PDA

View Full Version : Washing sleeping bag

Peanut
09-06-2006, 15:33
Hi all! I am in need of washing my down sleeping bag and need some help. I know I need to wash it in a side-loading washer with mild nondetergent soap. Does anyone have a brand they use or heard is good/correct?
Thanks,
Peanut:)

Smile
09-06-2006, 15:54
I'd try woolite, but I have never washed a down bag....usually do the dry clean thing. I am sure you will get some good advice on here, have fun :)

Footslogger
09-06-2006, 15:58
I had excellent results (multiple times/multiple bags) with a product called "Down Wash" by Nikwax. Use almost an entire bottle in a large capacity front loading commercial washer. Dry it under light heat with a bunch of tennis balls to break up the down clumps. I typically use a dozen or more tennis balls.

'Slogger

Peaks
09-06-2006, 16:06
I suggest buying a special down cleaner soap, usually sold at outfitters.

I think this question has been posted prevously. Do a search.

Peaks
09-06-2006, 16:09
I suggest buying a special down cleaner soap, usually sold at outfitters.

I think this question has been posted prevously. Do a search.

Creek Dancer
09-06-2006, 16:09
I had excellent results (multiple times/multiple bags) with a product called "Down Wash" by Nikwax. Use almost an entire bottle in a large capacity front loading commercial washer. Dry it under light heat with a bunch of tennis balls to break up the down clumps. I typically use a dozen or more tennis balls.

'Slogger

I agree. That is a good product.

I don't have a front loading washer, so I use the bathtub instead. I put the bag in one of those plastic laundry bins, dunk it on the bathtub water, swish it around and gently squeeze the soapy water through the bag. I follow the same procedure to rinse the bag. The whole process takes some time, especially rinsing the bag, but it worked great. I think I found the instructions on the WM website.

rswanson
09-06-2006, 17:02
I use Nikwax Down Wash as well. You can get it at any major retailer like REI or Campmor.com. I go light on the detergent, even though its formulated for down. I also use a bath tub so that I can be sure I'm not damaging my bag (its also much cheaper). Since your bag will loft up with air it's going to be hard to submerge. To further complicate matters, most bags have a DWR finish, water-repellant shell, or both. To make things easier on yourself, stuff the bag in a small stuff sack and submerge it in the soapy water. Then, slowly extract the bag, which will absorb the soapy water solution instead of air. You'll save some time that way. Be careful when you lift your soaked bag out of the water as this is when its most vulnerable to damage. The water-weighted down filling can rip through delicate internal baffling, especially in ultralights that use no-see-um mesh for baffles. I gently squeeze all the water out of the bag I can, then dry the bag in a normal front loading dryer, fluff cycle, no heat, no solid objects. In between cycles, shift the down around and break apart the clumps. When the down no longer clumps, it should be ok to store as normal. You can also let the bag air-dry if you have time (be careful if you hang it not to tear the baffling). This method takes a while but I'm paranoid about damaging my most expensive piece of equipment.

highway
09-06-2006, 17:51
I was faced with the same dilemma a few months ago. My 30 degree FF wren had been used so much that ity smelled, at least 1/2 the loft was gone and was not keeping me as warm as it had been in the past. I called Feathered Friends customer service

http://www.featheredfriends.com/

and they told me basically what the post above said (RSwanson). But when they said they provided a service for doing it themselves for about 30 something dollars, which includes the return postage, I opted for that, instead. For one I dont have a front loading dryer plus my bag is a very good one and i am partial to it and did not want to run the risk of damaging it. It also had developed a small hole in it near the breathing hole and it was leaking down. To make a long story short, they washed it, repaired the hole, after refilling that part with down and it looks now as new as it did years ago when i purchased it. It smells great and I swear appears to loft up more than it ever did. Call them as their customer service is phenomenal. Good luck

highway
09-06-2006, 17:52
Another thing they did say, though was not to dry clean it, as some might suggest

saimyoji
09-06-2006, 18:01
.... To further complicate matters, most bags have a DWR finish, water-repellant shell, or both.

Try turning the bag inside out first. DWR is usually only on the outer shell. Once the bag is soaked, turn it outside out to wash the outer shell.

Peanut
09-16-2006, 10:11
Thanks a ton!