PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camcorders

Bravo
09-03-2006, 21:49
I'm curious. Has anyone here ever thru or sectioned(100+miles)with a digital camcorder? How did it work out? What cam did you use? What would you suggest to anyone considering this. Thanks

StarLyte
09-03-2006, 22:09
I'm curious. Has anyone here ever thru or sectioned(100+miles)with a digital camcorder? How did it work out? What cam did you use? What would you suggest to anyone considering this. Thanks

Lion King is using this, a professional--Canon GL-2 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=165&modelid=7512) for his Walking with Freedom DVDs. I went on a few forums about digi cameras, checked out several Sonys, they go for around $349, multi function, make sure you check out camera stabilization. The memory card for one Sony was $149 ! So these can run into money. Check out all options and make sure go on forums. Good luck!

LostInSpace
09-03-2006, 22:25
It's not cheap, but if you are really serious about making a backpacking video, the Sanyo HD1 5.1MP MPEG-4 high-definition digital media camera seems to be the camcorder of choice. It is high quality and doesn't weigh too much. Although it runs about $800, it is apparently a really good deal for the features it has. You can search for reviews about it. Apparently Sanyo will release an updated version, the HD1a in October.

hikerjohnd
09-03-2006, 22:50
I took a Sony DCR HC30 for about 200 miles in 2005. I did not like the rechargable battery, but beyond that it is probably no different than carrying a digital camera (well, with some tapes...) They are small enough now that they will not significantly impact your pack weight unless you are toting some serious stuff (like the Canon GL-2!) Anyway, if you are looking to make home movies then any cc will work, if you think some kind of documentary footage is in order, then look for a 3ccd camera. Panasonic has a new GS300 and 500 that are not too expensive and are pretty durable. I am looking at the 500 personally - but may make the step to a Sony DCR VX2100 for professional work.

Bravo
09-04-2006, 15:42
Thanks for the info. I going to be getting a new camcorder for some home video/overseas travel. Then I started thinking about taking it on the trail instead of my regular digital camera. Still not sure what the outcome will be. I haven't shopped around enogh yet to check out the size/weight of batteries/rechargers to see what my best option is.

Keep the info coming if you've got it.

hikerjohnd
09-04-2006, 15:49
Thanks for the info. I going to be getting a new camcorder for some home video/overseas travel. Then I started thinking about taking it on the trail instead of my regular digital camera. Still not sure what the outcome will be. I haven't shopped around enogh yet to check out the size/weight of batteries/rechargers to see what my best option is.

Keep the info coming if you've got it.

Sounds like this is for personal use... You can save $ by not shopping for a 3ccd camera and focus on a camcorder that also takes higher MP stills. In the past a camcorder would take very poor quality stills (1.3 MP or less) but now camcorders are offering 5 MP options. You will be happier with the ability to take better quality stills for sharing with friends over email. My Sony takes 1.8 MP pics and they are down right crappy - very grainy. Happy shopping!

SalParadise
11-14-2006, 02:42
Don't remember what brand it was, but a friend carried one with him; it was a camera, too. and so small. I was really jealous, he captured so many great little interviews I was really jealous that he was smart enough to have that along.