PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Hammocker

ShakeyLeggs
09-04-2006, 17:55
This past weekend I met a whiteblazer on the AT at Alex Kennedy Shelter. He had a HH and we got to talking about hammocks. I told him about a bad experience I had in the past with a Army surplus jungle hammock. He allowed me to get in his HH and all I can say is WOW!! My only lingering concern is I am a stomach sleeper. He assured me that when set up properly it is possible to sleep on my stomach. I have made the decision that I Want A Hammock. I am looking at the HHULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM. I am also looking based on his recomendation for a tarp to go with it. I really like the MacCat but Brian is off at school so my question here is what would everyone suggest? I am also looking to add an under quilt and have my eye on this one JRB No Sniveller. Can't wait to get my hammock system sut up and out on the trail.

peter_pan
09-04-2006, 18:10
Many folks sleep on their sides in hammocks....none that have posted reported significant sleeping on their stomacks (Just jeff and a couple of other say they some time lay on their stomacks for a while prior to rising).

Resolve that in a hammock you will most likely sleep on your back or side....or test your other position option before investing.

Hammocks really are above the rest.

Pan

txulrich
09-04-2006, 19:00
Here's a free suggestion. Goto your nearest REI (or their website) and buy your hammock there. Then try it out for a couple weeks or so. I know you're sold already, but if you find it isn't what you thought it would be, you can take it back for a full refund.

I really love mine. BTW, it is my opinion that an underquilt is the way to go.

Happy hanging!!

Just Jeff
09-04-2006, 19:48
I'm 5'10" and can barely lay on my stomach in the Backpacker UL Asym. But it's not really an issue b/c even though I'm a stomach sleeper at home, in the hammock I usually wake up in about the same position as I fall asleep - my side or back. Sometimes I toss a little bit but very rarely have I really wanted lay on my stomach once I got comfortable.

In my homemade Speer-type hammocks, I usually spend some time on my stomach right before I get up, as Pan said. It's pretty easy to get comfortable and stretch out for a bit on my stomach, but not so easy to actually sleep that way for long.

I'm testing a Crazy Creek hammock right now. I'm pretty impressed with one aspect of it - if I put my Exped Downmat 7 in the pad pocket I can actually sleep on my stomach for a while. Can't do that with the HH or Speers. The Crazy Creek is very comfortable with that pad but not as comfy as either the HH or Speer without it.

Bottom line - don't expect to sleep on your stomach, but don't expect that to be an issue even if you're a stomach sleeper at home (or on the ground). YMMV.

The JRB quilt set is an excellent choice.

Tarps - plenty of choices. If you don't want to wait on a MacCat, look at the JRB. For a few ounces more and quite bit less cost, lots of folks seem happy with the 9x9 at www.sportsmansguide.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com). Or just get an 8x10 from somewhere. There are a some links to tarps here:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingDry.html

Welcome to the club!

Hangman
09-04-2006, 20:47
hey shaky legs. its dr. bigs from the weekend. i said i can side sleep and also sleep quite comfortable in the fetal position. not the stomach. i sleep on my stomach at home. sorry if i confused you.that said i love my hammock. it does have a learning curve which i went through at home first. also this site has been very helpful.love the under quilt from peter pan. i sleep out this past weekend temps in the 55 degree range i was warm that i used my sleeping bag as a quilt and draped over the ridge line inside my hammock so it was just right inside. much better night sleep than in the shelter. oh yea it rained like a mother out there for 2 days. i used a 8x10 tarp i made it through till 6.30 the 1 morning when i got up i saw that one of the seams on the tarp just started to drip a little. my fault forgot to seam seal. i love this hammock i put about 10 nights in it now testing it out. i want to start my through end of march 2007 with it . if anybody has through the whole trail with a hammock i would love to talk to them . i have a ton of questions. that a phone call would be better.pm me if your out there i'll call you or you can call me. shakey leggs, it was great meeting you on the trail you gave me and sneaker tramp alot of good information.

speedy
09-04-2006, 21:34
ShakeyLeggs, welcome to a better night's sleep. The one problem I've found with my hammock is how much less I like winter backpacking and going above the treeline (thankfully not much of that around here) now when I have to go to ground. I'm a stomach sleeper too and while I have done it in my HH bp asym (mostly when my back gets cold), it's not something that you are going make a habit out of. Sleeping in a hamock is more like floating or levitation than gravity pushing you down on one particular side. I suggest one of 3 options with the tarp: 1.) get something cheap to hold you over 'til brian quits being lazy 2.) get a hh hex tarp instead of the stock one 3.) if you've got a sewing machine, I can basically give you instructions on how to make a maccat for ~$50 range and a few hrs worth of work. I'm just finishing up a hex poncho tarp that's a little bigger than a maccat deluxe and is the same basic shape only with a true catenary ridgeline. Whatever tarp you get, you're better off than sleeping on the ground. :D speedy

ShakeyLeggs
09-05-2006, 02:48
Thanks for all the great info. I am going to wait till I can get the MacCat but will get another to use or it will give me time to check out the stock one and see if it will work for me. After Dr.Bigs allowed me to climb into his hammock I am sold. I was only in it for a few seconds but let me tell you it felt so comfortable. I could of hung there all day and night. I just joined the hammockcamping yahoo group so I will be extensivly using all of everyones expertise here and there as I convert from a ground sleeper to a hanger. Again thanks for all the info not only in this thread but in all the other thread I have been reading.

Crash
09-05-2006, 09:05
Welcome to the Hammock club.
In my HH I can actually sleep on my stomach.
BP'ing is so much better in Pennsylvania (ROCKS and MORE ROCKS) when I can hammock and get a great night's sleep.

SGT Rock
09-05-2006, 09:18
Hammocks work well everywhere. If you are looking for some less easy answers and have some time then check out this series of pages I made a while back: http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html

ShakeyLeggs
09-05-2006, 13:56
Thanks Top for the link. I had already found that and read it all. Some really great info. Your site and Jeff's have answered alot of my questions and am going to use alot of the info I have gotten from both sites. I know once I have my system in hand I it will bring up even more questions. As it stands now this will be my system;

1. HH ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM

2. HH SNAKE SKINS 2

3. JRB No Sniveller Under quilt

4. Speer Top Blanket

5. JRB SilNyl Tarp/ MacCat Tarp

I feel based on what I have learned that this will cover most every condition I might encounter on the trail . 3 season of course. If conditins exceed what my system can handle I will go to ground. Does this sound about right to everyone?

Hangman
09-05-2006, 17:33
Shakey, that sounds like a sweet set up. i know you will enjoy it!! A couple of set ups and you will have worked out any set up problems. if any questions do come up. there are plenty of people willing to help out. hows that tooth ache hope you are able to get back on the trail. if you want to do any weekend sections in pa. let me know. i want to get some in for sure in oct. and nov. Dr. Bigs

Just Jeff
09-05-2006, 17:52
Shakey - you don't have a pad to go to ground if things get bad. If you're concerned about temps, you might get a thin torso pad. Adding that to the hammock will help with temps below freezing, and you can use it as a sit pad during breaks and to go to ground if needed.

Personally, if I were getting a JRB to be used primarily as an underquilt for the HH, I'd go for the Nest. IMO, velcroing it to the HH entry slit provides a much better fit than I get with the NS (unless I double them up). YMMV.

Great setup, though!

Hangman
09-05-2006, 17:56
shakey, i had the nest on my set up when you saw it the other day. the no snievler has a duel option of being worn around camp which may be nice. but i have not seen it to compare it to the nest.

ShakeyLeggs
09-05-2006, 18:11
Thanks Jeff & DrBiggs. Yall convinced me I will go with the nest insted of the No Sniveller. As for no pad I was thinking if I had ti go to ground I would use the underquit as my pad. Is this feasable?

DrBiggs The tooth still hurts but I have an appointment later this week at the dentist to get it looked at. Thanks to Orajel it is bearable. As for gettining in a few more weekends sounds like a plan to me. We'll have to make some plans. Then I will be able to pick your brain about my new Hammock hehe. I hope to start buying the components starting next week. Overtime here I come hehe.

Just Jeff
09-05-2006, 18:22
The underquilt will compress and not insulate you from the ground. You could always build a duff bed or a bough bed if you know how and if conditions are that bad. But a 1/4" torso pad only weighs a few ounces (4-7 maybe?) and it can be a sit pad and stuff. Might be worth carrying until temps are no longer below freezing.

I sleep cold, and your setup would keep me comfortable at 40 and probably tolerable to freezing. I'd certainly carry something else if I had a chance of seeing sub-freezing temps. But I've heard of others being good into the 20s with that setup, so you'll have to test it out for yourself.

You could always boil some water and sleep with a hot water bottle on unexpectedly cold nights...that'll warm you right up and you won't have to worry about carrying a pad.

ShakeyLeggs
09-05-2006, 18:52
Thanks Jeff for the great info. I too am a cold sleeper. I think what I will do is take Sgt. Rock's advice from another thread and get a blue pad from Wallyworld and trim it as he suggested. I hope to mainly use it 3 seasons. But the weather never cooperates. I like the ability to mix and match the components of the hammock based on conditions. Another question I have come up with is will I need some other type of weather protection for my under quilt? I know the Nest has a DWR treatment but being down and on the outside of the hammock i was wondering if it would be a good idea to get somthing along the lines of JRB Weather shield to protect it from the soaking mist we sometimes get out on the woods. Just for information sake my system will be mainly used on the AT. All sections. Again I want to thank everyone for putting up with all my questions and providing me with all the input and information.

Hangman
09-05-2006, 19:18
shakey, my under quilt stayed dry this past weekend . but i was also wondering and thinking of using my stock tarp that came with my hh and asking my mom to cut it to size of my under quilt and putting on alittle velco to attach it to the nest. i thought in would also get me a few degrees of extra warmth and protection. it only weights like 6oz. and is silnilon. and free since i already have it as i use a different tarp. does or did anybody try this or think it would be a good idea.? uderquilt gives no insulation or comfort as a pad. as the down just compresses to nothing. but works great as underquilt as you don't compress it because of how its attached to hh.

ShakeyLeggs
09-05-2006, 19:37
The thing that worries me is that with my experience with DWR is that it repelent not water proof. Water can and will eventually soak thru it. I just wonder if it would be a good idea to up the protection durring times of misty rain and morning fog you know the type of precipitation that tends to defeat DWR treatments. While the underquilt is in my pack it will be safe from getting wet.

peter_pan
09-05-2006, 19:40
shakey, my under quilt stayed dry this past weekend . but i was also wondering and thinking of using my stock tarp that came with my hh and asking my mom to cut it to size of my under quilt and putting on alittle velco to attach it to the nest. i thought in would also get me a few degrees of extra warmth and protection. it only weights like 6oz. and is silnilon. and free since i already have it as i use a different tarp. does or did anybody try this or think it would be a good idea.? uderquilt gives no insulation or comfort as a pad. as the down just compresses to nothing. but works great as underquilt as you don't compress it because of how its attached to hh.

Silnyl will hold the evaporating non sensible sweat in the under quilt...not a recommended material.

Pan

Just Jeff
09-05-2006, 19:52
Legs - the Walmart pad is a good addition. I don't like sleeping on a pad b/c of condensation issues - it's just not as comfortable as an underquilt, IMO. But it's a good part of an overall system. In the end, you just have to find whatever works for you - plenty of people are satisfied with pads.

Bigs - here are instructions for turning the HH fly into an undercover:
http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayWarm/HH_UnderflyProject.pdf
Sil isn't breathable so it'll trap moisture inside the underquilt, but may still be drier than rolling fog wetting it. The Weather Shield is made just for that purpose and is breathable, though.

hammock engineer
09-05-2006, 20:44
A larger tarp should help keep the underquilt try. I haven't been in too much weather with my McCat tarp yet, but I have a lot of confidnece in it. If anything gets wet it will be user error. When set up you cannot see any tarp of the quilt or hammock (when picked low). That should block any weather.

ShakeyLeggs
09-05-2006, 21:21
A larger tarp should help keep the underquilt try. I haven't been in too much weather with my McCat tarp yet, but I have a lot of confidnece in it. If anything gets wet it will be user error. When set up you cannot see any tarp of the quilt or hammock (when picked low). That should block any weather.

That is what I was wanting to hear. That is one of the main reasons for getting a tarp other that the stock HH tarp. From all I have been reading I get the feeling that the stock tarp is a tad on the smaller size and a larger tarp is the way to go. I am sure that Tom H is confident in the size of the tarp he supplies with the hammock but I tend to take things a bit farther just for safetys sake. I would like to get the MacCat tarp but Brian is off at school so I will go with the JRB tarp until I can get my hands on one of Brian's.

NCPatrick
09-06-2006, 07:36
I got the 10' x 12' hex fly as a free substitution for the stock tarp on my HH Explorer Deluxe Asym. More than big enough for me.

Quoted from the HH website:
"It can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym or Explorer Deluxe Asym for no additional cost. Just indicate in the "Comments" section of the online orders page that you would prefer the hex fly."

Heater
09-06-2006, 08:24
I got the 10' x 12' hex fly as a free substitution for the stock tarp on my HH Explorer Deluxe Asym. More than big enough for me.

Quoted from the HH website:
"It can be substituted for the regular silicone fly of the Ultralight Backpacker Asym, Explorer Ultralight Asym or Explorer Deluxe Asym for no additional cost. Just indicate in the "Comments" section of the online orders page that you would prefer the hex fly."

Kinda heavy, though. 1 lb 13 oz. (HH Site sez 1 lb 9 oz for th 70D)

You could get the 30D SilNylon from HH. (1 lb. 3 oz according to the HH Site) They are more expensive than a McCat and are not cat cut but HH's provide more coverage.

txulrich
09-06-2006, 09:27
As it stands now this will be my system;

1. HH ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM

2. HH SNAKE SKINS 2

3. JRB No Sniveller Under quilt

4. Speer Top Blanket

5. JRB SilNyl Tarp/ MacCat Tarp

I feel based on what I have learned that this will cover most every condition I might encounter on the trail . 3 season of course. If conditins exceed what my system can handle I will go to ground. Does this sound about right to everyone?

How do you plan on using the snake skins? If you're going to remove the underquilt every morning, #2 are prolly ok. If you want to leave the quilt on and pull the skins over, then you need to do something different as they're too small.

I have a Nest that'll get me down to about 40 w/o any additional insulation. I made a quilt similar to the ORM. In colder temps, I use the Nest as my top quilt. As a top quilt, I've had it down to about 30 wearing only polypro long johns and socks.

BTW, I love my MacCat, but you'll not be able to buy one for many moons. Brian's taking some time (rightfully so) to focus on school.

Welcome to the hangin' crowd!

hammock engineer
09-06-2006, 12:05
Look into a second pair of skins or make your own. Jeff has a good pic on his site of using skins on the tarp also. It should make for easier setup. I think he used a no seeum netting to allow the tarp to dry out.

A couple more things that I have not seem mention on this thread, they are on WB somewhere if you want to search.

The HH will strech some when you get it, no big deal it will go away with time.
Attaching the tarp to the tree below the HH will keep the hammock closer to the trap.
The stock tarp will sag a lot when attached to the HH and not a tree.
Look at tarp tensioners for the tieouts.

ShakeyLeggs
09-06-2006, 13:33
NcPatrick-I think I will stick with the JRB tarp at 9.4 oz. I saw I can make the substitution on the HH site but decided against it due to the weight.

Txulrich-I was planning in removing the nest every morning. But you bring up a good point about getting larger snakeskins and leaving it on. Does anyone have any experience with the #4 snakeskins and the nest?
Will they fit? I can't make any on my own as I don't know how to sew and don't have a sewing machine. But I have been looking for an excuse to buy one and learn.

I have also decided against the Speer top quilt and am going to get the No Sniveller for my top quilt.

Hammock Engineer-Great point about a second set of skins. And a great idea. Does anyone know if the #1's will fit or would I be better off getting a larger set and which ones? As for the tensioners would I have to make a set or can I purchase them somewhere?

I already knew about the sag I am going to encounter in the beginning. Just part of the process. And I also read about attaching the tarp below the hammock and about the stock tarp sagging.That is another of the reasons for going with an aftermarket tarp. But based on the tarp sagging I plan on tying it to the tree instead of keeping it attached to the hammock in the event I use the stock tarp. Thanks for bringing these points up and reminding me of them as I fill my brain with everything I can find about hammock camping.

jlb2012
09-06-2006, 13:42
tarp tensioners are sold by JRB but they are also real easy to make if you know how to tie a few knots - bowline loop, figure eight, and constrictor - use sling shot replacement bands from wally world for the elastic tubing.

Just Jeff
09-06-2006, 14:26
JRB uses stronger bands than Walmart's slingshot tubes. I had both on one trip, and below freezing the Walmart ones were stiff and elongated and didn't add any tension to the lines, while the JRB ones were still working fine. Dunno if that'll affect any of your trips. Here's how I did mine:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTarpTensioners.html

Some folks use the #4 skins with the Nest...apparently the work fine. I use JRB's Python Skins back when they made them. Skins are very easy to make, though - probably easier than a stuff sack. JRB has plans on their DIY page. Might be a good time for your new sewing machine...

Hangman
09-06-2006, 14:47
shakey, the skins i had on my hammock were # 4 that i bought to keep nest on when i wanted to. they do go over hammock and nest with a trick the only thing that i didn't like was it was tight and it did not fold as easy to go into backpack so this trip i chose to take the nest and put in its on stuff sack. i thought the time saving was not a big deal. some told me the jrb used to make a bigger ss the pythom i think. that may have been a little bigger than the #4. i like jeff's idea of makeing a skin out of nosums for the tarp as i would of, but my silnil 8x10 tarp(11oz.) had its own stuff sack attched to it so i just use that, i also use jrb self tensioning lines they are great. i like this tarp set up because you only need 2 tie outs to ground the other 2 to the trees. with the maccat you have 4 to ground and 2 to trees cutting down some possible set up sites. but it looks like a nice tarp.i drove my self crazy trying to figuire out the best set up.(tarp,underquilt,pad ect.)if you want to ask any question you can pm me and i,ll give you my number. i really suck at tryinp and spelling.

txulrich
09-06-2006, 16:38
Some folks use the #4 skins with the Nest...apparently the work fine. I use JRB's Python Skins back when they made them. Skins are very easy to make, though - probably easier than a stuff sack. JRB has plans on their DIY page. Might be a good time for your new sewing machine...

JRB doesn't have link to this on their homepage, so here is the link.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/DIY.htm

I would bet a seamstress would sew these for a few bucks. They wouldn't take all that long to make a pair.

ShakeyLeggs
09-06-2006, 17:40
I found the tensioners on the JrB Site all I had to do was scroll down a bit farther. I also had previously found the plans for the python skins. Looks like it may be time for me to learn how to sew hehe. Thanks everyone. Keep the hints and tips coming. I am learning so much. Thanks.

blackbishop351
09-06-2006, 20:38
Txulrich-I was planning in removing the nest every morning. But you bring up a good point about getting larger snakeskins and leaving it on. Does anyone have any experience with the #4 snakeskins and the nest?
Will they fit? I can't make any on my own as I don't know how to sew and don't have a sewing machine. But I have been looking for an excuse to buy one and learn.

I use my #2 skins on my 9x9 tarp, not my hammock. For the moment, I'm using a modified stuff bag for my HH, with hole in the "closed" end to allow the suspension to come through the stuff bag. This lets me leave the stuff bag attached to the hammock while it's hung - less stuff to keep up with. Pix are here:
http://360.yahoo.com/pulse_0ptional
under photos folder "DIY stuff".

I don't have an underquilt just yet, but I'm planning on using the same setup once I get the quilt, just with a larger stuff bag. I'll leave the quilt on the hammock and stuff the whole thing into the bag like a sleeping bag. So far, I like this setup better than the snakeskins, at least on my hammock. Skins on my tarp works great.

As always, just my .02 :D

blackbishop351
09-06-2006, 20:40
JRB uses stronger bands than Walmart's slingshot tubes. I had both on one trip, and below freezing the Walmart ones were stiff and elongated and didn't add any tension to the lines, while the JRB ones were still working fine. Dunno if that'll affect any of your trips. Here's how I did mine:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearTarpTensioners.html

I made a pair of STLs from Walmart slingshot tubes, and they weren't worth a crap. Not NEARLY as much tension as I like on my tarp. I did, however, find a site that sells different strengths of surgical tubing:
http://www.reefscuba.com/surgical_tubing.htm

I'll be buying some from them when I get the time to make a new set of lines.

Just Jeff
09-06-2006, 23:15
I found a box of therabands at a medical supply shop in Charleston. They had 4-5 different strengths, about 6' long each, for $13. For the prices on that website (plus shipping) you might see if there's a medical supply store near you.

ShakeyLeggs
09-07-2006, 00:05
Man you guys are giving me some great ideas. I like blackbishop351's idea about the stuffsacks. I will definately look into this.

I was doing some reading and saw that at low temps the homade tensioners tended to get stiff and not supply the tension desired. But I will do more research.

I think I am going to go ahead and buy JrB The Basic 3 Season Hammock Quilt Set. Which will save me $25 over buying both seperate.

SGT Rock
09-07-2006, 01:50
In colder weather you could always just hang your shoes off those points on the hammock. The weight would pull them down and keep them tensioned.

ShakeyLeggs
09-07-2006, 02:09
Great idea Top. I have been looking at the JrB Self Tensioning Lines if I don't make my own. By the way you and Jeff have great sites with alot of great info on Hammocks Thanks to both of you for the work you put into getting the info out there for all us newbies.

Seeker
09-07-2006, 12:59
tarp tensioners are sold by JRB but they are also real easy to make if you know how to tie a few knots - bowline loop, figure eight, and constrictor - use sling shot replacement bands from wally world for the elastic tubing.

wally world sells a bag of small bungi cords for about $2.50 in the automotive section. they're about 8" long with a small hook on each end. i think there are 10 in a bag. remove one hook. thread one end of your fly tie-out line through the loop in the bungi and knot it in place close to the tarp. then, however far down you want for adequate tension, make an overhand knot on a bight and you have a place to hook in.

you can also do the same thing for putting tension along the ridgeline. just bring a bungi with both hooks intact and clip one end to the ring in the tarp, and the other to the sliding prusik-knot-like hook on the hammock rope. i'm assuming a HH here, but you can make it work for a free-hanging tarp as well.

i'm not sure how much more durable surgical tubing is, but this method is pretty simple and cheap.

NCPatrick
09-07-2006, 14:15
<snip>...simple and cheap.
Thank you Seeker, that's great advice, and you're speaking my language too. Simple, Cheap, Simple, Cheap! :D

hammock engineer
09-07-2006, 14:21
wally world sells a bag of small bungi cords for about $2.50 in the automotive section. they're about 8" long with a small hook on each end. i think there are 10 in a bag. remove one hook. thread one end of your fly tie-out line through the loop in the bungi and knot it in place close to the tarp. then, however far down you want for adequate tension, make an overhand knot on a bight and you have a place to hook in.

you can also do the same thing for putting tension along the ridgeline. just bring a bungi with both hooks intact and clip one end to the ring in the tarp, and the other to the sliding prusik-knot-like hook on the hammock rope. i'm assuming a HH here, but you can make it work for a free-hanging tarp as well.

i'm not sure how much more durable surgical tubing is, but this method is pretty simple and cheap.

That's a good idea. I used excerise tubing. I would be careful with the bungie cords in cold weather.

bf24
09-11-2006, 19:51
How does a hammock compare with a tent when it's packed up?

speedy
09-11-2006, 20:32
How does a hammock compare with a tent when it's packed up?

Here's a picture (http://www.hikinghq.net/images/020608/IMG00001.jpg) from SGT Rock's site. That's packed farily loose. I'd say a little bigger than a nalgene when packed tightly in a stuff sack. :D speedy

blackbishop351
09-12-2006, 02:56
Here's mine next to a 20 oz. water bottle (stuff sack on the left):
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/quietguyinthecorner2002/detail?.dir=9dffre2&.dnm=2ec9re2.jpg&.src=ph
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/quietguyinthecorner2002/detail?.dir=9dffre2&.dnm=8b0ere2.jpg&.src=ph

bf24
09-13-2006, 22:11
Hey, thanks for the pics! That sums it up pretty good I guess. I'm leaving for a week-long SNP hike in a couple weeks, and hope to run into one of you tree-hangers out there so I can check this out up close.:D

ShakeyLeggs
09-18-2006, 11:57
As everyone knows from a post I made the other day I have 2 hammocks on their way to me. Well today I recieved the first of the 2. I now have my hands on a brand spanking new Expedition Asym. Now just have to find time to get out and set it up. Also have to find 2 trees. Man am I stoked hehe. Can't wait until my HH UL BP shows up. I have been practicing the figure 8 knot hopefully i have it down enough to do a good job.

ShakeyLeggs
09-18-2006, 13:06
Well I could not wait had to set it up. It took forever to get it up. But this I am sure will get better as time progresses. Well I just watched the lashing vid again and see one mistake I made. I kept passing the end of the rope thru the eyes on the tree huggers. The place I had to set it up was not wide enough to get a taught hang but it werked for my first attempt. It was set up between a tree and cloths line pole. Believe it or not it held my weight. And I was able to get comfy in it. It was a bit hot inside as I had the tarp close to the hammock. I do see some things I am going to have to get. One being the tie out lines for the sides and the tarp are going to heve to be the ones that reflect light in the dark. Can't wait till I can sleep in my hammock. Here are some pics;

http://tinyurl.com/fuuq2

http://tinyurl.com/z8hbh

http://tinyurl.com/jhfg4

http://tinyurl.com/zabhf

http://tinyurl.com/krann

Hangman
09-18-2006, 15:12
Shakey, its gets quicker everytime you set it up.Try to stretcech out the hammock as tight as you can for the first few times as it will strech out some. i start out with the straps about 6 feet i think on the tree. the hammock is at least belly high before i get in, as it will strech down when you get your weight in. also i set foot end about 5 inches higher than the head end. if your using a seperate tarp than than the stock one, if you want more air set it maybe 3 inches above you hammock tree straps when tying off. in rain or cold i tie it just below my straps to bring it closer. any questions give me a hollar. dr. bigs

hammock engineer
09-18-2006, 18:17
Well I could not wait had to set it up. It took forever to get it up. But this I am sure will get better as time progresses. Well I just watched the lashing vid again and see one mistake I made. I kept passing the end of the rope thru the eyes on the tree huggers. The place I had to set it up was not wide enough to get a taught hang but it werked for my first attempt. It was set up between a tree and cloths line pole. Believe it or not it held my weight. And I was able to get comfy in it. It was a bit hot inside as I had the tarp close to the hammock. I do see some things I am going to have to get. One being the tie out lines for the sides and the tarp are going to heve to be the ones that reflect light in the dark. Can't wait till I can sleep in my hammock. Here are some pics;

http://tinyurl.com/fuuq2

http://tinyurl.com/z8hbh

http://tinyurl.com/jhfg4

http://tinyurl.com/zabhf

http://tinyurl.com/krann

Welcome to the crowd.

As Biggs said setup time will improve with practice. I think I used to average 10 minute setups. What I did when I first got my HH as set it up just like I wanted, get into it, and then retighten it. That will help with the streching at first.

You may want to work on my tarp pitching. From the pics it looked like there was a lot of slack in it. You are going to want to keep it tight. I am not sure if a loose tarp would do any damage to itself, but it would get annoying all night.

I am been playing around with my HH the last couple of weeks. I have pitched it with more or less sag, less sag is more comfortable to me. It still wasn't uncomfortable with more sag. Got to love how your hammock is a little forgiving in its setup.

Michele
09-18-2006, 21:38
Hey Shakeyleggs, I had to chuckle when I saw your pics of your first attempt, because it could have been mine! I too am brand new, and just last weekend hung a hammock/tarp for the first time. I thought you stole my pics! :D I was a little "saggy" too...hey comes w/age right? :eek:

I just got my new HH UB A-sym TODAY!!! Can't wait to try it. From what I read, you are planning on using about the same set-up. I'm going to the hammock camping event in N.C. this weekend and I'll tell you how everything worked for me...as a fellow newbie. Here's what I'll be using:

HH Ultralite Asym
MacCat Delux Tarp (I lucked out here on WB and saw it for sale last week)
Nest Underquilt
Western Mountainerring 20 degree down bag (full zip I can use it as an overquilt or crawl in on especially cold nights)
I'm going to make a wally world pad tomorrow night
JRB Self Tensioning lines for my tarp (if they make it in time..probably will)

Friday night will be the first night I set this all up as well as the first night to sleep in it (brave huh?). So, stay tuned, I'll let you know what I learned and we can compare notes.

ShakeyLeggs
09-19-2006, 14:09
Hey Shakeyleggs, I had to chuckle when I saw your pics of your first attempt, because it could have been mine! I too am brand new, and just last weekend hung a hammock/tarp for the first time. I thought you stole my pics! :D I was a little "saggy" too...hey comes w/age right? :eek:
Yea it was pretty lame for a first attempt. But in my defence the tree and pole were a bit to close to get a taught hang. I hate bein a newbie:D

I just got my new HH UB A-sym TODAY!!! Can't wait to try it. From what I read, you are planning on using about the same set-up. I'm going to the hammock camping event in N.C. this weekend and I'll tell you how everything worked for me...as a fellow newbie. Here's what I'll be using:

HH Ultralite Asym
MacCat Delux Tarp (I lucked out here on WB and saw it for sale last week)
Nest Underquilt
Western Mountainerring 20 degree down bag (full zip I can use it as an overquilt or crawl in on especially cold nights)
I'm going to make a wally world pad tomorrow night
JRB Self Tensioning lines for my tarp (if they make it in time..probably will) I plan on getting the JrB Nest and No Sniveller for mine. I want a MacCat Delux as well but will have to wait for Brian to start up again. I wish I could make it to the hang out this weekend but alas I won't make it due to werk.

Friday night will be the first night I set this all up as well as the first night to sleep in it (brave huh?). So, stay tuned, I'll let you know what I learned and we can compare notes.
Waiting with baited breath. Pics are anticipated and a complete trip report. :D

eric_plano
09-19-2006, 16:41
Michelle are you using the HH Undercover with the nest or just the nest? Just curious as my setup will be similar to yours.

peter_pan
09-20-2006, 08:03
Michelle are you using the HH Undercover with the nest or just the nest? Just curious as my setup will be similar to yours.

Whoa....

Do not put a JRB Nest inside the HH undercover... They have different design parameters...

The HH under cover is made to fit tightly on a hammock with only a thin open cell pad between them...It does not have adequate room for the JRB Nest to expand to it full 2+ inches of loft...Putting The JRB Nest in the HH undercover may reduce the thermal protection by 50 percent or more.

Also, the HH under cover is made of silnyl, which does not breath... It is made to completely cover the hammock ends, with several inches of the top bug net at the ends covered....It also wraps over the sides and covers the outer 1-2 inches of bug net on the whole perimeter... Nonsensible sweat that passes from the sleeper thru the hammock to the JRB Nest can not readily evaporate and becomes trapped in the shell or the quilt as condesation...Further reducing efficiency of the quilt.

The Nest has a DWR finish and does not routinely need further wind or water protection in a well selected/protected site...

Pan

Long feet
09-20-2006, 08:55
Hey,

Tamarack and I will be in the lower section of SNP Oct 20-22. I will be bringing my hennessy explorer ultralight a-sym and my jacks are better 3 season set. Let us know if you are in the area and you can see my setup.

Hey, thanks for the pics! That sums it up pretty good I guess. I'm leaving for a week-long SNP hike in a couple weeks, and hope to run into one of you tree-hangers out there so I can check this out up close.:D

eric_plano
09-20-2006, 10:06
Whoa...Do not put a JRB Nest inside the HH undercover... They have different design parameters...

Hi Pan,

I wasn't dedcriptive enough in my question. I meant to ask if the Undercover would be on the Hammock(for the purpose of the pad)...then the Nest under that, not inside the Undercover. Sorry for the confusion!

hammock engineer
09-20-2006, 11:14
Hi Pan,

I wasn't dedcriptive enough in my question. I meant to ask if the Undercover would be on the Hammock(for the purpose of the pad)...then the Nest under that, not inside the Undercover. Sorry for the confusion!

In terms of price and weight I would go a simpliar route. I just bring a pad along for when it gets really cold, sub 30-40. I throw the pad on the inside under me. I still have the nest on the outside. It isn't as comfortable as the nest only, but warmer. I only had to do this once, but I only spent 1 sub freezing night in my HH so far.

Having a setup consist of HH, then undercover, then JRB quilt could theoricially work. Someone with more experience with the undercover and the underquilt would have to chime in on if the quilt would fit underneath.

Michele
09-20-2006, 13:30
Hi Pan,

Hey eric,

No I won't have an undercover. I just went to Wally world last night, bought the $12.00 blue cc eggcrate foam pad in the camping section (it's 24" wide) and cut it down to my height. I read on Sgt. Rock's site that cutting it to about 18" at the foot end works well, so I basically tapered my cut from about mid-calf to the foot end, where it is is 18" wide.

So, my entire set-up from ground up is Nest, Hammock bottom, CC Blue Pad, Me w/mid-weight thermals-hat-socks-mittens if needed, WM Ultralite full zip 20-degree bag, Hammock bug netting, MacCat Delux tarp.

I figure that if I'm not warm in this, I'd probably not be much warmer in a tent, so I'd rather be comfortable and freezing than laying on the hard ground and freezing. :D

And I will be taking my camera and take as many pics as I can, and provide a detailed trip report for all other newbies out there.

And as my impeccable good luck would have it (I do have REALLY good luck) I was unexpectedly paid some $ 2 nights ago for helping out a friend for the past 3 months w/some stuff with her house, and now I really CAN afford to go this weekend! :banana I love it when life works out like that. See everyone there on Friday.

ShakeyLeggs
09-20-2006, 14:02
Well the Fedx god was good to me today. My HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym arrived today. And being the gear head I am I had to set it up. Due to my hanging location in my back yard and not having a proper distance between trees and the only tree I could tie off to being a big brute I had to use a side branch. Also the other end had to be tied to a cloths line pole. Therefore my foot end is about a foot higher than the head end. But I was able to get a tighter hang this time. This attempt did raise a few questions. Seing that I don't have 4 hands how do I keep tension on the hammock and tie the final figure 8 knot. I got it but it was a frustrating experience. Also not being up to speed with silnylon tarps which side goes out the shiny side or the dull side?
My set up time today was a tad faster I went from about 15 min to about 13 min. All due to not having 4 hands hehe. I also found on this model that the tie out strings on the tarp are slippery and will not hold with 2 half hitches. Have to find a better knot. If any one sees anything I am doing wrong or could do better please feel free to let me know.
Here will be my final set up once I am done;

HH Hammock either the Expedition Asym or the Ultralight Backpacker Asym
JrB Under quilt
JrB No Sniveller
Larger Tarp (Hopefully MacCat Deluxe waiting for Brian to start back up)
JrB Self Tensioning lines

Here are some pics;

http://tinyurl.com/jsjab

http://tinyurl.com/krgf9

http://tinyurl.com/gdcht

http://tinyurl.com/h64j9

Just Jeff
09-20-2006, 14:16
Michele - if you're not warm in that this weekend, you need to see a doctor. :p

Shakey - lots of folks (like me) hang the foot end several inches higher than the head end. I probably hang it 6-8" higher depending on the site and how I feel. It helps me stay centered in the hammock so my feet aren't pushing up against the end of the hammock.

Michele
09-20-2006, 14:24
[quote=Just Jeff]Michele - if you're not warm in that this weekend, you need to see a doctor. :p

Man...isn't THAT the truth, seeing it's only supposed to be in the 50's right? Although...I used to live in Hawaii, and I'd get cold while laying on the beach, when the clouds went in front of the sun. I'm too young to have bad circulation!! :eek:

eric_plano
09-20-2006, 14:25
Thanks Michele! My HH came with an undercover so I was a tad confused about whether I would need it w/ a JRB Nest. At this point I think it will go into the closet after I order the Nest.

I'm excited, mine should be here today and I can stop worrying about the hypothetical questions :D

Hope your weekend hammock hanging goes well!

Michele
09-20-2006, 14:44
Thanks Michele! My HH came with an undercover so I was a tad confused about whether I would need it w/ a JRB Nest. At this point I think it will go into the closet after I order the Nest.

I'm excited, mine should be here today and I can stop worrying about the hypothetical questions :D

Hope your weekend hammock hanging goes well!

Which HH did you order that came w/the undercover? Just curious. You know....I'd bet after you get it, your hypothetcial questions list will double in size! Once a gear head...always a gear head. ;) I will consider my hammock weekend a success if I can make it through 2 nights w/out waking up w/my ass on the ground! :D

eric_plano
09-20-2006, 14:51
I found one in the WB Selling Gear forum a week or so ago. It had a number of extras with it, including the undercover.
I'm sure you'll be fine out there. Prolly come back as an expert and answer all of our questions ;)

Outlaw
09-20-2006, 15:23
I also found on this model that the tie out strings on the tarp are slippery and will not hold with 2 half hitches. Have to find a better knot.

Shakey--Try using a bowline knot.

Michele, have you noticed any change in the climate from HI to MI? LOL

Michele
09-20-2006, 15:25
Michele, have you noticed any change in the climate from HI to MI? LOL[/quote]

You know....my snowboard seems to work a lot better now! :D

ShakeyLeggs
09-21-2006, 02:44
I found a sweet tarp and am wondering if anyone has experience with it. Might be a tad heavy but it looks good. What does everyone think?

http://tinyurl.com/psa8g

Heater
09-21-2006, 03:39
I found a sweet tarp and am wondering if anyone has experience with it. Might be a tad heavy but it looks good. What does everyone think?

http://tinyurl.com/psa8g

3 tie outs per side as opposed to one (per side) for a square tarp or two for a hex is more trouble and weight. when including the stakes, than I want. Might limit your sites too. I'd pass on it.

I'd go with the Hennessy hex tarp or McCat if you want more coverage than you get with stock, diamond shaped, tarp.

...or a larger diamond shaped "Neo" tarp. :D

Hangman
09-21-2006, 07:49
Shakey, i agree too many tie outs with that eno tarp you'll have some trouble with finding just the right spot to hang you hammock.

Just Jeff
09-21-2006, 08:01
For bigger than that one and barely more weight, but half the price, you can get the 12x12 Gear Guide tarp from www.sportsmansguide.com (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) (neo's tarp). Plus it only has one tie-out per side so you'll save 3 oz on stakes and line.

Personally, I'd go with a MacCat or JRB. If money's more important than weight, many folks seem very happy with neo's tarp. YMMV.

ShakeyLeggs
09-21-2006, 12:38
Thanks for the advice guys. I would like to get one of Brians tarps but will wait until he gets back up and running. In the interum I will go with the JrB tarp. Gotta admit that that eno tarp looks interesting though.