PDA

View Full Version : Need boot upgrade

joec
09-06-2006, 08:54
Just recently finished a 3 day hike in the heat and rain. When it rained my boots got soaked and when it was dry, the sweat would not let them dry. I have a leather pair of LL Beans top of the line boots. I have had them forever and like them, they were the only boots I could find at the time that fit my 14 narrow feet. What is the Whiteblaze groups thoughts on a new pair that would help dry out my feet? I will not be doing any thru type hikes, mostly 2-3 day outings. I wonder about low cut trail runners but worry about ankle support in rocky, rough areas. I am 6'2" and about 220 lbs. Thanks for any advice.

MOWGLI
09-06-2006, 09:36
I wonder about low cut trail runners but worry about ankle support in rocky, rough areas. I am 6'2" and about 220 lbs. Thanks for any advice.

Do you use trekking poles? If so, that should alleviate your concerns about rolling an ankle.

Trail runners are better with a lighter weight pack, but I just hiked about 300 miles in wildly different terrain (mud and wet in the Adirondacks, and dry & dusty in the Sierra) in a pair of New Balance Trail Runners - and my pack probably averaged 40 pounds. Worked like a charm - but the shoes were tossed after the last trip.

Two Speed
09-06-2006, 10:04
Uninformed question follows:

Do you fit trail runners the same way as boots?

My apologies for contributing to thread drift.

MOWGLI
09-06-2006, 10:26
Uninformed question follows:

Do you fit trail runners the same way as boots?

My apologies for contributing to thread drift.

I'm no expert on this subject - as this was my first pair - but I'll weigh in anyway. Some folks like my friend Youngblood get their trail runners a size larger than their normal sneaker size. I bought size 13, which is my normal shoe size.

The big advantage to buying trail runners is that there is basically no break-in period. They should pretty much be good to go out of the box.

I hope that helps.

EarlyBird2007
09-06-2006, 10:43
I thought I should share my experience with you. I am the same age as you, though I weigh somewhat less. I've been on several training hikes for my planned 2007 AT thru-hike. I used New Balance trail runners for a while. They work great for me on relatively regular surfaces, whether flat or hilly. But, when I trained on some of the rockier areas of PA, I found that I needed more support, especially going downhill. I looked at several models, and finally chose Asolo Fugitives, which are fairly lightweight full boots. They've been great for me. They have a very short break-in period. I did a 2 day hike of 38 miles with them and had some burning on the bottoms of my feet the second day. Not sure if that was the break-in period or the cheap insoles that came with them. I put in Superfeet insoles and just finished a 4 day hike of 60 miles covering all of Maryland and a little of southern PA. These boots did just great over some fairly rocky terrain. I think the young studs (and studettes) can use trail runners on rocky terrain and be just fine. But some of us older "duds" need more support for our ankles. Asolo Fugitives seem to be just the ticket for me.

joec
09-06-2006, 11:01
Yes, I do use hiking poles. Did not think about that as far as rolling a ankle.

MOWGLI
09-06-2006, 11:05
FYI - like Jim Foster, I used insoles in my Trail Runners.

Mother's Finest
09-06-2006, 14:10
both should fit the same way. The first issue that needs to be dealt with is proper arch support. once one has an orthotic (either pre-made or custom), then proceed to the shoes or boots

when fitting, the insole should be removed and replaced with the orthotic. when a shoe or boot fits properly, in full weight bearing (standing up), there should be some space between the longest toe and the end of the shoe , approx 1/2 thumb width.

again, when standing, there should not be too much excess material across the top of the foot. at the same time, your foot should not feel pinched, or squeezed at the midfoot (bunion area, or base of big toe) Your toes are there for balance, and should be free.

that is it. you should never feel like you need to "break in" a pair of shoes or boots, they are too small for you to start with.....

peace
mf