PDA

View Full Version : Are rice cakes good for the AT?

Moondancer
09-05-2006, 20:13
I have not heard anyone mention things like rice cakes as a possible food to pack on the AT. Are they worth packing?

max patch
09-05-2006, 20:16
No. Too bulky and too low in calories.

Having said that I'm positive someone will come in behind me and post that they are the greatest thing in the world to take on a hike.

neo
09-05-2006, 20:18
No. Too bulky and too low in calories.

Having said that I'm positive someone will come in behind me and post that they are the greatest thing in the world to take on a hike.

that is my thoughts also,to bulky and to low in calories:cool: neo

Moondancer
09-05-2006, 20:23
Thank You for your response.

Skidsteer
09-05-2006, 20:24
Besides, they taste awful.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-05-2006, 20:29
Moondance, try to find nutritionally dense foods are that fairly light and don't need extensive preparation. If you are looking for snacks to nibble while hiking, try some of the cereal bars now available in the breakfast cereal section at the grocery. Corn chips also pack well and are high in calories.

sarbar
09-05-2006, 20:50
Now, on the other hand, the soy mini cakes are downright good! (They sell them next to the rice ones) Geni Soy is the best I have had. And they are high in protien :) (And light to carry). Try the BBQ flavor. Yummers!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-05-2006, 20:54
So those soy cakes are edible? I'd been afraid try those.

Lone Wolf
09-05-2006, 20:57
I have not heard anyone mention things like rice cakes as a possible food to pack on the AT. Are they worth packing?
Hell no! Those things are for anorexic Hollyweird chicks.

speedy
09-05-2006, 21:29
They are the greatest thing in the world to take on a hike!

For instance:
They make great SUL replacements for small cut sleeping pads. Just put one under each hip and shoulder and you're set.
If a bear attacks, just shield yourself with them. No bear is dumb enough to eat those things.

Honestly I don't mind them that bad, but I'd leave them at home while you're on the trail. Unless you're crawling along and pigging out all the way, you're burning way more calories than you can possibly intake. You need all you can get. :D speedy

sarbar
09-05-2006, 21:42
So those soy cakes are edible? I'd been afraid try those.
Yes! The Geni Soy ones are tasty :) They make BBQ, Cheddar, Ranch, blah blah blah. Ok, they are an acquired taste, but I love them :D

hikerjohnd
09-05-2006, 21:56
Well, you could smear peanut butter on a rice cake and then maybe it would be OK. They are more durable than some breads - how are they calorie wise compared to breads?

saimyoji
09-05-2006, 21:57
New trail sport: Skeet Hiking!! :banana

Skidsteer
09-05-2006, 22:27
Well, you could smear peanut butter on a rice cake and then maybe it would be OK. They are more durable than some breads - how are they calorie wise compared to breads?

Hell, rice cakes are more durable than Dropstoppers. Although I wouldn't wear a rice cake in the rain.

..and I'm thinkin' peanut butter smeared on a rain coat would taste better than the average rice cake. :p

peter_pan
09-06-2006, 08:14
Hell, rice cakes are more durable than Dropstoppers. Although I wouldn't wear a rice cake in the rain.

..and I'm thinkin' peanut butter smeared on a rain coat would taste better than the average rice cake. :p

The bears think so....tooo.

Pan

K0OPG
09-06-2006, 08:47
they are great but yes they are bulky. Just pack some 4x5 cut pieces of cardboard and smear peanut butter on them. tastes the same and takes up less space!:banana

MOWGLI
09-06-2006, 09:02

I carry them sometimes. They go great with cheese - as do slices of apple & fig newtons.

Moondancer
09-06-2006, 09:17
Thank you for all of your responses. I am a Newbie and planning to walk the AT. Unfortunately I am one of those persons who CANNOT stand Ramen Noodles and am not very fond of Lipton Noodles and Sauce. I am trying to find food I can survive on while hiking the AT. So far, I am not doing too good as far as food ideas.

MOWGLI
09-06-2006, 09:25
Thank you for all of your responses. I am a Newbie and planning to walk the AT. Unfortunately I am one of those persons who CANNOT stand Ramen Noodles and am not very fond of Lipton Noodles and Sauce. I am trying to find food I can survive on while hiking the AT. So far, I am not doing too good as far as food ideas.

Moondancer:

Don't worry about being a Newbie or not. When it comes to food, carry what you want to eat and are willing or able to haul in your pack. You couldn't pay me to eat a Ramen (seriously), but I like rice cakes. Go figure. Of course, a nice block of Asiago, Pepper Jack or Smoked Cheddar or Gouda adds some calories and flavor to the cakes. :banana

Alligator
09-06-2006, 09:42
Moondancer:

Don't worry about being a Newbie or not. When it comes to food, carry what you want to eat and are willing or able to haul in your pack. You couldn't pay me to eat a Ramen (seriously), but I like rice cakes. Go figure. Of course, a nice block of Asiago, Pepper Jack or Smoked Cheddar or Gouda adds some calories and flavor to the cakes. :bananaSounds a bit like stone soup;) .

Rice cakes are sort of bulky and low calorie, but really if you aren't out there full time and you like them, bring them.

How about pita bread?

Fiddler
09-06-2006, 09:52
If you are concerned about the nutrition value of foods check these links:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
http://www.oc.edu/staff/phil.heffington/FoodCalories.htm

Also a very good one on food and the preparation of foods for a hike:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

Lots of good info.

Frosty
09-06-2006, 09:55
Thank you for all of your responses. I am a Newbie and planning to walk the AT. Unfortunately I am one of those persons who CANNOT stand Ramen Noodles and am not very fond of Lipton Noodles and Sauce. I am trying to find food I can survive on while hiking the AT. So far, I am not doing too good as far as food ideas.Leave town with a bag of bagels (get the bagged ones, they last longer than deli ones) and carry a jar of peanut better or Nutella. Better snack IMO.

Try the packs of instant mashed potatoes. Come in 4 oz and 2 oz sizes. Four-ounce size has several flavors. Find 'em in supermaket aisle with instant potatoes. If you carry a few pint-sized Zip-Loc bags, you can pour the hot water into bag with potatoes and not have to wash pot. Use more water than directions call for. You can easily eat runny potatoes, but they won't reconstitute right if not enough water is used. Get a 3-ounce package of Hormel real bacon bits and mix some in with the potatoes. Top off with a Snickers bar and you have a nice, wholesome, rewarding and lightweight dinner.

Some of the wetter Lipton sides are better than others. Teriyaki noodles is good, especially if supplemented with beef jerky.

Two Speed
09-06-2006, 09:58
. . . How about pita bread?Mmmm, pita pockets, the only PITA I like. Let's not forget tortillas, either.

Back to rice cakes, I'm pretty sure you can crisp them over your alky stove and use them instead of pumice. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2006, 10:28
Unfortunately I am one of those persons who CANNOT stand Ramen Noodles and am not very fond of Lipton Noodles and Sauce.Look into the rice-based instant dishes. Also, if you like Asian foods, try the noodle packs you can find only in Asian grocery stores - they are far more flavorful and comparable in cost and nutrition to ramen. Finally, if you have a food co-op near by, check out dried hummus, falafel, and refried beans. I use ramen in place of other pasta in dishes normally made with things like elbows, angel hair, etc. I join you in thinking standard ramen is nasty.

Alligator
09-06-2006, 10:38
Mmmm, pita pockets, the only PITA I like. Let's not forget tortillas, either.

Back to rice cakes, I'm pretty sure you can crisp them over your alky stove and use them instead of pumice. :)Haha. Olive oil is good with pitas, and works for PITA in an emergency:eek: .

kncats
09-06-2006, 20:24
Quaker Cheddar Cheese Rice Cakes are about 140 calories per ounce (70 calories per 15 grams). In my mind that's reasonably calorie dense. We look for food that runs about 100 calories per ounce minimum. So yes, they may be bulky, but they definitely have enough calories to make them worth carrying.

atraildreamer
09-06-2006, 21:01
Rice cakes=styrofoam cakes. :eek:

Moondancer
09-07-2006, 00:22
I appreciate all the suggestions. I can see for me my greatest challenge in walking the AT is the food. No offense to anyone but if I have to eat Asian food of any sort or Greek food of any sort you will find my starved body on the trail path, just kick it out of the way. I just never acquired a taste for it. Sort of like champagne, never acquired a taste for that either. Ha Ha. Thanks again.

oldmanwinter
09-07-2006, 00:38
IDEA! This wouldn't solve the low calorie problem, but why not cut up or crush some rice cakes and carry in a bag like trail mix. This would solve the bulky problem.

Mouse
09-07-2006, 07:12
I found the dry tortelini that comes in foil bags in the pasta section was a great alternative to ramen. Being cheese-filled, it has a bit more calories, it is easy to cook and tastes not at all like ramen, And like ramen it can be eaten easily straight from the bag without cooking when needed.

Rice cakes would be insane as an alternatiuve as they are so bulky and devoid of calories. It would be as silly as carrying puffed rice instead of granola! Speaking of rice, instant rice makes a useful ramen alternative as well.

MOWGLI
09-07-2006, 08:48
Rice cakes would be insane as an alternatiuve as they are so bulky and devoid of calories. It would be as silly as carrying puffed rice instead of granola! Speaking of rice, instant rice makes a useful ramen alternative as well.

Funny how some of y'all trash rice cakes while promoting ramen. I'd rather forage in the eves of a shelter for mouse nesting material than eat ramen. :eek:

speedy
09-07-2006, 10:05
Moondancer, it's fine that you don't like a lot of different food, but it would be really helpful to know what you do like, besides rice cakes. Like what type of foods do you normally eat. What are your 3 favorite dishes at home? What's your favorite restaurant? So Greek and Chineese are off the list, do you like Italian or Mexican food? How do you like peanut butter?

What about rament is it that you don't like? The flavor, the texture, or just pasta in general.

The main problem with ricecakes is their bulk to calorie ratio, but I'm sure there are some other alternatives out there for you. :D speedy

Alligator
09-07-2006, 10:15
I appreciate all the suggestions. I can see for me my greatest challenge in walking the AT is the food. No offense to anyone but if I have to eat Asian food of any sort or Greek food of any sort you will find my starved body on the trail path, just kick it out of the way. I just never acquired a taste for it. Sort of like champagne, never acquired a taste for that either. Ha Ha. Thanks again.No Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Korean, Greek, or Cypriot food at all? Egads, I think it is a mental not taste issue. Hamburger comes in foil packs, buns are in the bread aisle:p .

Ewker
09-07-2006, 11:11
Hamburger comes in foil packs, buns are in the bread aisle:p .

who is making the hamburger in the foil packs. Jack Links stopped making it a yr ago :(. I liked the Mexican flavored one

Alligator
09-07-2006, 11:29
who is making the hamburger in the foil packs. Jack Links stopped making it a yr ago :(. I liked the Mexican flavored oneUh oh, I didn't notice:o . It'll have to be tuna.

Hey Ewker, did you try the dollar stores? Might be a few left. I've seen foil packs there, but the ones I saw were chili.

Ewker
09-07-2006, 12:38
I will check the Dollar Store and Big Lots out

atraildreamer
09-07-2006, 15:43
Saw a movie "Never Cry Wolf" where the researcher lived off of mice, as did the wolves he was studying. Were there any good recipes in the book? Might be a way to cull down the shelter mice population! :eek:

sarbar
09-07-2006, 17:10
Saw a movie "Never Cry Wolf" where the researcher lived off of mice, as did the wolves he was studying. Were there any good recipes in the book? Might be a way to cull down the shelter mice population! :eek:
Lol...there is a book the Mountaineers put out called "Beyond Gorp" and I kid not, there is "wild game" section in it...and it tells you how to make "Mouse Hamburger". Yummmers :eek: Not! I'd have to be beyond starving to eat that.

Uncle Silly
09-07-2006, 17:46

I wasn't fond of ramen or the Lipton things either, nor am I a rice fan. Most of my trail meals consisted of:

* poptarts & instant oatmeal for breakfast;
* bagels, with peanut butter/nutella + honey, or cream cheese + tuna, or cheddar cheese for lunch;
* trail mix, snickers, Combos, cliff bars, etc for snacks;
* mac'n'cheese or tortellini + fresh garlic + tuna for dinner

I ate a lot of tuna-mac on the trail. I would vary the menu once in a while, depending on what was available at the store, but this is what I usually ate... a bit on the heavy side, but tasty!

hikerjohnd
09-07-2006, 17:52
Funny how some of y'all trash rice cakes while promoting ramen. I'd rather forage in the eves of a shelter for mouse nesting material than eat ramen. :eek:

And I thought I was the only one who refused to eat that craptacular stuff! :eek:

Maybe mouse bedding would be a nice alternative... :-?

Moondancer
09-07-2006, 18:11
No Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Korean, Greek, or Cypriot food at all? Egads, I think it is a mental not taste issue. Hamburger comes in foil packs, buns are in the bread aisle:p .

Mental issue? I am sorry I asked the question. The funny thing is that I do not care for rice cakes one way or the other but I was told that they taste ok with peanut butter or jelly on them. I just thought they might be light to carry. I was just looking for what I could carry along while hiking the trail, that did not involve things that I will not eat. Thanks again for all of your replies.

Alligator
09-07-2006, 20:13
Mental issue? I am sorry I asked the question. The funny thing is that I do not care for rice cakes one way or the other but I was told that they taste ok with peanut butter or jelly on them. I just thought they might be light to carry. I was just looking for what I could carry along while hiking the trail, that did not involve things that I will not eat. Thanks again for all of your replies.I find that people with claim they don't like a whole cuisine have simply not found a dish to like in that cuisine. There is a vast range of dishes available in Asian and Greek cuisine, from the simple to the exotic. You've likely tried some or even many and come to the conclusion that you don't like any. It's a mental block, you're unwilling to try new foods. There's something for everyone in those cuisines.

sarbar
09-07-2006, 20:28
If you haven't ever tried Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mo), try them :) They are light to carry and cheap..and don't taste like American ramen (American ramen is indeed nasty, unless highly doctored.
I'll try almost any food or dish once...just to see if I like it. I work for an importer of Asian foods (we run a website) so I get to try a lot of odd items. It shows in some of the recipes on my website.
My hiking partners get showed new stuff often, some items have them pinching their noses and gagging....like my Thai fried red onions, that could give sense of smell to the dead.

I noticed you mentioned putting PB&Jelly on the cakes..I'd suggest you just take tortillas. You would fill up faster and get more calories (and needed fat). 1-2 tortillas would fill you up, but with the cakes you might eat a whole bag!

Skidsteer
09-07-2006, 20:35
Don't let our comments get you down too much, Moondancer.

I expect we all have our eccentricities. One of my favorite snacks is crackers (http://www.wineskinny.com/graphics/current/150wasa.jpeg) and cheese (http://www.kraftfoods.com/images/ocpimages/44000/04553cf.gif).

hopefulhiker
09-07-2006, 21:07
i tried them, just once....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 21:09
Moondancer, don't let the razing get to you. PB & J on a tortilla is good. PB between choloate poptarts is a dinosaur grand-hatchling favorite. Processed cheese slices and Velveeta keep at room temp and can make a lot of things tasty. In addition to instant mashed potatoes, there are dried hash browns - try those with some onion flakes, some cheese and a sliced up summer sausage.

Think about what you like and then ways to make similar items with easily prepared or instant items and using things like pita, tortillas and bagel in place of breads that don't pack as well. Try some of these at home and ideas on how to do this will begin to come. You can do this.

Two Speed
09-07-2006, 21:19
. . . I am sorry I asked the question . . . Yeah, that happens a lot around here.

:welcome and why don't you try a couple of the suggestions out? Might have a little fun besides finding out you like more kinds of food than you thought at first.

BTW, please let me know if the crisped rice cakes work as pumice. If they worked as pumice AND tinder they'd beat out Cheez-Its as the perfect trail snack.

sarbar
09-07-2006, 21:41
PB between choloate poptarts is a dinosaur grand-hatchling favorite.
That sounds so bad and yet so drool worthy. You have ruined me :eek: <drool!>

Teatime
09-07-2006, 22:57
The Mountain House freeze dried dinners are very good, but expensive for an extended hike. Your local outfitter should have some.
Has anyone tried Nabisco Ginger Snaps as a trail snack? They seem fairly light and are my favorite cookie. Also, Korean Ramen is excellent. The Asian markets might have it. Look for Shin Ramien or Sutah Ramien. (Ramien is the Korean word for Ramen)

speedy
09-08-2006, 02:46
sarbar, I tried the gensoy puffed chip things today. They were so much better than rice cakes. All they had was bbq, which isn't my favorite, but they were definitely closer to potato chips than their styrofoam rice cousins. :D speedy

bigcranky
09-08-2006, 07:41
I was making my daughter's lunch this morning -- peanut butter on caramel-corn cakes, which look sort of like rice cakes but taste a whole lot better. Anyway, a C.C.C. weighs 13 grams and has 50 calories, so it exceeds the 100kcal/oz ratio that seems to be the holy grail for backpacking. That said, these things do take up a lot of space. But they are tasty with a big schmear of PB.

Yes, we have taken them hiking, though more as a special treat than a standard lunch.

Krewzer
09-08-2006, 11:23
We had a contest some years ago to determine who made "The Most Bland" rice cake. I think Winn Dixie store brand was declared the winner by default.

After the first tasting, interest in the contest pretty much disappeared and to my knowledge hasn't been mentioned again in over 24 years.

Farr Away
09-09-2006, 08:55
...Has anyone tried Nabisco Ginger Snaps as a trail snack? They seem fairly light and are my favorite cookie...
Ginger snaps are very tasty and fairly indestructable. (If they do crumble, just mix them into some chocolate pudding!) I checked Nabisco's website, and they're 120 calories/oz, so not bad. Great way to add some 'zing' to your trail snacks. Also, WalMart makes a Triple Ginger Cookie that's very tasty and easier to bite than the snaps, but it crumbles more easily and is more expensive.:(

Another way to pep up your trail snacks: cut some candied/crystallized ginger into your gorp. Wow!!

MOWGLI
09-09-2006, 09:54
Anyway, a C.C.C. weighs 13 grams and has 50 calories, so it exceeds the 100kcal/oz ratio that seems to be the holy grail for backpacking.

Good thing I ddn't know backpacking required math before I started hiking. I stopped taking math after 10th grade (geometry) and am a bonafide math phobic. :eek:

I use a diifferent guideline. If I feel like eating it on the trail - I carry it. Pretty simple - and it works too. :sun