PDA

View Full Version : Campsites along the Approach Trail

pradarelli
04-15-2003, 14:42
Does anyone know of any decent tent sites along the AT approach between Amicalola Falls State Park and Springer Mountain? Me and four other guys are meeting in Atlanta and getting a ride up to Amicalola Falls in mid-May. Because we have to get up so early in the morning, and given the time it'll take just to get to Amicalola, I'm guessing we're not going to have time to hike a mile or two up the approach trail that first day. I just want to know if there's any level land with water nearby where we could pitch our tents that first day.

Thanks.

Max
04-15-2003, 16:01
There are lots of tent site along the approach trail but none of them have water. The first water source you come to is about 1/2 mile before Black Gap Shelter.

max patch
04-15-2003, 17:09
If you are only planning to do only a mile or so I would just plan on staying the first night at the park. Either tent camp or stay at the shelter in the park. Shelter is for thru hikers only; I don't know if they check or if it is enforced.

Otherwise, carry enough extra water to get you thru dinner and breakfast and camp wherever you want.

TedB
04-16-2003, 12:16
I believe the first campsite and water source is Frosty Mountain, which is 4.8 miles from the vistor center. The spring was a 1/4 mile hike down hill from the campsite if I remember correctly. I thought it was a nice spot, but there was some broken glass on the ground.