PDA

View Full Version : What have you used the Lightload Towel for?

TOW
09-06-2006, 13:55
The Lightload Towel weighs .5 ounces and is sold in backpacking stores across the country. I have seen this towel in numerous outfitters along the trail.

I am writing a story centered around this towel, I hope it will be amusing to you guys when I get it done.

Anyway I have used this towel for other than drying. What about you?

Here is a link to the towel: www.ultralighttowels.com (http://www.ultralighttowels.com)

TOW
09-06-2006, 15:30
I hope I and a few others here are not going to be the only ones who have used these towels????

Lone Wolf
09-06-2006, 15:45
They cost too much for what they are. You can buy Handi-Wipes cheaper.

hikerjohnd
09-06-2006, 15:47
I saw the folks at Mr Rogers throwing these things at the hikers in the parade in 2005 (Trail Days) and I picked one up then. I think it is still in my hiking box. I rarely carry a towel - a bandana is just as effective.

Fiddler
09-06-2006, 15:49
I've not heard of them before. I clicked the link, they look interesting. I will have to get a couple and try them.

Lone Wolf
09-06-2006, 15:51
Just another gimmick to get $$ off hikers.

TOW
09-06-2006, 15:56
whatever...........

QHShowoman
09-06-2006, 16:30
We sell these at REI. The only people that seem to buy them are those looking for gifts for kids. I didn't realize they expanded to 3' x 5' feet, I always assumed they were hand towel size. Do you have to submerge them in water to actually get them to open up to full size, like most other compressed towels? I am curious about the fabric used. I might have to pick some up tonight at work and check them out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2006, 16:46
I asked this in another thread - are these towels made of the same material as the handi-wipes kitchen towels? They appear to be in photos. If so, you can get this item for far less than $2 per towel near the sponges in any dollar store or X-mart. I keep them and go-joe on hand for when the male dino does something really dirty like fix his baby (20 yo truck). They might be OK for just drying off, but they don't stand up to cleaning tasks well enough for me to want to use them indoors.

QHShowoman
09-06-2006, 16:49
Oh, nevermind my post about the towels being so big, apparently I was reading the bit about their new beach towels, not their standard towel.

TOW
09-06-2006, 17:09
I asked this in another thread - are these towels made of the same material as the handi-wipes kitchen towels? They appear to be in photos. If so, you can get this item for far less than $2 per towel near the sponges in any dollar store or X-mart. I keep them and go-joe on hand for when the male dino does something really dirty like fix his baby (20 yo truck). They might be OK for just drying off, but they don't stand up to cleaning tasks well enough for me to want to use them indoors.

I don't have an answer for that, I don't know what the material is yet......

Hana_Hanger
09-06-2006, 17:11
I usually carry a couple to hand out as gifts to someone I met and enjoyed talking story with.
I have also used one as a sweat cloth...but that is only if I forgot my AquaDry towel.
There just cute and make great I thought of you gifts...almost all amusement parks such as Disneyland etc...sell them as well.
I don't think I have ever paid more than 99 cents for them though.

saimyoji
09-06-2006, 17:17
They're made of 100% viscose. Viscose is basically modified cellulose.

http://www.fibersource.com/f-tutor/rayon.htm

http://newsblaze.com/story/2006083007300400003.ew/newsblaze/ENVIRWIR/EWorldWire.html

TOW
09-06-2006, 22:26
I usually carry a couple to hand out as gifts to someone I met and enjoyed talking story with.
I have also used one as a sweat cloth...but that is only if I forgot my AquaDry towel.
There just cute and make great I thought of you gifts...almost all amusement parks such as Disneyland etc...sell them as well.
I don't think I have ever paid more than 99 cents for them though.

they sell a bit higher in the outfitters............

QHShowoman
09-07-2006, 09:26
So, I shelled out the $4.95 (less my employee discount) for a package of three of these last night and, well, I think I got ripped off. On the drive home from work, my windows were fogging up on the inside, so at a stoplight, I opened up one of the towels and after a minute of struggling, I finally managed to pull it open from its compressed state. In it's dry and wrinkled state, it was difficult to use, but when it soaked up enough of the condensation to soften it up a bit and was much easier to use. Unfortunately, by that point, the towel was too wet to be of much use and I didn't have the opportunity to wring it out.

When I got home, I took the towel inside to inspect it in the light. It is about the size of two regular paper towel sheets and is the consistency of those blue paper towel things they sell in the automotive section of Wal-Mart or in the vending machines at carwashes for drying your car. While more durable than a regular paper towel, it was still really easy to poke a hole through with my finger.

My assessment: If you want a light, but disposable towel/wipe, and don't mind paying extra for the nifty packaging, this is the towel for you. However, it probably won't last you more than 2-3 days of normal use, so you'll have to pack a handful for extended trips. Now, the medium-sized REI multi-lite towel (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48001596&parent_category_rn=4500614&vcat=REI_SEARCH)weighs the equivalent of 4 of these Lightload towels (and only costs $10), is washable, durable, wrings out when wet to still absorb more water, and has a nifty snap loop so you can hang the towel on your pack when hiking. I've used mine swimming, kayaking, hiking, camping, and traveling and it's never failed me yet.

Ewker
09-07-2006, 09:31
I picked up a few 3 packs that were being given away at Trail Days. I gave a few away to other folks. I still haven't used one yet.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-07-2006, 09:39
Each dino got a MSR pack towel (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11418310&parent_category_rn=4500614)(10" x 14") size free at TrailDays a couple of years ago. They have served since and I would recommend it over a viscose towel for on-going use. The two towels together are adequate for all our bathing / drying needs. They wash out well in the baking soda solution I use for dishes and personal cleansing and wring nearly completely dry.

I understand this same material is available in the car section at WalMart as a large towel you can cut to size for about $6.

Ewker
09-07-2006, 11:09
FD's, MSR gave them away again this yr

TOW
09-08-2006, 12:42
For thos of you who have voted that you used this item as a seat or pack padding, can you explain?

Sly
09-08-2006, 12:54
I used one to make a wick for a torch at Trail Days..... worked great!

asphalt commando
09-08-2006, 13:15
Bought one of these in Caratunk, at Pauls place (when Paul had a place), for 99cents. It turned out to be nothing more than a compressed handi-wipe. Obsolutely not worth the money.

QHShowoman
09-08-2006, 14:04
I tried using one to dry myself off after my shower this morning. While the towel did manage to mop off most of the excess water, it didn't succeed in really drying me off like my REI towel or a regular terrycloth towel does.

boarstone
09-08-2006, 15:50
tourniquet,blisters,....tie up annoying people, kids,cats, dogs....strainer for a still...strainer for anything for that matter...

TOW
09-08-2006, 17:03
So, I shelled out the $4.95 (less my employee discount) for a package of three of these last night and, well, I think I got ripped off. On the drive home from work, my windows were fogging up on the inside, so at a stoplight, I opened up one of the towels and after a minute of struggling, I finally managed to pull it open from its compressed state. In it's dry and wrinkled state, it was difficult to use, but when it soaked up enough of the condensation to soften it up a bit and was much easier to use. Unfortunately, by that point, the towel was too wet to be of much use and I didn't have the opportunity to wring it out.

When I got home, I took the towel inside to inspect it in the light. It is about the size of two regular paper towel sheets and is the consistency of those blue paper towel things they sell in the automotive section of Wal-Mart or in the vending machines at carwashes for drying your car. While more durable than a regular paper towel, it was still really easy to poke a hole through with my finger.

My assessment: If you want a light, but disposable towel/wipe, and don't mind paying extra for the nifty packaging, this is the towel for you. However, it probably won't last you more than 2-3 days of normal use, so you'll have to pack a handful for extended trips. Now, the medium-sized REI multi-lite towel (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48001596&parent_category_rn=4500614&vcat=REI_SEARCH)weighs the equivalent of 4 of these Lightload towels (and only costs $10), is washable, durable, wrings out when wet to still absorb more water, and has a nifty snap loop so you can hang the towel on your pack when hiking. I've used mine swimming, kayaking, hiking, camping, and traveling and it's never failed me yet.
Thankyou QH for this very honest report, this is what I am looking for, the truth and nothing but the truth......

TOW
09-08-2006, 17:04
Each dino got a MSR pack towel (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11418310&parent_category_rn=4500614)(10" x 14") size free at TrailDays a couple of years ago. They have served since and I would recommend it over a viscose towel for on-going use. The two towels together are adequate for all our bathing / drying needs. They wash out well in the baking soda solution I use for dishes and personal cleansing and wring nearly completely dry.

I understand this same material is available in the car section at WalMart as a large towel you can cut to size for about $6.

Any other uses for the MSR Towel?

TOW
09-08-2006, 17:05
I used one to make a wick for a torch at Trail Days..... worked great!

What kind of fuel did you use?

TOW
09-08-2006, 17:08
tourniquet,blisters,....tie up annoying people, kids,cats, dogs....strainer for a still...strainer for anything for that matter...

I bet it would work good as a strainer for good ole moonshine, probably wouldn't last very long though.......

Keep those opinions coming guys, I'm not looking for everyone liking these things..........

sellme69
09-08-2006, 17:44
...sure do work good for buttwipes, but not near as good as those antibacterial ones with aloe from walmart. Refreshing on the bum and make me feel "oh so clean". Also, can't beat the price.

TOW
09-14-2006, 08:22
Anyone else out there ever use these towels?

jgreene
09-14-2006, 08:30
The mice seem to like them for a snack.

TOW
09-14-2006, 08:42
Here is a copy of a reply I sent to George Wheeler from Lightload Towels this morning;
.................................................. .................................................. ...

"That brings to mind, I am going to need about five or ten more of those little boogers. I am going to put them through the ringer. This is going to be a good, honest, truthful report. So be prepared.

Can we make arraingements for a few more of them towels.?

I posted a poll on whiteblaze and so far most hikers have never used them it seems? Or the ones who have used them are not too impressed with them.

Personally I think you have a good item. However this being a towel that will eventually be used for fire starter or for the trash heap on the short term, the price is just too high in the stores scattered along the trail. And most hikers that I know who have used them are not impressed with them simply because of the price.

So if you want me to proceed, I will. But I'm not going to lie about anything here for your product. It is not beneficial for me to do so. I'm going to give the pro's and con's as I see it."

Larry

Vi+
09-14-2006, 18:38
The Only Wanderer,

Reference your Post (#31) which included the contents of a letter you wrote to George Wheeler, Lightload Towels.

One part is particularly intriguing. “... I'm not going to lie about anything here for your product.”

Where are you willing to lie for his product? And/or, what lies are you willing to tell here? :D

Seriously, however, is your inquiry still limited to Lightload Towels, or are you interested in all water-absorbing products?

Peaks
09-15-2006, 10:08
I tried using one to dry myself off after my shower this morning. While the towel did manage to mop off most of the excess water, it didn't succeed in really drying me off like my REI towel or a regular terrycloth towel does.

I'll agree. drying off your body with a light load towel is like trying to dry your body with a single paper towel. Usually doesn't do too much.

After reading this thread, I now think of Light Load towels more like a durable paper towel. Good for drying your cook pot and small items. And maybe a Pack Towel is more appropriate for showering.

Ramble~On
09-19-2006, 10:27
Bandana...

TOW
09-20-2006, 09:33
The Only Wanderer,

Reference your Post (#31) which included the contents of a letter you wrote to George Wheeler, Lightload Towels.

One part is particularly intriguing. “... I'm not going to lie about anything here for your product.”

Where are you willing to lie for his product? And/or, what lies are you willing to tell here? :D

Seriously, however, is your inquiry still limited to Lightload Towels, or are you interested in all water-absorbing products?

Like I said I met George at Trail Day's and told him I would test his towels for him and give him an opinion. I just thought I would post this poll to get a good idea at how the community views them as well.

So far my opinion of them do not match up to the price of them.

George just emailed me back and said that he was hoping that if I liked them that I would say something good about them for his web site. I see several friends of mine have posted there, but I do not know if they are truly as convinced about the product.

Anyhow, I have not written my report yet.