PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism at Lincoln Gap

jlb2012
09-06-2006, 08:27
A fellow I know from another forum had his car windows smashed while parked at Lincoln Gap - details (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/45252,999.php#1439154).

Red Hat
12-31-2008, 13:32
spammer

TomWc
12-31-2008, 14:21
spammer

Um, no, not a spammer. Here's what's at the other end of the link.

“I had a little surprise at the end of my Long Trail section hike on Sunday. When I got back to the trailhead at Lincoln Gap, I discovered that some individual decided it would be fun to smash both driver-side door windows and the rear hatch window on my car. Nothing on the inside of the car was touched. It makes me wonder why some one would do such a thing? What is there to gain from damaging someone else’s property? I called the Vermont State Troopers, but all they could do was give me a case number to give to my insurance company. Thankfully some kind soul taped up garbage bags over the broken windows, which kept most of the rainwater from the previous week out of my car. In addition to that, the hiking community really pulled through. A group of hikers came down the trail shortly after I arrived and offered me additional tape and plastic for the windows. Another hiker gave me an ice-cold beer out of a cooler they had in their car. I taped up the windows and cleaned up enough glass from my seats that I would end up sitting on chards of glass and had a very interesting drive home from Vermont. I should find 3 new windows on my car when I get home tonight. I’m glad my insurance has full glass coverage. I think the next time I do an extended backpacking trip, I’ll arrange for a ride to the trailhead so I don’t have to leave the car there for over a week.”
lumberzac (http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/showname.php?id=lumberzac&rp=%2Ftrailtalk%2Fthread%2F45252%2C999.php)
12:35:23 PM
9/05/06

MOWGLI
12-31-2008, 14:52
Since this thread about vandalism more than 2 years ago on the LT is pretty dated, I'm going to close it. The lesson to be learned is... whenever possible, leave your car somewhere safe if you're heading out for a multi-day hike.

Happy Trails!