Keep up with the website. There has been a few changes.

Friday night's presentation will NOT be in the auditorium but in the ballroom. The auditorium is under construction and are over their deadline.

ALL evening programs and business meetings will be held in the ballroom.

The SMALL University gymnasium will be the location of "Hiker Central." This is the location for the Hiker Fair, Gathering Information Desk.

I don't know if the website is updated yet. Don't worry though, when you check in at the registration desk, you'll receive your ALDHA information packet.

Any of us there early will know what's happening as well.

Sly
10-06-2006, 09:03
The auditorium is out? Bummer, I liked that room.

Sly
10-06-2006, 09:09
Yup on the schedule ... 12:15-1:45 Bluegrass and BBQ

SawnieRobertson
10-06-2006, 10:09
Yup on the schedule ... 12:15-1:45 Bluegrass and BBQ

Oka. We're going to feast on barbecue at noon on Saturday. We are going to have the ALDHA picture taken at noon on Saturday. We are going to have the AT-L, Women Hikers, and the WhiteBlaze shots at noon.

I'm may get indigestion.

bfitz
10-06-2006, 15:18
Bluegrass and BBQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will there be a whole pig?

Do they use vinegar or tomato bbq sauce in West VA?

Panzer1
10-06-2006, 21:51
Does any one know what kind of BBQ it's going to be? What are they having? I just trying to plan on what food I need to bring.

Panzer

Jack Tarlin
10-06-2006, 21:56
Panzer, for Chrissake, it's a big-ass Bar-B-Q, catered and covered for guests, assuming you pay the nominal fee.

You don't have to bring anything.

But since you asked, I'm a Cole Slaw fiend.

Bring a bucket.

Panzer1
10-07-2006, 00:31
right now gas is going for about $2.219 gallon. Not bad since it was recently over $3 a gallon. Gas actually cost more at last years gathering.

Here's what I paid for gas at previous gatherings going back to year 2001.

oct 2005 $2.899
oct 2004 $1.999
oct 2003 $1.699
oct 2002 $1.399
oct 2001 $1.299

Panzer
ps. I actually saved all this crap on my PC

StarLyte
10-07-2006, 09:08
Panzer, for Chrissake, it's a big-ass Bar-B-Q, catered and covered for guests, assuming you pay the nominal fee.

You don't have to bring anything.

But since you asked, I'm a Cole Slaw fiend.

Bring a bucket.

.....and Little Debbie

StarLyte
10-07-2006, 09:12
.....I'm off to the Wild and Wonderful West Virginia state.......

Doing a little road trip.....chillin out for a while.....then I'll be down at Folklife on Wednesday.

Trying to talk Jack and others into cookin up something for dinner on Thursday at Folklife. Have anything you want to contribute....bring it. I haven't a clue what we'll make. No chili - thus......no fartsies.....got it???

Keep you all informed on here as I see it, hear it, feel it and smell it :-?

Panzer1
10-08-2006, 00:52
according to WEATHER.COM it's going down to 32 degrees friday night at the gathering. Better bing an extra blanket.

Panzer

eArThworm
10-08-2006, 11:00
The SMALL University gymnasium will be the location of "Hiker Central." This is the location for the Hiker Fair, Gathering Information Desk.
Didn't know there were TWO gyms. Where, exactly, is the SMALL gym, and where is the OTHER gym in relation to that???

Also...does anyone remember enough about the layout of the MUS 105 room to be able to tell me how many people it seats? I think it has orchestra risers as part of the floor space?

Sly
10-08-2006, 12:15
according to WEATHER.COM it's going down to 32 degrees friday night at the gathering. Better bing an extra blanket.

Panzer

Good time to break out the Gore-Tex! Atleast, the propects of rain are low.

Panzer1
10-08-2006, 21:42
Good time to break out the Gore-Tex! Atleast, the propects of rain are low.

Yea, last year we could have used a canoe.

Panzer

RhymeandReason
10-09-2006, 22:33
Wow, we do wish we could go. We have too much other stuff going on. We miss everything about the trail. Have fun!

fiddlehead
10-09-2006, 23:39
I'm heading down from PA on Friday. Anyone need a ride? PM me, i have room for one.

MedicineMan
10-10-2006, 01:51
if any need a lift let me know....wont be coming back until Mon. evening though, plan to paddle on Bluestone Lake while so close.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-10-2006, 07:49
according to WEATHER.COM it's going down to 32 degrees friday night at the gathering. Better bing an extra blanket.::: packs large down comforter and digs out wool sweaters, gloves and hats :::

C'est La Vie
10-10-2006, 22:50
I plan on going. It will be my first gathering. Looking forward to it.

Sly
10-10-2006, 23:23
I plan on going. It will be my first gathering. Looking forward to it.

1st Gathering? That's great! You're in for the best time! Be sure to try to make it by 7PM Friday for the opening....

Long feet
10-11-2006, 11:55
It will be my first as well. Unfortunately, I will be coming in pretty late as I have to work on Friday and then drive down after work. What will I be missing on Friday night?

1st Gathering? That's great! You're in for the best time! Be sure to try to make it by 7PM Friday for the opening....

Alligator
10-11-2006, 11:58
It will be my first as well. Unfortunately, I will be coming in pretty late as I have to work on Friday and then drive down after work. What will I be missing on Friday night?Cake......

Long feet
10-11-2006, 13:27
Cake......

As a great Greek philosopher once said "Doh!":D

StarLyte
10-11-2006, 16:00
Hello Friends---

Myself and the Weathercarrot are sitting here inside of Pipestem State Park Lodge taking advantage of the free wifi......bad coffee.......

The temps are dropping temporarily here.....damp....cool.....bring additional clothing to keep warm and dry. Very scattered rain clouds. The entire day might have felt a brief sprinkle.

JoJo, Nomad, Skeeter, Singer are the only ones here at the moment, others will be pulling in soon. eArThworm, Kinnickicinic, Hummingbird & Dutch Treat, are supposed to be here at the park, we'll look for them as we leave here.

We are set up at Folklife - and it is BEAUTIFUL !

Looking forward to seeing most of you soon.

I'll update tomorrow.

bfitz
10-11-2006, 21:06
Hello Friends---

Myself and the Weathercarrot are sitting here inside of Pipestem State Park Lodge taking advantage of the free wifi......bad coffee.......

The temps are dropping temporarily here.....damp....cool.....bring additional clothing to keep warm and dry. Very scattered rain clouds. The entire day might have felt a brief sprinkle.

JoJo, Nomad, Skeeter, Singer are the only ones here at the moment, others will be pulling in soon. eArThworm, Kinnickicinic, Hummingbird & Dutch Treat, are supposed to be here at the park, we'll look for them as we leave here.

We are set up at Folklife - and it is BEAUTIFUL !

Looking forward to seeing most of you soon.

I'll update tomorrow.
I'll see ya up there tomorrow sometime. I can't wait for my special german sandwich thingy, and my dessert brownie!

Krewzer
10-11-2006, 21:54
...leavin' in the morning. See y'all tomorrow.

Panzer1
10-12-2006, 01:13
We are heading down Thursday after work. Stopping overnight at the Doyle. See you all there.

Panzer

Tha Wookie
10-12-2006, 07:45
I just posted a new thread about the Trail Magic Panel Discussion to take place on Saturday. check it out. I'll be there for sure.

Blister
10-12-2006, 07:56
Leaving outta nH in the next couple hours and will hit the doyle tonight. Will leave from there bright and early for the rest of the journey to W. VA
Cant wait to see everyone, I'll be the hot, skinny chick wearing clothes that are way to big for me. Peace out and safe travels all!!!!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-12-2006, 08:35
Dinos will be leaving around noon and will be camped at the Folklife center this evening. We are bringing the car camping equipment (AKA the mobile taj mahal :D) and will have an extra 9 x 10' cabin style tent along if anyone has a serious gear failure.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2006, 09:12
I just posted a new thread about the Trail Magic Panel Discussion to take place on Saturday. check it out. I'll be there for sure.

In all seriousness, what needs to be discussed about "trail magic"? Hiker feeds like Billville in Duncannon take place well OFF the AT and other "magic" takes place at road crossings. Just don't leave stuff unattended and clean up after. End of discussion.:)

MOWGLI
10-12-2006, 09:18
In all seriousness, what needs to be discussed about "trail magic"?

The folks assembled in the panel are definitely worth listening to. I plan to sit in.

Lone Wolf
10-12-2006, 09:23
I'll probably sit in too but really don't understand what needs to be discussed.

Tha Wookie
10-12-2006, 09:43
In all seriousness, what needs to be discussed about "trail magic"? Hiker feeds like Billville in Duncannon take place well OFF the AT and other "magic" takes place at road crossings. Just don't leave stuff unattended and clean up after. End of discussion.:)

Very legitimate point, LW.

I didn't put the panel together myself, but I have seen the handout that will be available explaining what the dicsussion is about, and why it ought to be discussed. I'm not sure if it's finalized, so I'll let you pick one up there instead of posting it now.

But in sum....

There certainly is no effort to make any regulations or to stop great events like the Doyle hiker feed. It's not about restricting any behavior of any sort.

I think it's more of an attempt to established a focused dialogue with stakeholders in the AT experience about an issue that has raised some concerns about the impacts of organized trail magic events, and how they can be mitigated without unnessesary regulation (like education about animals getting into coolers, and trash left in camps, etc.).

My sense from hearing some panelist opinions already is that everyone appreciates all trail magic activities, and are willing to listen to thoughts and ideas of how these can continue in the future, in line with the AT experience that the ATC promotes.

They called me in to be a hiker representative on the panel. So speak your mind LW, and everyone else. I'll help relay it.

Tha Wookie
10-12-2006, 10:15
For this year's ALDHA Gathering, the ATC has put together a panel of people together to facilitate a discussion about the progression of trail magic from "small, spontaneous acts of kindness" to current forms like pre-planned trail magic events and how it relates to the AT experience.

This is your chance to be involved in an Applachian Trail discussion that matters. In person.

Each panelist will make a statement, and then the floor will be open for statements from anyone.

Our panel session is in the Subway (basement of the Student Center): Saturday, 11:15-12:15. You are encouraged to attend and participate.

Panel Members:

Laurie Potteiger
Moderator, ATC Staff

Dr. Jeff Marion
Scientist (Recreation ecologist/Leading expert on Leave No Trace, A.T.section hiker), ATC Stewardship council

Hawk Metheny
ATC (Stewardship Council Chair), A.T. thru-hiker

Pete Irvine
Agency Partner (Appalachian Trail Park Office USFS Liaison), Trail maintainer

Ray Ronin
Trail angel (off-trail feed-a-thon in the Bigelows), A.T. thru-hiker, MATC maintainer

Nate Olive, M.A.
A.T. thru-hiker, PCT, West Coast Trail, CT, Ph.D. candidate, active WhiteBlaze poster

Dr. Kip Redick
Spiritual/Philosophical Dimension (Professor of Religion and Philosophy at Christopher Newport University)

And you

StarLyte
10-12-2006, 11:52
Hello again friends-here at the Appalachian Folklife Center, Gathering update.......

Lots of firewood at the Folklife Center for the bonfire-can't wait for Friday & Saturday nights. There's a new sign for the center - you'll see it at the end of road, it's on their website too.

Had a great night in the main building at Folklife - good company....Billy Goat, Bear Bell, Weathercarrot, Noah, Jim, Tim, Skeeter....others pulled in last night at the State Park: LWOP, Mama Lipton, Wingheart a few others. Sly and Baltimore Jack to pull in around 1pm-ish.

Gusts of wind, rain, but nothing severe last night, no one complained of wet tents. Cooked a big pot of oatmeal this morning with sunflower & raisins, hot coffee. All of us again gathered in the main building, others are off rafting on the New River. Some of us cancelled.

Cool....but the sun is shining brightly, slim chance of rain today. Very pretty outside.

Off to store to buy some dinner stuff......Jack doesn't know it yet but he's cookin.....

Great day to be here. And no....there isn't wifi at the Folklife Center, I'm sitting here Pipestem Lodge, right next to a fireplace :)

peanuts
10-12-2006, 11:57
Well StarLyte, I am glad you and the rest are having a good time.....
I get to miss it ..... again....:((.....make sure to follow up with a full report and lots and lots of pictures.....

Everyone enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Trillium
10-12-2006, 22:35
if you see fishinfred, be sure to tell him it was snowing here today and in mid-afternoon, we looked outside and it was practically a blizzard. 1/2 hr later the sun was out. :sun

also tell him the Tigers won the first 2 in Oakland :D

Alligator
10-13-2006, 09:20
Clear skies, frost this morning, temp at 31F. Bring some warm clothes and sleeping gear.

StarLyte
10-14-2006, 10:21
Cold and frosty this Saturday morning-full campground at Folklife. Here at the college taking advantage of the wifi.....lots of Whiteblazers here. I'll give Fishin Fred your message.

A large turnout this year for the Gathering.

Friday night presentation was awesome.

I haven't taken any pictures. I sure hope Old Fhart and Walkin Home is taking them.

It's going to be a great day - warmer, bbq, and the bonfire tonight.

Sitting here with Woody. See ya'll

emerald
10-14-2006, 22:40
Due to work-related circumstances beyond my control, I needed to remain at home in the event I am needed:(, but I did manage to get in a hike on the A.T. yesterday.:)

TOW
10-15-2006, 09:30
wish i could have went...........had to work...........

Lone Wolf
10-15-2006, 15:20
Back from the Gathering. A great time was had by all. It's still going on. Weathercarrot did a superb job of putting together 25 years worth of photos, slides, video, etc. to create the 25th anniversary of ALDHA dvd. Great job Gregory!:) Jeffery Hunter (MOWGLI16), did the feature program last night on the Great Eastern Trail stretching from NY to Florida connecting to other trails to form a 5,000 mile interconnected network of trails. There's some really cool stuff just west of the AT. He had a great slide show to go with his talk. A lot of work goes into putting on the ALDHA Gathering. There were around 500 folks there throughout the weekend. Lotsa old faces and some new ones. Looks like next year's Gathering is gonna be held at Gettysburg College in Gettysburg, Pa. Y'all make an effort to get there and join ALDHA. It's a great organization. Thanks Warren.

ShakeyLeggs
10-15-2006, 16:16
Great it is gonna be in my area. Last time I was able to make it to one it was here in Carlisle PA. I am looking forward to attending another one.

Cookerhiker
10-15-2006, 16:56
Sounds like a worthwhile event - sorry I missed it (due to family obligations). Leaving tomorrow heading SW for some hiking near Damascus plus NC & TN. Maybe I'll run into some of you...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-16-2006, 09:28
The dinos survived the ALDHA gathering. While it was pretty chilly a couple of nights - 23 F with 15 - 20 mph wind one night - we were a couple of toasty reptiles.

Saw many old faces and met some new ones. Finally met bfitz, hopeful hiker and got a long overdue hug from gypsy (she's always been busy when I've seen her before). The proud papa, Baltimore Jack, and I shared several hugs and laughs (despite how things look in the political forum, we really are friendly - well, most of the time :p). Jack has been going without his signature knee braces for several days and the knees were giving him some trouble - been there / done that - hang in there Jack, the strengthening of the muscles around the knees you get from going without the braces really is worth it.

I talked at length with Miss Janet about the impending paternity suit in regard to Fabyan's pups :D. Miss Janet brought a young dreamer from her hostel, Ben, who is section hiking now in prep for a thru next spring. Fiddlehead was camped right in front of our tent, but we never did see him or the goat. Met matthewski (mweinstone). Sly has gone uptown on us and had a butler in a tux at his tent's door. StarLyte was as lovely as always - she's beautiful inside and out. Mother Nature, Smokestack and Hammock Hanger were there. Mother Nature's back was not doing well - she recently did the Foothills trail in SC. Woke up every morning to Mala's famous cowboy coffee and conversation. ( and pondered the old question - why do people drink city coffee from syrofoam cups when this is available?)

Briefly touched base with a lot of WB'ers - bearbag hanger, zulu, hikerhead, twofiddy, pilgram, kinnickiki (sp?), mowgli, skeeter and many, many more that I'll remember after some morning coffee.

Had a wonderful time and learned a lot. Six Moon has a new double model coming out that looks great - similar in size and weight to Shire's double rainbow, but sets up with two hiking poles on either side that fit into a couple of rounded T's - great design.

Got one of Fishing Fred's new WB logo stickers - these are really nice.

Hammock Hanger
10-16-2006, 16:59
Had a wonderful time. Great seeing old friends, putting a face on a cyber-friend and meeting/making new friends.

Sly
10-16-2006, 17:23
Sly has gone uptown on us and had a butler in a tux at his tent's door.

What, everyone doesn't have their own butler? I must live a sheltered life...

Panzer1
10-16-2006, 21:39
Well, the weather was a lot better than the last Gathering (the rainy one). No rain... I never needed to put up that new canopy that I just bought for this Gathering. It probably would have just blown away. I'll bring it to the RUCK in January. It rained briefly at the last RUCK.

This Gathering was the windy Gathering. Lots of people got "wind burn" on their faces. At least us city people did. I saw at least 6 tents blow away on Saturday. Matthewski was kept busy retrieving the tents and staking them back down while everyone was at the college. If your tent was somewhere else when you came back, It was because of the wind got it. At one point my truck was actually chased across the field by a big orange dome tent.

I guess our next get together will be the PA RUCK in January. That's only about 3 hours drive for me. A short drive compared the 11 hours to get home from the Gathering in WV... If the next Gathering is in Gettysburg I'll be very happy.

Actually the drive down to the Gathering was more fun because we got to stop over at the Doyle and do some heavy partying. It helps to break up that long drive.

Panzer
(don't party during daylight hours!!!)

the goat
10-16-2006, 22:15
At one point my truck was actually chased across the field by a big orange dome tent.

panzer- that was one of the funniest things i saw all weekend! that tent took a turn and headed right for you, it was amazing it didn't hit your truck as fast as it came at you. matthewski and i were dying laughing.:D

StarLyte
10-16-2006, 22:48
The highlight of the Gathering was having a conversation with Gene Espy. I'd like to spend a few days with him; listen to his hiking stories.

Second best thing is that I met Billy Goat.

The only thing(s) I would have changed at the Gathering would have been the weather and extending the days. There is not enough time to attend all my favorite forums PLUS socializing.

Friday night's presentation blew me away. THEN I experienced Saturday night's presentation. Mowgli---you are an excellent spokesperson. I could say more, but I don't think anyone would understand, so tell your wife to give you a big hug for a job well done. I have new ideas on hiking, and so excited about the new trail networks.

I really enjoyed meeting Hammock Hanger (though very briefly), Frolicking Dinosaurs, Matthewski, The Goat, Hemingway, Krewzer, Medicine Man, Fishin' Fred, Singer, so many others......I cannot remember them all.

Walkin'Home & Old Fhart are a lot of fun. Wait until you see the surprise we have for Whiteblaze.

Panzer if you think that night was windy, you should have been there Wednesday night. We put a tarp over my tent and had to tie it to a tree. The wind caused the tarp to slap real hard all night. Then the dogs howled. Then it rained hard, temps dropped.

Jack...thank you ;)

Thanks to everyone that made donations to the Appalachian Folklife Center.

Loved spending time with friends and old friends. Never enough time. Parting is very hard for me.

Hopefully, next year, the Gathering will be in Gettysburg. ALDHA board members will tour the college and grounds early spring and make decisions on this.

Warren Doyle - I have your name tag. You were most definitely missed. You have affected Appalachian Trail history. You have positively affected my life. Thank you.....sincerely.

ed bell
10-16-2006, 23:49
The highlight of the Gathering was having a conversation with Gene Espy. I'd like to spend a few days with him; listen to his hiking stories. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=237682&postcount=1
Just a quick cross reference. Glad you had a good time StarLyte!

RAT
10-17-2006, 01:26
My first Gathering, was really wonderful to get to see so many of my hikertrash friends that I havent seen in so long ! Thanks everyone for making it happen !

HAIRNT !

RAT

bfitz
10-17-2006, 07:05
What, everyone doesn't have their own butler? I must live a sheltered life...
I know you have the soul of a thru-hiker trapped inside that thing.

Krewzer
10-17-2006, 10:05
My first Gathering. Until this past weekend, I've only been a dues contributing member. Kind of like only going to church on Easter Sunday for appearance sake. Just thought it was a pretty good organization, a lot of hikers said good things about ALDHA, and it looked like the group did some good things.
This weekend I finally saw what was under the hood of this 25 year old hiking jalopy.
HOLY COW, BATMAN!!! By far, this is the best hiker related organization I belong to and didn't even know it. It is all about the hiker, hiking and hiking trails. It's all about friends. It's all about keeping in touch. It's all about sharing. It's all about, as they say, "the Dream".

By far this is best hiker event I've ever attended. I can't possibly name everyone I got to visit with, listen to, see or dance with. But it was great to meet Starlyte, the Frolickin' Dino's, Billy Goat, Captain America (2000), Kentucky Jack, Blueberry & Cat in the Hat, Cie les Vie (sp?), Missing Tinks, Patagonia and many many more.

Bought the tee shirt, the kerchief, the neck wallet thingy, a window sticker, 6 cookies, 2 brownies, and won a NikWax Down care kit. Also, joined the American Hiking Society (Long overdue I might add).

Attended the 'trail magic' discussion. Excellent and well timed discussion. I'm hoping this will get a very long thread of it's on here on WB. I personally am having some reservations about what I'm doing with the magic thing.

Also, attended the meeting of the board about the AT Museum. They need help guys. Though a charter member, for various reasons I'm not very well informed on what's going on with that. But my impression is, it looks like too few people with way too much to do. After letting it lapse, I'm going to renew my membership. I hope others will do the same.

My favorite things, in no particular order: Weather Carrot's film, the ALDHA general meeting, Al Wohlpart's Camino de Santiago presentation, everything Bob Peoples' had to say, the Contra/Square dance, a hug from Miss Janet, catching Sly's butler taking a smoke break, winning a door prize and meeting lots new friends.

I apologize for letting this get long, but it was such a fantastic experience I couldn't help myself...and could on a whole lot more.

Lone Wolf
10-17-2006, 10:10
I agree with Krewzer. The ALDHA Gathering is the best hiker event followed by the various rucks. Trail Days sucks anymore. Me and Gypsy are going out of town during Trail Days 07. Too big and commercial.

StarLyte
10-17-2006, 10:16
I agree with Krewzer. The ALDHA Gathering is the best hiker event followed by the various rucks. Trail Days sucks anymore. Me and Gypsy are going out of town during Trail Days 07. Too big and commercial.

I too prefer the Gathering and Rucks. I mainly attend Trail Days to catch up with thru-hikers and friends. This past Trail Days was a totally different experience for me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 10:27
I know you have the soul of a thru-hiker trapped inside that thing.:eek: I think you are right (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Butler.jpg) :eek:

MOWGLI
10-17-2006, 10:36
:eek: I think you are right (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Butler.jpg) :eek:

"He wore a raspberry beret. The kind you find in a second hand store. He wore a raspberry beret. If it was warm, he wouldn't wear much more."

MOWGLI
10-17-2006, 10:42
Good to see so many folks at The Gathering! Alligator, eArThworm, Wookie, Lone Wolf & Gypsy, Krewzer, Hokey Pokey, Baltimore Jack, Sly (briefly), Hammock Hanger, The Folicking Dinos, The Goat, Old Fhart, Walking Home, Two Fiddy, Fiddlehead, Starlyte, and many many more! Good times!

I look forward to seeing SGT Rock stateside next year.

Ewker
10-17-2006, 10:57
maybe next yr I can make this. Right now looking forward to the Soruck in Jan

The Old Fhart
10-17-2006, 11:06
MOWGLI16-""He wore a raspberry beret. The kind you find in a second hand store. He wore a raspberry beret. If it was warm, he wouldn't wear much more.""....and the photo the Dinos posted is of "The Thru-Hiker Formally Known As Sly";)

Sly
10-17-2006, 11:11
....and the photo the Dinos posted is of "The Thru-Hiker Formally Known As Sly";)

LOL... Someone needs to take FD's photoshop machine away. She's used it one too many times! :p

The Solemates
10-17-2006, 11:14
I'm upset I missed it. I had tentative plans of attending, but was not able to at the last minute due other things that popped up. Any idea of a location for next year? Either way, see everyone at the SoRuck...

Sly
10-17-2006, 11:22
I'm upset I missed it. I had tentative plans of attending, but was not able to at the last minute due other things that popped up. Any idea of a location for next year? Either way, see everyone at the SoRuck...

Normally it would be in Hanover, but for various reasons that town may have seen it's last Gathering. The board's is hoping to get Gettysburg College, PA

Ewker
10-17-2006, 11:24
Normally it would be in Hanover, but for various reasons that town may have seen it's last Gathering. The board's is hoping to get Gettysburg College, PA

Why has Hanover seen it's last Gathering?

Lone Wolf
10-17-2006, 11:32
Why has Hanover seen it's last Gathering?

Cuz Dartmouth is too uppity and wants more $$ out of ALDHA for less services. Never did like Hanover.

Sly
10-17-2006, 11:46
Cuz Dartmouth is too uppity and wants more $$ out of ALDHA for less services. Never did like Hanover.

Yup and the campground started shutting off the water the week before the Gathering.

LEGS
10-17-2006, 12:25
Just As I Was About To Enter Interstate 70 After Leaving The College And A Great Group Of Hikers And Friends, I Pulled Over To The Side Of The Road And Got Out To Remove A Heavy Shirt I Had Worn To Keep Warm Earlier. This Car Stops The Window Comes Down And Someone Says You Ok, I Said Yes,explained What I Was Doing To Prepare For The Long Ride Home, And She Says, "just What I Thought,a Hiker Dressin Down For The Ride Home". Then She Intoduces Herself And Gives Me The Application For The North Carolina A-t License Plates. Now Thats Trail Majic At The Roadside. A Hiker Stoppin To Help A Hiker Even When Ya Yellow Blazing. Many Thanks Moonshadow, Look Foreward To Seein Ya Again Someday Out On The Trails.
It Was A Great Gathering And Reunion With Old Friends And Meeting Of New Ones. Thank You Aldha, Keep Up The Fine Work.

Tha Wookie
10-17-2006, 12:29
Good to see so many folks at The Gathering! Alligator, eArThworm, Wookie, Lone Wolf & Gypsy, Krewzer, Hokey Pokey, Baltimore Jack, Sly (briefly), Hammock Hanger, The Folicking Dinos, The Goat, Old Fhart, Walking Home, Two Fiddy, Fiddlehead, Starlyte, and many many more! Good times!

I look forward to seeing SGT Rock stateside next year.

Alligator was there? shucks!

I had a great time too. Met an enormous amount of faces I've always wondered about. ALDHA rocks.

Killer presentation, Jeff!

Sly
10-17-2006, 12:30
Hey Legs, good meeting/seeing you again!

the goat
10-17-2006, 12:32
:eek: I think you are right (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Butler.jpg):eek:

:D classic, that one's priceless!:D

Sly
10-17-2006, 12:33

It's amazing how many people you don't run into, nevermind have time to talk to.

Blister
10-17-2006, 12:46
Myself, Packrat, Woody and Ffej made it back from the Gathreing to NH last night. We are already missing everyone and have buried ourselves in work and projects around the hostel. The weekend was far too short as I wish I could spend more time with everyone!! Its scary that I am back on the board of directors, but we all must give back somehow. Great seeing the remaining blue blazers, the billville crew (at least the ones who didn't bail last minute) and everyone else. I really missed not being on the AT this year, but then again I wouldn't trade my experience for all the money in the world.
A very enjoyable weekend, perhaps next time I will get lucky;)

Alligator
10-17-2006, 13:04

I had a great time too. Met an enormous amount of faces I've always wondered about. ALDHA rocks.

Killer presentation, Jeff!
I was sitting two over from you at the fire! The Goat said "Pass this down to 'Gator". I didn't want to interupt your fishhook story! I'll see you next time around.

Sly I didn't see though, I think he was inside somewhere Sat. night.

For the record, I drank my Moxie and it tastes to me a bit like Tilt.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-17-2006, 13:13
I missed the 'gator and fiddlehead. However, spent a lot of time with Krewser and Legs.

The Old Fhart
10-17-2006, 14:10
Alligator-"For the record, I drank my Moxie and it tastes to me a bit like Tilt."1005
When you told me that, with your accent I thought you said it tasted a bit like silt!;)

MOWGLI
10-17-2006, 15:22

Yup! And so was W?, whoever he and his twin brother is. ;)

warren doyle
10-17-2006, 16:39
L. Wolf and Starlyte - I appreciate your kind thoughts. I'm glad you enjoyed the Gathering.
My mind was full of ALDHA thoughts (24 years worth) as I walked from Rt. 16 to Burkes Garden over the weekend, along with a waltz workshop/contra dance in Jonesborough, TN.
Happy trails!

Sly
10-17-2006, 16:58
L. Wolf and Starlyte - I appreciate your kind thoughts. I'm glad you enjoyed the Gathering.
My mind was full of ALDHA thoughts (24 years worth) as I walked from Rt. 16 to Burkes Garden over the weekend, along with a waltz workshop/contra dance in Jonesborough, TN.
Happy trails!

What was kind of interesting is, during the discussion on raising the dues to $10 per year/$200 lifetime, is whether you'd agree or not. Some voiced their opinion and said "no way" would Warren agree while others thought you'd back it realizing times are changing and costs are going up.

Tha Wookie
10-17-2006, 17:53
I was sitting two over from you at the fire! The Goat said "Pass this down to 'Gator". I didn't want to interupt your fishhook story! I'll see you next time around.

Hey! My story wasn't THAT long!

;)

It was great, by the way, to at one point to realize that we had the Goat, Jack, Sly, Bfitz, Jester, Mowgli, and many others in one place at one time. My most dominating thought was "wow - it must be so peaceful right now on Whiteblaze!"

C'est La Vie
10-17-2006, 20:51
I too enjoyed my first Gathering. It was great seeing some old friends and meeting many more new. The work shops were inspiring. Sorry I missed the fish hook story (too much dancing), but did catch some good ones and got a gummy boob as well. Plan on not being away from the trail as much in the future. Thanks to all who put in the effort to make it such an enjoyable experience.

Panzer1
10-17-2006, 23:05
panzer- that was one of the funniest things i saw all weekend! that tent took a turn and headed right for you, it was amazing it didn't hit your truck as fast as it came at you. matthewski and i were dying laughing.:D

Yea, we were trying to leave in my truck when that big dome tent blew all the way from the bottom of the field straight for the front of my truck which was in about the middle of the field. I put the truck in reverse and tried to out run it. I was doing about 15 MPH in reverse and the tent was still gaining on me. I didn't want it to hit my truck because I was affraid the tent poles would scratch it. Finally I manuvered the truck a little to the side some and the tent was then on a parallel course to my truck. I had enought so I slammed the breaks on and jumped out and grabbed the tent just as it was catching up to me.. Matthewski took over from there and steaked it down again. Who the tent belonged to I don't know. But it seemed that the tent survived. I bet the owner must have been supprised when he came back and his tent was nowhere near where he left it.

Panzer

Wonder
10-18-2006, 16:54
The gathering was a wonderful experience! As a rookie, it was great meeting people who were not on the AT this year (Blister, Pack, ffej.....I'm coming to see you this winter, ready or not!) and catching up with the friends I had made throughout the year. It was like being home! Actually, I wouldn't mind living in the dome! I miss everyone already!

Alligator
10-18-2006, 17:03
It sounded like everyone was sick in the dome;) .

StarLyte
10-18-2006, 17:10
On Saturday I stepped into the dome and it was great. Redneck Rye had a nice stove in there......chairs.....great to get out of the cold. I couldn't get close enough to the campfire to keep warm so I went into the dome. Afterwards I RAN to the main building to warm up with Billy Goat on the couch :D

Alligator
10-18-2006, 17:15
I exaggerate, but I'd be extra cautious this week. Don't hesitate to get checked out. Someone in there sounded like they had a bad case of bronchitis.

StarLyte
10-18-2006, 17:24
It sounded like everyone was sick in the dome;) .

Hey Gator it's called.........smoker's cough.

Speaking of smoke, you were sitting up pretty close to that campfire.....

Alligator
10-18-2006, 17:40
Hey Gator it's called.........smoker's cough.

Speaking of smoke, you were sitting up pretty close to that campfire.....Indeed! I'm going to have to check to see if I melted my gloves.

the goat
10-18-2006, 23:08
Hey! My story wasn't THAT long!

;)

It was great, by the way, to at one point to realize that we had the Goat, Jack, Sly, Bfitz, Jester, Mowgli, and many others in one place at one time. My most dominating thought was "wow - it must be so peaceful right now on Whiteblaze!"

lol! i fully expected to arrive home sunday night, log on, and find only 2 new posts.:D

it was such a great time, i enjoyed your fishhook story too, wook. i had a great time hanging out w/ everyone by the fire, i'd do that every weekend if i could!

Tha Wookie
10-18-2006, 23:57
lol! i fully expected to arrive home sunday night, log on, and find only 2 new posts.:D

it was such a great time, i enjoyed your fishhook story too, wook. i had a great time hanging out w/ everyone by the fire, i'd do that every weekend if i could!

Well, since you mentioned it, we are having a campout party here at the Roots farm this Friday. All are invited.

There will be Roots home brew, and live music provided by Grogus (www.grogus.net).

Check out our fancy new website at www.rootsfarm.org

Life is good.

fiddlehead
10-18-2006, 23:58
Yeah, it was a great weekend. I met so many whiteblazers i can't remember them all. But they were all good. Sorry i never met the Dinosaurs, you say i was next to you in my tent. So, i heard you but was out early every morning.
The campfire was definitely my highlight (as usual) as i haven't gone to any seminars in the last few years. It was my 15th gathering and because of whiteblaze, a very memorable one as i can now put some faces to all these names. (of course i'll mix them up but i remember that Bfitz and i did some jammin ) ( i think)

LEGS
10-19-2006, 00:36
good meetin seein you to mr. sly, ya goin to the ruk? if ya are will be meetin seein ya AGAIN.

bfitz
10-19-2006, 01:18
Yeah, it was a great weekend. I met so many whiteblazers i can't remember them all. But they were all good. Sorry i never met the Dinosaurs, you say i was next to you in my tent. So, i heard you but was out early every morning.
The campfire was definitely my highlight (as usual) as i haven't gone to any seminars in the last few years. It was my 15th gathering and because of whiteblaze, a very memorable one as i can now put some faces to all these names. (of course i'll mix them up but i remember that Bfitz and i did some jammin ) ( i think)
15th Gathering!?!? Holy Cow! Jammin with you was fun despite my frozen fingers...That b-minor song was sweet! Did you write that one?

It was truly a blast partying with all the whiteblazers! And whiteblazers know how to party...long after the mere mortals have gone to bed! You guys are even more fun in person.

"Fishhooked" was good Wookie, but nothing beat Sqwatch's "the Longest Mile"...

max patch
10-19-2006, 07:32
What was kind of interesting is, during the discussion on raising the dues to $10 per year/$200 lifetime, is whether you'd agree or not. Some voiced their opinion and said "no way" would Warren agree while others thought you'd back it realizing times are changing and costs are going up.

Actually - and remember I disagree with just about everything WD says and does on this website - as founder of ALDHA he should be given the title of Chairman Emeritas or something similar and be given a lifetime membership.

TJ aka Teej
10-19-2006, 07:48
Glad to hear all had a great time! Funny to read it was warmer at Katahdin. Gettysburg sounds like a great idea, raise the dues if needs be - but give members a 'last chance' to become lifers at the old rate, sad but not surprised to hear Doyle would rather sulk than attend the anniversary Gathering, hope somehow the Magic gets back in trail magic, and I'm looking forward to next October!

fiddlehead
10-19-2006, 08:37
15th Gathering!?!? Holy Cow! Jammin with you was fun despite my frozen fingers...That b-minor song was sweet! Did you write that one?

No, that was from the new Chili Peppers album and is called "hey"
Always great to jam with talented lead guitarists. Especially with a washtub bass man playing along. Yeah, that sure was fun.
I really appreciate the gatherings for the reunion aspect. I see so many old hiking friends and meet new ones too. especially now that i'm on whiteblaze.

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 08:39
No, that was from the new Chili Peppers album and is called "hey"
Always great to jam with talented lead guitarists. Especially with a washtub bass man playing along. Yeah, that sure was fun.
I really appreciate the gatherings for the reunion aspect. I see so many old hiking friends and meet new ones too. especially now that i'm on whiteblaze.

Did you jam some Floyd tunes? I hit the tent early on Saturday. I could have provided vocals.:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-19-2006, 08:50
....whiteblazers know how to party...long after the mere mortals have gone to bed!Now I know why we missed each other. Signed, A mere mortal

Alligator
10-19-2006, 08:50
Did you jam some Floyd tunes? I hit the tent early on Saturday. I could have provided vocals.:)"The lunatic is on the grass...":p

StarLyte
10-19-2006, 09:42
"The lunatic is on the grass...":p

HA ha that's great Gator :D

fiddlehead
10-19-2006, 16:36
I think we did one Floyd song. It was all a bit hazy if you know what i mean.

Hikerhead
10-19-2006, 17:51
I think we did one Floyd song. It was all a bit hazy if you know what i mean.

I heard it, it sounded pretty good.

bfitz
10-19-2006, 18:21
"The lunatic is on the grass...":p
That's the one!

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 19:23
I heard it, it sounded pretty good.

Fiddlehead can play whole albums of Floyd. One talented Mofo.

RAT
10-19-2006, 19:49
I too am a "talented MoFo" and I agree, Fiddlehead rocks !

RAT

Tha Wookie
10-19-2006, 20:17
Did you jam some Floyd tunes? I hit the tent early on Saturday. I could have provided vocals.:)

Could have? I heard you singing around the fire along with some Floyd. Actually sounded pretty good!

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 21:39
Could have? I heard you singing around the fire along with some Floyd. Actually sounded pretty good!

Merci beaucoup.:)

Lone Wolf
10-19-2006, 21:42
I too am a "talented MoFo" and I agree, Fiddlehead rocks !

RAT

Yes Rat, you ARE! Quite the axemaster he is. Our visit was brief. Rat tore up many a Brown's Gap campfire with the acoustic and vocals. Thanx.

Sly
10-19-2006, 23:36
Yes Rat, you ARE! Quite the axemaster he is. Our visit was brief. Rat tore up many a Brown's Gap campfire with the acoustic and vocals. Thanx.

I missed Rat. Other than Hobo Central, I only had the pleasure of meeting him a few times at Trail Days and Browns Gap. Solid dude he. The trail could use more like him.

bfitz
10-20-2006, 00:23
Merci beaucoup.:)
Don't tell me you can sing! Can't wait till trail days....

Sly
10-20-2006, 00:29

LOL... I know, who would have believed. :p

Tha Wookie
10-20-2006, 00:36

Yeah just play Animals. Awesome album.

Lone Wolf seemed to know all the words from where I was standing.

bfitz
10-20-2006, 00:38
Big man, pig man, haha, charade you are.....

bfitz
10-20-2006, 00:41
I've posted this before but it's worth repeating. I have two brothers, we play music but have widely different tastes and can argue like crazy about what to put on or play, so we instated what is known as the "Pink Floyd" rule. If we argue for more than 2 minutes, we just play pink floyd. It has kept the peace for 20+ years!

Lone Wolf
10-20-2006, 01:39

You'll have to wait for the next ruck or Gathering. We're leaving town this coming Trail Days. Too much of a ***n zoo. I've grown to dislike Trail Daze.

Sly
10-20-2006, 01:52
You'll have to wait for the next ruck or Gathering. We're leaving town this coming Trail Days. Too much of a ***n zoo. I've grown to dislike Trail Daze.

Southern Ruck, before anything else, I'm already working on the campfire. If that fails or is too cold, Cabin C!

RAT
10-20-2006, 02:16
I missed Rat. Other than Hobo Central, I only had the pleasure of meeting him a few times at Trail Days and Browns Gap. Solid dude he. The trail could use more like him.

Thanks Sly and Wolf :o (dont forget about all those full band jamms we did at Ron and Deb`s venues (Quincy`s,the home parties), also the Old Mill, Dodies, State Line tavern, Bens, etc etc) ;)

RAT

MOWGLI
10-20-2006, 06:49
Yeah just play Animals. Awesome album.

Definitely my favorite Pink Floyd album.

warren doyle
10-20-2006, 08:54
More garbage on the Whiteblaze info superhighway from one of the chief litterers/internegators. You know very little, if anything, how I think and feel.

FALSE: Sulk:to be sulky. Sulky: showing resentment and ill-humor by sullen, withdrawn behavior.

TRUE: Hurt: to have one's feelings wounded
and
Disappointed:made unhappy by being prevented from fulfilling, achieving, or obtaining

chomp
10-20-2006, 09:33
Hurt and Disappointed

My ex-girlfriend said the same thing if I wasn't constantly telling her how great she thought she was.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-20-2006, 10:06
Warren, there will always be infighting and mud-slinging among us (go watch Jack and me in the political forum). However, it does not mean that we don't love and value each other. We are like siblings - I can fight with my little brother, but you better not touch him.... While I understand you are hurt and disappointed, we need you and your wisdom in ALDHA. When any point of view withdraws, we all all lose. I hope to see you at the next Gathering.

Ewker
10-20-2006, 10:20
More garbage on the Whiteblaze info superhighway from one of the chief litterers/internegators. You know very little, if anything, how I think and feel.

FALSE: Sulk:to be sulky. Sulky: showing resentment and ill-humor by sullen, withdrawn behavior.

and
Disappointed:made unhappy by being prevented from fulfilling, achieving, or obtaining

I may be opening a can of worms here, sorry if I do.

I don't know the history of what has gone on and really don't care. I don't understand why you wouldn't go. If you are hurt and disappointed isn't part of that your fault for not going? I am sure you have friends that go to this who would be glad to see you. That also works the other way with people you don't get along with. It doesn't matter who is there. From what I have read The Gathering is suppose to be for the hikers in general whether you have hiked in the past, present or future.

I look forward to the day I can go and meet everyone who post on here. That includes you, your friends and your enemies and people who could care less :D

trailangelmary
10-20-2006, 13:32
Thanks Krewser,
Very good post, lenghty or not. I enjoyed reading it along with the other posts that describe anything that happened there as I could not make it.
I especially liked your first paragraph. Go ALDHA.

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2006, 13:57
Hey, Warren:

Maybe we'd know more about how you really think and feel if you'd show up here regularly. Your participation here on Whiteblaze is limited to the occasional whine or complaint, or more frequently, it's to peddle your alleged "Trail Institute" and sell for cash the sort of information that thousands of other folks share for free. This seems to be your sole interest in the website, so if people don't really know what you think or feel, perhaps the fault is yours.

You could have also told people how you think and feel about ALDHA and the Gathering by attending the event. Oh, whoops, I forgot. You couldn't do that because you elected to boycott the event.

And as to your hurt and disappointment, this was due to the fact that the ALDHA membership and Board decided to let Stacy Mikkalsen and Greg Boone run last weekend's Gathering, instead of giving the job to you.

Oh, despite your mis-givings over their competence or ability to run this event efficiently and well, (sentiments you aired publicly, tho probably not to Grag and Stacy's faces) let the record show that they did an absolutely splendid job, the weekend went off without a hitch, and a wonderful time was had by all.

You'd know this to be true if you were there.

Well, you know it now. Your peevish hurt and disappointment, as well as your doubts about how the event would proceed without you at the helm, were childish and entirely unwarranted.

The 25th Gathering was a well-attended, well thought out, and well-managed event.

It would be nice if you would acknowledge this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and thanks for your definition of "sulky" that you graciously provided above. If one examines a dictionary, one does indeed discover that it means "showing resentment and ill-humor by sullen, withdrawn behavior."

Gee, let's have a closer look at this:

*You resent the fact that you've been booted off the ALDHA Board; that
other folks are running the organization; and that other people were picked
to run the Gathering.

*You are obviously not amused by this.

*In a sullen fit of pique, you boycotted the event by withdrawing your
attendance and participation.

Geez, I see resentment, sullenness, ill humor, and withdrawn behavior!

Well, guess what, Warren? The dictionary definition of "sulky" that you provided is right on the money!

The only wonder is that the dictionary doesn't include your photograph to go along with the definition.

I suppose they couldn't find a way to make your head fit on the page.

Lone Wolf
10-20-2006, 14:02
You're a spiteful little beotch ain't ya?:) You LOVE going off on Warren. It ain't healthy son.:cool:

TJ aka Teej
10-20-2006, 14:31
More garbage on the Whiteblaze info superhighway from one of the chief litterers/internegators.
At long last, Chief Doyle has prefaced his remarks with a disclaimer...

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2006, 14:34
Thanx for your concern about my well-being, Wolf. It is truly touching.

But if Warren is going to make coments here, then it is to be expected that people will respond to them.

And speaking of staying in good health, Wolf, when it comes to your immediate and repeated defense of Warren every time his name comes up, you'd might breathe better if you did this less often.

Your nose wouldn't be smudged either.

Stay healthy, son. :D

max patch
10-20-2006, 14:37
Just musing....

Steve Jobs starts Apple.

Steve Jobs runs Apple.

Apple boots out Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs returns to Apple.

Could this happen with ALDHA and its founder?

Jack Tarlin
10-20-2006, 14:54
Probably not, Max.

See, the crucial difference is Apple NEEDED Mr. Jobs.

But in all truth, Warren is welcome to return to the ALDHA fold anytime he wishes to, and there are undoubtedly folks who wish that he would. Heavens, I recently met at least two who expressed those exact sentiments.

But it needs to be remembered that it was HE who decided to leave; it's not like he was driven away, just it will be HIS decision, if he so chooses, to return.

In the meantime, I guess the organization will just have to shudder along without him.

Hapily, as anyone who attended last week's Gathering can attest, it would appear that ALDHA will somehow, against all odds and dire predictions, manage to do just fine.

The Old Fhart
10-20-2006, 15:07
Actually, TJ, you should wear being called an internegator as a badge of honor. BTW, one definition he left out was:

Bitter-characterized by intense hostility; hard to accept; resentful or cynical ;)

Krewzer
10-21-2006, 07:44
Thanks Krewzer,
Go ALDHA.

You're very welcome. I'm still jazzed up. Hey Sly, put me on your list to help with the Soruck.

Krewzer
10-21-2006, 08:56

and

Warren, I've only met you once. You were doing you're whatever you call it with your thruhiker group. You were with your son at the time.

I agree with little you say or do concerning the AT and hiking.... So What!
I don't like boiled squash either..... So what!
I don't like George Bush either...... So what!

I know you were missed to the point of tears by some at the Gathering this year and it was one of the many special moments for me there.

Now I'll be damned if I'm going to let you mess that up for me with whatever it is you're trying to do here.

ALDHA is everything you wanted it to be. Be proud of that. It's a hell of an accomplishment.

Don't tell me it's not, because I saw and heard you say what you wanted on Weather Carrot's show. I've watched twice more since I got home. Everybody there saw it. Everybody in ALDHA has or is getting a copy of it. You're getting a copy in the mail if you don't already have one. Watch it again, listen to yourself. That was a really nice guy saying those things.

But, you were not the only one. There were lots of others, you didn't do it by yourself.

Common sense tells me you ought to get over, or try real hard to get over whatever or whoever hell it was that put the bee in your bonnet and move on. But if you think ALDHA is going to waste a bunch of time pining about the "good ole days before we hurt Warren's feelings" you're living in a dream world.

You're really flirting with becoming a short hurried over paragraph or maybe a footnote in the history of ALDHA. I can't believe you want that. I don't want that.

Right now I don't know if you're "a good example or a horrible warning." You're the only one that can fix that.

You might start by saying publicly, loudly and sincerely, "Thank you, Stacy." Or even better, "Thank You ALDHA, for the opportunity to be a small part of this experience."

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-21-2006, 09:14
Warren, a big hug and what Krewser so eloquently said. I don't want to hurt your feelings or make you out to be the bad guy, but your actions are making people wonder if you're "a good example or a horrible warning." (the guy in the DVD or just an enormous ego in need of a massage). I saw the tears at ALDHA due to your absence -- reconciliation can only happen when both sides move toward each other -- the ball is in your court.

The Old Fhart
10-21-2006, 09:35
Krewzer-"You might start by saying publicly, loudly and sincerely, "Thank you, Stacy." Or even better, "Thank You ALDHA, for the opportunity to be a small part of this experience."Bravo Krewzer!!

TJ aka Teej
10-21-2006, 10:09
Actually, TJ, you should wear being called an internegator as a badge of honor.

If I'm an internegator* I'm in good company!

*(for those new to Warren-Does-WhiteBlaze) "internegator" was a Doyle typo of interrogator in a post he made claiming He was above answering questions from those He deemed beneath Himself. When the typo was pointed out, in classic Doyle fashion, He claimed He was incapable typos, and was intentionally coining a new word.

Y'know, if Doyle had just apologized for his '01 Gathering behavior, and had refrained from His online histrionics preceding the '04 Gathering, He'd still be just ALDHA's Funny Uncle - no more, no less. Instead, He's chosen another trail, much to His own discredit. As someone once said, "Shame."

Lone Wolf
10-21-2006, 10:10
Warren, I've only met you once. You were doing you're whatever you call it with your thruhiker group. You were with your son at the time.

I agree with little you say or do concerning the AT and hiking.... So What!
I don't like boiled squash either..... So what!
I don't like George Bush either...... So what!

I know you were missed to the point of tears by some at the Gathering this year and it was one of the many special moments for me there.

Now I'll be damned if I'm going to let you mess that up for me with whatever it is you're trying to do here.

ALDHA is everything you wanted it to be. Be proud of that. It's a hell of an accomplishment.

Don't tell me it's not, because I saw and heard you say what you wanted on Weather Carrot's show. I've watched twice more since I got home. Everybody there saw it. Everybody in ALDHA has or is getting a copy of it. You're getting a copy in the mail if you don't already have one. Watch it again, listen to yourself. That was a really nice guy saying those things.

But, you were not the only one. There were lots of others, you didn't do it by yourself.

Common sense tells me you ought to get over, or try real hard to get over whatever or whoever hell it was that put the bee in your bonnet and move on. But if you think ALDHA is going to waste a bunch of time pining about the "good ole days before we hurt Warren's feelings" you're living in a dream world.

You're really flirting with becoming a short hurried over paragraph or maybe a footnote in the history of ALDHA. I can't believe you want that. I don't want that.

Right now I don't know if you're "a good example or a horrible warning." You're the only one that can fix that.

You might start by saying publicly, loudly and sincerely, "Thank you, Stacy." Or even better, "Thank You ALDHA, for the opportunity to be a small part of this experience."

I'll still have coffee with him when he comes to town. Chatting is good.:)

TJ aka Teej
10-21-2006, 10:33
Chatting is good.:)

Exactly! Proclaiming He's above speaking with certain people, and then running away to sulk, achieves nothing positive at all.

Wonder
10-21-2006, 10:45
May I just say that one of the greatest things I saw at the Gathering was, that all of those who fling poo here online, were having the time of their lives together around the campfire. No bad blood at all! Just proves what we all know is true. Though we may disagree with the politics, we are all just hikers who would rather be around other hikers.

fiddlehead
10-21-2006, 10:58
I agree. Lots of fun and laughs between folks who i have sparred with more than once on here. Now, i just wish i could remember what you all look like.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-21-2006, 12:29
We are a family. Back when I was a tomboy big sister I kicked my little bro's arse regularly, but anyone else had to deal with me if they touched him. It the same sort of thing around here - we can fight like wildcats, but the love is still underneath the surface.

TJ, trying to incite ill-feelings by dregging up the past isn't any more positive than running away and sulking. Clean up your own backyard. BTW, I care about both you and Warren and there's not a darned thing either of you can do about it.

max patch
10-21-2006, 12:54
TJ, trying to incite ill-feelings by dregging up the past isn't any more positive than running away and sulking. Clean up your own backyard.

Nah, keep it up Teej. Your succent comments about WD are just about the only thing you and I agree with.

Remember, those that ignore the past....

max patch
10-21-2006, 12:55
We are a family.

We ain't no family. Just a subset of hikers who happen to own a computer with internet access. Like LW says, there ain't no trail "community".

Sly
10-21-2006, 13:00
We ain't no family. Just a subset of hikers who happen to own a computer with internet access. Like LW says, there ain't no trail "community".

LW isn't always right. :eek: There certainly is a trail community and some of us are "family". :p:D:)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-21-2006, 13:03
::: rubs knukles across brother Sly's head while considering putting LW in another skirt :::

peanuts
10-21-2006, 13:07
FD, how about LW with corset, garter belt and stockings......:)))

Trillium
10-21-2006, 13:35
FD, how about LW with corset, garter belt and stockings......:)))
now that, I might pay to see ;)

bfitz
10-21-2006, 14:57
Or pay not to see.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-21-2006, 15:17
FD, how about LW with corset, garter belt and stockings......:)))ALDHA's Dyfunctional Family Reunion (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/DysfunctionalALDHAfamilyphoto.gif)

TJ aka Teej
10-21-2006, 17:29
TJ, trying to incite ill-feelings by dregging up the past isn't any more positive than running away and sulking.

We aren't allowed to talk about why Doyle is where he is, FD? Boy, he'd like that. FD, how did you feel when you were in the audience listening to Doyle that night in '01? What did you think about the ALDHA members who packed up and left that night? What did you think about his letter in the newsletter a few months later? What was your opinion of his online postings prior to, and his behavior at, the '04 Gathering? Pardon me if I don't care to join the "let's pretend Doyle's a victim" club. I still contend he's in a fix of his own making. If that doesn't butter your biscuits, I apologize to you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-21-2006, 19:27
TJ, you are certainly entitled to feel as you do and WD may indeed owe some apologies. Please re-read all my posts in this thread - I did not say anywhere that WD is a victim - in fact, I called him on his recent behavior. As for you bringing all of the events of the past years up over and over, this is not going to help get the two sides together and there are a lot of people who feel this needs to happen for the good of ALDHA.

If you are trying to run WD off and foster the ill-will and hard feelings to keep them alive then continue what you are doing, but don't expect those who feel reconciliation is important not to call you on doing it.

As for all the nonsense that has gone on in the past - Frankly, I've avoided ALDHA like a plague for a number of years because of all the animosity. I was told that reconciliation was in the works and it figured in my choice to join ALDHA and attend this year's gathering. If ALDHA’s gatherings are going to turn back into a mud-slinging battle, I'll re-think that decision. I'm way too old to play these silly games.

Wonder
10-21-2006, 20:20
FD.......that pic is one of the funniest things that I've seen! The hard part was explaining to my why I was just laughing myself to tears!!!!

peanuts
10-21-2006, 21:12
OH MY ROFLMAO.......that has to be the best yet!!!!!! thank you FD!!!
I needed a very good laugh!

Hammock Hanger
10-21-2006, 22:07
I'm a total outsider on this subject. I take neither side, as I'm more into hiking then feuds, but it really needs to just be put to an end and allowed to die.

Let the main players do what they need to do to resolve it one way or the other.

The rest of us should just let it go and go hike somewhere.

(Not sure why I even posted this... guess I just didn't want to see another thread go off on a tangent about crap.)

I was at the Gathering, had a great time. Thanks to those who deserve it.

TJ aka Teej
10-21-2006, 23:06
As for you bringing all of the events of the past years up over and over, this is not going to help get the two sides together and there are a lot of people who feel this needs to happen for the good of ALDHA.

FD, you're not familiar with the history? And you say you don't want or care to know or hear anything about it? And yet you're comfortable with telling people who were there what they should think, do, and say "for the good of ALDHA"? You have an interesting way of thinking. Naught for nothing, and for your information, only Doyle is responsible for Doyle's behavior. As I've said before, had he apologized, had he been able to further restrain himself, I'm certain he wouldn't be where he is today. It's a shame he decided to continue on the path he's chosen by boycotting ALDHA's 25th, but he's an adult and should take responsibility for his own decisions, and stop blaming others. Let's hope he gets his act together and comes to the Gettysburg Gathering next year. Maybe I can improve on my '01 second place finish in Trail Jeopardy.

Sly
10-21-2006, 23:37
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Maybe I can improve on my '01 second place finish in Trail Jeopardy. __________________

Impressive! Who came in 1st?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 00:31
TJ, if I wasn't familiar with the history, I would have had no a reason to avoid ALDHA like the plague. The years of infighting and angst has been discussed at length in hiking circles. Many causal hikers who are active in maintaining and give generously to other organizations avoid ALDHA because of its reputation. I caught some flack from friends when I mentioned I was attending ALDHA’s gathering.

you're comfortable with telling people who were there what they should think, do, and say "for the good of ALDHA"? I told you what I think and specifically said "TJ, you are certainly entitled to feel as you do". That's hardly telling you how to think.

Well, I don't know if you've successfully run WD off, but you've succeeded in convincing me to wait a few more years before adding ALDHA to my annual contribution list. It’s a pity because there are lot of really good people in ALDHA. I had a wonderful time at the gathering and was looking forward to becoming a supportive member, maybe even doing some PR work with hiking clubs that won’t contribute to your organization. However, if the battle that kept me away for so long is going to rage on I can find other gatherings to attend, other groups to speak of in positive terms and other organizations that will gladly accept my contributions of time and $$.<o>

</o> <u1></u1>Is it really more important to prove WD is wrong than to do what will improve ALDHA standing in the hiking community? Many hikers have no place in their lives for resentment (means re-feeling an emotion than should have been dealt with long before) and warmed over angst. Hang onto your negativity if you must, but be aware that hanging on to it is taking contributions of $$ and of maintainers’ time away from ALDHA. If that doesn't butter your biscuits, I'm sorry.<o></o>
<u1></u1>
WD, the same speech goes for you and your part in this mess.

bfitz
10-22-2006, 02:50
Yeah, it's always a blast partying with all you guys. The more the merrier.

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2006, 07:32
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Impressive! Who came in 1st?

We came in second out of three teams, so you could say we finished in next to last place. :D I remember Weather Carrot's team finishing in first.

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2006, 07:56
Many hikers have no place in their lives for resentment (means re-feeling an emotion than should have been dealt with long before) and warmed over angst.

Absolutely. As I've said before FD, Doyle should have dealt with the problems caused by his behavior long ago. To continue his tantrum with staged boycotts does him, and ALDHA, no good what-so-ever.

Sly
10-22-2006, 09:52
We came in second out of three teams, so you could say we finished in next to last place. :D I remember Weather Carrot's team finishing in first.

LOL... whose team was last? :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 10:00
Absolutely. As I've said before FD, Doyle should have dealt with the problems caused by his behavior long ago. To continue his tantrum with staged boycotts does him, and ALDHA, no good what-so-ever.As with a things in life, the only person you can change is yourself and the only part of the problem you can address is your part. Of course, the first part of addressing your part in the problem is admitting you are part of the problem....

Sly
10-22-2006, 10:05
Fortunately, online battles, debates and discussions seldom ruin the atmosphere of the Gathering. Not so much anyone should consider not being a member or attending. I don't see a real problem.

fiddlehead
10-22-2006, 11:07

I remember that Weather Carrot used to win every year. His secret: he knew that the questions were the same every year now, he's the narrarator i guess. I used to be very impressed with his memory. then he told me why he always won.
As to the ongoing fueds on here. I just ignore them cause i know that one on one, we're all friends.
I'd much rather talk about hiking!

Tha Wookie
10-22-2006, 11:30
Fortunately, online battles, debates and discussions seldom ruin the atmosphere of the Gathering. Not so much anyone should consider not being a member or attending. I don't see a real problem.

In my eyes, if there is anything tht taints ALDHA, it's the drawn-out public lambasting that happens here on this site with a handful of spiteful people.

Other than that, I saw nothing of the sort at the actual ALDHA Gathering this year. In fact, the only things I was hearing about Warren at ALDHA were very good things and many of them expressing disappointment that they wouldn't see the ALDHA founder this year.

If not for Weather Carrot's attempt at the SoRuck last year to explain to me how different the views are on this site from the majority of ALDHA folks, I would not have ever gone to ALDHA.

Warren, like most visionaries, can act strange. I understand how some of his behavior would justify a response from people who ere offended or who believe they are sticking up for others. But the fact remains that not only should you choose you battles wisely, but you should carefully consider where you wage them.

People on this site who continue the fight make ALDHA look bad -on both sides.

let it go people, or save it for someplace other than a public internet page.

Down here, we call it class.

MOWGLI
10-22-2006, 12:16
Obviously Warren will continue to be a burr in the saddle of folks like TJ, Jack and Old Fhart. None of the 3 aforementioned individuals appear capable of change when it comes to their opinion of Warren. They want Warren to be someone that he obviously is not. Warren also seems similarly incapable of change.

Maybe Rock or ATTROLL can make create a Warren Doyle subscription forum - and restrict all discussion & bashing of Warren to that forum, or move threads that devolve into Warren bashing (like this one) into that forum. That way those of us who are tired of reading this crap can avoid doing so.

Simple, no? :banana :banana :banana :banana

PS: Tha Gathering was great fun! None of this BS was evident there.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 12:35
Fortunately, online battles, debates and discussions seldom ruin the atmosphere of the Gathering. Not so much anyone should consider not being a member or attending. I don't see a real problem.Good point, Sly. May I ask a question? Are TJ, Jack or Old Fhart ALDHA officials?

Sly
10-22-2006, 13:02
Good point, Sly. May I ask a question? Are TJ, Jack or Old Fhart ALDHA officials?

Officials, not that I know of but, Teej and Jack (maybe Fhart) are field editors for the Companion. Regardless, everyone has a right to voice an opinion, it's in the US Constitution!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 13:07
I'm not denying them their voice, but I'm not willing to fund building the stage for them or WD... however, field editors and former officials are not current officials so I'll likely stay with ALDHA.

Sly
10-22-2006, 13:27
I'm not denying them their voice, but I'm not willing to fund building the stage for them or WD... however, field editors and former officials are not current officials so I'll likely stay with ALDHA.

Your vote counts, just like in the good ole USA. You disagree with Bush but I don't see you moving to Canada! In order to make it work it takes more participation, not less. I'd hate to miss my dozens of friends and a great Gathering because a few others that had disagreements.

StarLyte
10-22-2006, 13:34
Obviously Warren will continue to be a burr in the saddle of folks like TJ, Jack and Old Fhart. None of the 3 aforementioned individuals appear capable of change when it comes to their opinion of Warren. They want Warren to be someone that he obviously is not. Warren also seems similarly incapable of change.

Maybe Rock or ATTROLL can make create a Warren Doyle subscription forum - and restrict all discussion & bashing of Warren to that forum, or move threads that devolve into Warren bashing (like this one) into that forum. That way those of us who are tired of reading this crap can avoid doing so.

HA Mowgli.....you just opened the can.......if that happens......it would HAVE to be a private forum.

Funny thing......these men make up a force here that demands more than just an Internet discussion. Maybe one day, a meeting could take place where they can hash it out. PRIVATELY.

If not privately, I'll sell tickets. Proceeds split between ALDHA and Whiteblaze.

Now wouldn't that be some fundraiser.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-22-2006, 14:25
Starlyte said: Now wouldn't that be some fundraiser (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Reconciliation.jpg)

Krewzer
10-22-2006, 17:02

I probably shouldn't add anything else to this but, you might as well add Wingfoot, guns, dogs, Uncle Johnny and "a walk in the woods" over there...call it the "it's been a slow news week on the AT" forum.

...Hey! Wait a minute that would only leave us "Minnesota Smith" and "do you carry a sword" to have fun with. We might oughta' keep the dog and gun thing...maybe Uncle Johnny...Wingfoot does seem to cause a little less strife here lately, OK he can stay............???? Uh, yes I do have a copy of "A Walk in the Woods"...crap!

Sly
10-22-2006, 17:03
Lol.......

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2006, 18:01
LOL... whose team was last? :)
I don't remember who else was on the stage, (I am absolutely NOT comfortable on stage!) but I remeber Doyle cracking us up with some funny and *hard* questions!

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2006, 18:03
As with a things in life, the only person you can change is yourself and the only part of the problem you can address is your part. Of course, the first part of addressing your part in the problem is admitting you are part of the problem....
Absolutely!

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2006, 18:35
Obviously Warren will continue to be a burr in the saddle of folks like TJ, Jack and Old Fhart. None of the 3 aforementioned individuals appear capable of change when it comes to their opinion of Warren.
Well, since we're talking about me...
He was a legend of low regard up in Baxter, but I've never allowed myself to form opinions of people through second hand knowledge. I met him at a Dartmouth Gathering and he seemed pretty OK to me. A few Gatherings later he did something stupid in public, but I didn't let that keep me from listening to him later and playing Jeopardy with him. His message in the newsletter about his behavior dissapointed me. After that I suppose ambivalence, if anything at all, was my 'opinion'. We'd passed that blaze, we'd moved on down the trail, and no one I knew even talked about it afterwards. Then he joined WB two-three years ago and started yakking about the '01 Gathering, and has continued yapping about himself on here ever since. Opinions on just about everything change the more we learn and experience, and I hold out hope that my opinion of Doyle will change someday. FD, I know you don't like it when we talk about things that have happened, please forgive me for seeing thing differently than you.

I'm just an ALDHA member, an AT section hiker, a free shuttle provider from Portsmouth NH to Baxter, who volunteers to help write a bit about the trail in Maine for the Companion. The only trail I've hiked all of is the LT. When I go to Gatherings I try and help out there too. But remember there's no mileage, maintainer, or other qualifiers for belonging to ALDHA - it's open to everyone from dreamers to angels to triple crowners, and their votes all carry an equal weight at meetings. Warren had a great idea 25 Gatherings ago, I thank him for it, and I hope he makes it to the next 25.

Jack Tarlin
10-23-2006, 14:50
Hey Mowg.....if you're tired of reading something, well stop reading it.

Geez, not that difficult a concept, no? :-?

This thread is about ALDHA and the recentALDHA Gathering......for you to try to restrict what is discussed here, especially if it's in reference to the founder and past leader of the organization, well that's pretty silly, dontcha think? I mean, in a thread evoted to discussing ALDHA, it's not too surprising that certain people's names are gonna come up, no?

But once again, if you're tired of reading something, or you think a discussion is "crap," well tune it out.

Simple, no?

MOWGLI
10-23-2006, 16:07
Simple, no?

No. Not really.

This kind of banter reflects poorly on ALDHA and the hiking community. And it creeps into lots of threads here over the past 3+ years. I'd still like to see it restricted to a subscription form, and I'd be willing to bet that there are MANY MANY others who agree with me.

But alas, I'm not an Administrator, and respect the decisions of the ones that make this site possible.

fvital
10-23-2006, 16:20
Starlyte said: Now wouldn't that be some fundraiser (http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Reconciliation.jpg)

That was funny. I also pictured something similiar to MTV's claymation "Celebrity Death Match" with a WD vs WF.

The Old Fhart
10-23-2006, 16:35
MOWGLI16-"This kind of banter reflects poorly on ALDHA and the hiking community."Then why do you try to stir things up and perpetuate it by posting:
MOWGLI16-"Obviously Warren will continue to be a burr in the saddle of folks like TJ, Jack and Old Fhart. None of the 3 aforementioned individuals appear capable of change when it comes to their opinion of Warren."You're like the kid on the school ground that starts the fight then runs and reports it to the teacher feigning innocence.

I really expected better of you than that. I’d say from your attitude and continual stirring that you’ve got a horse in this race but you lack the courage to say so. Truly sad.