PDA

View Full Version : Thre Things

Jack Tarlin
09-03-2006, 19:18
In a few weeks, I'm going to be giving a talk at the ALDHA Gathering for prospective A.T. thru-hikers. It's something I've done before, and something I'm looking forward to.

For those of you who've hiked already, if you could tell prospective hikers
just three things about their upcoming trip, what would they be?

bfitz
09-03-2006, 19:29
1. Relax and enjoy yourself.
2. Never turn down a good thing.
3. Take a blue-blaze once in a while.

general
09-03-2006, 19:53
be open minded about a scedule
keep some fat in your diet
it's not a race

fiddlehead
09-03-2006, 20:10
Keep an open mind
Keep it simple
Everything has it's place in your pack and should always go back there.

hopefulhiker
09-03-2006, 20:19
1. Hike your own hike.
2. Give yourself plenty of time.
3. Go lightweight.

TDale
09-03-2006, 20:24
Don't mooch
Don't rush
Don't kvetch

One Leg
09-03-2006, 20:55
Don't be afraid to be yourself.

Don't be afraid to take a zero day if you need one.

Realize that other folks have their ideas as to how you should hike, but when it all boils down to it, it's YOUR hike.

Lone Wolf
09-03-2006, 21:00
Check out Warren Doyle's seminar first.

Sly
09-03-2006, 21:02
Take enough money
Learn to look up and around instead of at your feet
Have fun!

prozac
09-03-2006, 21:03
1. HYOH
2. Take the time to see the trail. In all likelihood you will never be in that exact spot ever again. No need to turn it into the Bataan Death March.
3. Don't leave your manners at home and try to be a good trail rep.

One Leg
09-03-2006, 21:14

Ouch.... Stirring up the anthill.... Don't get bitten!!!

One Leg
09-03-2006, 21:16

Ouch.... Stirring up the anthill.... Don't get bitten!!!

Blue Jay
09-03-2006, 21:17

Now that was just flat out nasty, but:banana funny as hell.

Miss Janet
09-03-2006, 22:03
Your common sense...
Your sense of humor...
and flexability

Footslogger
09-03-2006, 22:18
Watch your hydration ...

Take care of your feet ...

Take things as they come ...

freefall
09-03-2006, 22:21
1. Have more money than you think you'll need.
2. Be very flexible timewise.
3. HYOH!

hikerjohnd
09-03-2006, 22:23
Don't sneeze when you're hiding
Don't poop where you sleep
Don't get run over
(after all some people need practical advice)

StarLyte
09-03-2006, 22:28
That no matter how many pictures your take-you will never capture even the essence of your surroundings.

Touch, smell and feel everything possible in your path.....listen to the sounds of the forest......respect everything you encounter and remember that you will NEVER be the same person you were when you started.

That you are PRIVILEGED to be there.

Think of Earl too.

bfitz
09-03-2006, 22:58
You might not wan't to touch, smell and feel everything possible in your path....smell it first, definitely, then decide....

Wonder
09-03-2006, 22:58
I haven't finished yet....but these are some things I've learned/observed
~Realize that the mental is what will get you there....if you can't be alone with yourself at home, it will be tough
~Don't over plan...they always change
~Don't leave with "baggage/issues" left at home. Settle everything before you leave

mrc237
09-04-2006, 00:45
Have plenty of cash---don't forget your cellphone---clean up after your dogs

rickb
09-04-2006, 09:03
For those of you who've hiked already, if you could tell prospective hikers just three things about their upcoming trip, what would they be?

I think its interesting that all of the responses you have received so far have answered a different question-- that being what advise they would give prospective hikers.

Lilred
09-04-2006, 09:27
Make sure your boots fit.
Take time to stop and look around while hiking.
Don't leave trash in the fire ring

Jaybird
09-04-2006, 09:32
Don't be afraid to be yourself.
Don't be afraid to take a zero day if you need one.
Realize that other folks have their ideas as to how you should hike, but when it all boils down to it, it's YOUR hike.

Yo ONELEG!

i thought you UN-PLUGGED your InterNEt??????????:D

One Leg
09-04-2006, 09:41
Yo ONELEG!

i thought you UN-PLUGGED your InterNEt??????????:D

Hey Jaybird:

I've been back online for 3-4 months now. Personal problems worked out.

Look for an email, I've got something to share with you...

-Scott

MOWGLI
09-04-2006, 09:48
1. The best way to carry water is inside of you.

2. Don't rush yourself to catch up with a particular group of folks on the trail. The people behind you or ahead of you are as nice or nicer than the folks you have been hanging with.

3. Either during your hike - or afterwards - take the time to give back in the form of trail maintenance. And join the ATC. Their work makes the trail's continued existence possible.

Skyline
09-04-2006, 10:02
1) You're going to see lots of shelters. You don't HAVE to sleep in them.

2) You will have great days, average days, horrible days. You will have more of the first if you aren't a slave to the miles.

3) You will meet a wide spectrum of people on the AT--some of whom represent populations you never associated with before. Celebrate the diversity, learn and grow with it.

(This is a GREAT thread BTW!)

Lone Wolf
09-04-2006, 10:27
1. Don't filter/treat water
2. Don't use Leki poles
3. Don't sleep in shelters

Tin Man
09-04-2006, 10:36
Be prepared, but don't over plan. Researching gear and your hike are important activities. Testing gear on test hikes are very important activities. Do not plan every mile and every stop. Some structure is good and allowing time for the unexpected is good too. You may not want to miss an opportunity for enjoying unplanned activities and you may have to deal with unexpected issues on the trail or at home.
Don't underestimate the mental aspects of a long-distance hike. Ask yourself why you are doing this and impressing others should not be on the list. When the going gets tough, remind yourself why you are doing this and if the reasons still apply, keep going, otherwise you are done and you should feel no shame.
Listen to others, but remember this is your hike.

Tin Man
09-04-2006, 10:41
2. Don't use Leki poles

1. You don't have to agree with L. Wolf.
2. You don't have to listen to L. Wolf.
3. But, please put your Leki's down, while filtering water or staying in a shelter or talking to L. Wolf.

:D

SGT Rock
09-04-2006, 10:49
Don't put it off too long

Amigi'sLastStand
09-04-2006, 11:47
Make sure your boots fit well
Do prep hikes or similar conditioning prior to start a thru
Make plans for contingencies. Preperation BEFORE an emergency is half the battle.
And four, like Mowgli said, water is best carried inside you. Camel up!

ed bell
09-04-2006, 12:06
I think its interesting that all of the responses you have received so far have answered a different question-- that being what advise they would give prospective hikers.Took me second to understand, Rick, but you are right. Also noticed that responses are coming from people who have not thru hiked. No problem with that, it's not my thread. Just an observation.:sun

StarLyte
09-04-2006, 12:48
Took me second to understand, Rick, but you are right. Also noticed that responses are coming from people who have not thru hiked. No problem with that, it's not my thread. Just an observation.:sun

You're right Ed--that is funny--we all just jumped in on that....I'm certainly not qualified to give any opinion as a thru, I should have stated....

".....after listening to you give many speeches and lead thru-hiker bullsessions, don't forget to tell them this Jack........"

There most certainly is a criteria for offering advice as a thru hiker that is completely different than the life sectioner. Good point. :sun

emerald
09-04-2006, 12:58
You are the recipient of an incredible gift. Show gratitude toward those who provided it for you.
Be considerate toward those you meet on the A.T., especially in towns through which it passes, particularly service providers.
Allow others to share in your experience when possible. Your generosity is apt to be returned to you and others in the years ahead.

Big Dawg
09-04-2006, 13:09
2. Don't use Leki poles

1. HYOH
2. HYOH
3. HYOH

SGT Rock
09-04-2006, 14:47
My opinion was from someone that should have retired this year and hiked. Wait too long and something will get in the way.

ARambler
09-04-2006, 16:15
I was at (one of) last years Gathering seminars. My answer would have been: "only carry your pack". Someone else made the point (maybe somewhat clearer) to make sure your relationships issues at home are taken care of before you leave for the trail. While only a small number of thru hikers have spouse (or girlfriend) problems, it is amazing how many people are carrying "baggage" from home that affects their hike. Things like job problems or unrealistic time or money pressure are other common sources of stress. Also, hikers should be very careful to tell the difference between HYOH and their preconceived notions of what the hike should be like. For example, I've seen a lot of hikers who night hike every day, and then sleep until noon. This is a "style" for some and a bad habit for others. Know yourself is more important (and a prerequisite) to HYOH.
Rambler

RoyTruelove
09-04-2006, 18:53
- Don't worry about what you know / don't know prior to leaving, but be ready to make mistakes and learn when you get out there.
- No one has ever regretted doing the trail too slowly, but many regret doing it too fast. You have a lot more time than you think you do.
- All it takes is one irresponsible hiker to ruin things (esp reputations in towns) for the rest of us. When you're in town you represent the whole AT and not just yourself, so be good!

Big Dawg
09-04-2006, 19:13
Know yourself is more important (and a prerequisite) to HYOH.
Rambler

Absolutely!

Tin Man
09-04-2006, 19:31
- All it takes is one irresponsible hiker to ruin things (esp reputations in towns) for the rest of us. When you're in town you represent the whole AT and not just yourself, so be good!

Good point. You can take yourself away from civilization, but don't let that take the civilization out of you.

Sorry, I am not a thru-hiker, so I am sure my previous advice is worthless. :rolleyes:

WalkinHome
09-04-2006, 21:18
1. Take too many pictures - then take some more (mostly people)

2. Go to the bathroom BEFORE you leave the woods for town

3. Watch out for those gas dryers-they melt poly pro and sleeping bags soon after the first paid cycle

PS Be Safe

StarLyte
09-04-2006, 21:42
1. Take too many pictures - then take some more (mostly people)

2. Go to the bathroom BEFORE you leave the woods for town

3. Watch out for those gas dryers-they melt poly pro and sleeping bags soon after the first paid cycle

PS Be Safe

I vote for Rays' ideas........

#1-You take good pictures
#2-You must have been in some pretty "messed" up situations ha ha
#3-They melt latex too
....that's a joke

the goat
09-04-2006, 21:51
#1- no schedule.
#2- don't quit if you have a bad coupla days.
#3- enjoy yourself.

Krewzer
09-04-2006, 22:04
For those of you who've hiked already, if you could tell prospective hikers

1. You will never be in better company.

2. You will have lots and lots of wonderful days and nights, but you can expect some not so good days. But no matter how bad it gets, a good day will never be more than a few days away. Never!

3. You will experience Trail Magic. Just remember, it is much much more than somebody cooking hot dogs and passing out cold beer.

the goat
09-04-2006, 22:12
1. You will never be in better company.

2. You will have lots and lots of wonderful days and nights, but you can expect some not so good days. But no matter how bad it gets, a good day will never be more than a few days away. Never!

3. You will experience Trail Magic. Just remember, it is much much more than somebody cooking hot dogs and passing out cold beer.

i like these!

well said!

Tha Wookie
09-05-2006, 00:17
1. You're going to have the time of your life. Soak it up.
2. I'm jealous.
3. Don't listen to what anybody says about your hike unless its logistical advice or a kind word; Especially not Jack Tarlin.

Just kidding jack-o you know I love you. But you can still quote me on that.

warren doyle
09-05-2006, 06:21
1) Print my one-page 'book' (25th edition) from my website : www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com)

2) Attend the Appalachian Trail Institute (more info at www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com))

3) You cannot 'fight' the trail; you have to 'flow' with it.

Warren Doyle
30,000-miler and counting
8 thru-hikes; 6 section-hikes (1972-present)

Smile
09-05-2006, 07:05
In general:
1. It's gonna be wet, be prepared
2. You're going to meet some of the most incredible people on trail
3. bring earplugs

For the ladies:
1. You're going to meet some of the coolest guys on earth, just keep those instincts at the ready for creeps.
2. You won't have time, energy or reason for makeup or razors, leave them at home - you're smile is beautiful enough!
3. Careful where you wash with Dr. Bronner's mint soap.

Wonder
09-05-2006, 09:15
I think its interesting that all of the responses you have received so far have answered a different question-- that being what advise they would give prospective hikers.

Good point...I"ll try again........
~You will meet some truly amazing people from all walks of life
~You will know what it's like to stand on a ridge and see nothing man-made(yeah, it's there, but you can't see it)
~You will be amazed with wht your body can and cannot do

RITBlake
09-05-2006, 09:32
1) Print my one-page 'book' (25th edition) from my website : www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com)

2) Attend the Appalachian Trail Institute (more info at www.warrendoyle.com (http://www.warrendoyle.com))

3) You cannot 'fight' the trail; you have to 'flow' with it.

Warren Doyle
30,000-miler and counting
8 thru-hikes; 6 section-hikes (1972-present)\

I tried going to your website but unfortunatly it was offline.
I guess I can't thru hike now! :rolleyes:

RITBlake
09-05-2006, 09:54
But seriously,

I think Miss Janet hit it right on the head. Have a sense of humor and be flexible.

Time To Fly 97
09-05-2006, 09:57
Hike in a state of grace and gratitude - you are among the blessed few on Earth that receives the gift of the Appalachian Trail. Cherish every second.

The people you meet will all be AT hikers and kindred souls, but each will be on a different journey. Spend a little time with each and more time with the ones who will be your friends for life. Practice targeted acts of kindness on these fellow hikers to better their journeys and you will receive the same in kind.

Not everyone will have the time or the luck to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail in one season. If you have this opportunity... go for Katahdin! The trail experience gets better and better the further you go. The challenging days will fade into fun as you gain experience and wisdom.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Skyline
09-05-2006, 10:34
Took me second to understand, Rick, but you are right. Also noticed that responses are coming from people who have not thru hiked. No problem with that, it's not my thread. Just an observation.:sun

The question was asked of those who have hiked the AT, not those who have thru-hiked.

RITBlake
09-05-2006, 10:38
Doyle's website works for me blakey..maybe try it NOW!

It's back up! I can go thru hiking now! :)

Only my mom calls me Blakey! :)

weary
09-05-2006, 10:45
1. Expect to be surprised. Regardless of the reading and planning you do -- or the number of weekend hikes you've taken, nothing truly prepares you for experiensing a thru hike like attempting a thru hike. In 1993 at least most of the people I met in Georgia and North Carolina hiked in a state of mild shock at the enormity of what they were attempting -- six months of steady walking through some of the wildest terrain in the East.

2. Spend time before starting getting to know something about the environment through which you are walking. The complaints about the "long green tunnel" stem from the failure to recognize the many fascinating creatures and plants that inhabit that tunnel. Develop a sense of curiosity and you'll rarely be bored. If you see a tree, a plant or a flower you don't recognize take notes and look it up once you reach a town with a library or a good book store. A bit of study before hand will tell you which notes will be most important to identification.

3. You've got six months at least, maybe more, depending on starting time. Don't lollygag. But also don't rush in those crucial first weeks. It takes time for your body to adjust to the rigor of 15-mile days, especially for older hikers. A slow start increases the chances of succeeding for most of us.

Weary

Grampie
09-05-2006, 11:00
#1 Have enough time..It will probably take longer than what you planned for.

#2 Have enough money...It will cost more than what you planned for.

#3 Have faith in yourself...It will be harder than you thought it would be.

UCONNMike
09-05-2006, 11:17
1. Do a practice hike for about a week, during thru-hiker season, to find out what works for you and what doesn't. I know that if Blake and I had started our thru-hiek with the same gear we had on our section hike we prob would have made it to Monson and then went home. It is so important to keep your pack weight down so you can hike comfortably, and i don't care what anyone says b/c 15-20lbs is way easier to walk with than 35-40 lbs, and it is easy to get the weight down in your pack without feeling liek you are "missing" things. And while you do your section hiek, ask thru hikers as many questions as possible; such as "what piece of gear did they get rid of first, and what hostels to stay at, places to not miss, what worked best/worse as far as gear goes...this advice is clutch.

2. Hike-your-own-hike. If you wanna do 30 miles a day...do it. if you wanna take soem trail magic...don't feel bad abou tit, just do it. you wanna stay in a million hostels along the way...do it. you wanna bring $1000 bucks and go super low budget...do it, it can be done. Once you are out there you will know what you are capable of and how hard you can push yourself and what you can deprive yourself of and what you want to endulge in. Blake and i joke about how once spetember rolled around we found ourselfs in front of a TV on SAturdays and sundays watching football, but we knew we could make up the miles and abjust our schedule to stay with our AT Family. some may say it was stupid to stay in town to watch football nad thats not what the trail is about, and us doing crazy miles to catch up was also dumb b/c we din't enjoy the hiking...but we did enjoy it and it was what we wanted to do. so do what you want out there...as long as you hike the miles and get from ME2Ga or GA2ME that's what counts.

3. Have fun and smile! it is a once in a lifetime experience to hiek the AT, so enjoy yourself, go swim in that pond or river, have a few beers in that sweet trail town, get the 15-20 miles hitch to Gettysburg, PA and check out the all the battlefields, just have fun and keep smiling, dont become one of those people i saw all too often on the trail who where sulking there way to ME saying how they hated hiking and just wanted to finish. Have fun be relaxed take it one day at a time.

Nightwalker
09-05-2006, 13:03
#1 Have enough time..It will probably take longer than what you planned for.

#2 Have enough money...It will cost more than what you planned for.

#3 Have faith in yourself...It will be harder than you thought it would be.
Best advice I've seen.

I'm not smart enough to give advice except the kind that helps folks get through Georgia. That's pretty simple stuff, and important, but this is the "2,000 mile" advice thread, so we'll save that for later. :)

mnof1000v
09-05-2006, 15:57
1) Never regret a zero day. NEVER.

2) Never do a big day out of town.

3) Remember there are things to see just off the trail, if you're looking for them - and many of them are less than a mile off.

Jack Tarlin
09-05-2006, 16:51
I guess it's time for me to throw in three:

*Take your time. Hardly anyone ever finishes and wishes that they'd done
the trip faster.

*In all things, be flexible. If you start with a detailed schedule that tells you
where you expect to be every day for the next six months, the best thing
you can do with this itinerary is to start a fire with it.

*Remember that the towns are there to give you a respite and a break from
the backpacking, and not the other way around. Take time off whenever
you need it, but remember why you're out there. Most of the rest of your
life will be spent in town.

MOWGLI
09-05-2006, 17:28
The last two posts are interesting.

+ I did my 2 of my biggest mile days (26) out of towns (DWG & Hanover)

+ I couldn't wait to finish - and that is usually the case with most of my hikes. I guess I'm more of a family man than I am a hiker.

Great thread though!

ed bell
09-05-2006, 17:58
The question was asked of those who have hiked the AT, not those who have thru-hiked.The wording of my post was a bit off, Skyline. I was refering to comments left by hikers who have yet to complete the AT. Once again though, I've got no problems with it. Just an observation. I think reading the responses can be benificial to anyone. Really good stuff.:sun

Sly
09-05-2006, 18:01
The quesstion also asks...

Not necessarily a do's and don'ts, more like what can they expect.

Peaks
09-05-2006, 19:21
1. Hike your own hike

2. Be respectful of others, both on the trail and in towns.

3. It's the journey, not the destination.

max patch
09-05-2006, 20:29
The last two posts are interesting.

+ I did my 2 of my biggest mile days (26) out of towns (DWG & Hanover)

I didn't understand why anyone would suggest to NEVER do a big day when leaving town. Wonder what the point was. Seams to make about as much sense as suggesting to NEVER do a SHORT day when leaving town.

26 miles out of DWG? Every book on the AT I own the hikers always talk about Sunfish Pond. Had to spend the night there.

MOWGLI
09-05-2006, 21:00
26 miles out of DWG? Every book on the AT I own the hikers always talk about Sunfish Pond. Had to spend the night there.

My wife was picking me up at High Point at 4 PM the next day. My daughter had a play she was acting in at the end of the year. It was one of those things I couldn't miss.

I spent an hour or so catching frogs at Sunfish Pond - and then hiked on.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2006, 14:29
Geez, Max, you're usually a real stickler for rules, tradition, and proper behavior.

I hope you had a fine night at beautiful Sunfish Pond, but overnighting there happens to be illegal! :D

Lone Wolf
09-06-2006, 14:32
Geez, Max, you're usually a real stickler for rules, tradition, and proper behavior.

I hope you had a fine night at beautiful Sunfish Pond, but overnighting there happens to be illegal! :D
So is swimming but 99% of hikers do it.

max patch
09-06-2006, 14:39
Legal campsites are -- or at least were -- 1/2 mile past the pond.

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2006, 14:42
Your original post said nothing of 1/2 a mile later; it said you "had to spend the night" at the Pond.

And in any case, a grinning green face usually implies that one is kidding around with a post.

Sorry you missed this.

K0OPG
09-07-2006, 12:03
As someone that has not thruhiked yet, but spent many years with a military pack on my back....

1. Listen to all of the advice on WB.

2. Filter through it to find the things that apply to you and your way or hiking (if a new hiker, to the way you think you want to hike), so that you can.....

3. Hike your own hike.