PDA

View Full Version : AT in my math book

Lilred
09-06-2006, 16:58
As some of you may already know, I'm a teacher in Tennessee. We just adopted a new math book this year and lo and behold, in Chapter 1 there's a question about bar graphs with the Appalachian Trail referenced. It shows the states of MA, NJ and NY on the graph and how many miles of the trail are in each state. Needless to say, my students were able to get me off of math and onto a discussion of the trail with very little problems when we came across that question in our homework review today.

my students are no dummies. they already know if they start asking questions about the trail, I may talk so much I forget to assign homework. LOL little buggers....

Footslogger
09-06-2006, 17:02
[quote=Lilredmg]As some of you may already know, I'm a teacher in Tennessee. We just adopted a new math book this year and lo and behold, in Chapter 1 there's a question about bar graphs with the Appalachian Trail referenced. It shows the states of MA, NJ and NY on the graph and how many miles of the trail are in each state.
===============================

Who's the author and what is the title. My wife is an academic and always tries to inject a little of the trail in her writings. She gathered data for her dissertation hiking the AT in 2001.

'Slogger

Blissful
09-06-2006, 17:02
Cute! :)

No matter where people are from around the country, if I tell them what I'm doing next year, they all seem to know what the AT is. No one has said - what's the Appalachian Trail? The majority have said wow, have fun, etc. I think the AT has more exposure out there than ever.

Lilred
09-06-2006, 17:09
[QUOTE=Footslogger
Who's the author and what is the title. My wife is an academic and always tries to inject a little of the trail in her writings. She gathered data for her dissertation hiking the AT in 2001.
'Slogger[/QUOTE]

It's called Holt Middle School Math Course 2 by Holt Reinhart and Winston.
ISBN is 0-03-037958-X

hikerjohnd
09-06-2006, 20:22
That's great! I have used the AT as an example in middle school geography - planning a trip, looking at the people and how they live - it is an excellent tool for kids to learn geography skills and have fun!

SGT Rock
09-07-2006, 01:11
I had the AT in my College algebra course.

Gray Blazer
09-07-2006, 07:29
And they say our kids aren't learning anything in public schools.....You go Lilredmg!! I'm a public school teacher, also, but, I've got it made. I teach Elementary School Music (in other words, I provide a planning break for regular classroom teachers). My kids also are good at getting me off the main subject and they know I love hiking in the mountains. One of my photos is on display in our media center.

Kerosene
09-07-2006, 08:58
Gray Blazer, you'll have to teach them all about earworms (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2695)!