PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering female sizing question

ADKMel
09-05-2006, 19:01
I have the wonderful opportunity to get myself a western mountaineering bag. I'm trying to decide between the 20 degree Ultralite and the 15 degree Apache Super MF. I mostly backpack in VT and NH and I definitely sleep cold. However, my main concern is that I'm a small female at 5'2" and 100 lbs, so I'm worried that the shoulder girth of the bag might be too big. Are there any smaller people using these bags who can give me feedback on the sizing?

As a side note,I did "try on" the Sierra Designs Solar Flare today and it fit nice. It fits to 5'5" and the shoulder girth is 57". For the WM the website says they fit to 5'6" and the shoulder girth is 59". To me the size difference is minimal, is my thinking correct?

Thanks so much for your answers!

Sly
09-05-2006, 19:09
Don't know about the women's Western Mountaineering bags I'll sell you a slightly used women's Marmot Pinnacle for $150-

http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=bags&subcat=6&style_id=I2354

ADKMel
09-05-2006, 20:19
I don't believe WM has women's specific sizing, so that's why I was wondering if a small woman would find their bags too big.

Thanks for the Marmot offer, but I definitelt want a WM.

Sly
09-05-2006, 20:40

Yeah, me too. Looking to replace a Campmor down bag....

The Marmot was my girlfriends and I was always envious, so nice, light, and fluffy. I tried it recently and it just barely fits me lenght wise, I'm 6', but my left shoulder hung out the bag. :(

speedy
09-05-2006, 22:12
What do you use for shelter? A 2" difference in girth in next to nothing. Divided by pi, that's ~.6 inches of difference in diameter. :D speedy

MAD777
09-05-2006, 22:17
Being a guy, take this with a grain of salt. The Ultralite has the smallest girth of the WM bags. On their web site there is a link to their "specifications" page that gives all the weights and sizes. If you can get a 5'6" bag it shouldn't be too big. That is what my wife has and she is 5'2" and weighs 115. With a little extra room left over, it allows you to wear a jacket and insulated pants inside to extend the bag to lower temperatures. We hike in the Whites in New Hampshire and you never know when the thermometer might drop unexpetantly. WM are the best bags in my opinion and they have a full length zipper which lets you use it as a quilt if the thermometer goes the other way!

The Will
09-05-2006, 23:22

You certainly won't go wrong with a WM bag and I wouldn't try to stear you otherwise, but just a question: Have you looked at Feathered Friends bags? They make women specific sizes (narrower shoulders, wider hips), and IMHO they are equal in quality to WM. Fit is important and either too small or too large a bag will decrease the bags efficiency.

gumball
09-06-2006, 05:20
I just bought a WM 20 degree bag in the shorter size--I am 114 lbs/5'4". I think you'd be comfortable in either of the two you are looking at (yes, I am female, and very cold sleeper).

ADKMel
09-06-2006, 06:14
You certainly won't go wrong with a WM bag and I wouldn't try to stear you otherwise, but just a question: Have you looked at Feathered Friends bags? They make women specific sizes (narrower shoulders, wider hips), and IMHO they are equal in quality to WM. Fit is important and either too small or too large a bag will decrease the bags efficiency.

Yes, I did look at feathered friends. I'm a little concerned that it would be too small. They offer their small bags to fit to 5'3" with a 54" shoulder girth. I think I will try the WM first, and if it's too big, try the feathered friends.

rswanson
09-06-2006, 17:17
Consider Mont Bell's Super Stretch bags as well. Most owners seem to put them on par with WM, Feathered Friends, Valandre, etc. While I haven't tried one I've read lots of comments about how they're "the most comfortable bag I've even owned". The stretch fabric will conform to your body and I believe will get down to 55" shoulder girth. Where length is concerned, you can push the last baffle up inside the bag and seal it off with a drawstring, if you're shorter.

Mont Bell (http://www.montbell.com/america/index.asp)

lilygrrrl1
09-06-2006, 20:10
hi there!

i - in fact - have a WM ultralite bag. it's a regular (5'6") length.

i'm 5'5" and 120#, have narrower shoulders, and am a 'cold sleeper.'

i'm VERY PLEASED with this bag. i used this bag just this past weekend in the PA/NJ area of the AT and had to unzip during the night (with me sleeping in short sleeve shirt and boxers)! granted it only got down to low 50's during the night...but still.

the bag itself has a nice neck cuff and more than adequate head and neck cinch system.

so far...with it packing very small...weighing only 1# 8 oz....and having great loft....i'm extremely pleased! :)

be well,
krinkles

Michele
09-06-2006, 23:02
I am 5' 5 1/2" female around 175 lbs. I crawled into the WM ultralite 20-degree 5'6" bag (thinking I'd buy that length) and I felt like I was in a straight jacket, so my guess is that you'd be fine in it. I ended up w/the 6' long bag and I used it last weekend. It got into the low 50's, and I got hot...which is GOOD news for me, because I sleep cold. I love my WM bag.

ADKMel
09-07-2006, 06:19
Thanks for all of the replies. At the moment I have a WM Ultralite and a Feathered Friends Egret heading my way to compare. I have a feeling it will be a tough decision! :D