PDA

View Full Version : Hey Double rainbow owners

humunuku
09-05-2006, 11:43
I recently got the DR with the sewn-in floor, and have one question about the floor. Should the floor walls pretty much be standing up all around the tent? It seems like they should, but mine don't even come close. I mean at the corners their up, but in between the corner hooks the wall lays flat. Am I doing something wrong? It seems to me that when the floor is clipped in the up position that it should be pretty much up all the way around, right? (basically I spent a rainy weekend in the DR and had to hold the floor wall up with my hand to keep the splatter from getting on my head...not the best way to sleep).

attroll
09-05-2006, 12:44
I recently got the DR with the sewn-in floor, and have one question about the floor. Should the floor walls pretty much be standing up all around the tent? It seems like they should, but mine don't even come close. I mean at the corners their up, but in between the corner hooks the wall lays flat. Am I doing something wrong? It seems to me that when the floor is clipped in the up position that it should be pretty much up all the way around, right? (basically I spent a rainy weekend in the DR and had to hold the floor wall up with my hand to keep the splatter from getting on my head...not the best way to sleep).

Did you have it staked out?

chicote
09-05-2006, 14:16
I had one DR sent to me that was missing the center clips that the floor attaches to to hold the walls up. The second tent sent had the clips. I did find that the elastic band on the flooring to be too long. So I tied a simple knot on them to reduce the length so that when attached to the clip the walls stay up. I hope this helps.

How did you find the tent held up in the rain? I have a few leaks that I'm trying to seam seal better.

humunuku
09-05-2006, 17:54
I had one DR sent to me that was missing the center clips that the floor attaches to to hold the walls up. The second tent sent had the clips. I did find that the elastic band on the flooring to be too long. So I tied a simple knot on them to reduce the length so that when attached to the clip the walls stay up. I hope this helps.

I do have center clips on the sides, should there also be some along the side where your head/feet would go? I did have my tent staked out, but the floor walls just don't even come close to standing up.

How did you find the tent held up in the rain? I have a few leaks that I'm trying to seam seal better.

I have sealed it 3 times and have one tiny leak at one of the velcro straps for rolling up the beak...very minor problem (should be solved easily)...if I could get the floor walls to stand up, I'd be worry free in the rain since the splatter was the real problem. (i was in a pretty hard rain in the Smokies, so I think this was an excellent test for the tent...I did get some misting at times from the hard rain, but that is expected from silnylon.

humunuku
09-05-2006, 17:57
Did you have it staked out?

oh it was staked out...just seems like too much slack in the floor walls...maybe i'm staking it wrong? As soon as the weather dries out, I do some more playing with it, I was pretty wornout when putting up the tent...maybe I did something wrong (although I can't imagine screwing up such an easy procedure)

chicote
09-06-2006, 08:26
I do have center clips on the sides, should there also be some along the side where your head/feet would go? I did have my tent staked out, but the floor walls just don't even come close to standing up.

There should be 6 clips that hold the floor up. One in each corner and one on each side by the zipper entrance.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2006, 08:37
Humunuku, I've seen references to the DR that cite splatter and condensation problems on a number of sites. I've heard the manufacturer is sending some sort of fix-it-kit to owners. You might want to PM him here. His user name is hshires.

lishen
09-07-2006, 00:29
Humunuku--
I've had the same problems although I wasn't camping out in the rain. No matter how you stake it out, it just seems like there is too much fabric and is impossible to keep it taught. I even tied a knot in the fabric and secured it through the loops to try and keep the floor walls up off the floor and taught but no luck. Perhaps Henry will chime in and offer us some advice...

humunuku
09-07-2006, 18:53
I'll give him a call, but I believe he's out backpacking (?) 'til sept 14th...I post what I find out

Does Anyone know how the pole extenders work for shorter trekking poles? (its more than just slipping them over the tip of the pole)

Big Dawg
09-25-2006, 19:37
Humunuku, I've seen references to the DR that cite splatter and condensation problems on a number of sites. I've heard the manufacturer is sending some sort of fix-it-kit to owners. You might want to PM him here. His user name is hshires.

Henry, is there any "fix-it-kit" I/we should know about? Are there any ongoing/resolved issues I should be aware of regarding the DR?

MedicineMan
09-25-2006, 21:36
1. me too on needing to make a second effort on the seam-sealing
2. me too on the mid-bungie that holds up the floor, had to shorten it
with a knot
3. on the pole extenders, i just carry a short piece of pvc to use with
trekking poles.

though not a fan of tents in general, i still find the DR the nicest/lightest/most thought out/freestanding/most headroom tent out there...

chicote
09-26-2006, 11:31
By now DR owners should have received an email from Mr. Shires about options for the Fix it Kit.

Big Dawg
09-26-2006, 12:36
By now DR owners should have received an email from Mr. Shires about options for the Fix it Kit.

I just received the email today.