neo
09-06-2006, 19:04
i have really enjoyed my bakepacker,i mainly use it on kayaking trips and
car camping and shorterback packing trips,i have used it on the "AT"
:cool: NEO

http://www.bakepacker.com/

max patch
09-06-2006, 19:48
I make a lot of irish soda bread in mine.

neo
09-06-2006, 19:56
I make a lot of irish soda bread in mine.

what is irish soda bread?i bake a lot of muffin mixes in mine:cool: neo

neo
09-06-2006, 20:23
great places to look for bakepaking:cool: neo

http://www.adventurefoods.com/aflist.asp?Option=New

hikerjohnd
09-06-2006, 20:34
So is it the same thing as an outback oven (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442583670&emssrcid=adwords_outback+oven)?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-06-2006, 20:39
This looks like it does the same thing we used to do with a large pan, 3 or 4 flat rocks and a smaller pan. You put the flat rocks in the large pan, add about 1/2 inch of water, put the smaller pan inside and cover the large pan. It will bake bread or heat up an meal without scorching it (handy for recipes containing milk)

neo
09-06-2006, 22:08
So is it the same thing as an outback oven (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442583670&emssrcid=adwords_outback+oven)?

the bakebacker is different
cheaper,simpler,and you cant
over bake unless you let the pot boil dry:cool: neo

i use the ultralite model
http://www.bakepacker.com/orbak.html

with this 2 quart pot
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=13888&memberId=12500226

with glad twist tie gallon storage bags

and jiffy muffin mix

http://www.jiffymix.com/

fiddlehead
09-06-2006, 22:15
I've tried the bakepacker and then, just used the rock method that the Frolickin Dinosaur describes above. You either need two pots or a zip lock inside.
I've hiked with folks who used the Outback Oven. Although a bit heavy (they were a couple so could justify the extra weight a bit) it does a better job because it will brown the stuff you are baking.
The backpacker won't brown anything as it is using steam instead of dry heat i guess.
They made some good tasting and looking pizza as well as bread many a night.
But the weight???? i'd just as soon not carry it unless it was a short trip i guess.

neo
09-06-2006, 22:20
I've tried the bakepacker and then, just used the rock method that the Frolickin Dinosaur describes above. You either need two pots or a zip lock inside.
I've hiked with folks who used the Outback Oven. Although a bit heavy (they were a couple so could justify the extra weight a bit) it does a better job because it will brown the stuff you are baking.
The backpacker won't brown anything as it is using steam instead of dry heat i guess.
They made some good tasting and looking pizza as well as bread many a night.
But the weight???? i'd just as soon not carry it unless it was a short trip i guess.

the bakepacker will brown some if you bake a little longer:cool: neo

Outlaw
09-06-2006, 23:04
I've been using an Ultralight size Bakepacker for 3+ years. Cooked many a good meal on it for myself and my son... and a couple of crappy ones too.:eek:

I recently modified the unit so that it now fits inside a grease pot. I removed the "honeycomb" from the outer sheetmetal rim and just worked some of the outer pieces with needle nose pliers. It works just the same as before. I've also been experimenting with using this setup with a pot cozy rather than using alot of fuel. So far so good.

Did an Adventure Foods chocolate cake two weeks ago. Needs a little refinement, but I definitely think it will be do-able.:)

Topcat
09-16-2006, 21:49
http://trailquest.net/baking.html

i was going to try this out on my next trip...it looks simple and only requires one pot.

Wil
09-26-2006, 00:55
I've been using an Ultralight size Bakepacker for 3+ years. I recently modified the unit so that it now fits inside a grease pot. I removed the "honeycomb" from the outer sheetmetal rim and just worked some of the outer pieces with needle nose pliers. It works just the same as before.My standard recipe for that bakepacker setup:

3 oz. just about any baking mix *
1 heaping teaspoon powdered whole eggs **
2 teaspoon powdered whole milk ***

Stirred up uniformly (at home) and into a 1 gallon Glad storage bag (non-zip). I push all the powder to a corner of the bag and then cut off a little of the bag top so it doesn't push the pot lid/foil up as the contents expand during cooking; I leave ample bag for some heat-containing folds.

At mealtime:

I put water in the pot only up to 1/2 grid height. I do not pre-boil.

1 oz. water into the bag

Massage the corner of the bag to mix. I press the batter uniformly over the surface of the grids, keeping the corner of the bag centered. Pull up the edges of the bag from the surface of the batter, then fold excess bag loosely.

Cook 10 minutes, set 2.

Within the bag, peel back & turn over, then slides easily onto pot lid or foil to serve. Butter, drizzled olive oil, brown sugar, syrup, whatever over the top.

* cornbread, muffin, biscuit, cake, etc. Krusteaz no-fat fudge brownies are good, but most brownie or greasy batters don't work well.

** I like Adventure Foods eggs; Honeyville are good

*** I like Nestle Nido (Super Walmart) powdered milk; Adventure Foods is OK

I have over the years accumulated many pages of notes on more specific recipes for particular brands/types of mix, varying measures & cooking times and adding salt, sugar, oil, etc. and no question I've gotten better results. But brands and products come & go and it became very complicated and daunting before a trip, so I simplified to the above.

My basic rice recipe:

2 oz. + (generous) rice, real not instant

salt & a little oil is nice

cook 17 minutes, set 3 (water in the pot about 3/4 up the grid). No pre-boiling.

While setting, I frequently add a foil-packed favored salmon or tuna filet, or shrimp, crab, clams, chicken, etc. usually including whatever liquid is included in the foil pack. Maybe some ground pepper. A fine and simple meal.

These portions are too small for many people. I eat light (and you probably do or wouldn't be chopping up a bakepacker light). A bakepacker light can be fit into a larger, mainly higher pot even with the ring cut off, to allow for more food in the bag. It is important that the fit around the edges be very tight with the ring cut off, less important if the ring is intact.

I suspect those who believe bakepacker cooking is like a double-boiler or boiing in the bag or using a pot on stones within a larger pot have not done any benchmarking. The bakepacker works better. I believe the reason is that the bakepacker is more efficiently moving heat from the stove up each cell using very slightly pressurized water & steam as a medium, delivering more heat to what is being cooked than these other methods. Anyway, works for me.

Ramble~On
09-26-2006, 04:25
Ah yes...The Bakepacker...

Aside from the Adventure Foods you can buy off the shelf at your local grocery store and eat like a KING....no mess, no clean up, no dishes...
Eat out of the bag....and then use the used bag as a garbage bag.

Jean at Adventure Foods has an excellent book "THE BAKEPACKER'S COMPANION" full of recipes, nutritional information.

One downside of the bakepacker is the amount of time/fuel required.

Outlaw
09-26-2006, 16:18
One downside of the bakepacker is the amount of time/fuel required.

I agree, using the bakepacker is time consuming, but I've been doing some experimenting with cooking for a shorter period of time and finishing the meal off in a pot cozy.

Probably the one thing I should try doing to make this system work better is to rehydrate certain foods, e.g. pasta, rice, etc. before starting the actual cooking process.

JimM
09-27-2006, 23:18
the bakepacker will brown some if you bake a little longer:cool: neo
I've used it to make gingerbread and brownies...color wasn't an issue...they disappeared too fast.
Jim

Ramble~On
09-28-2006, 04:45
I agree, using the bakepacker is time consuming, but I've been doing some experimenting with cooking for a shorter period of time and finishing the meal off in a pot cozy.

Probably the one thing I should try doing to make this system work better is to rehydrate certain foods, e.g. pasta, rice, etc. before starting the actual cooking process.

Try that..it works. When you first get into wherever you're going to cook add the water to the bag and let it soak for a while...works great on bean or pasta.

Let me know how the pot cozy works out..i haven't tried that.

Outlaw
09-28-2006, 06:43
Let me know how the pot cozy works out..i haven't tried that.
I cooked an Adventure Foods' egg, sausage & cheese breakfast casserole using a bakepacker, alcohol stove & pot cozy. I think cooking directions called for 20-25 minutes. I had the bagged mix on the stove for +/- 7 min., then finished the remainder of the cooking time in the pot cozy (I went the full 25 min.) and it worked out just fine.

I also tried the same technique with an AF baked ziti, and it failed-- but, next time I'll re-hydrate the pasta for a longer period of time and also may use less water than the recipe calls for (it came out kinda soupy).

MOWGLI
09-28-2006, 07:05
what is irish soda bread?:cool: neo

Neo. Obviously not from Da Bronx!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-28-2006, 08:08
I used to camp with a group on a friend's property. One of the guys had the Outback oven. The things we made! I made my son's 9th birthday cake in that oven. Precious memories, how they linger.....

Topcat
10-07-2006, 14:39
Back in the 70's we used to use reflector ovens next to the campfire. They worked great.

neo
10-07-2006, 14:55
Neo. Obviously not from Da Bronx!

:D i am a hillbilly,there aint no hillbilly's in da bronx.:cool: neo

neo
10-07-2006, 14:58
i mainly use my bakepacker on kayaking trips or shorter hikes
:cool: neo