PDA

View Full Version : Analyze my toiletry/first aid sack.

Earl Grey
09-03-2006, 21:07
Instead of just listing things I thought why not just post a picture? Basically I have a 1 gallon ziplock bag with a roll of TP smashed inside it and then inside that bag I have a 1 quart bag with things you will see in this picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=233287749&size=o

Lone Wolf
09-03-2006, 21:18
It's all good. It works for you. Don't let anyone tell you different.

bigcranky
09-03-2006, 21:19
The blue pills are Aleve, right? Three pills wouldn't even be close to enough for me, since I take it every day on the trail, and I don't think it's enough for an emergency supply, either. And if you really need to stop some serious pain, Aleve won't do it, you need Vicodin or some such, which has its own issues.

I would (do) carry some Compeed-style blister pads, a couple of antihistamine capsules, a couple of anti-diarrheal tabs, and some Pepto chewables. I have given many a Pepto tablet to an ailing hiker.

If it were me, I would skip the gauze pads and replace them with a few of the really large band-aids, which I use all the time when I bang up my knees or whatever.

I know there have been some threads on what people carry for first aid and toiletries (and it can be a surprisingly controversial subject). You might search a bit. I tend to carry a pretty comprehensive kit, especially when hiking with the family.

Happy trails,

fiddlehead
09-03-2006, 21:41
looks like a big tube of toothpaste. Here's a trick: get the smallest tube you can, and then make a double female cap by epoxying 2 toothpaste caps together and then drilling a hole thru them. Then you can easily fill the small one from a big one in your drop box or one you buy in town. No need to carry extra weight. Or, if you don't feel like making this item, just hold the 2 tubes together, you may lose a little but it's still a good idea. A needle and dental floss is a good idea also for not only sewing up yourself but in case your pack or tent breaks or tears. You can tow a car with dental floss. (you can even use it on your teeth) (although a toothpick works good too)

fiddlehead
09-03-2006, 21:42
looks like a big tube of toothpaste. Here's a trick: get the smallest tube you can, and then make a double female cap by epoxying 2 toothpaste caps together and then drilling a hole thru them. Then you can easily fill the small one from a big one in your drop box or one you buy in town. No need to carry extra weight. Or, if you don't feel like making this item, just hold the 2 tubes together, you may lose a little but it's still a good idea. A needle and dental floss is a good idea also for not only sewing up yourself but in case your pack or tent breaks or tears. You can tow a car with dental floss. (you can even use it on your teeth) (although a toothpick works good too)

Earl Grey
09-03-2006, 21:45
The blue pills are Aleve, right? Three pills wouldn't even be close to enough for me, since I take it every day on the trail, and I don't think it's enough for an emergency supply, either. And if you really need to stop some serious pain, Aleve won't do it, you need Vicodin or some such, which has its own issues.

I would (do) carry some Compeed-style blister pads, a couple of antihistamine capsules, a couple of anti-diarrheal tabs, and some Pepto chewables. I have given many a Pepto tablet to an ailing hiker.

If it were me, I would skip the gauze pads and replace them with a few of the really large band-aids, which I use all the time when I bang up my knees or whatever.

I know there have been some threads on what people carry for first aid and toiletries (and it can be a surprisingly controversial subject). You might search a bit. I tend to carry a pretty comprehensive kit, especially when hiking with the family.

Happy trails,

Yes the blue pills are Aleve. Your post mades tons of sense so I reconfigured it with a bigger bandages and less gazue with more aleve and took another pic. Check it out.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=233316552&size=o

hikerjohnd
09-03-2006, 22:32
I keep my nail clippers in my first aid pack - just a thought.... Looks good though! So long as it works for you!

Farr Away
09-03-2006, 22:46
I'd get a 2 X 2 inch jewelry size ziploc, and put the aspirin, non-aspirin, and Aleve in that. You might also want to add a couple of tums/rolaids/whatever antacid. A couple of the guys I hike with carry benadryl. Up to you obviously.

I also second the idea of going with a smaller tube of toothpaste, and you may want to look at a smaller toothbrush. I carry a kid's size, but they also have travel toothbrushes.

You may want to consider an ace bandage &/or an elastic knee brace. I also carry some safety pins. They can be sterilized and used for splinters, or for temporary repairs. You might want to add some hand sanitizer, and if you do, you might reconsider the antiseptic wipes. Just so you know though, hand sanitizer does sting. You may want to add some unscented baby wipes. They can be dried out and rehydrated when you're going to use them, if the weight concerns you. They're a great all-around hygiene aid.

My two cents.

Earl Grey
09-03-2006, 22:52

That sounds pretty neat. Ill have to look into doing that. Could I cut the toothpaste completely out and use Dr Bronners soap?

hikerjohnd
09-03-2006, 22:53
Could I cut the toothpaste completely out and use Dr Bronners soap?

You can, but I think it tastes like a$$ :D:D The 1/4 ounce for a travel size tube of toothpaste is worth the weight.

Farr Away
09-03-2006, 23:31
You could cut out the toothpaste, and carry some baking soda. Works, isn't going to attract bears, and can be used for a lot of other things too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-03-2006, 23:32
You can buy tooth powder or make your own.
MAKE YOUR OWN TOOTH POWDER (http://mizar5.com/toothpst.htm). Thoroughly mix 3 parts baking soda (the cleanser and sweetener) with part salt (the abrasive) and funnel the compound into a short small-mouthed container such as a pop or beer bottle. You'll find that the creation has a satisfying, different taste and leaves your mouth feeling very fresh and soothed. If you'd like, add a few drops of peppermint or wintergreen oil to the concoction

I carry the meds you have plus Imodium AD, benadryl, claritin and a couple of serious pain killers. I use straight baking soda for my teeth and it makes a great antacid. I don't carry the antiseptic pads - I use guaze and alcohol gel to clean wounds. I carry three 1" bandaids, a 3 ft roll of 2" guaze and a 2" wide elastic bandage that sticks to itself for sprains, splinting or bandaging something big. You can cut off some of the elastic bandage to wrap smaller wounds - I have. My knife has tweezers and a straight pin for splinters and ticks.

latte
09-03-2006, 23:35
I would add a wide self sticking ace bandage. I have used one on each of my 2 week section hikes. This last time, I ran out of gauze and needed it to hold bandages on the back of my knee (bad injury). I also carry safety pins, nail clips, and tweezers.

Panzer1
09-04-2006, 01:41
I would add a small travel size bottle of shampoo like the kind they give you in hotel rooms. It's nice to have clean hair on the trail. If you have a bounce box, you can refill it from there. You can also use it to wash your socks at night.

panzer

SGT Rock
09-04-2006, 02:51
Mint is a natural weed in the Appalachians. I use to pick it all the time. Bears don't go around eating the mint plants, so I wouldn't worry about bears looking for mint soap or mint toothpaste.

Now if they smelled like hamburger, that would be different.

Aleve is Naproxom Sodium (sp?) In the Army when Tylenol or Motrin doesn't cut it, they give you 500mg NS. I have been carrying those or Alive for a few years now and it works fine for me.

Some thoughts about NS - it will reduce fever like Tylenol

It does not take as much time to build up to actually work like Motrin. I got a good lecture from a PA about Motrin (Ibuprofen) dosage. Turns out you need to follow the dosage instructions for about 24 hours for it to actually work. If you lay off the dosage you have to re-start. And if you get pain relief earlier it is your own body doing it thought either endorphins or placebo like effect. For NS it is more like 6-12 hours to build up doseage in your system.

I hear about hikers taking Ibuprofen all the time, after hearing this from my PA it is no wonder a lot of them have to take it all the time for pain relief.

mweinstone
09-04-2006, 08:42
i thaught the round thing was a diaphram. your kit is so nice to see. you hit the nail on the head. lone wolf speaks truth. take what you need. but you have keept it light and simple and small. very cool. and dont epoxsy toothpaste .toothpaste is somthing better mooched than carryed. stop using it now. and borrow a taste each month on the trail and savor the flavor. mmmmmmmm ... nothin like toothpaste after about a month of none.all i carry is moleskin and cream deodorant and footpowder soap, floss, toothbrush and toilet paper. my bandanna and knife are the tools. you have the right idea and good advise. i predict you will fly to maine. on the trail. in your boots. with your teny tiny diddy bag. you go boy!

greentick
09-04-2006, 08:56
fiddlehead: looks like a big tube of toothpaste. Here's a trick: get the smallest tube you can, and then make a double female cap by epoxying 2 toothpaste caps together

That rocks. Even just for widget factor. Great idea.

Rock: It does not take as much time to build up to actually work like Motrin. I got a good lecture from a PA about Motrin (Ibuprofen) dosage. Turns out you need to follow the dosage instructions for about 24 hours for it to actually work. If you lay off the dosage you have to re-start. And if you get pain relief earlier it is your own body doing it thought either endorphins or placebo like effect. For NS it is more like 6-12 hours to build up doseage in your system.

I disagree, different nsaids work differently for different people:rolleyes: . The deal with IBU is that you get analgesia quicker but it takes a few consecutive doses to get an anti-inflammatory effect. See what works for you. Ibu works better for me than NS but I have know others that like NS better. Tylenol doesn't work for me at all - I don't bother carrying it. IF NS or Ibu work for you I would drop the tylenol and add that amount of NS/Ibu. Aspirin has a myriad of uses. There is a lot of good recommendations in this post already. Pack a kit and use it on some shakedowns to see how it works. You can check out this:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=183728&postcount=1

SGT Rock
09-04-2006, 09:17
Thanks Greentick, your the man.

Jaybird
09-04-2006, 09:36
[QUOTE=blackmath]Instead of just listing things I thought why not just post a picture? Basically I have a 1 gallon ziplock bag with a roll of TP smashed inside it and then inside that bag I have a 1 quart bag with things you will see in this picture.

as WOLF said....if it works fer u....thats what matters....

i'd go lighter on a few of those items...but....izz ALL good!:D

enjoy yer hike!

rickb
09-04-2006, 09:39
I don't see anything usefull for blister care, but pehaps I am missing something.

SGT Rock
09-04-2006, 09:41
If you read that one thread you can use toothpaste LOL ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-04-2006, 09:47
I don't see anything usefull for blister care, but pehaps I am missing something.I assumed the guy had duct tape....

greentick
09-04-2006, 12:28
[quote=blackmath]Instead of just listing things I thought why not just post a picture? Basically I have a 1 gallon ziplock bag with a roll of TP smashed inside it and then inside that bag I have a 1 quart bag with things you will see in this picture.

as WOLF said....if it works fer u....thats what matters....

i'd go lighter on a few of those items...but....izz ALL good!:D

enjoy yer hike!

I'm not advocating a huge first aid kit and I love multitasking. Carry what suits you. I am definately in the "overprepared" category AFA medical kits. I used to be able to treat the clap:eek: from my shaving kit for cryin out loud. The way I got that way is a long story. I still can do suturing and carry a few types of antibiotics in my (non-hiking) shaving kit to this day. I like to be prepared to help other hikers in need. Do I carry an O2 cylinder in my pack? No, I got one but can say I have never been tempted to carry it:D . Do I have stuff to treat fractures, yep. Heart attacks, yep. The clap, yep. Black widow bites, got it covered. Duct tape/100mph tape is definately one of the most useful items you can pack as you will note in several spots on this site. Read the forums, tons of awesome advice. I am new to hiking but have been "in the woods" for years. Sometimes in the "moronically super-heavy" group. I have picked up lots of great tips here.

Outlaw
09-04-2006, 12:48
I carry baking soda for toothpaste in a film cannister. The film cannister works better than a ziplock bag. Just wet your brush and dip it in. Works great. Also, I carry a mini tube of Neosporin in my kit. I like a tube better than the individual packets, as you have less waste. Otherwise, your kit as is is good to go.

Kerosene
09-04-2006, 12:49
I used to be able to treat the clap:eek: from my shaving kit for cryin out loud. The way I got that way is a long story.I'd love to hear the long story about the way you treated yourself for the clap. :banana

greentick
09-04-2006, 12:56
I'd love to hear the long story about the way you treated yourself for the clap. :banana

:-? Not me. One of teammates, cheap local brew in .5L bottles, an ecuadorian establishment of ill-repute, and a 3yr old haitian condom. A recipe for disaster for sure.

Disney
09-04-2006, 16:31
cheap local brew in .5L bottles, an ecuadorian establishment of ill-repute, and a 3yr old haitian condom. A recipe for disaster for sure.

That might be the truest thing ever said here.:p