PDA

View Full Version : Palisade Pack

mtsanders21
09-03-2006, 18:37
Is the Palisade too small or too big for doing a S.B., next summer. I didn't want to over buy. Did I?

springerfever
09-03-2006, 20:33
My first pack back in the late 90's was a Gregory Palisade. Very comfortable with all the bells and whistles, but about SIX pounds. Ended up selling it and replacing it with an Osprey Aether, which weighed all of THREE pounds once I trimmed the straps down.

The Palisade is a great pack, but having a pack that big encourages you to pack more stuff (read more WEIGHT!!). It will work fine for you, but this pack is a great place to trim your weight down and ultimately have a much lighter load. If I'm not mistaken, the Palisade has a removeable lid. With the capacity of the pack itself, you could leave the lid at home and save at least six ounces.

Don't feel like the lone ranger....all hikers have bought gear that they later realized was not the best choice. There is a huge learning curve in lightening your pack and you can learn a lot and save a lot of money by reading these forums and asking questions. Welcome to the site !!

rockrat
09-05-2006, 22:08
I use a Palisade right now. The thing I like about it is that the size is so adjustable. I'ved used it on overnight shelter hops in the smokies where my pack weighed 10 pounds and on overnight 14ers in Colorado where I've had all sorts of backpacking gear plus a rope and the pack weighed 70 pounds. I think you made the right purchase on your pack.

Houdini
09-20-2006, 03:11
I used a Palisade for my Colorado Trail thru. It's a great pack all in all. I did feel it was pretty heavy for my taste when it comes to long distance hiking. If you're the type who likes to avoid town, you'll certainly appreciate its suspension and all around comfort while carrying the heavy loads.

Footslogger
09-20-2006, 09:17
I've got an old Shasta, which at the time I bought it was the same pack as the Pallisades with the additional detachable daypack on the back. Used my Shasta for many distance hikes. Plenty of room and probably one of the most comfortable suspension systems I've ever experienced ...but you pay dearly in the weight department.

If you like the Gregory suspension but want to drop a little weight and still have enough room for a distance hike check out the Reality.

'Slogger