PDA

View Full Version : Non US Hikers: Visa issues?

ramblinbob
09-06-2006, 14:07
Do any non-US thru-hikers have any comments on getting a visa to hike the trail?

As a UK resident, I can stay for a month or so but I'm not going to get from Maine to Georgia in that time without serious chemical assistance.

Anyway, the way I understand it is to get a longer term tourist visa you must submit your travel plans in advance, and at an interview at the US embassy show you have sufficient funds to complete your trip. I'm hoping that (excluding the equipmnt I start with and my return air fare) I can do the hike on 3000 dollars.

Has anyone been through this, and can you comment if so?

ardeaitch
09-06-2006, 17:06
Info for international visitors can be found at www.state.gov (http://www.state.gov) and follow the links for tourism. While my info is pretty dated, my wife is from the land down under (Australia). She first came here on a visitors visa in 1980 and it seems to me that it was good for at least 6 months and she was able to extend it fairly easily. Things have changed since the attacks several years ago, so check out the current State Dept. website for info. As you say, they are going to require that you demonstrate financial independence for the period of your stay when you enter the country. I hope you enjoy your visit!

Kaptain Kangaroo
09-06-2006, 17:46
I had to get a visa for my thu-hike this year. The process was slightly annoying (lots of forms & had to go to the consultate for an interview) but I had no problems at all with having my application accepted. It seems that they are very interested in making sure that you have good reasons to return home at the end of your trip ie. family, home owner, job etc. & that you do have enough cash to support yourself. The US consulate web site has all the information & forms you need & explains the process very clearly here is the link to the consulate in London

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/index.html

Good luck !

Kaptain Kangaroo

Alligator
09-06-2006, 18:02
What amount of cash is suggested as appropriate for a trip of that long by the consulate? Or at least what amount did folks receiving the extended visas say they had ?

I once had trouble getting into Canada because I didn't have enough cash on hand to cover my trip length (according to the border official).

ardeaitch
09-06-2006, 20:04
Another thing the Immigration folks are looking for when you enter is a ticket out of the country. It looks like a visa to the US is good for 12 months and multiple entries.

'Gator-
On the amount of cash you need, there's probably some formula that an inspector uses depending on the length of stay and and your travel plans, but they don't appear to share the info on the webpages anywhere easily found... In my traveling experiences, I can't recall ever having to show anyone the wad of cash, travelers checks, bank account info or whatever to anyone to get into a country.

Alligator
09-06-2006, 20:52
Another thing the Immigration folks are looking for when you enter is a ticket out of the country. It looks like a visa to the US is good for 12 months and multiple entries.

'Gator-
On the amount of cash you need, there's probably some formula that an inspector uses depending on the length of stay and and your travel plans, but they don't appear to share the info on the webpages anywhere easily found... In my traveling experiences, I can't recall ever having to show anyone the wad of cash, travelers checks, bank account info or whatever to anyone to get into a country.Damn Canadians made us show we had enough cash for a 4 day trip up to Alaska:D . I thought maybe the US would be the similar. I was just brainstorming possible hurdles, visas are time consuming as it is.

Waltzing Matilda
09-07-2006, 13:30
My sisters and I organised US visas for our hike this year. I expect the situation for UK citizens is pretty similar to Aussies. One thing to remember is that although your visa is valid for 12 months and multiple entries, on the border you are generally only given 6 months stay at a time. Of the Aussies we know hiking this year, one was only given 5 months, we were given 6 months and another couple 7 months. It is all up to the discretion of the border officials. We actually have appeals in now to extend our stay. So that may impact on how fast you hike.
Obtaining the visa was pretty straight forward. Just the paperwork, interview and fingerprinting. We never had to prove how much money we had, we just declared it on the forms. As mentioned by someone else, they want to check you have ties to your home country so don't plan to stay in the US, eg family, job, house, etc but we never had to physically prove it, just declare it.
Good luck and have fun
Waltzing Matilda

Downunda
09-22-2006, 00:58
Sure, I had to fill out a couple of forms and front up personally, but I got a six month visa, no worries. As far as proof of funds I just said my trip was self funded. I wasn't asked for any proof.