PDA

View Full Version : Trip Planning Help

oldmanwinter
09-07-2006, 00:21
I'm planning a camping trip for sometime in the next few weeks. This will be the first "overnight" wilderness experience for my fiance. We don't want to do anything strenuous or stressful. The ideal situation would be to find a quite place to set up camp near some easy fishing and fun hiking. We like to fish, but we are very unsuccessful at it. We basically just want to catch some pan fish to eat over the fire.
So far, I'm considering setting up camp by the MAX PATCH POND near Hot Springs, NC in the Pisgah Nat. Forest. I plan to set up a "base camp" there and spend a day or so just milling about, catching dinner, and reading. From that location, leaving out camp, I think we can also do a simple day-hike to Max Patch Bald as well.
Does anyone have any information on this area???
Do you see any problems with my plan????
And do you know of any other points of interest near there?????
Thanks.

oldmanwinter
09-07-2006, 01:20
ALSO Alternate Question: How far is the Max Patch Pond from the Rocky Bluff Camp Ground and Spring Creek. I know that both are down 209 from Hot Springs.

Jack Tarlin
09-07-2006, 19:22
I suggest you contact Wayne Crosby or Dan Gallagher at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs (828) 622-7162.

They know the area intimately, and can provide good info on good places to camp; fish; where you can obtain necessary fishing permits; where to leave a vehicle or get a shuttle, etc.

Have a great trip!

oldmanwinter
09-09-2006, 08:53
I called Bluff Mountain Outfitters and although I was unable to speak to either Wayne or Dan, the guy who answered was able to answer most of my questions. Thanks Jack, for the contact info.